WR corps

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Nelson or Driver became a consistent starter until his 4th season.
Dont remember much about Jordy or Driver being unavailable early in there careers due to injury. The point im trying to get at is Watson is not available to play. do we wait and hope the hammy responds. What if it persist into next year, we are in the same boat we are now. We should look at trying to get some draft capital from him and take another shot at WR early second if one drops.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if Watson doesnt play this week, I think he is done for the year. Next time he plays ill be holding my breath he doesnt pop that hammy like a zit on a 16 year old blonde preping for her first date. Our WR corps is gonna be really good but we lack a true number 1. I think its time to package Watson and try to hit on a WR early second or late first....someone got to drop due to all the early WR talent. Im looking for of a gamer type of guy that fits well with our other young guys, not a track star. A "Pickins' type of guy if you will. Whata think give Watson another year or be aggresive.
Good points and a good question. If I'm going on emotion, which is mostly anger so not good, yeah I'd move him and grab another WR early 2nd round. I'm sick if seeing him walk the sidelines in street clothes.

But the logical part of me says that makes no sense. First, Watson is worth nothing in a trade. Second, and this has been noted by others, he has to be accounted for when he does play, making life easier for the other talented WRs and TEs to get open. Third, GB has other, more pressing needs for the early draft picks. Finally, give Watson a third year and another off season to work with strength and conditioning coaches to see how he can build some strength and flexibility.

Hamstring injuries are notoriously hard to heal, and chronic. Each time an athlete suffers this injury, scar tissue builds, making another pull or even a tear all the more likely. But Watson is young. Players can also be coached to avoid injury.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson is working hard to find a way to deal with this issue. I have a feeling he'll get something figured out this off season, at least to some satisfaction.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson is working hard to find a way to deal with this issue. I have a feeling he'll get something figured out this off season, at least to some satisfaction.
Yeah I have no doubt this bothers Watson a lot more than anyone else. It's his career after all, and with the money top WRs are starting to make, he has plenty of motivation to stay healthy and be productive.

And the guy has the physical traits to succeed - 6'4" with incredible speed. In addition to putting injuries behind him, he has to develop a real route tree beyond the "go" route where he simply outruns a defender. He needs to work on shorter routes, crossing routes, and his release at the LOS. It took Adams at least 3 or 4 years to do all that, and Adams had problems with drops as well.

Not saying Watson is the next Adams. He needs to add some muscle which should be very doable. And he is in good company with the talented, young receivers around him. Fair to say we all want him to get to 1,000 plus yards/seasson and 10-12 TDs. He can do it.

And please MLF, no more jet sweeps for Watson. Yeah he's fast but Reed is better suited to run those plays. I remember Jordy Nelson thriving on crossing routes that he'd turn into 30, 40, 50 yard gains, TDs. Watson should excel at these plays.

Reaction score
Good points and a good question. If I'm going on emotion, which is mostly anger so not good, yeah I'd move him and grab another WR early 2nd round. I'm sick if seeing him walk the sidelines in street clothes.

But the logical part of me says that makes no sense. First, Watson is worth nothing in a trade. Second, and this has been noted by others, he has to be accounted for when he does play, making life easier for the other talented WRs and TEs to get open. Third, GB has other, more pressing needs for the early draft picks. Finally, give Watson a third year and another off season to work with strength and conditioning coaches to see how he can build some strength and flexibility.

Hamstring injuries are notoriously hard to heal, and chronic. Each time an athlete suffers this injury, scar tissue builds, making another pull or even a tear all the more likely. But Watson is young. Players can also be coached to avoid injury.
I’m with you. Although I still think it’s ok to go WR this year with a thick group. My best guess is they’ll be a Top 50 rated player on our board still in Round3. They’ll be a Top 75 rated player on our Rd4 choice. I’d add one that maybe fits a niche in Round 3-4

It’s such a premium position that finding the next Reed or St Brown becomes very attractive n RD3-4

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't responding to that. More to the draft the instant impact WR you hinted at.
I don't have stats for this, but if you look around the NFL, it seems to take time for most WRs to be productive in the NFL. There are exceptions - recent guys like Jefferson, Chase, Olave - but they're the exception.

It's gonna be interesting to watch how MH Jr. does next year. He'll likely go as high as the second pick. As talented as he may be, if he doesn't have a good QB and at least another receiver or TE around him, it's gonna be hard to put up big numbers. There are some guys that just seem to "get" the pro game from day one. Not many.

Latest posts