WR corps

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question about MVS, my eye test after 4 weeks sees with MVS. Seems one of MVS biggest issue is at the point of catch or just before. He seems weak or lack of better term sloppy body control. Just seems he getting to the right spot but is not able to fight a contested ball. Just the oppsite of Lazard in that regard.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We disagree on what general manager should focus on when running a great team I guess. I would prefer a focus on winning a Super Bowl, not finding a QB who might be good in 3 years.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive...a great gm does both and with aaron rodgers Gutey has really good chance at winning a sb despite using a first round pick on a guy who your right might be good in 3 years.

The thing is if you watch jordan love on film at all and then imagine what he could develop into by watching Rodgers, being coached by mlf and being extremely intelligent and driven to succeed

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those two things are not mutually exclusive...a great gm does both and with aaron rodgers Gutey has really good chance at winning a sb despite using a first round pick on a guy who your right might be good in 3 years.

The thing is if you watch jordan love on film at all and then imagine what he could develop into by watching Rodgers, being coached by mlf and being extremely intelligent and driven to succeed

You could say that about EVERY draft pick. I would prefer to say it about a draft pick that would help the team be better over the next 3 years though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wonder how many teams have better W-L percentages than us over those 25 years?

The Patriots are the only team with a better win percentage than the Packers since the start of the 1995 season.

http://pfref.com/tiny/Vh0dw

Gutekunst could have improved the chances of winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers by not spending the team's first four picks in this year's draft on backups though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could say that about EVERY draft pick. I would prefer to say it about a draft pick that would help the team be better over the next 3 years though.

Well you could say that about every draft pick, but then you'd be lying...not every draft picks talent jumps off the tape like jordan love. Some draft picks you watch the tape and you think, oh this guy has no chance.

Would you prefer TT had taken a player to help farve win one more sb in 2005 or are you glad he took Rodgers? I'm glad he took Rodgers...and he still had the Packers on the brink of the super bowl in 2007 despite drafting a guy who might be good in 3 years. In fact if not for that last unexplainable Favre int against the giants when driver was wide open, TT likely would of accomplished both. Win one more with you're future hall of famer while transitioning to the next future hall of fame qb

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Patriots are the only team with a better win percentage than the Packers since the start of the 1995 season.

http://pfref.com/tiny/Vh0dw

Gutekunst could have improved the chances of winning a Super Bowl with Rodgers by not spending the team's first four picks in this year's draft on backups though.
I’m glad they are currently backups. I’d be disappointed if some snot nosed college kid was better than our starters.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally speaking, teams that need to insert rookies into prominent roles likely aren't winning as much as teams that have the majority of their draft picks round into good players in 2-4 years do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would you prefer TT had taken a player to help farve win one more sb in 2005 or are you glad he took Rodgers?

The problem being that Packers fans completely ignore the fact that most first round quarterbacks haven't come anywhere close to replicate Rodgers' success but expect Love to work out perfectly as well.

The odds are hugely stacked against that happening though.

I’m glad they are currently backups. I’d be disappointed if some snot nosed college kid was better than our starters.

The Packers definitely had positions of need entering the draft on which an earl round pick would have presented an immediate upgrade.

Generally speaking, teams that need to insert rookies into prominent roles likely aren't winning as much as teams that have the majority of their draft picks round into good players in 2-4 years do.

Hmmm, you mean like the Chiefs last season with their two second round picks combining to play close to 1,500 snaps???

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I say every single case? Or generally? I get it, we had some rookies over the years step right in and never ever look back. Jenkins most recently, Tauscher comes to mind, etc.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, as someone pointed out on another topic; we are playing a lot of back-ups and they are doing well and gaining experience.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Petals' offense has so many condensed formations that use motion, bunched releases, and rubs to beat man coverage that guys end up getting open without actually have to beat their coverage.

I think over the course of the season it's going to force opposing defenses into a lot more zone looks against the Packers, and I have total confidence in Rodgers to carve up zone (as he has been-- he was dropping perfect hole shots to running backs against cover 2 on Sunday).

The system won't allow opposing defenses to be right.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my biggest concern moving forward is that as we play better defenses, they'll have a lot more film on us. Which raises the possibility that the lack of talent in the receiver corps could become an issue. That, and can this defense improve enough?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem being that Packers fans completely ignore the fact that most first round quarterbacks haven't come anywhere close to replicate Rodgers' success but expect Love to work out perfectly as well.
That’s only your perception. People aren’t ignoring that point. I think many of us have more faith in the Packer coaching staff. Some of us see Love as having exceptional and elite level arm and leg ability. The mental growth and rate of development is an unknown for fans.

The odds are hugely stacked against that happening
Your opinion. Guys with Love’s physical abilities are seldom available to us considering our normal draft position.

The Packers definitely had positions of need entering the draft on which an earl round pick would have presented an immediate upgrade.
Again, just your opinion. We (you included) know absolutely nothing about what staff and management felt about the current players on the roster prior to the draft and what the draft board looked like. Projecting unknowledgeable fan opinions as fact is reckless and intellectually dishonest at minimum.

Hmmm, you mean like the Chiefs last season with their two second round picks combining to play close to 1,500 snaps???

Comparing the Chiefs culture, QB, philisophy of roster development to the Packers may be interesting, but people should not presume they are in any way identical.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Has Lazard done enough to be a clear #2, or is it still a toss between him and MvS?
Since Lazard looks to be missing a good chunk of this season, this is an unanswerable question until next training camp. Just by asking if it could be a toss says he is not a clear #2. Need to put Lazard out with Shepard and Taylor and no DA17 or MVS for a game to see how the defense shifts their coverage and how effective he is.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I watched a podcast this week that "Lizard" hosts each week, was a lot of fun. He is pretty upbeat and it sounds as if he thinks he can get back sooner than the doctors think, but we all know how that goes. Tonyan had a similar injury last year, sat out 5 games and then tried to play through it. He eventually had surgery in Feburary. It wouldn’t be far-fetched to say at the earliest, Lazard might make it back by the halfway point of the season, but possibly not until late November or early December.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just by asking if it could be a toss says he is not a clear #2.

For me, I already rate him ahead of MvS in overall effectiveness. When he comes back, I think he'll take back the #2 role. It's MVS who has to catch up to the game in here for me.

Just wondering if others thought so too!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For me, I already rate him ahead of MvS in overall effectiveness. When he comes back, I think he'll take back the #2 role. It's MVS who has to catch up to the game in here for me.

Just wondering if others thought so too!

If you meant a clear #2 in terms of passing volume, I would say yes.

Although I think about the WR corps more in terms of role than hierarchy.

MVS plays an important role in the offense as a vertical threat. His presence makes a difference to the viability of the offense even when he isn't catching passes.

Now they could certainly find someone to play that role better than him. He's not a train wreck, but he isn't a world beater either. But the role is an important one.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched a podcast this week that "Lizard" hosts each week, was a lot of fun. He is pretty upbeat and it sounds as if he thinks he can get back sooner than the doctors think, but we all know how that goes. Tonyan had a similar injury last year, sat out 5 games and then tried to play through it. He eventually had surgery in Feburary. It wouldn’t be far-fetched to say at the earliest, Lazard might make it back by the halfway point of the season, but possibly not until late November or early December.
The key thing in my mind being Lazard is having surgery before trying to come back.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read that Lazard said yesterday he felt great and was planning on being back soon

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The odds are hugely stacked against that happening though.

I'm not ignoring that at all I get it's highly improbable that jordan love or any other qb turns into a future hall of famer.

But I do really like the physical tools love put on film. To me it looks like he has the physical ability to do everything Rodgers does and perhaps more. Now for that to happen he would have to be very smart and very driven. I have no idea if he is or not having never met him. So I'm gonna defer to the Packers fo and assume they believe he is.

Finally he fell into the perfect situation for him, not coincidentally just as Rodgers did. Neither were ready to play right away and hopefully like rodgers, love benefits from sitting behind a first ballot hall of famer.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally he fell into the perfect situation for him, not coincidentally just as Rodgers did. Neither were ready to play right away and hopefully like rodgers, love benefits from sitting behind a first ballot hall of famer.l
I don't love the pick, but I understand it, and it's quite possible it's played a part in lighting a fire under Rodgers. And there's no question he's been put into a situation where he can certainly learn something, from the best.

I have no evidence for this whatsoever, it may only exist in my head: But I always thought Rodgers learned what not to do also, from watching Favre. But he says he's always hated to throw interceptions, so who knows. But I wonder what Love might learn not what to do from watching Rodgers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, Love IS an uncommon talent at his position. Very few players are available at his position that ever are reachable where we draft. Look back over the last 25-30 years at our 1st round picks. Not much there in the way of uncommon talent.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you could say that about every draft pick, but then you'd be lying...not every draft picks talent jumps off the tape like jordan love. Some draft picks you watch the tape and you think, oh this guy has no chance.

Would you prefer TT had taken a player to help farve win one more sb in 2005 or are you glad he took Rodgers? I'm glad he took Rodgers...and he still had the Packers on the brink of the super bowl in 2007 despite drafting a guy who might be good in 3 years. In fact if not for that last unexplainable Favre int against the giants when driver was wide open, TT likely would of accomplished both. Win one more with you're future hall of famer while transitioning to the next future hall of fame qb

Rodgers was in the running to the be the #1 draft pick and, even MORE important, your comparison is RIDICULOUS because Rodgers hasn't been threatening to retire for 3 YEARS! Why do people always ignore that part?!

Also, Love has lots of talent, but he also has a lot of question marks. I am happy for you however, that you're content with drafting a third-string QB with a first round pick who won't help the team for a minimum of 3 seasons.

Members online

Latest posts