Predictive 2023 For Draft Class

Reaction score
I don't know about others, but I am tired of our defense getting shredded by opposing TE's. So for a change, I would love to see the Packers TE's start doing the shredding.
Yes. I wouldn’t mind seeing more plays with 12 Personnel and actually staggering our TE with Musgrave doing a crosser and Kraft saying home a little longer but releasing as another receiving outlet. He can muscle for 4-5 yards off a 2 yard pass. He’s really got a strong base. Sooner or later he’ll either run over someone or just hurdle them. He played Fullback there in HS and just blew people up. He’s a Baaaaad man at 255lb once he’s rumbling and using his stiff arm. Deguara looks small compared to 6’4 Davis, 6’6 Musgrave and 6’5 Kraft.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So, you see Davis as making the 53?
I would say he makes it as the 4th TE. It is his job to lose. The guys behind him are pretty inexperienced, but the Packers do have a FB on the roster, Henry Pearson. So if they really like Pearson and only want to keep 3 TE's on the 53, they may try to stash Davis on the PS. The other possibility, a TE they think is an upgrade over Davis, is released by another team and they claim him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright many asked when I was gonna find time to share my thoughts and predictions on the 2023 class for their rookie seasons...especially since the first time I tried this I did way better than I ever thought possible (so lower expectations, no way I repeat that one you can check out HERE).

That said here we go:

#13 - Lukas Van Ness
Okay, so I'm torn on Lukas as there are multiple reasons it is very hard to gauge where and how he ends up getting snaps. With his size, there may be some snaps reduced inside he otherwise wouldn't see...there is the Gary injury and when he comes back and also when is he 100%....there is also just the fact a rookie edge can and does typically struggle. That said I'm going to assume Gary is back week 1 given his recent PUP removal. I'm also going to predict that at least at first Hollins and Enagbare at worst see similar snaps or more (Hollins especially) early on then Baby Hercules. All that said his talent and just massive upside leads me to think like DeVonte Wyatt, things worse case start clicking that final 1/3 of the season or so. I'll predict that he outdoes Rashan Gary's rookie year in sacks (he had 2) because Gary was behind a stacked and clear edge room (Smith, Smith, Fackrell)....I'll predict 4.5 Sacks / 25 Tackles and a couple starts even sprinkled in there. Sad thing is from a predictive standpoint LVN could see far less snaps if say Hollins just clicks like he has shown he may...or increase heavy with Gary ailing or even a Preston Smith issue (either play or health). I'll also say that QB hits or pressures will be impressive out of him his rookie campaign and show what might be next in 2024 for LVN and this front.

#42 - Luke Musgrave
I've got to remember this young man is a likely starting rookie, a TE, and will have a "first year" QB at the helm. Alone any of those three things are massive limiting factors, altogether you'd have to ignore logic to not be concerned. All that said though I do strongly feel Musgrave is going to put forth a rookie TE campaign which has been VERY rare in GB.....and I believe that if Musgrave is healthy in all but say 2 games at most, he will break Bubba Franks' rookie TE campaign (which is the best rookie TE campaign in my lifetime if memory serves in GB). Frank's saw 55 Targets / 34 receptions / 363 yards / 1 TD.....I believe Musgrave goes for 60 Targets / 45 Receptions / 500 yards / 4 TDs...I will also predict that his blocking will surprise folks and bet PFF grade of over 55 or so happens. Not great but a solid mark for a rookie and well above typical Tonyan type level.

#50 - Jayden Reed
Jayden is electric for sure, extremely shifty in getting open and with the ball in his hands he can eat up space in a hurry....BUT he is clearly #3 or #4 on the depth chart, is a rookie as well....BUT I foresee easily him producing and replacing Cobb on this team production wise OR close - I'll go slightly under at say 40 Targets / 33 Receptions / 330 yards / 2 TDs...I think him and Toure get similar targets, just a matter of who produces more or who is hot that may see slightly more.

#78 - Tucker Kraft
He isn't going to enter the year as the clear and above TE2, yes Deguara is our HBack/TE type but he for sure gets more snaps initially than Tucker IMO and I suspect unless preseason shows he is ready that Tyler Davis steals snaps too from Kraft. However, Kraft I strongly think will finish the year easily as the one getting the second most inline TE snaps and with that will come some target shares. I predict 24 Targets / 17 Receptions / 200 Yards / 2 TDs

#116 - Colby Wooden
Wooden to me might surprise some folks, but it will take time. In his rookie campaign he will be there for rotational breathers and perhaps to deliver some interior pressure. IF we hadn't lost Reed / Lowry both I'd say Wooden gets chances similar to either Slaton or Wyatt of last year...but with two losses and just rookies drafted to fill that room I think Wooden gets a touch earlier chances to see snaps perhaps. With that not saying he is better, but I think he produces more stats than Wyatt's rookie year. I'll go 2 sacks / 20 tackles...he makes a big play or two in a BIG game though that folks absolutely will circle as "THAT is why Gute liked hiim"...coming from SEC, he understands big moments.

#149 - Sean Clifford
Locks in the QB2 role, sees limited action but in it I'll say ends the year with something like 24 Atts / 15 Completions / 155 yards / 1 INT / 1 TD

#159 - Dontayvion Wicks
I expect he makes the roster and slowly begins to show signs of perhaps being our next Lazard type possession guy. Won't see the field a ton, but I feel more than say Toure did last year...and with Watson and Doubs both missing time rookie year who knows. I'll say Wicks puts up around 20 Targets / 12 receptions / 147 yards / 1 TD

#179 - Karl Brooks
With Slaton's play clicking and growing, Wyatt as well...and Wooden being the better rookie in camp I like to think Brooks and his hybrid body type is going to get a slow transition to the NFL but will slowly produce some solid snaps and leave us all wondering what he may be in 2024 (ala TJ Slaton rookie type campaign)...I'll predict .5 sacks but he will toss in a PD or a FF or FR type play and perhaps a TFL or two.

#207 - Anders Carlson
I'm torn here....but in the end I believe through growing pains and a willingness to let growth happen Bissacia is given this year to work with his guy. He barely hangs onto his job, but is still here when the season ends...he may get a week or two off to struggles or maybe a "injury claim/bug" but his leg strength is TOO BIG for us to ignore and hope a solid offseason and 2024 is where it all comes together. I'll say he delivers a year similar to Cade York's in CLE last year... hits on around 77% of his kicks with his worst percent coming from 40-49 range but hits some massive 50+ ones, chip shots and XPAs he hits around 95% of.

#232 - Carrington Valentine
This is the first possible PS, but as I said when we drafted him he IS a 53 roster man. I predict he makes it, serves as quite the reserve and ST type. Not going to predict injuries or such so won't predict stats as I don't think he sees many defensive snaps, but he makes the team, makes some ST plays and never relinquishes his 53 spot.

#235 - Lew Nichols
PS squad stash.

#242 - Anthony Johnson
PS with two gameday elevations...BUT if Owens, Ford, Leavitt or Moore struggle or fail he will quickly elevate.

#256 - Grant Dubose
PS stash, but eventually let go.
I believe Van Ness will see a lot of snaps if for no other reason than by default. Our defense was on the field a lot last year and should be again. And that can mean more injuries. I hope Jayden Reed gets his chance. Having an explosive return man or men is a plus. But we at least need someone who can hold on to the football. Anders will be a question mark. He may be trying too hard. If the offense cannot put up TDs we certainly have to make FGs.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright many asked when I was gonna find time to share my thoughts and predictions on the 2023 class for their rookie seasons...especially since the first time I tried this I did way better than I ever thought possible (so lower expectations, no way I repeat that one you can check out HERE).

That said here we go:

#13 - Lukas Van Ness
Okay, so I'm torn on Lukas as there are multiple reasons it is very hard to gauge where and how he ends up getting snaps. With his size, there may be some snaps reduced inside he otherwise wouldn't see...there is the Gary injury and when he comes back and also when is he 100%....there is also just the fact a rookie edge can and does typically struggle. That said I'm going to assume Gary is back week 1 given his recent PUP removal. I'm also going to predict that at least at first Hollins and Enagbare at worst see similar snaps or more (Hollins especially) early on then Baby Hercules. All that said his talent and just massive upside leads me to think like DeVonte Wyatt, things worse case start clicking that final 1/3 of the season or so. I'll predict that he outdoes Rashan Gary's rookie year in sacks (he had 2) because Gary was behind a stacked and clear edge room (Smith, Smith, Fackrell)....I'll predict 4.5 Sacks / 25 Tackles and a couple starts even sprinkled in there. Sad thing is from a predictive standpoint LVN could see far less snaps if say Hollins just clicks like he has shown he may...or increase heavy with Gary ailing or even a Preston Smith issue (either play or health). I'll also say that QB hits or pressures will be impressive out of him his rookie campaign and show what might be next in 2024 for LVN and this front.

#42 - Luke Musgrave
I've got to remember this young man is a likely starting rookie, a TE, and will have a "first year" QB at the helm. Alone any of those three things are massive limiting factors, altogether you'd have to ignore logic to not be concerned. All that said though I do strongly feel Musgrave is going to put forth a rookie TE campaign which has been VERY rare in GB.....and I believe that if Musgrave is healthy in all but say 2 games at most, he will break Bubba Franks' rookie TE campaign (which is the best rookie TE campaign in my lifetime if memory serves in GB). Frank's saw 55 Targets / 34 receptions / 363 yards / 1 TD.....I believe Musgrave goes for 60 Targets / 45 Receptions / 500 yards / 4 TDs...I will also predict that his blocking will surprise folks and bet PFF grade of over 55 or so happens. Not great but a solid mark for a rookie and well above typical Tonyan type level.

#50 - Jayden Reed
Jayden is electric for sure, extremely shifty in getting open and with the ball in his hands he can eat up space in a hurry....BUT he is clearly #3 or #4 on the depth chart, is a rookie as well....BUT I foresee easily him producing and replacing Cobb on this team production wise OR close - I'll go slightly under at say 40 Targets / 33 Receptions / 330 yards / 2 TDs...I think him and Toure get similar targets, just a matter of who produces more or who is hot that may see slightly more.

#78 - Tucker Kraft
He isn't going to enter the year as the clear and above TE2, yes Deguara is our HBack/TE type but he for sure gets more snaps initially than Tucker IMO and I suspect unless preseason shows he is ready that Tyler Davis steals snaps too from Kraft. However, Kraft I strongly think will finish the year easily as the one getting the second most inline TE snaps and with that will come some target shares. I predict 24 Targets / 17 Receptions / 200 Yards / 2 TDs

#116 - Colby Wooden
Wooden to me might surprise some folks, but it will take time. In his rookie campaign he will be there for rotational breathers and perhaps to deliver some interior pressure. IF we hadn't lost Reed / Lowry both I'd say Wooden gets chances similar to either Slaton or Wyatt of last year...but with two losses and just rookies drafted to fill that room I think Wooden gets a touch earlier chances to see snaps perhaps. With that not saying he is better, but I think he produces more stats than Wyatt's rookie year. I'll go 2 sacks / 20 tackles...he makes a big play or two in a BIG game though that folks absolutely will circle as "THAT is why Gute liked hiim"...coming from SEC, he understands big moments.

#149 - Sean Clifford
Locks in the QB2 role, sees limited action but in it I'll say ends the year with something like 24 Atts / 15 Completions / 155 yards / 1 INT / 1 TD

#159 - Dontayvion Wicks
I expect he makes the roster and slowly begins to show signs of perhaps being our next Lazard type possession guy. Won't see the field a ton, but I feel more than say Toure did last year...and with Watson and Doubs both missing time rookie year who knows. I'll say Wicks puts up around 20 Targets / 12 receptions / 147 yards / 1 TD

#179 - Karl Brooks
With Slaton's play clicking and growing, Wyatt as well...and Wooden being the better rookie in camp I like to think Brooks and his hybrid body type is going to get a slow transition to the NFL but will slowly produce some solid snaps and leave us all wondering what he may be in 2024 (ala TJ Slaton rookie type campaign)...I'll predict .5 sacks but he will toss in a PD or a FF or FR type play and perhaps a TFL or two.

#207 - Anders Carlson
I'm torn here....but in the end I believe through growing pains and a willingness to let growth happen Bissacia is given this year to work with his guy. He barely hangs onto his job, but is still here when the season ends...he may get a week or two off to struggles or maybe a "injury claim/bug" but his leg strength is TOO BIG for us to ignore and hope a solid offseason and 2024 is where it all comes together. I'll say he delivers a year similar to Cade York's in CLE last year... hits on around 77% of his kicks with his worst percent coming from 40-49 range but hits some massive 50+ ones, chip shots and XPAs he hits around 95% of.

This is the first possible PS, but as I said when we drafted him he IS a 53 roster man. I predict he makes it, serves as quite the reserve and ST type. Not going to predict injuries or such so won't predict stats as I don't think he sees many defensive snaps, but he makes the team, makes some ST plays and never relinquishes his 53 spot.

#235 - Lew Nichols
PS squad stash.

#242 - Anthony Johnson
PS with two gameday elevations...BUT if Owens, Ford, Leavitt or Moore struggle or fail he will quickly elevate.

#256 - Grant Dubose
PS stash, but eventually let go.
Thanks for doing this.

Very disappointed in Anthony Johnson. I was really thinking he was a steal. Maybe he will still come around this season, but I was thinking he would be getting playing time this season. Not sure if I have heard a single positive comment on him.

I think LVN will have a bigger impact than you. I think he will get 60% of defensive snaps and maybe 8 or 9 sacks.

Everything else seems pretty fair based on what we have seen in camp.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this.

Very disappointed in Anthony Johnson. I was really thinking he was a steal. Maybe he will still come around this season, but I was thinking he would be getting playing time this season. Not sure if I have heard a single positive comment on him.

I think LVN will have a bigger impact than you. I think he will get 60% of defensive snaps and maybe 8 or 9 sacks.

Everything else seems pretty fair based on what we have seen in camp.

AJ I still think is something to work with and may still fight his way up. LVN is VERY hard to predict with all the factors I listed. I could see him only see like 20% of snaps clear to what you do. Kid is special.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ I still think is something to work with and may still fight his way up. LVN is VERY hard to predict with all the factors I listed. I could see him only see like 20% of snaps clear to what you do. Kid is special.
From a Bengals beat writer covering the joint practice in reference to their OLine.

The Packers defense looks good. Clark, of course, and LVN have been a handful for the Oline.

Of all the players on the defense to point out, I thought it interesting he mentioned a rookie.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a Bengals beat writer covering the joint practice in reference to their OLine.

The Packers defense looks good. Clark, of course, and LVN have been a handful for the Oline.

Of all the players on the defense to point out, I thought it interesting he mentioned a rookie.

LVN is just very hard to not make a note of given the young man's stature and quickness...anticipation of how it clicks and how fast it translates to production has me extremely anxious!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LVN is just very hard to not make a note of given the young man's stature and quickness...anticipation of how it clicks and how fast it translates to production has me extremely anxious!
What looks good in preseason might also be turned into mistakes during the season, depending on how well the offenses are disguised. Look how long it took Gary to get the big picture. I think this kid might parallel that arc, maybe a tad quicker.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What looks good in preseason might also be turned into mistakes during the season, depending on how well the offenses are disguised. Look how long it took Gary to get the big picture. I think this kid might parallel that arc, maybe a tad quicker.

LVN is going to get quicker chances as he doesn't have three cemented guys ahead of him like Gary did. I agree though!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the dividends on LVN start paying off midseason, not Pro Bowl caliber, but enough to show why the Packers drafted him. As Tyni correctly points out, the DL should be better this year and that might give LVN some clean holes to get through. Also, if Gary isn't ready to go for the first game or 2, LVN should get a ton of snaps. Gary only had 244 snaps on defense his rookie season, the Smith Brothers had 870+ each. I see a healthy Lukas getting more than the 244 Gary got.

I also can see Barry putting Gary, Smith and LVN all out on the field on an obvious passing down. Of course, the fact that I see it, will mean Barry doesn't. :D

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll put arguably a shocking prediction out there.....I think Hollins gets more sacks than LVN by closure of week 12...I just feel Hollins is going to have a resurgent season this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll put arguably a shocking prediction out there.....I think Hollins gets more sacks than LVN by closure of week 12...I just feel Hollins is going to have a resurgent season this year.
I liked what I saw last year from Hollins in the 6 games he was with the Packers. A very smart resign by Gute and at a cheap price ($1.2M). I agree with you that I think there is more to come from him. He is only 27 and should have his best years ahead of him.

I would say that this is the strongest OLB group that the Packers have had in a long time. Gary, Smith, Hollins, LVN, Enagbare, Cox. If there are no injuries in that group, before the final cutdown, Cox might be the odd man out, unless he can beat out Enagbare. I just don't see the Packers carrying 6 OLB's and now that Gary has been taken off the PUP, he will have to go on either the 53 or IR.

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this.

I’m keeping an eye on Carrington Valentine. He seems to be the steal of Round 7. He’s now taking 1st team snaps opposite Rasul (Alexander was limited in Cincinatti for obvious reasons) Also credit Rasul here, Valentine said he’s totally taken him under his wing like a little Brother.
My prediction is if Valentine carries his momentum through Preseason, he’s not only a 53 lock, but he’s CB4. I’m partly stealing that term from Wes n Mike n Larry on
“ just 3 things”

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well with the seemingly perpetually hurt human freak that is Watson...Wicks and Reed are going to exceed my predictions before Week 6...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#13 - Lukas Van Ness

Lukas Van Ness - Solid rookie year putting up 4 Sacks 32 combined tackles with 24 solo. 8 TFLs / 1 PD / 10 QB Hits - he did not have to start a game this year.

#42 - Luke Musgrave

Put up 34 receptions for 352 yards and 1 TD on 46 Targets. Now granted I'm VERY close HAD he not gotten injured I suspect I'd been about as close as one could have predicted.

#50 - Jayden Reed

No one saw this coming...but had you told me Watson would have been out so much I probably boost his stats ten to 15% or so. Still he put up 793 Yards on 64 receptions and 8 TDs through the air + bonus ground yards of 119 and 2 TDs.

#78 - Tucker Kraft

He put up 355 yards on 31 receptions with 2 TDs. Again if you'd told me he actually would be thrust into the lead role without Musgrave I likely hit this one really close too. Kraft excelled second half of the season and IN MY OPINION GREW THE MOST FROM BEGINNING OF THE SEASON TO END - HIS BLOCKING GOT INSANELY BETTER.

#116 - Colby Wooden
Wooden to me might surprise some folks, but it will take time. In his rookie campaign he will be there for rotational breathers and perhaps to deliver some interior pressure. IF we hadn't lost Reed / Lowry both I'd say Wooden gets chances similar to either Slaton or Wyatt of last year...but with two losses and just rookies drafted to fill that room I think Wooden gets a touch earlier chances to see snaps perhaps. With that not saying he is better, but I think he produces more stats than Wyatt's rookie year. I'll go 2 sacks / 20 tackles...he makes a big play or two in a BIG game though that folks absolutely will circle as "THAT is why Gute liked him"...coming from SEC, he understands big moments.

Colby showed some promise for sure, stats were .5 sacks / 17 combined tackles / 10 solo / 1 TFL / 2 QBHits

#149 - Sean Clifford

1 for 1 for 37 yards. Love was durable and always needed him in there so Sean was not needed.

#159 - Dontayvion Wicks

Dude is SMOOTH and footwork insane...okay point of post - Stats: 39 receptions on 58 targets with 581 yards plus 4 TDs...obviously he blew my predictions out of the water.

#179 - Karl Brooks

4 Sacks / 20 combined tackles / 12 solo / 1 FF / 4 PDs / 6 TFLs / 5 QB Hits *DUDE LIT IT UP in light snap work and late rounder.

#207 - Anders Carlson
27 for 33 FGs (81.8%) and 34 for 39 XPs (87.2%) Anders only hope to be here IMO is that he is a rookie and Rich chose him....otherwise this was not acceptable year.

Dude may have started a nothing but proved he may be the second best outside corner on the team. 43 tackles total / 33 solo / 1 FR and 9 PDs

#235 - Lew Nichols
PS squad stash.

Essentially injury waived and never came back.

#242 - Anthony Johnson

Actually started for us four times. 24 Tackles total / 18 solo / 3 PDs / 1 INT

*Overall this rookie class TORE IT UP

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lukas Van Ness - Solid rookie year putting up 4 Sacks 32 combined tackles with 24 solo. 8 TFLs / 1 PD / 10 QB Hits - he did not have to start a game this year.

Put up 34 receptions for 352 yards and 1 TD on 46 Targets. Now granted I'm VERY close HAD he not gotten injured I suspect I'd been about as close as one could have predicted.

No one saw this coming...but had you told me Watson would have been out so much I probably boost his stats ten to 15% or so. Still he put up 793 Yards on 64 receptions and 8 TDs through the air + bonus ground yards of 119 and 2 TDs.

He put up 355 yards on 31 receptions with 2 TDs. Again if you'd told me he actually would be thrust into the lead role without Musgrave I likely hit this one really close too. Kraft excelled second half of the season and IN MY OPINION GREW THE MOST FROM BEGINNING OF THE SEASON TO END - HIS BLOCKING GOT INSANELY BETTER.

Colby showed some promise for sure, stats were .5 sacks / 17 combined tackles / 10 solo / 1 TFL / 2 QBHits

1 for 1 for 37 yards. Love was durable and always needed him in there so Sean was not needed.

Dude is SMOOTH and footwork insane...okay point of post - Stats: 39 receptions on 58 targets with 581 yards plus 4 TDs...obviously he blew my predictions out of the water.

4 Sacks / 20 combined tackles / 12 solo / 1 FF / 4 PDs / 6 TFLs / 5 QB Hits *DUDE LIT IT UP in light snap work and late rounder.

27 for 33 FGs (81.8%) and 34 for 39 XPs (87.2%) Anders only hope to be here IMO is that he is a rookie and Rich chose him....otherwise this was not acceptable year.

Dude may have started a nothing but proved he may be the second best outside corner on the team. 43 tackles total / 33 solo / 1 FR and 9 PDs

Essentially injury waived and never came back.

Actually started for us four times. 24 Tackles total / 18 solo / 3 PDs / 1 INT

*Overall this rookie class TORE IT UP
Good predictions and summaries.

This was a year of a lot of rookies having to step in and either start or be ready to play due to injuries. Guys like Reed and Musgrave were instant starters and showed us why Gute picked them when he did.

LVN started the season slowly, but you could see his development was on its way by the end of the regular season. I think he is going to be good, maybe not GREAT, but eventually a solid starter.

So far, Reed is the homerun of the 2023 draft class, but so many other guys to like too.