Bretts is Getting the best Weapons Possible

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is always said that defense wins championships. You cant argue with that even the Colts D had miraciously showed up in the playoffs.
As fans we can easily become distraught and cranky over how TT addresses the offseason. 05 was a wash as Cap Hell loomed and the ability to maintain an effective O-line and a Defense that muddled its way through the season. In 06 after a great draft the LB corps finally looked like it was getting somewhere and the secondary was stregthened but struggled mightily in zone packages allowing alot of big plays.

Now 07 is here after what many would be caught scratching there heads and bemoaning not getting Moss the call went up loudly to fire TT and send him on the long walk down the short pier into the bay. Well I am not a TT hater. Not a liking him either. If anything I am impartial. We do however we have to remember that his management we now have cap room to manuever. While he may not have signed a big name reciever for Favre here is what he did do.

D Line
Harrell has alot of potential and health is not a real big issue he had reall one major injury in college and the timing of it was bad and he could not get that year of eligibilty back to make another go at a senior season. He is almost fully recovered. From what I have read he is very very quick and flys to the ball. Remember sacks begin from the inside out the interior line must press the middle and allow the ends to come in and clean up.

Safeties
Rouse is an interesting prospect he is a very good athlete with great speed and hieght for a safety. dont be surprised to see him early in packages that allow him to sneak up for a few safety bliztes if he gets into the lineup.

TE
While the late pick was not what you would call great he does have decent size and speed and cathes with his hands. so if he is a quality back up to start and can work his way in may be a special player

Special Teams
Did anyone notice the amount of LB's taken. These will be KR KC guys that will fly blocking and hitting Also pick up a kicker to develop better technique and can boom kicks.

So in short with a better D it is Favre's best option and weapon. A better defense allows opponents to score less points and allows Brett more times to touch the ball. Also last years O-line will be stronger and more experienced and allow more options in the passing game as TE's are freed up.

So in short it is not all doom and gloom from were I sit. Like any season it is a crap shoot until you see something of the composition after the 3rd preseason game. We will then have an idea. Schedule is tough but we can compete if the pieces are the right ones.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks z2c I probaly could have touched on other draftees but dont really know much about them I know the RB we picked up is a good pick as he was highly touted and fits the ZB scheme real well

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm not too high on Brandon Jackson. Just something about him doesn't trigger me excited. Maybe that'll change the more I see of him as I don't watch enough college ball.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya but what limited things i have seen make me go wow. Gil Brandt thought he was the steal of the draft so we will see

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with the theory that Defense wins championships. What I do disagree with is "Brett getting the best weapons possible."

Even if you go with Defense Justin Harrell is nowhere near the BEST we could have got. That would have been Adelius Thomas. Justin Harrell may be a decent player but he is not a gamechanger by any means. We had C. Williams who everyone was raving about 2 weeks before the draft. It was not the upgrade the Pack needed and it was a position we had depth at. Again, noone said a word about Harrell before the draft, now it was a great pick?

Your optimism is fine but let's not look at Harrell and Walker and act like TT did the "BEST POSSIBLE" thing by bringing in these guys. I don't see teams like Buffalo and Miami kicking themselves in the *** for not landing Harrell anytime soon.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Just as everyone was raving about C Williams, the same applies to Harrell. Most were wrong about Williams, whats to say you are right about Harrell?

Anything could happen, you don't know this or that, just as I nor anyone else.

All we can do is speculate an shout out our opinions.

I don't think Harrell is a gamechanger either, but as I've said before, I haven't seen much college ball to make an intelligent observation. Just going on the clips I've seen.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree with the theory that Defense wins championships. What I do disagree with is "Brett getting the best weapons possible."

Even if you go with Defense Justin Harrell is nowhere near the BEST we could have got. That would have been Adelius Thomas. Justin Harrell may be a decent player but he is not a gamechanger by any means. We had C. Williams who everyone was raving about 2 weeks before the draft. It was not the upgrade the Pack needed and it was a position we had depth at. Again, noone said a word about Harrell before the draft, now it was a great pick?

Your optimism is fine but let's not look at Harrell and Walker and act like TT did the "BEST POSSIBLE" thing by bringing in these guys. I don't see teams like Buffalo and Miami kicking themselves in the *** for not landing Harrell anytime soon.

Did I say he was a Game CHanger hmmm mno I dont think so. Was stating he had potential at this point that is what all drafees have. I was speaking of the D as a group in terms of success or failure no one man does it all. Ask Brett about that. WIN AS A TEAM LOOSE AS A TEAM

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think defense winning championships is one of those horrible cliches that need to die a horrible death. A solid team wins championships. da Bears had the better defense, they just had the worst QB to ever play in an SB last year.

Otherwise, good read.

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I agree that it is an old cliche the problem with the bears is while the Colts had a great offense with an improving D the Bears had a great D with a declining offense unfortanelty/Fortunatly depending on your point of view the Bears went completely out of their strong suit ie running game with passing to keep drives going and turned into a one dimensional team that could not keep pace with the colts. The Colts played downhill and the Bears became reactive in thier defense and pressing with the offense which created a situation where Wimparanus Rex came out and meowed. ALSO THE BEARS WERE AMONG THE WORST IN RECIEVING YARDS ALLOWED. That in of itself does not lend well to a team that lives of the pass like the colts.

If the Packers D can get into the top 12 in defense and top 16 in Offense you could easily see this team in the playoffs.

My Point was also special teams and there shouldbe improvment in coverage and returns which while not directly correlated to Defense and Offense it is a HUGE part on how well a defense does.

One of the biggest reasons the Pack never got back to the Superbowl was Shermans inability or lack of attention to KR KC PR and PC areas of the game. Respectable special teams can swing Defensive and Offensive stats into the positive arena.

That is why I feel Bretts best friend will not be a WR or a TE it is O-Line RB D and ST. With good production in those areas WR and TE can only improve.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I agree that it is an old cliche the problem with the bears is while the Colts had a great offense with an improving D the Bears had a great D with a declining offense unfortanelty/Fortunatly depending on your point of view the Bears went completely out of their strong suit ie running game with passing to keep drives going and turned into a one dimensional team that could not keep pace with the colts. The Colts played downhill and the Bears became reactive in thier defense and pressing with the offense which created a situation where Wimparanus Rex came out and meowed.

If the Packers D can get into the top 12 in defense and top 16 in Offense you could easily see this team in the offense.

My Point was also special teams and there shouldbe improvment in coverage and returns which while not directly correlated to Defense and Offense it is a HUGE part on how well a defense does.

One of the biggest reasons the Pack never got back to the Superbowl was Shermans inability or lack of attention to KR KC PR and PC areas of the game. Respectable special teams can swing Defensive and Offensive stats into the positive arena.

That is why I feel Bretts best friend will not be a WR or a TE it is O-Line RB D and ST. With good production in those areas WR and TE can only improve.

Another nice read yeah if they can stay close in the boards like you said then that will say we are a good solid team

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides I remember Brett stated in 05 that before Packers D could cover his mistakes. It was not that he had more it was that he had to Press all the time and was never really in a game to a lead.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides I remember Brett stated in 05 that before Packers D could cover his mistakes. It was not that he had more it was that he had to Press all the time and was never really in a game to a lead.

I see what you're saying. As much as I love Brett, he's the best QB in NFL history at keeping a lead, but he can do some not too pretty things trying to play catchup. :rubeyes:

OP
OP
J

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exatamundo and when he did not have to play catch up ie 10 -14points + He can be clutch. He has alot of game winning drives but when you are trying to push back from a deficit or you know your defense cannot hold a 3 point game you push in bad directions hoping for a miracle. The Holmgren period proved that with a good to above average D you can do great things. The QB gets the glory as well as the blame.

Look at tom brady without his D and special team he is a 3 time superbowl loser No good D and no good kicker and well you know the rest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts