YAC Receivers

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For this offense to continue its success beyond 2020, it will need to continue to add wrinkles and evolve. To remain static in this league is to become irrelevant.

Getting Josiah Deguara back in 2021 will help, as this offense has the capacity to create a real role for an H-back. So that's one avenue to continue building on the foundation.

But the other main way this offense can grow, in my opinion, is a wide receiver with speed and run after catch/contact ability to turn the jet/orbit motion game into a more feasible threat.

For NFL comparison, I am thinking of players in the mold of Deebo Samuel.

So who are the prospects coming up who could at least potentially fit in that type of role in the offense?

Here's what I've got so far:
  • Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
  • Rondale Moore, Purdue
  • Kadarius Toney, Florida
  • Amari Rodgers, Clemson
  • Elijah Moore, Ole Miss
  • Tutu Atwell, Louisville
  • Demetric Felton, UCLA
  • Jaelen Darden, N. Texas

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés curious if you think Whop Philyor out of IU deserves to be here and if not why?

I 100% agree with your list and honestly I forgot about Felton when I did my undersized WRs I like. Tutu, Darden and Philyor are three guys that I think we realistically may draft...would love to have Toney however in a BIG way!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Dantés curious if you think Whop Philyor out of IU deserves to be here and if not why?

I 100% agree with your list and honestly I forgot about Felton when I did my undersized WRs I like. Tutu, Darden and Philyor are three guys that I think we realistically may draft...would love to have Toney however in a BIG way!

Have not watched Philyor to have a strong opinion one way or another. From what I've read, he's been compared more to a T.Y. Hilton style of receiver who maybe would be more effective downfield than in the YAC/motion game? But that's only one bit of analysis that I came across.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have not watched Philyor to have a strong opinion one way or another. From what I've read, he's been compared more to a T.Y. Hilton style of receiver who maybe would be more effective downfield than in the YAC/motion game? But that's only one bit of analysis that I came across.

Gotcha. Be curious if you ever to see tape what you think.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm very big on Toney, BUT at the pick it would take to nab him I like us going the defensive side of the ball in this draft iDL, CB or LB

Tutu is a guy I've had circled for sometime. I think he or Darden are much more likely a pick fitting Gute's mindset of WR history.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés thought of throwing a WR thread up...but not fully fleshed out my thoughts yet for that. I will say this, Bateman is perhaps my Michael Pittman this year. His footwork and route stuff just screams Adams 2.0 to play opposite of him. His speed is meh (some say he could go 4.55) but that footwork and his ability to get open is special.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Dantés thought of throwing a WR thread up...but not fully fleshed out my thoughts yet for that. I will say this, Bateman is perhaps my Michael Pittman this year. His footwork and route stuff just screams Adams 2.0 to play opposite of him. His speed is meh (some say he could go 4.55) but that footwork and his ability to get open is special.

If you wanted to create a WR thread and the mods merged this one into it, I would be fine with that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
  • Rondale Moore, Purdue
  • Kadarius Toney, Florida
  • Amari Rodgers, Clemson
  • Elijah Moore, Ole Miss
  • Tutu Atwell, Louisville
  • Demetric Felton, UCLA
  • Jaelen Darden, N. Texas

I am not saying he is the best of the group, but I NO QUESTION believe Darden offers the most bang for draft stock most likely. That dude is a little giant with the ball. 5'9' but DEAR LORD folks his twitch and shiftiness would make USC Reggie Bush blush...

To be fair, I expect him to compete with a 40 time of MVS's caliber....so in part if MVS would be deemed not worth resigning once his rookie contract is up, Darden possibly could hold down the "deep threat" role of this offense - his hands appear naturally much better than MVS's presently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I watch Rondale Moore and I'm like, 'dang... he would fit perfect in this offense.' And then I see him accelerate through that OSU player and I'm like, "Rondale, will you accept this rose?"

And then I watch Elijah Moore and I'm like, 'dang... he would fit perfect in this offense.' Dadgum, I want one of these guys.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both would be amazing - something tells me if we are drafting a smaller framed slot type guy it will be Felton or Gainwell that offer more assistance in the backfield. That doesn't diminish my love for either Moore because they are awesome.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both would be amazing - something tells me if we are drafting a smaller framed slot type guy it will be Felton or Gainwell that offer more assistance in the backfield. That doesn't diminish my love for either Moore because they are awesome.

Why? They pretty much never used Ervin or the other guy who’s name is avoiding my brain this morning in that role.

Look at how SF uses Deebo Samuel. Reportedly GB loved Aiyuk last year. The Moore’s fit that more than Gainwell and Felton.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? They pretty much never used Ervin or the other guy who’s name is avoiding my brain this morning in that role.

Look at how SF uses Deebo Samuel. Reportedly GB loved Aiyuk last year. The Moore’s fit that more than Gainwell and Felton.

Based solely on our team's track record of what WR types we draft AND the fact we could be looking at a backfield that doesn't have Jones or Williams to compliment Dillon. I'm high on Patrick Taylor...but his injury past and a year off leaves a lot of unknowns to what he will be in 2021.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much a fan of being aggressive. One of my favorite draft scenarios plays out with Gute moving us up:

#27 - Zaven Collins is still on the board and we move the two spots with our 1st and a 5th similar to the Love move up but fewer spots.
#61 - Elijah Moore - FUN as we know
#68 - Paulson Adebo - Gute calls up the Falcons that need more picks and send our 2022 3rd rounder plus our #92 for their #68 and a Day 3 #218 pick.
#134 - Tedarrell Slaton iDL
#142 - Joshuah Bledsoe - S (slot also)
#178 - Brenden James OT
#214 - William Bradley-King EDGE
#218 - Garrett Wallow LB
#221 - CJ Marable RB
#250 - Jimmy Morrissey

That same scenario you could also say we move to #27 to grab a CB and then sit and maybe do a slightly later trade into Picks 70-85 and pick up Gainwell....oh my word I'd be in heaven if this offense added Gainwell and a Moore....DEAR LORD!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, while they had Ervin and Austin, they didn’t use them in a backfield role. Rondale Moore is an obvious upgrade, even at just replacing those two. We’ve seen Deebo and Aiyuk do it in what is essentially the same scheme.

They’ll sign a FA RB and draft one. I wouldn’t pass up on either of the Moore’s for a gadget player.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, while they had Ervin and Austin, they didn’t use them in a backfield role. Rondale Moore is an obvious upgrade, even at just replacing those two. We’ve seen Deebo and Aiyuk do it in what is essentially the same scheme.

They’ll sign a FA RB and draft one. I wouldn’t pass up on either of the Moore’s for a gadget player.

I'm not seeing the connection...my skepticism isn't due to my not liking the Moores, merely our track record at drafting WRs..which is why I brought up Felton and Gainwell - both are running backs with slot chops merely....neither Ervin or Austin can run out of the backfield like them.

I am not choosing Felton or Gainwell over the Moores any day of the week at all.

Two other YAc guys I love is Amari Rodgers - which I have just hair behind the Moores and then rated lower on is Tutu of course. I would absolutely LOVE a draft that brings in one of those 4.

I completely spaced it but Toney could be an option as well...but I just fear he is skyrocketing up the boards and to me he is less of a put together WR compared to Elijah especially but even Rondale Moore too

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our track record at drafting WR’s doesn’t include anybody likes Felton or the Memphis guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So last night I did a lot of watching each Moore, Atwell and Toney.

Those are 4 dudes I am VERY high on. However, I struggle to want Rondale due to all the injuries and his frame - the dude just cannot stay healthy all the time.

Toney is built much better frame wise, but doesn't lack that quick twitch these all exhibit. Top end speed he might be the slowest but I wouldn't be shocked to see him compete in the short distance acceleration category. I'm firmly entrenched in his camp for multiple reasons compared to the other 3:

• Clearly frame wise will take more of a beating
  • Proven it against IMO the best competition
  • Exhibits a willingness to attack a tackler not just always avoid a tackler - makes defense always unsure what is about to happen
I feel like if Gute breaks stride in his "Big" possession type WRs drafted and grabs one of these Toney has the red circle given frame. Elijah would be one hell of a consolation prize and the by and far next best behind Toney IMO that I'd want. I place the same value of each of them, and see 1st round talent there - I just error to Toney given size of his frame.

Tutu is a guy that I sense is going to go higher than he should, but is easily the 4th best of the small FAST YAC type guys - 3rd round is his value IMO, but I'm betting he may go in 2nd - especially if the Moores and Toney are gone by mid 2nd.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Ranking my favorite guys that I have watched tape on so far (note- value comes into play here, which is why you may see some guys further down on the list than you would expect).
  1. Kadarius Toney (6’0, 180 lbs)- All over the field, do everything, every down WR. He’s an electric playmaker. Dual threat QB that can add some trick plays to MLF playbook. Had some drops at the senior bowl, which he would need to work on. But an immediate impact player on the Packers offense.
  2. Whop Philyor (5’11, 181 lbs)- He is a guy you want to get the ball to quickly, and watch what he does with it. Another YAC machine kind of player, that plays like he’s AJ Dillion’s size. He carries DBs on his back and makes the others miss. He’s an effort player no doubt.
  3. Dazz Newsome (5’11, 190 lbs)- Probably the most pro-ready player on the list outside of Toney. He has a versatile route tree and is dangerous in space. Adds value as a kick and punt returner too. He’s not the fastest or shiftiest slot WR on this list, but he seems to do everything well.
  4. Marlon Williams (6’1, 185 lbs)- May have the stickiest hands on this list. He’s an all out effort kind of player that you want to find in the end zone. He does not give up on routes when his QB extends a play. Can’t decide if he’s a good fit in the MLF offense though.
  5. Marquez Stevenson (6’0, 190lbs)- He’s the fastest kid alive. Not the most fluid or polished route runner, but he wins on pure speed. Throw him a screen, toss him a jets sweep or let him score off of a punt return or kick off, the kid has jets.
  6. Nico Collins (6’4, 216lbs)- Tallest WR on my list. The kid has hands. He will win basically every 50/50 ball that is thrown his way. He’s not the most polished route runner, but is a guy that runs a post or go route and will win more often than not. Has some serious north to south speed. Reminds me a bit of Michael Pittman.
  7. Tutu Atwell (5’9, 165lbs)- Shifty and twitchy gadget player. He seems to be all over the field on tape. Jets sweeps, deep routes, short outs, the kid gets separation then is a YAC machine. Obviously his size could be a bit of a concern.
  8. Elijah Moore (5’9, 185lbs)- Super fluid route runner that likes to get downfield and isn’t afraid to lower his shoulder to initiate contact. Adds value to the screen game as well.
  9. Sage Suratt (6’3, 215 lbs)- Hard to read what kind of a player Surratt will be. He seems rather mediocre across the board.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surratt is a possession WR like Lazard...where in sam **** is Rondale Moore??? I understand not being high on him given the injury history but the dude shouldn't be ignored entirely.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Surratt is a possession WR like Lazard...where in sam **** is Rondale Moore??? I understand not being high on him given the injury history but the dude shouldn't be ignored entirely.
Haven’t watched Moore, Felton, Coxie, St. Brown, Brown, Rodgers and Swartz are on my list.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Elijah Moore being that far down is a tragedy.
In a draft of really explosive WRs it was very hard to rank them. Without question if the Packers draft a WR, they will find a player with immense ceiling. With Adams to look up too and Rodgers throwing them the ball, you have to assume they will be put in the best possible scenario for success. I do love Moore and think he will go in the top 100 easy. I had to weigh that Collins and Moore would likely go in the 2nd/3rd and wanted to rank value of pick. Personally, I don’t want the Packers to take a WR in the first 100 picks, because they have some pretty glaring needs the way it sits today and WR is not one. IF they did take a WR in the top 100, I would want it to be Toney. But please don’t get me wrong, if they took Collins or Moore, I would not stop smiling. I love the potential in all of the WRs I have watched thus far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts