Call Vince Young or Matt Flynn...and NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/99404/nfls-reaction-to-matt-flynn-is-telling

I would temper your optimism about Flynn's potential impact on the Packers this season. An elbow injury has played a role in his departures from three NFL teams in the 2013 calendar year, and it's safe to say that a quarterback-starved league wouldn't have left him available all week if it thought he were capable of his performances in 2010 and 2011.

When you're in an emergency, as the Packers are, the value of a player who knows your offense rises.

But actions are the only truth we can rely on in the NFL, and the league's collective apathy about Flynn at the moment tells us pretty much what we need to know.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see this but if you are resting your case for Wallace, based on two games (your Jets post), I find it difficult to not extend that same latitude to Flynn based on his two great games. Then the tie breaker to me is knowledge of the system.

No that article was to show why Flynn wasnt called right away by the Packers (or anyone else) and why he has been on 3 teams in a year..

My stance is that Flynn sucked when tossed into a game with any prep work, (just like Wallace) then when he had the prep, he looked great

But people wont give Wallace a chance..

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 years is a big deal..He had only a handful of starts to get accustomed to really playing..Then he had to keep learning new systems.

He had to learn Holmgrens system, then Holmgren left coaching...So had to learn another new system in Seattle..Then he gets traded to the Browns (where Holmgren felt so confident in him, picked him up) and had to get used to a new system again...

Alex Smith comes to mind...He really wasnt to good in Frisco with different systems and etc...Then jim harbaugh comes along and wham..He was really good..

I posted this somewhere else but it should be here too, explain why I think he is okay..Not GREAT or not even a full time starter, but someone that should be just good enough..

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/03/terry_plutos_scribbles_in_my_n_1.html

Article about Wallace going to the Browns in March 2010

Show me why he sucks...Other than his horrible game last week..

I havent seen to much to tell me he sucks from past articles or other coaches...I been looking for it, but all I see is posters here or on facebook telling me he sucks...I have seen forums from years past where it is split...Half thought he was good and other half thought he sucked..Much like here..

Holmgren was the coach in Seattle through 2008. So Wallace had a good three years under Holmgren. Mora came in and coached one year. After that Wallace got shipped to Cleveland. I hardly see the same circumstances as was with Alex Smith. If he was better than the other QB's in Cleveland I don't see why he didn't get the playing time? Like Bus says we are using the Jets game as a lightning rod??

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think we all should report back here at exactly 3:30 PM on Sunday and we can decide then how Wallace looked with a shortened week of practice under his belt. Let's face it, no matter who the Packers have playing behind center, until Rodgers return, our offense won't be the same. There are probably 64 better QB's out there right now, but they are all on other teams, so in Wallace we trust.....for now.

Key to wins from here on out, is a defense that rises to the challenge of holding our opponents to under 20 points a game.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

12? Drafted in 05 didnt play in 12 so this is his 8th year

started 21 games in those 8 years...3 starts a year on average

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WallSe00.htm

Hard to get used to playing if only starting 3 times a year...

How many different offensive cord has he had and different systems..

Not that it matters, but Wallace was drafted in '03 by Seattle as noted at the top of the pro-football-reference.com profile. He didn't take a snap until 2005.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all should report back here at exactly 3:30 PM on Sunday and we can decide then how Wallace looked with a shortened week of practice under his belt. Let's face it, no matter who the Packers have playing behind center until Rodgers return, our offense won't be the same. There are probably 64 better QB's out there right now, but they are all on other teams, so in Wallace we trust.....for now.

Key to wins from here on out, is a defense that rises to the challenge of holding our opponents to under 20 points a game.
Agree. We have no choice now. Hopefully, he plays better than I think he will.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Holmgren was the coach in Seattle through 2008. So Wallace had a good three years under Holmgren. Mora came in and coached one year. After that Wallace got shipped to Cleveland. I hardly see the same circumstances as was with Alex Smith. If he was better than the other QB's in Cleveland I don't see why he didn't get the playing time? Like Bus says we are using the Jets game as a lightning rod??

Jets game? Ummm no?? He had one td?

Alex dealt with different OC, and wasnt to good..When JH came to town, gave him a new lease and he did real well..

Wallace wasnt going to unseat Hasslebeck..Only got to play when Matt got hurt..

In Cleveland he did get a lot of time...7 starts in 12 games

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but Wallace was drafted in '03 by Seattle as noted at the top of the pro-football-reference.com profile. He didn't take a snap until 2005.

My error..

But he didnt play till 05, that is what I was more worried about

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jets game? Ummm no?? He had one td?

Alex dealt with different OC, and wasnt to good..When JH came to town, gave him a new lease and he did real well..

Wallace wasnt going to unseat Hasslebeck..Only got to play when Matt got hurt..

In Cleveland he did get a lot of time...7 starts in 12 games
My point is that I don't think it was a result of him being faced with different OC's. He had 5 years of education in Holmgren's system.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My point is that I don't think it was a result of him being faced with different OC's. He had 5 years of education in Holmgren's system.

he didnt have a ton of time to hone the skill

He isnt a #1, never was and never will be..But his role is manage a few games till your #1 is back

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he didnt have a ton of time to hone the skill

He isnt a #1, never was and never will be..But his role is manage a few games till your #1 is back
Missing the point ....again. You said his development was retarded by having multiple OC's. I don't think that was the case.

Agree with the second part of your statement.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Missing the point ....again. You said his development was retarded by having multiple OC's. I don't think that was the case.

Agree with the second part of your statement.

5 or what ever years with Holmgren..with not a lot of starts= no time to hone the skill..That is my point..

All the qb school, all the tapes and the books do not allow someone to get the real skills from game time experience..

Then add in different OC for next few years doesnt give him time to settle into one system to get better

Not sure how I cant make it any clearer.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
There are a ton of QBs in this league that you can give 10 years and 100% of the rep to and they still won't cut it. If Wallace hasn't cut it in 10 years, I really doubt that reps are his problem. The train has left the station with regard to an effective journeyman QB, I'd rather have a young player get thrown into the fire and see what he's made of.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Wallace will start Sunday regardless of Flynn's status so we'll see what a week of prep does for the man. As long as Flynn is better than Tolzien then I say sign the kid and see what he can do. If it turns out he's comfortable in MM's system then we could have the next Doug Pederson on our hands, a professional backup who Packer fans felt mostly comfortable with in case he ever had to step in. That's really all we want, a competent, reliable backup.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because sometimes change, especially instant change, is hard.
And it's also because of the unknown.
The only thing we can do is wait for the game and see how Wallace does.
If he is worse than Monday night, well, then we have a problem and the cries of "Bring back Flynn!" will continue.
If he does better than the doubters thought, then there will be a sigh of relief and he will be hailed as the new savior for the team.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace will start Sunday regardless of Flynn's status so we'll see what a week of prep does for the man. As long as Flynn is better than Tolzien then I say sign the kid and see what he can do. If it turns out he's comfortable in MM's system then we could have the next Doug Pederson on our hands, a professional backup who Packer fans felt mostly comfortable with in case he ever had to step in. That's really all we want, a competent, reliable backup.
And I think that's what the Packers staff sees in Wallace. They know him better then we do. Otherwise he wouldn't be starting.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a guess...Wallace - 17 for 26, 255 yards, 2 TD's. Run game = 202 yards on the ground.

Enough for a win.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a ton of QBs in this league that you can give 10 years and 100% of the rep to and they still won't cut it. If Wallace hasn't cut it in 10 years, I really doubt that reps are his problem. The train has left the station with regard to an effective journeyman QB, I'd rather have a young player get thrown into the fire and see what he's made of.
The talents, skills and gifts to be a great starting QB are there for some and others it isn't.
In this case we don't have a starter on Sunday anywhere near the caliber that Rodgers is.
I like to think that the Packers are well aware of this and will find a way to use that as motivation to do all they can to win.
It doesn't take just the QB to win. And when you have someone in there than the starter, maybe we will see a different and better Packers team beat the Eagles.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Mike certainly has a challenge on his hands. Some offer up that Wallace hasn't been able to sharpen his skills, has been through multiple OC's and has not had many opportunities during his 10 year career. Mike has one week to fix all that. I hope Seneca is a quick learner.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No that article was to show why Flynn wasnt called right away by the Packers (or anyone else) and why he has been on 3 teams in a year..

My stance is that Flynn sucked when tossed into a game with any prep work, (just like Wallace) then when he had the prep, he looked great

The difference is that the game you cite in which Flynn "stunk" is basically a career average game for Wallace (he's slightly better but not by much).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a guess...Wallace - 17 for 26, 255 yards, 2 TD's. Run game = 202 yards on the ground.

Enough for a win.

I hope you're right. Both for the Packers and for Wallace. If Wallace can have the best game of his career (i'm not actually checking but that line would be right up there) after no training camp and one week with the first team offense, he should be a starting QB somewhere next year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(bangs head repeatedly against wall) We have a different offensive cord since flynn left with different WRs, TEs, and RBs. So please, stop with "he knows the system". If the system was important he would be in Miami with Philbin

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(bangs head repeatedly against wall) We have a different offensive cord since flynn left with different WRs, TEs, and RBs. So please, stop with "he knows the system". If the system was important he would be in Miami with Philbin
Yeah, this. ^

I dunno why posters are acting like Flynn could come in and be ready to go 5 minutes before game time.
Even though he hasn't been there that long, I think Wallace has a better chance since he knows the current and present team better than Flynn.
Packers are giving Flynn a looksie. If they end up with Flynn, yeah, whatever.
In the Packers I trust.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One factor that I'm not sure has been mentioned is the level of talent that Wallace has had to work with when he's had a chance to play. He had 8 starts with the Seahawks in 2008. A quick glance at their stats has their leading rusher, Julius Jones, with less than 700 yards for the season. The leading receiver was John Carlson with slightly more than 600 yards for the season. No one else had more than 500 yards receiving, including ex-Packer Koren Robinson. Not exactly an offensive juggernaut. On Sunday he'll have Jordy and, hopefully, a healthier James Jones. He'll also get to hand it off to 2 of the hottest backs in the NFL. I think the key, though, is that our offensive line plays better than they did Monday Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts