Your Reaction if the Packers were the 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I love the Packers just as much as anyone else but it's amazing how some of you believe that TT is the only GM who can manage the cap. It is possible for San Francisco and Seattle to still be good teams even with their cap situations and it's called the draft. They may lose some guys yes but there will be other FA that they can sign for cheaper and still be able to contend. Thats my point! a few good additions can change the fortunes of a team in a big way...and you don't need to overpay!!! which is what i don't get about this team.

Heard Niners will only have 7 mill to sign people

rmchief50ret

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers used to be a class organization. Now, they have become the Forty-Whiners. Why in the world would I ever think of comparing them to the Pack? We have the right attitude right here in Packer-land! But, for the Sherman-haters, I sure wish we had a DB with Sherman's abilities.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK.
Since 2011 Team A hasn't won a Super Bowl.
Since 2011 Team B hasn't won a Super Bowl.

Which team do you prefer?

Team B. This is easier to answer imo knowing at least Team b has at least knocked on the door. Team A has won what? 1 playoff game since 2011? Team B has been to a couple conference championships and a SB? Yea this was to easy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Team B. This is easier to answer imo knowing at least Team b has at least knocked on the door. Team A has won what? 1 playoff game since 2011? Team B has been to a couple conference championships and a SB? Yea this was to easy.
Then you must be satisfied with the mediocrity of getting close but never winning a title! :D

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You know they can either release guys or restructure some contracts, don´t you???

Of course I do...this is the article that I read, where it says 6 mill actually.

They then go on to break it down..
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-salary-cap-situation-ahead-of-the-offseason

Boldin led the 49ers this season with 85 catches for 1,179 yards. He produced seven touchdowns and was a chain-mover who netted a team-high 62 first-down plays.

Pro Football Focus shows that Boldin had just six drops out of 123 targets. Colin Kaepernick compiled the league’s third-highest passer rating (118.6) and did not throw a single interception when targeting him.

Most unfortunate, though, is that Boldin—as one player—made as much in 2013 as the 49ers have in cap spending for all of 2014 ($6 million).

As a result of all this, San Francisco has a meager $6.09 million in spending capital for next season.
http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2014/

That ranks as the 13th-most cash-stricken among 32 NFL teams.

The 49ers' situation is made all the more regrettable because of certain contractual obligations.

To wit, general manager Trent Baalke must decide the future of 12 valuable free agents.

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course I do...this is the article that I read, where it says 6 mill actually.

They then go on to break it down..
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...n-salary-cap-situation-ahead-of-the-offseason

Well, it also says that Tarrell Brown outplayed Carlos Rogers, so the Niners could think about cutting him. In addition, I wouldn´t be shocked if they released Frank Gore, as they have LaMichael James and Marcus Lattimore on the roster.

These two moves would clear $11.5 million in cap space for them and suddenly their situation looks way better and I don´t think the team would look any worse.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/1/...ooks-mike-iupati-alex-boone-salary-escalators
Iupati has earned some, or possibly all of this. If so, his salary would go from $1,600,500 to $4,535,500 for 2014

Niners cap is under 7 mill and Iupati is suppose to get 4.5

Alex Boone
It would raise his salary from $950,000 to $2 million.

It goes on to explain all the others that are due escalator clauses in 2014

I am fully aware they can get guys to re-do deals, cut people, etc....

But there is a ton of money moving that has to be done, along with thinking ahead for 2015 when 4 year(?) rookies can get new deals

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know they can either release guys or restructure some contracts, don´t you???
The Cowboys chose the 'restructure guys' route. They are currently $22M over the 2014 cap limit.

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Cowboys&Year=2014

What is going to be very interesting is they have only Ware to cut to give them significant cap savings - $7.4M. Most of their stars were extended and can't be cut. For example, if Romo is cut - he will cost an additional $20M in cap space as the prorated bonus excellerates. All that and they still will be carrying $12M in already dead money. Not sure what they will do, but I am seeing most of their big names being cut next season: Ware/Bryant/Carter/Murray/etc.

49ers are going to look different next year. They aren't in the same position of Dallas, but they will be losing a couple of guys.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it also says that Tarrell Brown outplayed Carlos Rogers, so the Niners could think about cutting him. In addition, I wouldn´t be shocked if they released Frank Gore, as they have LaMichael James and Marcus Lattimore on the roster.

These two moves would clear $11.5 million in cap space for them and suddenly their situation looks way better and I don´t think the team would look any worse.

Outplayed in week 17 is what I read from that article..

I really dont care what their situation is to be honest..I read an article, it stated under 7 mill...

D

Deleted member 6794

49ers are going to look different next year. They aren't in the same position of Dallas, but they will be losing a couple of guys.

That´s true, but the Packers won´t be able to retain all of their players from 2013 either.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They're going to have to plan for the Kapernutwad contract and that alone will impact that roster big-time. All things considered, take a close look at who they have due up and the age of all key players and the entire situation... I fail to see how anyone thinks that's not a team that will have a much different look in the coming years. Same with Seattle.

Let me put it this way, as good as the Niners are on defense, the Packers are better on offense if both teams are full strength and healthy. Also, unlike the Niners, the Packers are positioned much better to sign the players they need to re-up. I get that they can cut some players and pick up some room... but I also think it's pretty naive to simply say "No big deal...we can just dump a guy like Gore and we'll be just fine".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s true, but the Packers won´t be able to retain all of their players from 2013 either.
Agreed. But when you are as talented as the Packers roster is, you best hope is just to skim the best off the top and hope to replenish through the draft.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What makes you think James and Lattimore will not result in a drop off in production. That team is built off the run. Gore is a horse. James is a scat back, at best, and Lattimore is a complete unknown, especially after his terrible knee injuries.

I sense you would not be so rosy about the outlook if it was the Packers in this situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

What makes you think James and Lattimore will not result in a drop off in production. That team is built off the run. Gore is a horse. James is a scat back, at best, and Lattimore is a complete unknown, especially after his terrible knee injuries.

I sense you would not be so rosy about the outlook if it was the Packers in this situation.

Well, Gore will turn 31 before the start of next season, an age a lot of RBs decline. I think Lattimore could turn out as a real steal for the Niners, but it's possible his health won't allow him to be productive.

I think the Packers have a great offense, but the defense needs major improvements. If TT is able to fill the holes at safety and ILB we'll be a true Super Bowl contender. But I din't think the Niners will significantly drop off within the next few years as some of you think is an already sure thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Gore will turn 31 before the start of next season, an age a lot of RBs decline. I think Lattimore could turn out as a real steal for the Niners, but it's possible his health won't allow him to be productive.

I think the Packers have a great offense, but the defense needs major improvements. If TT is able to fill the holes at safety and ILB we'll be a true Super Bowl contender. But I din't think the Niners will significantly drop off within the next few years as some of you think is an already sure thing.

H

HardRightEdge

kapernuts was not good passing in the last game we played them. he had some god awful throws.
Perhaps I was thinking more about opening day...and where he's come (or gone) since then. He was "9-of-11 for 152 yards and a pair of touchdowns using play-action fakes" as reported by ESPN. Those were pocket passes in a 400 yard game.

He's not looking like the same guy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. But when you are as talented as the Packers roster is, you best hope is just to skim the best off the top and hope to replenish through the draft.

Look, I'm glad I'm a Packers fan and not a 49ers fan but you say this as if the 49ers weren't good at the draft either. The last four drafts (length of rookie deal) the 49ers have been just about as good as the Packers when you get right down to it. They've actually drafted more impact players though that's primarily been the result of them drafting higher in the first round.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, I'm glad I'm a Packers fan and not a 49ers fan but you say this as if the 49ers weren't good at the draft either. The last four drafts (length of rookie deal) the 49ers have been just about as good as the Packers when you get right down to it. They've actually drafted more impact players though that's primarily been the result of them drafting higher in the first round.

Exactly. But now the 9ers are drafting at the end of the rounds and they completely whiffed on their draft from 2012 (not a single starter, including their 1st rounder already being traded away). And this year was rather suspect outside of Eric Reid. Caveat - two players were drafted with known injuries that could pan out. But, the bottom line is that the 9ers have taken full advantage of their draft position in the top half of the draft to get to where they are now.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. But now the 9ers are drafting at the end of the rounds and they completely whiffed on their draft from 2012 (not a single starter, including their 1st rounder already being traded away). And this year was rather suspect outside of Eric Reid. Caveat - two players were drafted with known injuries that could pan out. But, the bottom line is that the 9ers have taken full advantage of their draft position in the top half of the draft to get to where they are now.

I agree that it will be more difficult but we can't pretend like they're terrible at the draft.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kaep seems the type to hold out.

I want to see TT use the $ to extend Nelson and Cobb. Extra money towards shields and maybe a lower priced linebacker.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't mean to imply they weren't good. I do believe the Packers have been better. Heres the tale of the tape for the last 4 drafts.

49ers
A.J. Jenkins
B.J. Daniels
Cam Johnson
Carter Bykowski
Corey Lemonier
Cornellius Carradine
Culliver, Chris
Darius Fleming
Eric Reid
Holcomb, Curtis
Hunter, Kendall
Jason Slowey
Joe Looney
Johnson, Ronald
Jones, Colin
Kaepernick, Colin
Kilgore, Daniel
LaMichael James
Marcus Cooper
Marcus Lattimore
Miller, Bruce
Nick Moody
Person, Michael
Quinton Dial
Quinton Patton
Smith, Aldon
Trent Robinson
Vance McDonald

Packers
Andrew Datko
B.J. Coleman
Casey Hayward
Charles Johnson
Cobb, Randall
Datone Jones
David Bakhtiari
Eddie Lacy
Elmore, Ricky
Green, Alex
Guy, Lawrence
House, Davon
J.C. Tretter
Jerel Worthy
Jeron McMillian
Johnathan Franklin
Josh Boyd
Kevin Dorsey
Micah Hyde
Mike Daniels
Nate Palmer
Nick Perry
Sam Barrington
Schlauderaff, Caleb
Sherrod, Derek
Smith, D.J.
Taylor, Ryan
Terrell Manning
Williams, D.J.

Now, I am not a big 49er fan, but just from watching our 2 games, only a couple of these names ring a bell. Outside of Kaep and Smith, are any of these 'impact' players? On the Packer side of the fence we have Lacy, Hayward, Hyde, Bakh, and Cobb as being 'Impact' type picks.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm on board with you. 49er's could easily do without Bolden (went the SB without him), Rogers and Gore (Lattimore's situation is similar to Gore when he was drafted). Not to mention, Iuapati is a guard. As long as Staley and Davis are the tackles, the guards could be replaced. As long as the defense have those four outstanding linebackers and the offense holds on to their starting tackle, Kaep, Davis and Crabtree, the 49er's should contend for a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts