With Tretter set to come back......

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
.......who gets the axe. My guess would be Garhart cuz he only plays OC. Shields and D.Jones are the only players hurt and dont look to be long term.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Tretter replacing Garth Gerhart on the active roster is a very good guess.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just go with the likeliest scenario that Tretter gets hurt again before ever taking a game snap, so no roster spot taken :D

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if Tretter shares any of the snaps with Linsley... Could be a worth while competition while there is still plenty of time before the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if Tretter shares any of the snaps with Linsley... Could be a worth while competition while there is still plenty of time before the playoffs.
I'd prefer he get snaps at any position they consider him a backup. IMO the competition for C should start next spring.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be great to get him some snaps but certainly not at the expense of Linsley. The kid is starting to really play at a high level and his level of comfort will continue to grow as the season goes on. The fact that he IS a center by trade will also play into the equation I believe. This is a brutal league and this injury to JCT may have cost him his chance of being the Packers center for good...health permitting of course. Everything I hear about this kid is positive and they seem to really like his nasty attitude and the certain level of "dog" he plays with. I think the absolute BEST thing for this offense and #12 in particular would be to have the same center anchoring our line for years to come. We all know it has been a carousel at that position for some time now and if CL continues to develop we seem to have a pretty stout line that can grow together and become a huge positive for this team for years to come. You can't have enough bigs plain and simple so I am certainly excited about getting JCT back but I think his PT should come when the time is right as opposed to when it's forced. These are great "problems" to have and this is a GREAT time to be a Packer fan. GPG!!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Or maybe if we get a big enough lead, we could throw Tretter in there and we can see that way... I'm sure TT and MM can find a way.
Problem with this is we'd pull Rodgers before Linsley and give valuable time and experience with Rodgers. Lets say having a decent back up for the offense line is a good problem.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would like to see the Packers work out Tretter at various positions and see if he could turn into a capable backup. We don´t have any backup I would feel good about playing an extended period of time as of now.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I was dissapointed to see Tretter get that knee injury.

I could hear Packer Nation, "Oh, ****. Here we go. The musical chairs game at C continues." I was right along with it and I stand corrected.

Linsley is working out just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tretter seems to be fragile in the pro game. Ankle then knee. I did a quick look online and saw no injuries when he played for Cornell.

He seems fragile in the NFL.

Is he a backup at Guard? Well, he was a TE in college, C with Packers. Now G? Not likely.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see the Packers work out Tretter at various positions and see if he could turn into a capable backup. We don´t have any backup I would feel good about playing an extended period of time as of now.
This is the best post I've read in this thread thus far. The loss of Don Barclay has not bitten us yet and obviously I hope and pray it never does this season. Barclay was the guy that could play just about any position in a pinch and while maybe not being a pro-bowl caliber guy he was a tremendous stop-gap who's value can't be overstated. Tretter has a skill set conducive to playing this jack of all trades role and I think the whole team could breathe easier knowing we have a guy that could step in and keep things rolling as seamless as possible. Imagine if he can grow into this JOAT role and flourish in it. When we get DB back we would have two guys that could step in at a number of key positions and that is a luxury most teams just don't have. I know DB is a RFA next year but man would I sure love to see him back in the fold. We all know the importance of the O-Line and I am pretty excited about this unit current day as well as years to come. I keep saying it and will continue to do so...man it's a GREAT time to be a Packer Backer! GPG!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Use Tretter in short yardage and goal line situations as an extra blocking FB or TE.

There are ways to use him where he can contribute without tinkering with the current OLine's chemistry. Its just up to MM and the gang to do it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Losing Barclay actually did bite us already. He would have been playing instead of Sherrod when Bulaga got hurt imo. I also think that Tretter is the kind of guy that could learn to play guard fairly quickly as well. In a couple of years, Tretter might be very similar to Barclay in the number of positions he can play and eventually may become Lang or Sitton's replacement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts