1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Wolf's biggest mistake, according to SI...hmmmm!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by musccy, Aug 31, 2005.

1. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The new SI came out today w/ their NFL preview...I found this quote rather interesting...

"...probably the biggest mistake (wolf) made was not re-signing Hentrich as punter, holder, and kickoff man in '98. That has haunted this team and if Sander doesn't justify his 3rd rnd selection last yr. the Pack will be hurting on special teams again."

2. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    ha! little do they know Sander is doing great...and our special teams still sucks ***! :lol:

3. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I always wondered why they let Hentrich go anyway. Him and Longwell were such an awesome combination.

4. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    What I found most strange, however, was that Hentrich was considered Wolf's BIGGEST mistake. Overpaying Freeman, trading up for Reynolds, selecting Edwards or Michaels early in the draft, etc. are all surpassed by Hentrich?

5. rabidgopher04

rabidgopher04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, actually, his biggest mistake was trading for that Brett Favre guy. What a bust. ;)

6. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    well it is SI. i guess they didn't consult their on-site Packer guru for this one.

they said Sebastian Telfair was gonna be the next Lebron James. their superbowl pick this year is the Panthers i think. they say stuff thats way off the mark all the time.

7. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes well they have no clue that Sander is doing a very good job this year.

8. Pack14

Pack14 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to throw the drafting of Reynold's up there as one of his worst picks.
    :puke:

9. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I wolud also say Reynolds was the worst pick.

Sanders is having a very good TC and has shown consistancy so far.

10. Hammer

Hammer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish we had kept Hentrich, but SI pulls that out of their azz everytime they feel the need to criticize Wolf, a broken record if you will. The other blunders listed in this thread are just as valid.
    Hammer

11. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think the Panthers are such a bad pick. They were neck and neck w/ the Pats in the SB just 1.5 yrs. ago, finished very strong last year, and return much of the same SB roster.

12. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Do they even have one? :roll:

And, who grabbed Joe Johnson....? I mean, really now.....

13. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    i dont think it's neccesarily a bad pick, but i'd be willing to wager against them. i think Delhomme is a 1 and done personally..then throw in the loss of Muhammed. i doubt they'll be first in their division, let alone the NFC. but you're right it's not out of the question...they did come on strong towards the end of the season last year when they started getting healthy.

14. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    arrow...I suppose it's a moot point...SI put them on the cover so they're doomed.

Back to the original topic...I agree it would have been great to retain Hentrich, but again, how can you say that giving Freeman 40 mil and watching him evolve into a lazy butterfingered wr is less of a mistake than letting a PUNTER go?!?

15. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    nah i can almost agree to with him to the point that it was a mistake...lets go back to the divisional game vs. the eagles in '04 (the most important packer moment, post super bowl)...

1. Sherman punts the ball on 4th and inch at the 39

***2. Bidwell kicks the ball straight into the endzone, philly ball at the 20...maybe hentrich nails the eagles down at the 6 and we go onto win the super bowl...i dont know

regardless, this team needs every inch of field position having the defense we have

16. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    Wolf's biggest mistake...

Hiring an inexperienced, unqualified tight end's coach to become HC of the GB Packers!!

17. arrowgargantuan

Ratings:
    +4
    heh...right on cue.

18. fvre4mvp

fvre4mvp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sick of the critisicm all over the NFL w/ reporters . If these guys are so smart why are they writing articles for SI why aren't they in the front office. Its just like when guys on ESPN say what where you thinking for drafting so and so. On draft day they sit there and say this guys are sure fire pro bowler he's a great choice. They didn't say that about Randy Moss and they didn't even know about Favre. They are all morons.

19. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ya that was a real disaster.