2023 Division round at the SF

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Swift, Swift-ies, and Kelce don't bother me. In fact I greatly admire Swift for her efforts she makes to her fans. Kelce is one of the greatest TEs ever - I think he passed Gronk on that scale. What I don't like is the TV coverage of having to go to a shot her every few mins. I get that the NFL is exploiting her presence to attract a wider viewership is a shrewd business move. And yes, I would do it if I was in the NFLs position, but I'm not so I don't have to like it!
Both Kelce and Swift are being attacked on Social Media and it isn't due to Swifts career as a singer, nor Kelce's career as a football player. Nor do I think it has anything to do with them suddenly becoming media popular because they ware dating. What it appears to have to do with, are their stances on things outside of their professions. The funny part, because some don't like their viewpoints, those bashing them are somehow saying neither is good at their chosen profession. :rolleyes:

I've never been a big fan of Swift's music, but it is hard deny her popularity and success in the music industry. As far as Kelce goes, I fully agree with you, he is definitely one of the best TE's to play the game. Of course none of that matters to those who don't agree with their viewpoints.

I've been watching pro sports all my life, anytime there is someone famous in the audience, the Networks zoom in on them. I guess I don't see the cutaway to Swift in the press box any different than the zoom ins they used to do of Deanna Favre or Danica Patrick at a Packer game. Jack Nicholson at a Laker Game, Spike Lee at a Knicks game, a President, etc.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not exactly. What I am saying is the odds or probability of them winning would have gone up quite a bit if interference had been called giving them a chance from a spot much closer to the end zone than where they were. Doesn't mean they would have won. Only means they would have had a better chance to do it.
No, you said that it "effected the outcome of the game", as well as "gave the Packers the win".

There are 3 outcomes to an NFL game; a win, loss or tie.

In the case of the chiefs game the non- call did affect the outcome of the game

In the packers game with the chiefs this year there was controversy about a pass interference Non-Call late in the game that gave us the win .

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
I'm not going to watch the superbowl. Nobody in my family will watch. I don't care about either team. Don't want to see 40 cut aways to Taylor Swift everything Kelce is mentioned.
I’ll be watching to see who is going to get beat next year by us in 2024 ;)The bitter sweet IF 49ers Win is that we went toe to toe with the Champs (49ers) in their house and beat the Defending Champs (KC) late regular season within the same season.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Yes there's been a number of players over the years who have earned that bad boy distinction.
Remember Freddy "the hammer" Williamson who had a penchant for jamming his elbow into the top of a guys helmet. Or
Bill romanowski the master of spitting on people.
Ndamukong Duh stepping on people like they were just dirt.
Yes things have changed quite a bit sometimes for the good, other times not so much.
For me it comes down to intent on whether a penalty should be called or not.
When Rodgers was slammed to the ground by one of the vikes and ended up with a broken collar bone when he was already in the grasp that was clear intent and thus the new roughing the passer rule emerged. A good thing in the beginning but the NFL has carried it a bit to far for me now.
The thing about Rodgers is he rarely got the benefit of a rule
but everyone else benefited by his demise once it later caused a rule change afterwards

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you said that it "effected the outcome of the game", as well as "gave the Packers the win".

There are 3 outcomes to an NFL game; a win, loss or tie.
I see what you are saying. Since the packers did win the outcome wasn't affected. A better choice of words on my part would have been to say if PI
had been called the outcome could have been affected, but that's not a guarantee that it would have been affected. The chiefs would still have had to execute a score, but we'll never know...
So now I have to ask you....looking that deep into the written word are you a lawyer?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see what you are saying. Since the packers did win the outcome wasn't affected. A better choice of words on my part would have been to say if PI
had been called the outcome could have been affected, but that's not a guarantee that it would have been affected. The chiefs would still have had to execute a score, but we'll never know...
So now I have to ask you....looking that deep into the written word are you a lawyer?

The bolded statement wasn't what I said. You said the no-call effected the outcome of the game. I asked how you can be sure of that.

I only play a lawyer on the internet. ;)

I posted about peoples claims that certain calls cost a team the game. You chimed in and agreed for the most part, but you mentioned that non-call in the Packer Chiefs game as one that changed the outcome. So I found it kind of fitting, to point out the inaccuracy behind that claim. I could point out at least 2 calls that went against the Packers in that game (late hit on Mahomes and clock being stopped incorrectly), either of those "missed calls" may have effected the outcome as well.

Of course any call, non-call, turnover, dropped pass, etc. has the potential to have possibly changed the outcome of a game, which I think you agree with me on. However, as you also said, we will never know.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’ll be watching to see who is going to get beat next year by us in 2024 ;)The bitter sweet IF 49ers Win is that we went toe to toe with the Champs (49ers) in their house and beat the Defending Champs (KC) late regular season within the same season.
"On any given Sunday"

I felt the same as you while watching both games yesterday. We beat the Chiefs, we split with the Lions, we came very close to beating the 49'ers. The Packers and their fans should be pretty optimistic about 2024.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say, it is cute how Taylor Swift lives rent free in some peoples minds. She isn't the first celebrity to hook up with a famous athlete, yet for some reason, there's a small minority of football fans that just can't stop talking about Taylor and Travis and how much they hate them.
I can't help but thinking football fans are upset because she is the more famous one of the pair. If he had hooked up with some low rent wanna be pop star no one would care but when the non football member of the pair is second fiddle in the relationship it somehow emasculates them.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's the thing, chemist. Go back and watch that play where arguably they should have called PI on the long throw to MVS. Keep an eye on their left tackle. Well before the ball is thrown, he shoves his hand right in Preston Smith's face. So if that play had been called correctly, it would have been offsetting penalties and replaying the down. Here's a screenshot blown up a little bit. But watching the video is better.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

So the only effect the no-call had was to make it 2nd down instead of 1st down again. Considering they got 15 free yards and the she-ref stopped the clock instead of running it with 0:19 left, the Chiefs came out way ahead on that fiasco.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly. What I am saying is the odds or probability of them winning would have gone up quite a bit if interference had been called giving them a chance from a spot much closer to the end zone than where they were. Doesn't mean they would have won. Only means they would have had a better chance to do it.
But again, if the play had been officiated correctly, it would have been offsetting penalties, not Chiefs ball inside the 10.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
We beat up on the Chiefs. They were lucky to have a chance to get close enough to try the whole complaining about various calls. I saw the EXACT same infraction plays by our opponents DB who, in playing the ball, hit a guy before the ball got to our receiver. It’s Football! They constantly are bumping and arm bars and all. However the DB’s were watching the ball and making a play on the ball but contact was early. It actually happened to The Packers on a smaller level several times towards the end of the season and wasn’t called. It happened to Doubs twice. He got assaulted before the ball arrived.

When a defending DB is looking back and playing the ball and a WR suddenly changes direction or spontaneously stops to adjust and causes a collision? That becomes a judgement call in real time. The DB becomes a WR if he’s playing the ball with intent. Our DB (and EVERY DB) had every right to fight to get to the ball and this has happened dozens of times in 2023 alone without an interference call. Those interference plays are being confused with a DB WITHOUT his head turned and fixated on the ball.

Someone else pointed out. If that play was caught and not in the Paint? The clock should’ve expired. Now someone is trying to convince me it’s 100% a TD. At best KC had 1 play to run at goal to go for a
L or W
At worst the gameclock expires.

Once again. Just like the Dez Catch, which 100% was a football move. It did NOT decide the game. Nobody seems to recall with Dallas we had multiple timeouts and several minutes left in 4 down territory. We also moved the ball nicely on the ensuing drive. GB wins the game either way. It’s called a Loser mentality when we attempt to dissuade the reality.
The Catch was NOT W or L defining nor was the aforementioned play guys are debating. There were at least 3 poor calls leading up to that arguably and admittedly a non interference, poor call. Erase 1 bad call and erase them all. If you want to be the better team in this league try not playing from behind with a seconds left.

KC is fortunate they aren’t playing GB in a SB. We’re more dynamic imo. If Jordan just happened to be on point? I actually think we’d beat KC and we imo after what I saw? We pair with KC really good, plus Watson was just getting healthy and Dillon would’ve been back also.
I’m being serious.
I also think we would’ve beat Detroit. 49ers deserve it though they didn’t let up at the end like Barry we did

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes there's been a number of players over the years who have earned that bad boy distinction.
Remember Freddy "the hammer" Williamson who had a penchant for jamming his elbow into the top of a guys helmet. Or
Bill romanowski the master of spitting on people.
Ndamukong Duh stepping on people like they were just dirt.
Yes things have changed quite a bit sometimes for the good, other times not so much.
For me it comes down to intent on whether a penalty should be called or not.
When Rodgers was slammed to the ground by one of the vikes and ended up with a broken collar bone when he was already in the grasp that was clear intent and thus the new roughing the passer rule emerged. A good thing in the beginning but the NFL has carried it a bit to far for me now.
Remember the DL with the Vikings. They showed network footage of him taunting Charlie Batch with the Lions 25 years ago. John Randle.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we could of won the whole dang thing!
Let's be honest. We weren't ready for a SB yet. To young, to inexperienced, a suspect defense that needed improvement in personnel, schemes and strategy.
You need all those things to be working at a higher level to have a chance.
Very experienced teams have already faced the realities of SB week many times and know how to respond even when they make mistakes, and there's always mistakes made even from the best of teams.
The chiefs showed that experience last night. When the OT started the chiefs had the 49rs stopped cold on their first drive. SF was getting ready to punt the ball away when a late holding call gave the 49rs new life. Wow...what a gift...what a shift in momentum....SF drove the field, got deep into KC territory but you could see the chiefs had regrouped and took some of that momentum back when they held them to a FG. That's what experienced teams do. They take their power back and they showed that again last night.

That's our target and hopefully we( meaning players and coaches) have gained enough EXP this season under playoff pressure to move us to another level.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the play that got me, was little noticed. Under 2 minutes to play in regulation needing to score. Mahomes went back to pass on first down....just like Love did, Mahomes scrabbled to his right. Mahomes kept it and ran out of bounds for 2 yard gain. Love through it accross his body for the pick to SF. Thats what i want Love to learn. Mahomes lived to play another down...he used his legs late in the game, he moved the chains. Mahomes has the "it is time" vein in him. That the differance...hard to replicate. Its just in you.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the play that got me, was little noticed. Under 2 minutes to play in regulation needing to score. Mahomes went back to pass on first down....just like Love did, Mahomes scrabbled to his right. Mahomes kept it and ran out of bounds for 2 yard gain. Love through it accross his body for the pick to SF. Thats what i want Love to learn. Mahomes lived to play another down...he used his legs late in the game, he moved the chains. Mahomes has the "it is time" vein in him. That the differance...hard to replicate. Its just in you.
Absolutely agree. Love has enough speed to avoid defenders, extend plays or gain yds on his own when needed. That across the field pass you mentioned was a mistake that will stick with him. Exactly the kind of experience he needed.
For me the experience gained this season far outweighs that loss to SF.
Its what we needed to move forward with a new DC that has a different mind set when it comes to schemes.
Things are falling into place.
Also KC has a great money place kicker. He rarely misses anything. We could use one of those too.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
Exactly.
Theres a probability thing I like to do in my mind. Yards vs Time. Obviously having to factor moving the chains and Timeout count

Love ideally needed the SF30 (47 yarder) or their SF40 yard line worst case (57 yarder).
Love was at the GB36 at 1st n 10 with :52 seconds.
If each play is roughly 7 seconds (throw incomplete or use sideline) then you can create a play by play probability to goal. 34 yards was an ideal goal for needed yardage for a FG
34yards/7 seconds = 4.8 yards PER PLAY
That means 5 yards is a statistical Win per play. He could’ve actually increased our odds making it to the GB44 yardline and stopped the clock. Even if he picks up 3 yards with a clock stop it helped because he still needs 2-3 more 1st downs and you need 2.5 per play to move the sticks in 4-down. We didn’t NEED a 20 yard play there and unless it’s 4th down you never throw it up for grabs. Worst case if you can’t beeline the sideline for a + gain? throw it OUT OF BOUNDS. ideally past LOS to eliminate a grounding interpretation.

I think that’s kinda what you are referring to but more stating a more intricate example. Use the clock and don’t get impatient unless you are out of Timeouts or you see a blatant broken play.

PS. I also don’t understand why he rolled to the side without any outlet WR. To complicate it? he rolled play weakside.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PS. I also don’t understand why he rolled to the side without any outlet WR. To complicate it? he rolled play weakside.
It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall thinking at that moment that he was probably trying to give himself some space hoping that someone would still get open in time, and eventually just ran out of ideas and did something desperate to try to make something happen. I'm not sure if that fits what actually developed at the time though; just the only thing I could think of at the moment.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That across the field pass you mentioned was a mistake that will stick with him. Exactly the kind of experience he needed.
That's the first thing I said to myself when it happened. I said, "This kid learns from his mistakes, and that's the last time he'll ever make that one. He's going to lie awake every night for the next 8 months, staring at the ceiling and playing that down over and over in his head."

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.
Theres a probability thing I like to do in my mind. Yards vs Time. Obviously having to factor moving the chains and Timeout count

Love ideally needed the SF30 (47 yarder) or their SF40 yard line worst case (57 yarder).
Love was at the GB36 at 1st n 10 with :52 seconds.
If each play is roughly 7 seconds (throw incomplete or use sideline) then you can create a play by play probability to goal. 34 yards was an ideal goal for needed yardage for a FG
34yards/7 seconds = 4.8 yards PER PLAY
That means 5 yards is a statistical Win per play. He could’ve actually increased our odds making it to the GB44 yardline and stopped the clock. Even if he picks up 3 yards with a clock stop it helped because he still needs 2-3 more 1st downs and you need 2.5 per play to move the sticks in 4-down. We didn’t NEED a 20 yard play there and unless it’s 4th down you never throw it up for grabs. Worst case if you can’t beeline the sideline for a + gain? throw it OUT OF BOUNDS. ideally past LOS to eliminate a grounding interpretation.

I think that’s kinda what you are referring to but more stating a more intricate example. Use the clock and don’t get impatient unless you are out of Timeouts or you see a blatant broken play.

i think Love rolled that way due to pressure....but i would have to look at the play again. If im Love that's the play that keeps me up at night till september. Love is light years ahead where i thought he be at this point. But to get to that next level hes has to make it happen in crunch time. I dont know how you define those guys like Brady Mahomes and Montana...i guess im mean the intangables over their skills, their thinking procees, their heart, their leadership. Its funny i actually think Love is going get to current top 5 level QB. He's going to keep learning, he's going to rise higher.

OP
OP
OldSchool101
Reaction score
It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall thinking at that moment that he was probably trying to give himself some space hoping that someone would still get open in time, and eventually just ran out of ideas and did something desperate to try to make something happen. I'm not sure if that fits what actually developed at the time though; just the only thing I could think of at the moment.
Agreed. That’s fine. Then branching off on that concept his next outlet is either make the sideline if he thinks he can get 2.5 yards area or immediately throw it at the sideline and get a 4-5 sec play clock stop if he thinks he can’t make the LOS+. It almost needs to be a rehearsed thing though and to me? He wasn’t prepared for those “end of game” progressions.
My hope is he learns from it and that Matt recognized that and turns it into a practiced routine. He needs to spend an appropriate time on making those end of clock decisions both accurately and consistently until it’s part of his DNA.

Those exact scenarios come up every several weeks either before halftime, end of Regulation or in big time games in OT. Most of the QB greats have a bead on what I’m talking about (Elway, Marino, Manning, Brady, Rodgers to name a few) The reason we know that is that sinking feeling in your stomach when you did a 2020 NFC game and purposely handed the ball back to those guys with time. It’s a death wish to expect Tom Brady to not get a pair of 1st downs imo.
It’s very apparent to me (and obviously yourself and others too) it’s a current weakness and it had better be addressed. We will know very soon too. I think Jordan can turn this into a strength if he spends the time in an intentional manner to correct it.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I chalk it up to...dudes a little more Favre than Rodgers. Which should be a good thing because I think if Rodgers had a little more Favre in him...he'd have thrown more ints but the Packers would of won another SB with him

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you want our current QB to be more like are past QB who wasn't as good as our most recent QB?

Members online

Latest posts