Your ideal WR target

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Green, when healthy, has been one of the best 20 WRs in football each year he's played, and it's not like he's ancient or anything, he's the same age as Julio Jones. You can argue about whether he can actually STAY healthy, but when he has been healthy, he has been tremendous. Obviously any smart team that signs him will be paying a discounted price based on the unknown of how well he'll hold up.

The problem with signing Green or any of these receivers heading into their thirties is not so much their annual cost, but how much gtd money they are willing to accept. I'd be ok paying real money to bring one of these guys in in the short term, but if money is committed to them in 2021, 22, 23 then I think it's the wrong move.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing how most people are coming around the idea that we let Cobb go a year too early is sorta making me hopeful for a reunion, like we did with James Jones, granted that was due to different circumstance, but still. Stop it you guys! You guys are getting my hopes up! :laugh:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In thinking of what WR would be ideal, it's important to remember what weaknesses were most problematic for the Packers' passing game. In my opinion, there were two major problems that outrank the others:

1) Yards After the Catch: Petals is and wants to be a screen happy coach. He wants free yards. And thus he needs players who make plays with the ball in their hands. Here is where their leaders in YAC ended the season: Aaron Jones (433 yards; 18th), Davante Adams (388; 26th), Jamaal Williams (279; 66th), Jimmy Graham (243; 84th). No one else was in the top 100. So you have a coach that wants to use the screen game and create YAC, but you don't have players with YAC ability. This holds true even to the eye test. Other than Aaron Jones, no one on this roster is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

2) 3rd Down Conversion: The Packers ended the season ranked 19th in this regard at 37.6%. This was actually a significant improvement from where they were at the beginning of the season. So part of the solution here is simply familiarity with and function of the scheme. However, another component is a WR corps that doesn't do a good job uncovering early in the down. And of course, this issues is related to issue #1.

I'm not saying that these are the only considerations that matter, but they should be right at the top of skill sets that the Packers seek to find and add in 2020. If they can find some free yards next season and add about 5-6% or more to their 3rd down conversions, they're going to score a lot more points.

Reaction score
I’m thinking realistic (after all we’re picking late) and someone who might fly under the radar and slip some. Tyler Johnson from MN projects to me as across between Randall Cobbs slot ability and JJ’s feet, route running and ball concentration. . He’s not blazing fast, but his play speed with pads on evens the score on his pedestrian 40 time.

A serious consideration at our round 2 selection. I’d be all over him if he’s slid past that “Terry McClaurin (#76 overall range)“ and make a move up round 3 if necessary.

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some possibilities if cut (per spotrac)
Cap Savings if Cut: WR

Sammy Watkins, KC, $14M
Tyrell Williams, LV, $11M
Mohamed Sanu, NE, $6.5M
Marqise Lee, JAX, $5.2M
Taylor Gabriel, CHI, $4.5M
Marquise Goodwin, SF, $3.6M
Paul Richardson, WAS, $2.3M
Brandin Cooks, LAR, -$5M
Alshon Jeffery, PHI, -$10.4M

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
some possibilities if cut (per spotrac)
Cap Savings if Cut: WR

Sammy Watkins, KC, $14M
Tyrell Williams, LV, $11M
Mohamed Sanu, NE, $6.5M
Marqise Lee, JAX, $5.2M
Taylor Gabriel, CHI, $4.5M
Marquise Goodwin, SF, $3.6M
Paul Richardson, WAS, $2.3M
Brandin Cooks, LAR, -$5M
Alshon Jeffery, PHI, -$10.4M

Sanu is a little bit intriguing. He was on pace for 830 yards through his first 6 games in Atlanta. I heard he injured his ankle in practice shortly after arriving in New England and tried to play through it. That would explain why he didn't produce for the Pats, if true. He could be a good chain mover if he's healthy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with signing Green or any of these receivers heading into their thirties is not so much their annual cost, but how much gtd money they are willing to accept. I'd be ok paying real money to bring one of these guys in in the short term, but if money is committed to them in 2021, 22, 23 then I think it's the wrong move.

Even slowing down, someone like Green should still be an adequate WR. I'm not saying the Packers should make him one of the highest-paid WRs in the NFL, just that if he comes at a reasonable price, then they should look into signing him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanu is a little bit intriguing. He was on pace for 830 yards through his first 6 games in Atlanta. I heard he injured his ankle in practice shortly after arriving in New England and tried to play through it. That would explain why he didn't produce for the Pats, if true. He could be a good chain mover if he's healthy.

I wanted Sanu this year in a trade...I don't think he'll be in the price point range Gute wants to get a FA acquisition in...but I could be totally wrong. Of the list shared I really like the idea of Lee or Gabriel honestly...but I don't see them departing IMO their respective teams just yet.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My main concern with Sanu is that he's more of the WR/TE type and wouldn't add any speed to the starting offense. The Packers need a WR with elite speed who can actually run routes and beat coverage. Watching elite offenses in the NFL this year really drives home how important it is to have fast, reliable WRs on the field.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My main concern with Sanu is that he's more of the WR/TE type and wouldn't add any speed to the starting offense. The Packers need a WR with elite speed who can actually run routes and beat coverage. Watching elite offenses in the NFL this year really drives home how important it is to have fast, reliable WRs on the field.

I'm not denying the need for more speed in the offense, but they also need a reliable possession option to move the chains on 3rd downs.

Sanu doesn't exactly rev my engine, nor do I think he would solve the problems in the passing game on his own. But he could be a piece of a solution.

H

HardRightEdge

In thinking of what WR would be ideal, it's important to remember what weaknesses were most problematic for the Packers' passing game. In my opinion, there were two major problems that outrank the others:

1) Yards After the Catch: Petals is and wants to be a screen happy coach. He wants free yards. And thus he needs players who make plays with the ball in their hands. Here is where their leaders in YAC ended the season: Aaron Jones (433 yards; 18th), Davante Adams (388; 26th), Jamaal Williams (279; 66th), Jimmy Graham (243; 84th). No one else was in the top 100. So you have a coach that wants to use the screen game and create YAC, but you don't have players with YAC ability. This holds true even to the eye test. Other than Aaron Jones, no one on this roster is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

2) 3rd Down Conversion: The Packers ended the season ranked 19th in this regard at 37.6%. This was actually a significant improvement from where they were at the beginning of the season. So part of the solution here is simply familiarity with and function of the scheme. However, another component is a WR corps that doesn't do a good job uncovering early in the down. And of course, this issues is related to issue #1.

I'm not saying that these are the only considerations that matter, but they should be right at the top of skill sets that the Packers seek to find and add in 2020. If they can find some free yards next season and add about 5-6% or more to their 3rd down conversions, they're going to score a lot more points.
Which goes to the thread topic. There is no ideal WR per se. There are complementary players. Sign a stud TE who can work the middle of the field and that opens up a number of possibilities at the WR positions. Roll with Sternberger, who impresses me as not particularly physical, an oversized WR as was the case with Graham, and a physical presence at one of the WR positions is needed.

As noted earlier, and as experience has shown in spades, whoever is brought in better have "good route runner" at the top of his resume to play with this QB, otherwise he's not going see the ball.

There's a lot of chatter about the need for speed, which is always preferred, but there are other key qualifications and it seems to me the pivot issue is the TE position.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Which goes to the thread topic. There is no ideal WR per se. There are complementary players. Sign a stud TE who can work the middle of the field and that opens up a number of possibilities at the WR positions. Roll with Sternberger, who impresses me as not particularly physical, an oversized WR as was the case with Graham, and a physical presence at one of the WR positions is needed.

As noted earlier, and as experience has shown in spades, whoever is brought in better have "good route runner" at the top of his resume to play with this QB, otherwise he's not going see the ball.

There's a lot of chatter about the need for speed, which is always preferred, but there are other key qualifications and it seems to me the pivot issue is the TE position.

I would love a TE option like that. I'm a little bit skeptical of Hooper's value-- so it might be Henry or bust for me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love a TE option like that. I'm a little bit skeptical of Hooper's value-- so it might be Henry or bust for me.

I'm more in the cap of resign Lewis, and draft a hybrid weapon TE. Now granted this is with the caveat we add a true bonafide #2 WR in FA or in the draft. I'd not be against this...is it ideal, no but I fear our WR corps more than TE should we roll with Tonyan, Jace, Mercedes and a draft pick.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb. Why? Because we know Rodgers will throw to him.

Now IF it was safe to assume that Rodgers would throw to whomever we signed I would get Cooper. But as you can see, that's a big "if."

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Now IF it was safe to assume that Rodgers would throw to whomever we signed I would get Cooper. But as you can see, that's a big "if."
I like the fact that Cobb and Rodgers had chemistry. I disagree with your statement after about Cooper however. Cooper is just waaay to expensive and given our small margin of error with the limited cap space we have, he is simply not an option. My preferred target would be Robby Anderson in FA but he too is going to get way more than we should be comfortable with paying him. So yes, given the bare FA market Cobb might be the best signing we can make in terms of quality/price

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

There's a narrative that Rodgers won't throw to guys he doesn't know, but it's not really supportable. The only basis for it is UDFA talent like Jeff Janis. Who cares? Rodgers has thrown to every good wide receiver he's ever had.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a narrative that Rodgers won't throw to guys he doesn't know, but it's not really supportable. The only basis for it is UDFA talent like Jeff Janis. Who cares? Rodgers has thrown to every good wide receiver he's ever had.
Agreed.

Latest posts