Are the Green Bay Packers the Notre Dame of the NFL?

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day... Do college football players really want to be drafted by the Packers? I was listening to Chris Carter say how much he hated playing in Green Bay because of the lack of things to do in the community.

I was listening to ESPN radio about the time Weiss was getting fired. They were discussing how high school seniors don't care about the history and the legacy of playing for the Irish. Recruits want to play in the SEC where its is warm. As you go down the list of 5 star college recruits... they generally fall along the coast of the United States.

So my question is... Does the Packers legacy really matter to college players about to be drafted? Should the Packers focus on players that are used to playing in colder weather games?

PackAttackUK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would imagine there are some players who don't care about the Packers legacy (or any teams for that matter), they just want big bucks, a big city to live in, and warm weather.

But I think (well, would LIKE to think) that there are players in college who would love to be part of a great franchise, even if it does involve cold weather, and a city where there may not be much to do.
I know what I would choose every time.
It must be an amazing feeling running out for Green Bay, with our great traditions, great history, and great pride.

I think the players that do want to play for a great franchise, stand out. Look at Clay Matthews. That guy just wants to play ball. He doesn't care about being flashy, or being in a city where there are a million things to do, he knows he's here to play ball for a great franchise. These are the types of guys you need to draft. I kinda imagine BJ Raji to be a bit like what I mentioned up top. I hope he proves me wrong.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I was thinking the other day... Do college football players really want to be drafted by the Packers? I was listening to Chris Carter say how much he hated playing in Green Bay because of the lack of things to do in the community.

I was listening to ESPN radio about the time Weiss was getting fired. They were discussing how high school seniors don't care about the history and the legacy of playing for the Irish. Recruits want to play in the SEC where its is warm. As you go down the list of 5 star college recruits... they generally fall along the coast of the United States.

So my question is... Does the Packers legacy really matter to college players about to be drafted? Should the Packers focus on players that are used to playing in colder weather games?
Well, I doubt Carter ever stayed in Green Bay.(Visiting teams usually stay in Appleton) So he must be dissing my hometown of Appleton. And since I am sure he had so much time to go out on the town before the game that he was bored to tears. There are things to do, maybe not the overpriced nightclub life that you have in places like Miami or New York, but you could certainly walk down the street and have a beer at Cleo's Brown Beam.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
No. The Packers don't get nearly as much media attention as Notre Dame does.

Regarding the tradition thing, I think players care more about the climate they play in now than they do tradition. That probably wasn't always true, but I think it is now. I remember just seeing an SI Players poll where Green Bay was one of the least desirable places for players to go.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Regarding the tradition thing, I think players care more about the climate they play in now than they do tradition. That probably wasn't always true, but I think it is now. I remember just seeing an SI Players poll where Green Bay was one of the least desirable places for players to go.
It probably has more to do with not being able to disappear when out on the town. After all how many people in Green Bay are the same size as Packer players. (in height, not weight, which I am sure there are a few) Not to mention if they are African-American Green Bays' demographics are a bit skewed against them.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My bold/italics for emphasis.

Thank goodness for global warming. GB won't have the whole climate thing to worry about now. Gonna be a hot time in the old town tonite. WOO HOO!

badgergrrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Carter's comment comes from the younger players who are looking for the partying/clubs that larger markets offer.

I have read other reports that older, more established players who have settled down love Green Bay because it has great schools for their kids and the community embraces their families.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I have read other reports that older, more established players who have settled down love Green Bay because it has great schools for their kids and the community embraces their families.
Ironic, considering our GM refuses to sign older, more established players.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
First of all, the players that care more about the things to do around them rather than the team they are playing for are the kinds of players you don't want on your team anyways. Even T.O. was smart enough to realize that he was rich enough to fly anywhere whenever he wanted to, when he decided to come to Buffalo.

Second of all, we usually compensate for the conditions with $$$$$.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well, I doubt Carter ever stayed in Green Bay.(Visiting teams usually stay in Appleton) So he must be dissing my hometown of Appleton. And since I am sure he had so much time to go out on the town before the game that he was bored to tears. There are things to do, maybe not the overpriced nightclub life that you have in places like Miami or New York, but you could certainly walk down the street and have a beer at Cleo's Brown Beam.

...and if you have Cleo's what more do you need? That's what I always say...sometimes.

First off, chris Carter is a ***. Always has been and always will be. I would suggest that no one listen to ESPN. It's just not useful. These clowns will play anywhere that dangles the most money at them...nothing else is a consideration, truthfully.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Ironic, considering our GM refuses to sign older, more established players.

Funny...

In all seriousness, we are lucky that younger guys eventually get older, married, have kids etc... I really think this in general only applies to the high picks since most lower picks and street FAs just want to be in the league and have more on their mind than the night life. But, with respect to the young prima donnas, typically, you can control a player the first 5-6 years of their career if you desire. The rookie deals are typically 4 and sometimes 5 years. If less then then they are restricted FAs and if not if you really like them there is the franchise tag. Hopefully, even if you have a player that isn't thrilled about being drafted by GB, by the time their deal is up, they are dealing from reality, not reputation and also, hopefully the natural maturation process has changed their point of view a little. IMO, if they never grow up these are USUALLY not the type of guy you want on your team anyway.

In any event, I think that aside from being great players, there is another reason you always want a Reggie White or a Charles Woodson on the team. These are guys that the young pups look up to, respect and listen to when they speak. Having at least one guy on the roster (hopefully more) like that IMO pays more dividends than just on Sundays. IMO they stabilize the locker room and they help the young kids get their head right. Listen to what Woody has had to say about Green Bay and how he at first dreaded the idea of playing for us and now cherishes it. Anyone think that a guy like that isn't a valuable asset in the locker room talking to the young kids who don't think Green Bay is the place for them?

IMO it is important to always try to have guys like this around - and as I said, when they can play at a super high level that is just one big bonus. Nobody in the world knew what Ted was talking about years ago when he said he wants to find players that are "Packer People." That term makes a lot more sense to me now than when he said it.

OP
OP
Cardsmc25

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny...

In all seriousness, we are lucky that younger guys eventually get older, married, have kids etc... I really think this in general only applies to the high picks since most lower picks and street FAs just want to be in the league and have more on their mind than the night life. But, with respect to the young prima donnas, typically, you can control a player the first 5-6 years of their career if you desire. The rookie deals are typically 4 and sometimes 5 years. If less then then they are restricted FAs and if not if you really like them there is the franchise tag. Hopefully, even if you have a player that isn't thrilled about being drafted by GB, by the time their deal is up, they are dealing from reality, not reputation and also, hopefully the natural maturation process has changed their point of view a little. IMO, if they never grow up these are USUALLY not the type of guy you want on your team anyway.

In any event, I think that aside from being great players, there is another reason you always want a Reggie White or a Charles Woodson on the team. These are guys that the young pups look up to, respect and listen to when they speak. Having at least one guy on the roster (hopefully more) like that IMO pays more dividends than just on Sundays. IMO they stabilize the locker room and they help the young kids get their head right. Listen to what Woody has had to say about Green Bay and how he at first dreaded the idea of playing for us and now cherishes it. Anyone think that a guy like that isn't a valuable asset in the locker room talking to the young kids who don't think Green Bay is the place for them?

IMO it is important to always try to have guys like this around - and as I said, when they can play at a super high level that is just one big bonus. Nobody in the world knew what Ted was talking about years ago when he said he wants to find players that are "Packer People." That term makes a lot more sense to me now than when he said it.

I completey agree with you about not wanting to have those guys who don't want to be here. At the same time, some of those players are the biggest impact players in the league. I wonder if when free agency comes around Green Bay is suffering with collecting some of the best.

I love history and I love how much the Clevelands, Green Bays, and even the Chicago fans love their teams. There are so many expectations for these players because these are working communities. I sometimes wonder if these factors aren't as important to young players these days.

Overall, I think money talks. A MAJORITY of the NFL is there for the dollars, but I feel like you're going to run into some losses during free agency because of Green Bay's climate.

And for whoever said Chris Carter is a ***... he made a GREAT point this year. He spoke about how the Packers lost a LEGEND quarterback, but were able to plug in a guy who gets it and has the talent.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To form an opinion based on a non-Packer's opinion is just way out there.
If you think that players aren't coming to Green Bay because it's too boring then why is there a team at all?
I would like to think that players will be sign up because they just want to play football and help the team no matter where it's located.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a fan of both organizations, I say yes.

They're both the most history rich organizations in their respective area, and both have a great number of fans displayed all over the country, and the world, moreso than almost every competitor.

Also, there's the independence trait. ND refuses to join any conference, and Green Bay is the only publicly owned franchise in USA.

There's the root trait. Though not exactly the beginning of GB, but Jim Crowley, one of the famous Four Horsemen of Notre Dame, was the first Head Coach of Vince Lombardi, during his days at Fordham University.

-

Now, about players not wanting to go to ND and GB because of the place, and lack of regard to tradition, to me it's pretty simple:

1) At College, HS players want to go to a place where they think they'll be allowed to star, and also be able to be highly regarded to the draft.

2) At the NFL, players want Money.

I see a list of decreasing value about the players' interest in joining teams. It may vary with each player, but I believe the majority feels this way:

College:
1) How he'll be used in the program, and if he'll be allowed to shine.
2) How well players from that program are drafted.
3) Sucess of that program.
4) Facilities.
5) Location.
6) Tradition.

NFL:
1) Money.
2) Money.
3) Money. (made my point)
4) Way he'll be used.
5) Staff and roster.
6) Sucess of the franchise.
7) Location.
8) Tradition.

As I said, it may vary from player to player. Veteran players that have never won the SB may regard the sucess of the franchise and the roster and staff more than the money. Some players do regard tradition and fandom when choosing. And college players may want to stay near home, or go where his friends will be heading.

But I firmly believe that, in the NFL, if the money is right, a player will go there, unless he has been greatly mistreated by the organization or by one of the staff member. If the Packers make an offer 1.5X bigger than the next team, the player will come...

don_frosto

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love history and I love how much the Clevelands, Green Bays, and even the Chicago fans love their teams. There are so many expectations for these players because these are working communities. I sometimes wonder if these factors aren't as important to young players these days.

I completely agree with you there. It's that connection that distinguishes our teams from others. It's great knowing that our teams do more than just play football.

Now I admit, there might be some Green Bay bias here, but I'm just offering my opinion. I say HELL NO!! on putting us on the same level as Notre Dame. I mean for crying out loud, they play the military academies year in and year out. I know we kind of had an easier than most schedule this past year but at least it changes every year. ND isn't even in a conference, which really hurts them in the current BcS system. Don't wanna go on a rant here about ND so I'll just stop here.

And whoever said that we don't get nearly as much attention/press coverage as ND is completely correct. If talking just about the amount of press coverage a team receives (and maybe winning big games also :)), I'd say the Cowboys are the ND of the NFL.

JamesCA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more a matter of going to a winning team that has a great fan base of support more than going to nightclubs that determines where a player wants to play. That and money of course, but with the type of money the players get these days I'm pretty sure there's more to it than money.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of people in this thread are pretty naive it seems to me. Young people want to be able to go out and have fun. Yes, and the weather is a huge factor. Seriously.. this is the latest poll taken from NFL players on the Places they would LEAST WANT TO PLAY:

Oakland Raiders: 20%
Buffalo Bills: 14%
Green Bay Packers: 13%
Detroit Lions: 12%
Cleveland Browns: 7%

Now I think these results are self explanatory.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
A lot of people in this thread are pretty naive it seems to me. Young people want to be able to go out and have fun. Yes, and the weather is a huge factor. Seriously.. this is the latest poll taken from NFL players on the Places they would LEAST WANT TO PLAY:

They are. They tell me that the young players have no idea on what there is to do in the Green Bay area on their off time. Like they have so much off time during the season anyway, and they all go home during the off-season. Even my wife was surprised how much there was to do when we went home for Christmas this year. We actually had just as much to do as we did in NJ.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

That is understood StyleZ... Green Bay will never be desirable to some people. However, it has a reputation that is not fully deserved - just listen to Woodson and what he has to say. He had one thought before coming to GB and has a totally different one now. Many players DO grow up and find different priorities in life once they get families. Some NEVER grow up. Many of these players you can do without, and some have a ton of talent and it is unfortunate that you have to say good bye to them. I would also imagine that to players who really want to make it in the league, there is not enough time away from studying and working out to worry about partying during the season. They have all off season at home (or wherever they wish to spend their time) to worry about that.

Green Bay has changed a LOT since I was a kid growing up there. When I go home these days it is strange. Much is similar but it is surreal because it is also so much different - sort of like a Twilight Zone episode. If you REALLY need to party and get away from it all, Milwaukee is less than 2 hours up the road. Before anyone laughs at that idea, in big cities, it takes just as long to travel 20% as far due to traffic.

All in all, there is nothing we can do if a player tries GB and it isn't for them. It is like food... It is one thing to say you don't like something and you've never tried it - but if you have and still don't like it there isn't much that can be done. New York isn't for everyone either.

All in all, I think this poll is indicative of the perceptions of young guys who have never been to GB. Many end up liking it once they've tried it. If they ever do away with the draft it may be more of an issue. But as long as the draft exists, the young guys have little say in where they end up. As I said, once there, hopefully their attitude changes. With respect to FA, I still think that to most players the motivating factors are MONEY and the chance to WIN. As long as we are willing to bid more than the next guy and the player feels like he will have a chance to win a ring, I think we will be able to be competitive in FA... Right now, it seems we have a GM who doesn't like this avenue much. I wish he'd use it a little bit more but for the most part I think his attitude with how to build a team is the correct one. Not perfect for sure, but I'd rather take his route than Dan Snyder's any day - but I do think there is more of a middle ground too.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People, is this really the question? Players don't come to GB because they can't "party all night" in here?

So, between all the booze and women, to say the least, when they, you know, actually play football?

Because, last time I checked, you can see Avatar in 3D in Green Bay.

Unless you're telling me that players don't want to come to Green Bay because there's no Met in there, or because Madonna won't perform in GB. I don't buy that.

When the season is off, they can go anywhere they want to party. But during the season, if the player is partying all night, he isn't exactly going to perform very well.

-

Wheater is a factor. Not the size of the city, not anymore, where you can get the latest everything everywhere...

Members online

Latest posts