Willie Davis died.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're at the point in time where we will be seeing these Lombardi era Packers passing away every few months. Sad. Wonder who's left?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As good as he was, he was underrated as a DE. If anyone has ever seen the clip on The Packers with an interview with Bill Curry; so poignant, and it tells you everything you need to know about Willie Davis. RIP

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gopkrs, I have not but will look it up. Thanks for the info. R.I.P. one of my favs from when I was a kid.
The whole program is I think 30 minutes and is very good. But the part when Curry talks about Willie coming up to him shows a lot about the Packers and especially about Willie Davis. It must have been about the 19xx season. But Curry's comment was about when he came to GB as a rookie. You know what, I'll bet it was on the 1965 season. That was the first World Championship of 3 in a row.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My girlfriend told me an old Packer had died, but didn't have the name. I see now it was Willie Davis, a Hall of Famer and one of the all time greats. Apparently as a person too. Very sad.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listened to the Packers podcast today. They gave out the stats:

Passed away recently:
- Jim Taylor
- Forrest Gregg
- Willie Wood
- Bart Starr

Remaining from the Lombardi era:
- Jerry Kramer
- Paul Hornug
- Herb Adderly
- Dave Robinson

It seems that Jack Vainisi, Pat Peppler, and Vince Lombardi are hard at work putting the greatest team together again.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Listened to the Packers podcast today. They gave out the stats:

Passed away recently:
- Jim Taylor
- Forrest Gregg
- Willie Wood
- Bart Starr

Remaining from the Lombardi era:
- Jerry Kramer
- Paul Hornug
- Herb Adderly
- Dave Robinson

It seems that Jack Vainisi, Pat Peppler, and Vince Lombardi are hard at work putting the greatest team together again.
I think Bob Skoronski passed away at about the same time as those other four as well.

H

HardRightEdge

An interesting chapter in the Davis legacy is his participation in the Cleveland "Ali Summit" of 1967.

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-cleveland-summit-muhammad-ali/

It started out with a Bob Arum deal with the government that would have had Ali fulfill his military obligation with boxing exhibitions for the troops while the participants in the summit would get a cut of local closed-captioned TV rights to the matches if they could persuade Ali to go along. Ali refused. Davis is quoted here as saying he believed Ali's refusal to be unpatriotic.

But in the end, they all stood behind Ali's decision, including Davis.

"When they recognized that they were not going to change Ali’s mind and they were not going to see any money from a deal with Arum, they could have walked away. Instead, they used their collective power to support Ali. They sacrificed some of their own popularity to stand up for religious freedom and to stand up to a government that seemed to be singling Ali out for punishment because he was black and outspoken."

Members online

Latest posts