2023 Draft Live Discussion Thread

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is zero upside to Clifford’s game. Can’t read the field or make even routine throws. First pick I absolutely hate from this draft. It actually makes me question our team’s ability to evaluate the quarterback position.
If our team can't evaluate the quarterback position, what does that say about Love?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I’m guessing The Beard is not currently evaluating QBs for a living so I’ll take a wait and see approach

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or if GB is awesome at evaluating QB talent we’ll be trading clifford for a lofty draft pick in a few years LOL

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I’m guessing The Beard is not currently evaluating QBs for a living so I’ll take a wait and see approach
I mean that’s all you can do, but if multiple people who have been scouts are saying similar things, it’s not just me. He’s older than Love should have shown consistent growth, but hasn’t. Has a ton of “what are you doing” throws on tape. Not expecting a whole lot to happen, but we will have to wait and see for sure

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’ll see about Love this season. It remains to be seen. My concerns are still there with us taking a quarterback that’s older than Love and hasn’t shown a ton of growth.
Well, I would not expect a QB in the 5th to have A++ ratings from both pundits and fans. But I guess a couple years ago he did beat out Levis. I just don't believe age to be as big a deal as a lot of you.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’ll see about Love this season. It remains to be seen. My concerns are still there with us taking a quarterback that’s older than Love and hasn’t shown a ton of growth.
Maybe they wanted a guy that wouldn't challenge Love's ego.
Well, at least he's been seeing some in game action.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Somebody somewhere threw out a Taysom Hill type role for Clifford.
Saw that too. Guessing he will compete and do whatever he is asked to do. I think his maturity level and game management skills is what impressed the Packers, as well as moments of impressive play. Work on making him a more consistent player, that has more highs than lows.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope his maturity level is higher than guys he is much older than. Here's to hoping the Taysom Hill thing has some merit to it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With only Jordan Love and Danny Etling on the roster, it was pretty obvious, at least to me, that the Packers were going to draft a QB. My guess is, they weren't going to use anything higher than say a 5th, unless something weird happened and a top guy fell. So they go into the draft with maybe a list of 5 2nd tier QB's that they liked. Call it the "Brock Purdy" effect or whatever, but 10 QB's taken before the Packers were on the clock in the 5th? That's kind of unusual. Again, just guessing, but I think they decided it was now or never to get one of the guys on their list and they pulled the trigger on Clifford.

Like him or not, he is probably going to be the Packers #2 QB. If that is all he is, for 4 season or more and he does a decent job, it was a successful pick. Finally, it was a 5th round pick, there are a lot more Cole Madison and Trevor Davis's taken in the 5th, than there are Aaron Jones's.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clifford wasn’t my older high leader mentality guy for backup (that was Tune) but while it might have been a round early - it wasn’t this draft due to record setting QBs taken before we picked him.

My bet is Clifford was the last remaining guy they felt would fit the role of backup that was draftable and saw the value from a what if perspective…if Love misses action you are not gonna want a raw guy coming in that has zero big game experience - at least Clifford has some experience in big games over his career.

Also while dated, he did beat out Levis at one time…

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like him or not, he is probably going to be the Packers #2 QB. If that is all he is, for 4 season or more and he does a decent job, it was a successful pick. Finally, it was a 5th round pick, there are a lot more Cole Madison and Trevor Davis's taken in the 5th, than there are Aaron Jones's.
Hey, Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round. So... there's that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey, Tom Brady was picked in the 6th round. So... there's that.
Yup and Brett Hundley was picked in the 5th ;)

You just never know. I wasn't the one who coined it, but there definitely was a Brock Purdy effect on this draft.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said several times the 49ers could win games without throwing a single pass.

Our offense I believe will be VERY VERY much more in their vein than what MLF had to do somewhat the last couple years.

The true MLF system is very QB friendly and I envision even if we struggle to win a bunch, we will see glimpses from all these young guns and Love to feel good about future

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've said several times the 49ers could win games without throwing a single pass.
You are probably right. They also have a great defense and a full arsenal of weapons on offense. The trade with the Panthers for CM was brilliant and pit them over the top. They may be wishing they had pursued Rodgers, because they might have been really hard to beat with him.

Members online

Latest posts