You are the dumbest people on the planet.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching some draft coverage over the last two days and pondering our moves, I decided to pop over to good old Packerforum.com and see what the good people of Packer Nation had to say about what's gone down so far. Needless to say, I was pretty shocked and appalled at the lack of confidence in our team and the downright ignorance some of you have shown. Time for an education, friends. Open your eyes and ears.

I see the main issue that's got everyone in an uproar is the drafting of Justin Harrell. At the time of the drafting, I was pretty shocked, and initially disagreed with the decision, but the more I looked into it, the more I realized that it was a very good selection. Here's why.

Our main positions of need are considered to be RB, TE, DB, WR, and DT. At RB, there was obviously no player of considerable value that you could justify taking at 1.16. At TE, Greg Olsen would have been a gigantic reach, and as our organization has stated, they don't feel that TE is as big of a need as we do.

At DB, any corner we would have selected would have been relegated to Nickle duty next season. If you have 1 and only 1 1st round draft pick, and you're a mediocre team, you don't use it on a player that won't be an every down impact guy. At S, all 3 available players with 1st round grades did not fit our needs. Michael Griffin, Reggie Nelson, and Brandon Merriweather are all smaller, quicker coverage Free Safeties. We already have that taken care of with Nick Collins, what we need is a Strong Safety. The SS has to be a big, hard hitting player in our system, and none of these 3 or Nick Collins fit that billing. This need was addressed later with the very large Aaron Rouse.

WR is the only position, then, that you can legitimately debate we should have taken instead of DT where we were selecting. If you are going to debate anything, debate that we should have selected Bowe or Meachem instead of Harrell. The fact that we didn't select either of these players shows you the faith that our staff has in Greg Jennings, a player who most of you love, and a pick that was highly scrutinized by most of you idiots last season. We did add 2 WRs later on, in Jones and Clowney. One is a tough guy, one is a burner.

Obviously, Harrell was drafted because we felt that the DT position was not nearly as deep in this draft as the WR position, which I agree with. There is no 5th-7th round DT that has nearly the value of a David Clowney, who led his team in receptions 2 straight seasons and is a track star, literally.

As for Randy Moss, he wasn't coming here, end of story. If you have the choice between New England and anywhere else, you would be stupid to pick the other option. Not getting Randy Moss does not make Thompson a bad GM or the Packers a bad team. It just means that Thompson is not as good as Pioli and the Packers are not as good as the Patriots. Right now, Thompson and the Packers are in that club with 30 other GMs and teams. Moss wasn't coming here for less than the $9.75 M salary we would have had to paid him, and even then he might have refused a trade to GB because he wanted to play for the Patriots so bad. Being worse than Scott Pioli does not make Ted Thompson bad.

In closing, all I have to say is this. 3 1st Team All-Rookie selections in 2006 for the Packers, more than any other team, and 4 wins improvement.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good post. We've also really addressed the pitiful ST crew we had last season. 4-5 very good coverage guys (Rouse, Jones, Clowney, Hall, Bishop) and the best placekicker in the draft. PLus, Jones, Clowney and Jackson are good return guys.

Our D should have two immediate helpers (Terrell, Rouse). Our O should have 2-3 (Jackson, Jones, Clowney) and the ST got a ton better. Add in some depth on the OL and this was a pretty solid draft.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with all due respect here, I disagree. I do like the receiver from VT. in the fifth round. I think Harrell is a reach at #16. I don't think he's a bad player, but I also don't think he's going to be an impact player. He'll be a nice player, but you get nice players in rounds 2-5. In the first round I want a guy who can start. But then again, this is all opinion and none of us will know for sure until the season starts.

OP
OP
K

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great analysis, Pyle. How about some football reasoning behind your opinions? I know you're a football coach and knowledgeable about the game, throw some real arguments at me. "Get real," "TT sucks," and "This is the worst draft ever" are not real arguments. I welcome some smart, thought out opposition to my points.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Harrell was drafted because we felt that the DT position was not nearly as deep in this draft as the WR position, which I agree with. There is no 5th-7th round DT that has nearly the value of a David Clowney

Excellent point.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with the majority of your post, but you could argue that harrell at #16 was just as much of a stretch as Olsen would have been at #16.

Most of the other picks I like, though, especially Jackson at RB...seems very shifty, explosive off cuts, and able to lower his shoulders for contact.

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say a run stuffing DT is a bigger need than TE - esp with all the money we now have at LB.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Great analysis, Pyle. How about some football reasoning behind your opinions? I know you're a football coach and knowledgeable about the game, throw some real arguments at me. "Get real," "TT sucks," and "This is the worst draft ever" are not real arguments. I welcome some smart, thought out opposition to my points.

Why? It's pointless.

This has not been a good draft for THIS years Packers.

I am tired of talking about depth. I am tired of talking about potential. I want to win football games period.

I was told over and over again we were not signing FA cause we were blowing our load on Moss. What Happened? The Patriots want to win, thier is a desire to acheive success RIGHT NOW. We don't have that.

We have fodder, not depth. You guys think depth is any ol' person at any given position. We don't have budding superstars, we have bodies.

You guys will never get it and you will never be able to look at things objectively so I choose just to laugh. You can't seperate your fandon from reality. You want to go on and on about our O-line when the truth is we had to keep a bunch of guys into block because they were incompetent. You want to act like the RB position isn't a dire need because we have BODIES back there. You need quality, not quantity.

There is no sense. This draft has been a disaster. No Moss, No LJ, No Turner, NOTHING!! Our big addition has been FRANK FRIGGIN WALKER!

Keep banking your dreams on unfounded POTENTIAL but there comes a time when you have to win. Ted Thompson days in GB are numbered and the clocks ticking. I for one, can't wait til he goes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
i agree with the majority of your post, but you could argue that harrell at #16 was just as much of a stretch as Olsen would have been at #16.

Speaking about this. I don't know who's a reach, who could be taken later. I don't know how these men will play in the NFL for years to come.

BUT, continuing on the thought, maybe Olsen was a reach, maybe Harrell was a reach. If they were both considered a reach, I bet Ted knew this.

How do we know that Ted didn't try to trade down? We know he likes to. Maybe he knew if he didn't take him at 16 we wouldn't be able to get him with our second rd pick.

Not that anyone knows for sure, but who would have been a better selection?

I'm ignorant when it comes to college talent, but I thought S Nelson would have been a good pick. That's just off what I read an a few clips I've seen though.

OP
OP
K

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ignorant when it comes to college talent, but I thought S Nelson would have been a good pick. That's just off what I read an a few clips I've seen though.
He is a good player, but how does he fit on our team?

OP
OP
K

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am tired of talking about depth. I am tired of talking about potential. I want to win football games period.

I was told over and over again we were not signing FA cause we were blowing our load on Moss. What Happened? The Patriots want to win, thier is a desire to acheive success RIGHT NOW. We don't have that.

We have fodder, not depth. You guys think depth is any ol' person at any given position. We don't have budding superstars, we have bodies.

You guys will never get it and you will never be able to look at things objectively so I choose just to laugh. You can't seperate your fandon from reality. You want to go on and on about our O-line when the truth is we had to keep a bunch of guys into block because they were incompetent. You want to act like the RB position isn't a dire need because we have BODIES back there. You need quality, not quantity.

There is no sense. This draft has been a disaster. No Moss, No LJ, No Turner, NOTHING!! Our big addition has been FRANK FRIGGIN WALKER!

Keep banking your dreams on unfounded POTENTIAL but there comes a time when you have to win. Ted Thompson days in GB are numbered and the clocks ticking. I for one, can't wait til he goes.
This is actually a reasonable point. We can't really argue the draft, because TT's track record there is good, and because no one knows how these players will turn out, but debating whether or not we should have made acquisitions in free agency is possible.

As it stands, we're going to have a lot of unused cap room, and there were a lot of proven commodities that went for reasonable prices this offseason. It's not like everyone was given a Nate Clements or Adalius Thomas contract. I do agree that the organization is doing a disservice to the fans if they do go into the offseason with 10 M + in cap room. However, I emphasize IF. There is still some time left, there will be time for us to rip TT to pieces if we so desire in August.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

You know that Marquand Manuel guy? Yeah, he'd take his spot :)

As I said in an earlier post, I believe Aaron Rouse will be starting aside Collins and will be a stud.

I'm not knocking the pick, I'm not a draft guru college expert person thingy.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
pyledriver80 said:

The Patriots want to win, thier is a desire to acheive success RIGHT NOW. We don't have that.

I agree. And I'm tired of hearing about Ted's 10 year plan. It has been proven over and over again that you can go from being a losing team, to making the playoffs or even winning the Superbowl, IF you make the right, moves. The Steelers went from being 6-10, to going 15-1, then winning the Superbowl the year after that. The Saints went from being 3-13, and enduring the Katrina disaster, to 10-6 and winning their division. The Chargers went from 4-12 in 2003, to 12-4 the next year. I could go on and on.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
We do have a lot of cap room, but who the hell said once the draft is over the off season is over? Isn't their a lot of cuts made in a month? June 1st? Cuts made because of players contracts are too expensive.

Right?

OP
OP
K

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
Zero2Cool said:

Probably not. Nelson is a fantastic cover safety, but simply is not fit to play SS in our defense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
kmac said:
Zero2Cool said:

Probably not. Nelson is a fantastic cover safety, but simply is not fit to play SS in our defense.

Ok buddy, anyone who can have 'fantastic' and their name in the same sentence MUST be a better 'fit' on our team than Manuel! :p

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't bank on june 1 cuts. I've lost all faith in them after the Hardly Nickerson debacle.

As pyle noted, we need more of an impact player on offense, and we have failed to do so thus far, even with the gaudy cap space.

Someone noted on another thread that the selection of Harrell could have been to slide Jenkins outside and use KGB as trade bait, so as for major FA aquisitions, I think that's over...but TT may have this, and other trade options up his sleeve.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
pyledriver80 said:

Why? It's pointless.

This has not been a good draft for THIS years Packers.

Wow, great post. If I read almost everything else on this site, you'd think every pick we made was perfect. And anyone that disagrees gets posts made about "quit bashing TT." And I don't think you're the only one who wants to win now. This guy I know, his name is Brett, he does too.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we will have 3 starters (Harrell, Jackson and Rouse) as well as a kicker from this draft start in 2007. that's pretty good.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett Favre didnt agree with Ted Thompsons ability and plan for the packers.... he could have hit the road two years ago.

he stayed around ... hes here now. he trusts TT someone whos job is to build a great football team..

We now have a defense with some holes filled and a chance to be one of the Top d's in the league under the same coordinator for once.

Ted Thompson isnt going anywhere... the brass trust him obviously, the players trust him obviously, and the people on this forum with brains trust him. he is here to stay and im glad, because if not wed just be in the same shape sherman had us in except on the major decline.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett Favre didnt agree with Ted Thompsons ability and plan for the packers.... he could have hit the road two years ago.

he stayed around ... hes here now. he trusts TT someone whos job is to build a great football team..

We now have a defense with some holes filled and a chance to be one of the Top d's in the league under the same coordinator for once.

Ted Thompson isnt going anywhere... the brass trust him obviously, the players trust him obviously, and the people on this forum with brains trust him. he is here to stay and im glad, because if not wed just be in the same shape sherman had us in except on the major decline.

Perfect Example

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts