WR corps

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far this season, Allen Lazard's efficiency has been astounding.

He's Football Outsider's #1 WR in DVOA. He's certainly not been the best WR in football, but their metrics really value efficiency, and so he's gotten a boost from two things:

1. Rodgers has a perfect passer rating when targeting Lazard this year.

2. He's been targeted 5 times on 3rd down, with 5 completions, and 5 first downs.

Frankly, I think his success is as much about the system working so well as it is his own ability as a player.
I have to give him credit for very good hands. Sometimes there is too much "hope" involved with the speed guys. imho

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's also a misconception about Lazard as an athlete.

His sparq was in the 75% coming out of Iowa State, so solidly above average.

He jumped 38" and 122" respectively, and ran a 4.55 at 6'5", 227#.

So he's not just a big tough lug with strong hands. He has some athletic ability.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's also a misconception about Lazard as an athlete.

His sparq was in the 75% coming out of Iowa State, so solidly above average.

He jumped 38" and 122" respectively, and ran a 4.55 at 6'5", 227#.

So he's not just a big tough lug with strong hands. He has some athletic ability.
Lazard has been terrific. The kid has game. Going to be a very productive receiver in this league for a long time if he remains healthy.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone know anything about lazard injury? there are rumblings that make me nervous

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You had to jinx it didn't you! :mad:
Out most if not all the season in one report.
Wow, what a bummer. I posted that a couple of hours before it went public. I had no idea he was injured.

edit: I should be banned. It’s my fault.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, what a bummer. I posted that a couple of hours before it went public. I had no idea he was injured.

edit: I should be banned. It’s my fault.
we'll see you in the spring. Unless you can atone. Find a way, quick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Brandon Aiyuk out there last night, I couldn't help but be reminded of what could have been.

People will disagree on this, and we will probably never know for sure, but I believe that the Packers would have taken Aiyuk, given the chance.

I think the 49ers traded up specifically to make sure that they got him instead of Green Bay, though there could have been other motivators involved as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Brandon Aiyuk out there last night, I couldn't help but be reminded of what could have been.

People will disagree on this, and we will probably never know for sure, but I believe that the Packers would have taken Aiyuk, given the chance.

I think the 49ers traded up specifically to make sure that they got him instead of Green Bay, though there could have been other motivators involved as well.

You now I agree from all our mocking and discussions leading up. Dude is gonna be a solid WR in the league.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS and Shepherd are going to have to step up. Look for some pretty creative stuff with the tight ends and backs

CheckDown81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Adams. Meaning Atlanta will stack the box to try and shut Jones down making Rodgers beat them with MVS and Shepard plus TEs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
making Rodgers beat them with MVS and Shepard

THAT is one of the scariest things I have read in quite awhile, in regards to Packer Football.

I definitely want the Packers to win, but a part of me wants to see both MVS and Shepherd struggle a bit. Why? So maybe Gute will actually realize that he has built an incredibly weak WR group and fix it.

All that said......I would be equally happy if MVS and Shepherd both have 100+ yard games, look like studs in the process and feed me a steaming hot plate of crow.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT is one of the scariest things I have read in quite awhile, in regards to Packer Football.

I definitely want the Packers to win, but a part of me wants to see both MVS and Shepherd struggle a bit. Why? So maybe Gute will actually realize that he has built an incredibly weak WR group and fix it.

All that said......I would be equally happy if MVS and Shepherd both have 100+ yard games, look like studs in the process and feed me a steaming hot plate of crow.

"I hope the Packers do poorly so I get proven right!"

What a craptastic attitude.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just add Adams in this thread. I'll amend the title.

What the heck was that now deleted tweet from him?

""Sorry fans and friends I wont be on the field tonight. I've done everything I need to do and proved Im ready but I guess I don't know my body as well as others. Good luck out there my boys,"

Docs overruled him?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Apparently they wanted justin jefferson but I agree about aiyuk as well

CheckDown81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just add Adams in this thread. I'll amend the title.

What the heck was that now deleted tweet from him?

""Sorry fans and friends I wont be on the field tonight. I've done everything I need to do and proved Im ready but I guess I don't know my body as well as others. Good luck out there my boys,"

Docs overruled him?

It might have been the docs or the coaches but I understand why they did whoever it was.

You rest him this week plus the bye so he’s 1000% ready for Tampa Bay or you run the risk of reinjuring it with no guarantee he would play after the bye.

Packers thinking they can beat Atlanta without him so I guess we’ll see if this is the right call tonight.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You rest him this week plus the bye

Packers thinking they can beat Atlanta without him so I guess we’ll see if this is the right call tonight.

Most definitely on both of those and it may be why we see other "iffy" players being held out tonight. MLF is going to roll the dice to some extent, looking at the team they are playing, the injuries, the bye week ahead and a decent team on the schedule after that. Atlanta isn't a great team, but I think they are better than some people think and having both Jones and Ridley playing tonight gives me pause on putting a W up before the game is played.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Atlanta will stack the box to try and shut Jones down making Rodgers beat them with MVS and Shepard plus TEs.

So we will see Jones split out a good deal, coming out of the slot and catching passes.
Sternberger will be targeted more often.
Dillon might finally get on the field, and if he and Jamal can get yards then we'll see the run-first offense LaFleur has talked about building.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flacons put up 25+ points every game. Their offense still has ability to take anyone on.

If we can't exploit their defense, it'll get tight.n

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know I'm fully on the ship of we didn't upgrade the room as we should have...however, remove the top two WR on ANY NFL roster, there is gonna be some serious fan and staff puckering because that is tough to overcome. Throw in a #4/#5 type injury (ESB) type to it and it is merely bumped that much more.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You know I'm fully on the ship of we didn't upgrade the room as we should have...however, remove the top two WR on ANY NFL roster, there is gonna be some serious fan and staff puckering because that is tough to overcome. Throw in a #4/#5 type injury (ESB) type to it and it is merely bumped that much more.

ESB it a totally unproven commodity and he was lost before the season even started.

I get your point, but we are also talking about very little proven talent beyond our #1. Lazard is coming along well, but I'm not ready to declare him a budding star just yet. MVS and the rest of these guys have yet to prove anything. Honestly, I would be more comfortable with Kumerow and 2016 version of Jeff Janis (yeah I said it, partially tongue in cheek) suiting up tonight. I doubt there are many top teams in the NFL that have as inexperienced group at WR (and TE) as the Packers.

Added to the WR group being incredibly thin in known talent, you can say the same thing about the TE group. Added together, as I said before the season started, I think you are totally handicapping this offense.

I hope I am completely wrong, but I think we saw the same thing develop last year as the season progressed.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB is averaging just under 40 ppg, 6.9 yards per play, and people are *****ing about the WR's as if the offense is going to be the downfall of the team.

And then, if the WR's do well, it's all because of Rodgers. Do bad, and it's because they aren't talented. Congratulations on building an argument where no matter what, you're right!

Goodness. Anybody complaining about the offense deserves a team that can't score. Wake up and enjoy what you've been watching!

Members online

Latest posts