WR corps

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope people don't look at this season so far and go "see! we don't need any wideouts!!!!"

Rodgers has been a bandaid for the weaknesses of this entire roster since 2012. Imagine how great this offense would be with some more talent on the edges.
This offense is doing great right now. Have great wideouts is nice, but what else I hope people do is look at this season and say, "see, there are other ways to run an offense and be successful"

Because that's what they're doing. It's nice to see as far as i'm concerned.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eventually, they're going to need a lot more from the wide receiver group
Every team relies on their strengths. If we come out and don't run an offense and give up 27 points right away and have to dig out, we're not built to line up 5 wide and score quickly. That's true.

But, don't turn it over and keep running the offense? There's no reason THIS can't be the offense we see all year and win a lot of games because of it. Any team that's down to 4,5,6 or lower as they're only active WR's would like to have better WR's, but that's the nature of the NFL.

This particular offense doesn't need anything more than Adams at WR and the rest. Sure it's nice to have weapons all over and IMO right now we do. Tonyan is emerging, MVS isn't all that great, limited skill set, but he influences defenses. all that motion and underneath stuff, all these guys have to do is be where they're supposed to be then catch it. retain possession, move the chains, line up for another series. It works. we can run and pass out of the same looks, that's huge. and we have 3 guys that can do it from back there.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points fellas, and I'm not arguing any of them. My concern is some point later in the year you run into a great defense that has plenty of film on you and what you do, and you're going to need more production from your wide receivers. I don't see being able to keep 40 points a game going, but I don't see anyone being able to completely shut this offense down either.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I enjoy the desperate arguments that somehow having a 3rd string QB and 3rd string RB is more valuable to this team than having a developing WR with elite potential (or dlineman or CB) to potentially help out later in the year when the Packers plays some good defenses. But no, the Packers are really good so who cares that they could have been better with players that might have an opportunity to see the field in meaningful snaps this season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I enjoy the desperate arguments that somehow having a 3rd string QB and 3rd string RB is more valuable to this team than having a developing WR with elite potential (or dlineman or CB) to potentially help out later in the year when the Packers plays some good defenses. But no, the Packers are really good so who cares that they could have been better with players that might have an opportunity to see the field in meaningful snaps this season.

The wide receivers they liked got picked off. 6 came off the board before they picked. The last one that was a likely target at #30 was traded up for (it just so happens by a team that runs a remarkably similar offense, under a coach that knows LaFleur well...).

So they looked at the value on their board and decided to move up and invest in a guy they think can be a future franchise QB. Obviously it doesn't make them better in the moment. But if it pans out, it will have been an amazing value and something that will keep the team in good stead for the next decade plus. You don't have to like it, but the trade off in immediately vs. future value there is pretty easy to understand.

7 more wide receivers came off the board before they picked in the 2nd round. They're on record saying that there were guys they liked and were hoping to see fall and that they looked into a trade up and one didn't materialize. So again, they took a guy they liked at another position who is primarily for the future, not for the now.

Again, you don't have to like the choices, but the way people talk about the draft it's like they think it's a trip to the grocery store where you can just choose whatever you like off the shelf. Players have to be there for you to draft them. Trade ups have to be there for you to take them. Teams can't control what a trade up will cost, and sometimes the price is too steep.

And yeah, it's pretty gratifying to see the offense performing so well when half this board has spent the last five months *****ing about how the draft didn't go how they wanted and the sky was falling because the offense didn't have more weapons.

This offense has a great QB, a great OL, a fantastic WR1, a great backfield, and some decent complementary pieces down the line in the WR corps and at TE. The way some people talk about them, you'd think it was the Jets out there...

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun fact: As of this point (week four), none of the teams that drafted a WR in the first round has a winning record.

Las Vegas (Henry Ruggs III), 2-2
Denver (Jerry Jeudy) 1-3
Dallas (CeeDee Lamb) 1-3
Philadelphia (Jalen Reagor) 1-2-1
Minnesota (Justin Jefferson) 1-3
San Francisco (Brandon Aiyuk) 2-2

Now how about that? :roflmao:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fun fact: As of this point (week four), none of the teams that drafted a WR in the first round has a winning record.

Las Vegas (Henry Ruggs III), 2-2
Denver (Jerry Jeudy) 1-3
Dallas (CeeDee Lamb) 1-3
Philadelphia (Jalen Reagor) 1-2-1
Minnesota (Justin Jefferson) 1-3
San Francisco (Brandon Aiyuk) 2-2

Now how about that? :roflmao:

Look up records of teams that drafted a first round QB....let's really blow minds LOL

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I enjoy the desperate arguments that somehow having a 3rd string QB and 3rd string RB is more valuable...
Funny, I enjoy reading posts that regurgitate the same stuff spouted by ESPN hosts...

Matt LeFluer and Gute are putting together a different team than we are all used to. They are bringing us into the modern NFL whereas McCarthy/Thompson (with all respect) were playing the old game. It is not a coincidence that the Packers top three picks were QB, RB, and TE. Rodgers was degrading. Jones and Williams will be free agents this year. LeFluer is building an offense that isn't centered on Rodgers throwing to a standard WR corps. He is using RBs and TEs creatively to give Rodgers options in addition to the WRs.

The draft was about the future and not today. The Packers are great because they continue to think long term. It frustrates the hell of out Bears and Vikings fans that we consistently have winning teams. I love it and you should learn to love it too.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, I enjoy reading posts that regurgitate the same stuff spouted by ESPN hosts...

Matt LeFluer and Gute are putting together a different team than we are all used to. They are bringing us into the modern NFL whereas McCarthy/Thompson (with all respect) were playing the old game. It is not a coincidence that the Packers top three picks were QB, RB, and TE. Rodgers was degrading. Jones and Williams will be free agents this year. LeFluer is building an offense that isn't centered on Rodgers throwing to a standard WR corps. He is using RBs and TEs creatively to give Rodgers options in addition to the WRs.

The draft was about the future and not today. The Packers are great because they continue to think long term. It frustrates the hell of out Bears and Vikings fans that we consistently have winning teams. I love it and you should learn to love it too.

On the flip side of that, yeah we’re a consistently good team, but have quite possibly the best QB to ever play the game and have one trip to the SB to show for it. Sometime I think instead of trying to be consistently good for long term, take a swing at great for the present while you still have Rodgers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The wide receivers they liked got picked off. 6 came off the board before they picked. The last one that was a likely target at #30 was traded up for (it just so happens by a team that runs a remarkably similar offense, under a coach that knows LaFleur well...).

So they looked at the value on their board and decided to move up and invest in a guy they think can be a future franchise QB. Obviously it doesn't make them better in the moment. But if it pans out, it will have been an amazing value and something that will keep the team in good stead for the next decade plus. You don't have to like it, but the trade off in immediately vs. future value there is pretty easy to understand.

7 more wide receivers came off the board before they picked in the 2nd round. They're on record saying that there were guys they liked and were hoping to see fall and that they looked into a trade up and one didn't materialize. So again, they took a guy they liked at another position who is primarily for the future, not for the now.

Again, you don't have to like the choices, but the way people talk about the draft it's like they think it's a trip to the grocery store where you can just choose whatever you like off the shelf. Players have to be there for you to draft them. Trade ups have to be there for you to take them. Teams can't control what a trade up will cost, and sometimes the price is too steep.

And yeah, it's pretty gratifying to see the offense performing so well when half this board has spent the last five months *****ing about how the draft didn't go how they wanted and the sky was falling because the offense didn't have more weapons.

This offense has a great QB, a great OL, a fantastic WR1, a great backfield, and some decent complementary pieces down the line in the WR corps and at TE. The way some people talk about them, you'd think it was the Jets out there...
What I don’t think most people here are considering is that Gutekunst’s draft board may have had Love in the top 5 or top 10 of this draft. We’ll likely never know. We also have no idea where they had Dillon slotted on the board.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the flip side of that, yeah we’re a consistently good team, but have quite possibly the best QB to ever play the game and have one trip to the SB to show for it. Sometime I think instead of trying to be consistently good for long term, take a swing at great for the present while you still have Rodgers.

We're 4-0 and playing phenomenal.

Getting to the SB is really hard.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What I don’t think most people here are considering is that Gutekunst’s draft board may have had Love in the top 5 or top 10 of this draft. We’ll likely never know. We also have no idea where they had Dillon slotted on the board.

What a lot of people also fail to consider is that the NFL draft is not your Amazon shopping cart.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Clearly not in agreement with the Thompson/Gutekunst draft philosophy?:cool:

I ‘ll continue with my desperate trust of the judgment of the real experts.:)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's about the system...and the system is working great! everyone involved, everywhere on the field. the versatility these guys have (rb's, te's, wr's) is a key factor.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame that on McCarthy and Capers and some on Thompson. This is a new team and a new decade. Don't think you will be happy until we have a time machine to do the draft over.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dunno. Its about the same to me as people who just hit "agree" and leave. Sometimes you just don't feel an actual response is all that necessary

That's not the same thing. If I say something and you simply agree with what I said, then you can click agree and you're basically cosigning. If I say something and you disagree, I don't know why unless you tell me. If you merely click the X, I can't be persuaded, I can't learn anything, I can't convince you, or (WORST of all!) I can't mock you.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I blame that on McCarthy and Capers and some on Thompson. This is a new team and a new decade. Don't think you will be happy until we have a time machine to do the draft over.
Gutekunst would draft Love again and I can see why. He’s our next future HOF QB.:)
No sarcasm intended.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
it's about the system...and the system is working great! everyone involved, everywhere on the field. the versatility these guys have (rb's, te's, wr's) is a key factor.
Versatility, getting receivers open and excellent execution by Rodgers.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not the same thing. If I say something and you simply agree with what I said, then you can click agree and you're basically cosigning. If I say something and you disagree, I don't know why unless you tell me. If you merely click the X, I can't be persuaded, I can't learn anything, I can't convince you, or (WORST of all!) I can't mock you.

Ehhh. With as long as some arguments last and how many times the same points are regurgitated around here its pretty common to have allready made a post on why they disagree with the point being made and just dont feel like posting a reply because they allready have to other posters/posters so they just hit the disagree button and move on

Members online

Latest posts