Za'Darius Smith had back surgery

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers decimated by injuries, there is no urgency to bring Z back at this point. The defense is shaky with Z and Alexander. Without them, they will give up a lot of points and not be able to get off the field. TOP will diminish since it will be easy to pick up first downs picking on Sullivan or King. Who is the next star to get Hurt? That sounds macabre but it's one of those seasons like the Niners had last year. If Z can't play late in the season then he has likely played his last down with the Packers given the salary cap situation. If he can show is back is healed with a few starts late in the season, then he may land with the team next year after the salary cap musical chairs guts the team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing makes it even more clear the release Z is nearly cemented in stone and now not just for cap savings issues. Love the guy and know he wanted to retire a Packer, made that abundantly clear this off season.

Only way that happens now is for a CHEAP contract due to no one knowing if he'll even be able to play again at any kind of NFL level depending on the back issue that needed surgery.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Packers decimated by injuries, there is no urgency to bring Z back at this point. The defense is shaky with Z and Alexander. Without them, they will give up a lot of points and not be able to get off the field. TOP will diminish since it will be easy to pick up first downs picking on Sullivan or King. Who is the next star to get Hurt? That sounds macabre but it's one of those seasons like the Niners had last year. If Z can't play late in the season then he has likely played his last down with the Packers given the salary cap situation. If he can show is back is healed with a few starts late in the season, then he may land with the team next year after the salary cap musical chairs guts the team.
How many points did they give up after Alexander left?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Z unless he takes a massive restructure even if he wasn't hurt is part of the gutting due to salary cap space.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same back problem many of these players get, its from carrying to heavy of a wallet. ;)
The start of my back problems years ago was sitting on my "Costanza wallet" in my back pocket. Still have a fat wallet (cards & receipts, not much $$$) but now keep it in my front pocket. Also a little safer, IMHO, as a pickpocket would need to get dangerously close to a sensitive body part. :)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
20yrs ago a friend gave me a Packers money clip, and I've never looked back. I keep my driver's license, ATM card, and one credit card in the with my cash wrapped around it. I used to keep Constanza receipts and dumb "club" cards in there. I realized that I never use any of them. Besides everything can be digital these days. I even keep photos of my medical cards on my phone so that I don't have to carry those.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Z Smith, I merely asked whether this was all tied into his behavior. I developed back issues being a stupid highschool kid lifting weights. I know how debilitating it can be. However, I also have seen how "professional" athletes work. This would not be the first time that an unhappy player did something like this. I don't know if Smith is sandbagging it but I asked the question. There is no harm in that.

I've got all kinds of torn stuff in my shoulders (rotator cuffs, labrum, etc.) but have never had a surgery. I could elect to do it. If was unhappy with my team and would rather get it all fixed now in order to hit free agency healthy, that might be a move that I would make. Smith may be taking that route as well, preferring not to play on a hurting back so that he can collect his check and then hit the market after the Packers release him in the offseason. It's not a crackpot theory.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's a crackpot theory. Heck, if I needed surgery i'd rather do it on my employers dime, get paid, and be ready for another employer when the time comes, than try and play thru it, increase the chances i get hurt worse and then not be ready for the next year.

I think a player would sandbag an injury, not that I think he is, moreso than elect to get a surgery to get out of playing, as that comes with it's own set of risks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have to think that Team doctors consult with Z's doctors and also get a chance to look at X-rays and anything else important to the decision. I can't imagine doctors operating on someone's back without a known reason. But I can understand the scenario where this has been bothering him for quite awhile and the team convinced him to try and play through it, the doctors agreed that it wasn't life or career threatening to do so, so he gave it a go. Now maybe some could play through the pain and maybe he could have, but as some alluded to, his will to play for the Packers may have diminished and this was the best way out for him. Guaranteed money can be a b*tch for teams, but at least they will save his $29,411/game bonus.

Reaction score
There’s an obvious timeline for his return and it’s even possible he could make a full recovery. Problem with this stuff is the second you start verbalizing anything positive, they’ll have a setback.

Take K Nick Folk. He had a bum left knee and yet started for the Patriots. The announcers repeatedly brought up his 35 consecutive-Made FG attempts and he was tied for like 6th place historically (forgive me I’m going on memory to make a point). You might as well pulled a Tonya Harding and whacked him with a club in the leg it would’ve been less damaging than bringing that record up before the FG attempt last night. Just wait until he kicks the ball and then we can discuss records!
It’s like a curse I tell ya.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I give it better than 50% that we've seen Z in a Packer uniform for the last time.
Just curious. This summer what were your odds that we had seen Rodgers in a Packer uniform for the last time. Just trying to see if we should trust your prognostication skills or not.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very realistic. All part of the game of football.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious. This summer what were your odds that we had seen Rodgers in a Packer uniform for the last time. Just trying to see if we should trust your prognostication skills or not.

I gave it 100% that Rogers would be Green Bay's quarterback this season, he didn't have a lot of choice. I give it at least 50/50 that he's back next season and long term.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Doing the math with the cap at the beginning of the season I said that I think Z is gone next year. Same with Preston. There's just too much money wrapped up in those guys and they need to sign Alexander and Adams. Those guys are just must signs. If Z is out the rest of the season I think we have seen his last snaps as a Packer already. I could be wrong. I'm wrong a lot.

I think Preston has played better this season than last year, but is replaceable. Obviously, without being even available, Z is replaceable. Sucks because I'm tired of watching rebuilds on the defensive side of the ball every other season. Last I looked the average career in the NFL is about 3.5 seasons, so I guess that makes sense.

It stinks that Z is out. We really needed him this season. I'm not sure about the discussion point about his attitude, but he is a big loss to an already suspect defense. Here's to hoping the Packers can control the ball offensively. Our best defense might just be our offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for Z Smith, I merely asked whether this was all tied into his behavior. I developed back issues being a stupid highschool kid lifting weights. I know how debilitating it can be. However, I also have seen how "professional" athletes work. This would not be the first time that an unhappy player did something like this. I don't know if Smith is sandbagging it but I asked the question. There is no harm in that.

I've got all kinds of torn stuff in my shoulders (rotator cuffs, labrum, etc.) but have never had a surgery. I could elect to do it. If was unhappy with my team and would rather get it all fixed now in order to hit free agency healthy, that might be a move that I would make. Smith may be taking that route as well, preferring not to play on a hurting back so that he can collect his check and then hit the market after the Packers release him in the offseason. It's not a crackpot theory.

I believe it was the decision of the team doctors for Z to have surgery, at least they were definitely involved in it. Therefore I don't believe he could have played through it. I wonder why it took that long to make that decision though.

Doing the math with the cap at the beginning of the season I said that I think Z is gone next year. Same with Preston. There's just too much money wrapped up in those guys and they need to sign Alexander and Adams. Those guys are just must signs. If Z is out the rest of the season I think we have seen his last snaps as a Packer already. I could be wrong. I'm wrong a lot.

Alexander is under contract for next season. The Packers could even save a significant of cap space for 2022 by signing him to an extension though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Alexander is under contract for next season. The Packers could even save a significant of cap space for 2022 by signing him to an extension though.
Right, that's all I meant. I would clear up money to sign Alexander in the near future. We have to get that deal done with Adams. A team can't lose a guy like that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, that's all I meant. I would clear up money to sign Alexander in the near future. We have to get that deal done with Adams. A team can't lose a guy like that.

I agree the Packers should re-sign Adams but if he's truly asking for $27 million a year it would be awfully tough to fit that contract under the cap.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the Packers should re-sign Adams but if he's truly asking for $27 million a year it would be awfully tough to fit that contract under the cap.
Good thing I am not a GM. I would find it hard to pay one CB $27 mill a year. Maybe Deion Sanders because he played offense, defense, and ST.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander isn't a concern honestly until next year
Good thing I am not a GM. I would find it hard to pay one CB $27 mill a year. Maybe Deion Sanders because he played offense, defense, and ST.

CB? He was saying Adams.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Packers would hugely benefit by extending Alexander after this season to reduce his cap hit for 2022.

True I meant folks are acting like his contract is up, I personally circled it to getting a long term done that lowers hit next year

Members online

Latest posts