Your Reaction if the Packers were the 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
• While it’s true the teams in the NFC championship game will have to adjust once their QB’s rookie contracts are up and it’s true they have higher priced FAs about hit to the market, I don’t get the emphasis on those teams’ coming “cap hell” (not only in this thread). It’s just a different form of risk they’re taking as opposed to Thompson. The Ravens won their “bet” and had to blow up their Super Bowl team after winning it, but so what? They achieved the ultimate goal. So some teams gamble short term knowing they’ll have to reload fairly often. Thompson’s gamble is the Packers are in the hunt nearly every season and his mostly young roster comes together to win it all every few years. A lot goes into winning a title beyond just the roster. Packers fans know all too well the part injuries can play. And then there’s team chemistry. The teams considered among the four best this season are subject to an injury or two next season that could spoil their chances for a title.

• rodell330, you really don’t want to concede the obvious point that adambr2’s “Team A” has been more successful over the past 4 seasons? It’s an obvious point, why not agree?

• NOMOFO, worst analogy this year. Now January isn’t over yet but still… :D BTW, what is a “guaranteed” investment in the stock market? And wouldn’t Thompson’s 40-50-10 mix be riskier than a 20-20-60 mix in normal market conditions because growth (50% vs. 20%) is riskier than income or “guaranteed”? Or are you saying Thompson takes more risks than what “rodell330 and others” are suggesting?

lol... "Portfolio". Guaranteed interest in the entire "investment portfolio". Ahhhhhhh... a man of my own heart. Of course... I knew that with your sig line! In lies the key point my grasshoppa. We have to look at the TOTAL portfolio. Ted's is a much more conservative approach given the guaranteed portion and only 10% income. Income stocks are not guaranteed.

TT haters want to get paid NOW, they're looking for income/results NOW, at the expense of future consistent GROWTH. The larger point, people that don't get what dollar cost averaging means and jump all over the spectrum of investing options, end up getting a portfolio that's completely hosed.:D

I love Ted's investment strategy and it's clear he understands what dollar cost averaging is.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's exactly what TT has been doing. If Nick Perry, Datone, Worthy, McMillian, etc. had panned out like some of the Hawks or 9ers draft picks, we'd be right where they are. Or if our OT's hadn't been injured and panned out, our O-line would be damn good and keeping Rodgers upright/protected for longer to make the big plays he's capable of making.

hey i've come to the conclusion TT and his scouting department stinks when it comes to drafting on defense. Yea a squirrel gets lucky and finds a nut every now and then but most of the time he gets run over trying to cross the street...TT has been ran over so many times he has tire marks on his back. At least on defense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome. So that means the cutoff in evaluating teams is 3 years, not 4 years. That makes complete sense.

lol exactly haha. Anything to prove a point haha smh...i could easily do the same thing and say from 2011-present who has had the most success? Packers or Niners? Most people wouldn't say the Packers.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
We are not them and i'm glad we aint, jeeez seems its true what was said about that team in red. They are either up the highest mountain following a win or in the lowest valley after a loss. :rolleyes: Thank gowd thats enough of them for a while.

Last edited:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome. So that means the cutoff in evaluating teams is 3 years, not 4 years. That makes complete sense.

Yes! DUH!? ...until the Pack goes to the playoffs next year and the niners don't, then we need to revert back to a 14 year evaluation! C'mon man... you act like their logic is hard to understand. lol

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey i've come to the conclusion TT and his scouting department stinks when it comes to drafting on defense. Yea a squirrel gets lucky and finds a nut every now and then but most of the time he gets run over trying to cross the street...TT has been ran over so many times he has tire marks on his back. At least on defense.

That certainly is a much more debatable point than the one you are attempting regarding FA.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Don't know what to say. Other than I'd choose Team A, they got a ring.

As for a star QB that has regained his composure this playoff season throws a crucial game losing pick in the NFC Championship game, whom has had a lot of good seasons for us for many years. Cut him. Replace him with someone with more potential and a more accurate thrower, it may take a few years but the replacement will take the team to the super bowl.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Team A...so now do one and exclude 2010.
OK.
Since 2011 Team A hasn't won a Super Bowl.
Since 2011 Team B hasn't won a Super Bowl.

Which team do you prefer?

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that's exactly what TT has been doing. If Nick Perry, Datone, Worthy, McMillian, etc. had panned out like some of the Hawks or 9ers draft picks, we'd be right where they are. Or if our OT's hadn't been injured and panned out, our O-line would be damn good and keeping Rodgers upright/protected for longer to make the big plays he's capable of making.

McMillan is gone yes. One miss. Perry has shown flashes of being a good OLB...especially from ROLB making some impact plays
. DL usually take 2 years...look at what Daniels did this year. Worthy is not a bust either, he was injured. Let's see what they all
Do this coming season before saying someone hasn't panned out. We will getbthe growth of these players as well as get Matthews
And Hayward back. The defense was playing fairly well earlier in the season until Jolly and Pickett got nicked up. Jolly was IRed and suddenly people started being able to run on GB. We are closer than people think. We lost to SF by what? 3 points? ...and we had the chance to win at the end if Hyde times his jump better and hangs onto the INT. Not bad for a 'B' squad as some some. All this also with having 2 no. 1 OT on IR allowing the good teams more opportunies to obey to Rodgers. All I have to say is if we can add 3 decent solid players on defense At S, ILB, and DL. This added to getting our OT healthy I see us beating the 49ers.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol... "Portfolio". Guaranteed interest in the entire "investment portfolio". Ahhhhhhh... a man of my own heart. Of course... I knew that with your sig line! In lies the key point my grasshoppa. We have to look at the TOTAL portfolio. Ted's is a much more conservative approach given the guaranteed portion and only 10% income. Income stocks are not guaranteed.

TT haters want to get paid NOW, they're looking for income/results NOW, at the expense of future consistent GROWTH. The larger point, people that don't get what dollar cost averaging means and jump all over the spectrum of investing options, end up getting a portfolio that's completely hosed.:D

I love Ted's investment strategy and it's clear he understands what dollar cost averaging is.

The only issue is that with the new collect bargaining agreement the ability to "win now" on draft picks is extremely cost effective. The new CBA won't allow a rookie to renegotiate their contract until after the fourth year. If you hit on a draft pick who contributes from day one, you get a cheap player for four full seasons. A great example is JJ Watt. Watt is locked into a 4-year, $11.2M contract. The easiest way to "avoid cap hell" is to draft players who are good in season 1 or 2.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team A...so now do one and exclude 2010. See how many people pick team A then...

Why is 3 years the cutoff? How about 2 Super Bowls in the last 17 years, or 0?

Put it another way...Would you be satisfied if we had lost in the NFCCG 2 out of the last 3 years and lost the Super Bowl the other year, or would you feel like we just couldn't get over that hump and wish we had a ring to show for this era?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is 3 years the cutoff? How about 2 Super Bowls in the last 17 years, or 0?

Put it another way...Would you be satisfied if we had lost in the NFCCG 2 out of the last 3 years and lost the Super Bowl the other year, or would you feel like we just couldn't get over that hump and wish we had a ring to show for this era?

You do realize that if the Lions were to win the Super Bowl next year, these guys will scream that we need to be more like them, right?:D

It's comical that they don't see how nuts they are. What about the Giants? hmmmmmmmm ...remember all the talk about how great that franchise was run back just a few years? Their coach went from being on the hot-seat to getting fired, to winning the SB, to being named coach of the year...and back again to the outhouse this year.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Packers run since the SB win with the exception of the playoff losses. Mostly because 3 of the 4 post season games we've played since then were not competitive in the least. (Yeah I'm including the win over the Vikings last year in that, we won but was anyone surprised with the result?) I have no problem seeing the Packers lose in a close competitive game like the 9er's games this year. Sure I'm not happy with the result but I was satisfied with the games. We played them close and competitively for the most part. Uggg, if only Hyde made that INT.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd be very concerned Kaepernick has regressed as a pocket passer.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be very concerned Kaepernick has regressed as a pocket passer.

Considering he only beat us with his legs, despite us having the worst safety combo in the league, losing Shields right away (so we couldn't game plan accordingly), and already being without Heyward, yes, he's not nearly the QB people make him out to be. Just look at last night's game. That was an unreal TD to Boldin. Otherwise, he was not a good QB in the pocket. But, then again, that's what makes him so special. He can beat you despite his obvious passing issues.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Once our run defense guys got banged up (Jolly and Pickett) and teams were able to run on us our defense didn't look the greatest, no, but don't forget that earlier in the season that our defense when heathly was starting to show signs of being very good. Other teams had a very difficult time running the football which made them more one dimensional. Then we lost Jolly (probably our best run defender) and Pickett got banged up. Add that to Matthews injury, Hayward not being healthy and having to play some younger players and we didn't look the greatest. But I wouldn't say he doesn't have an eye for defensive talent. That's a little far fetched. He's drafted or brought in plenty of good players...many of them undrafted like Shields and Williams. Drafted Nick Collins out of Bethune Cookman. Drafted Matthews and gave up plenty to get him. Moved up to get Hayward. Found Daniels in round 4 and Jolly in round 6. If Hyde hangs onto that INT I would have added him to this list as well. Yes, there have been misses on draft picks...there always will be by every GM. We need a couple players, namely a Safety and ILB that can cover TE's and chase down scrambling QBs. The sky hasn't fallen and just because we haven't won the super bowl for 3 years isn't cause to say TT is a bad GM. He is one of if not the best in the league.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering he only beat us with his legs, despite us having the worst safety combo in the league, losing Shields right away (so we couldn't game plan accordingly), and already being without Heyward, yes, he's not nearly the QB people make him out to be. Just look at last night's game. That was an unreal TD to Boldin. Otherwise, he was not a good QB in the pocket. But, then again, that's what makes him so special. He can beat you despite his obvious passing issues.
Tebow 2.0?

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once Iupati went down the 49ers run game was not nearly the same animal. Him going down IMO made them pretty close to mediocre. The only offense they really seemed to have was Kapernick RUNNING. Also another point....Kapernick rushed for over 100 yards against SEATTLE also and they had trouble stopping his scrambling also. Difference in the game is they made the INT instead of dropping it.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, he threw very well against us from the pocket. In any case, I'm not talking about 2 games.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, he threw very well against us from the pocket. In any case, I'm not talking about 2 games.

kapernuts was not good passing in the last game we played them. he had some god awful throws.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
So, if the Packers were the 49ers, that would make me a Californian. And if I was a Californian and my team just lost, I would simply turn the channel to something else that was hip and join that bandwagon without a moment's notice. My 49er gear would go back to the bottom of the drawer until someone mentions to me that the 49ers are winning again and invites me over to their latte party.

:whistling:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, if the Packers were the 49ers, that would make me a Californian. And if I was a Californian and my team just lost, I would simply turn the channel to something else that was hip and join that bandwagon without a moment's notice. My 49er gear would go back to the bottom of the drawer until someone mentions to me that the 49ers are winning again and invites me over to their latte party.

:whistling:
Woah woah woah guy, Coffee is a Seattle thing. hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts