Williams would consider staying even if it means less money?

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bubba is out unless he accepts less money, I don't know how big KGB's salary will be for 2008 but it will probably be very high for a situational pass-rusher, but I think he will be kept because he is so valuable to our pass-rush.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bubba is out unless he accepts less money, I don't know how big KGB's salary will be for 2008 but it will probably be very high for a situational pass-rusher, but I think he will be kept because he is so valuable to our pass-rush.

KGB is 6+ Mil with a final cap number of 7.7 Mil. Way to much for the number of downs he plays.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think KGB is willing to take a paycut either, I think he stays or goes.

Could be wise to let him go and find a guy in the draft that can be a situational pass-rusher..

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think KGB is willing to take a paycut either, I think he stays or goes.

Could be wise to let him go and find a guy in the draft that can be a situational pass-rusher..

There may end up being a few options in Rd1. Pure DE or DE/LB.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
what's the cap hit if we release him? And Bubba?

This is my best guess.
Release Bubba and KGB after Jun 1 to keep their SB spread over 08 and 09 we would gain their full 08 base salary. 3 mil for Bubba and 6.1 mil for KGB. We would still need to pay Bubba 500K RB.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know you said it's just your guess, but how do you figure that we end up keeping their base salary? I'm being serious, not being a smart alek. The way I understand it, they are guaranteed that money, whether they play for us or not. So, for instance, if we release KGB and he signs on with another team in '08 for $2M, we are still acountable for the difference, $4.1M. I may be way off, and if I am, please set me straight.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I know you said it's just your guess, but how do you figure that we end up keeping their base salary? I'm being serious, not being a smart alek. The way I understand it, they are guaranteed that money, whether they play for us or not. So, for instance, if we release KGB and he signs on with another team in '08 for $2M, we are still acountable for the difference, $4.1M. I may be way off, and if I am, please set me straight.

This is really my first year looking deeper into the Cap, but the way I understand is that a players base salary is not guaranteed. If they are released. The remaining amount from their SB is escalated and hits the cap immediately. For KGB that would be 3.1 mil. but if released after June 1. the escalated PRSB can be spread over two years.

It is the reason that SB is such a big number in contracts now. They get the big money up front.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Williams would consider staying even if it means less mo

It is the reason that SB is such a big number in contracts now. They get the big money up front.

Makes sense. That way they can cut them in a situation... just like this.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This guy seems to be pretty close

http://www.flex.com/~deeph2o/CapPage.html

he works on it all the time..Not saying he is perfect but I have noticed that he seems to be closer then some reporters that toss out numbers..

He claims right now packers are 22 million under, and with the 7 million added thats like 29 million..

however there are a few players that have to be re-signed, I am not positive on all the legal wording but these players do not have contracts.

Ryan Grant will be tendered..I think Heron is up for new contract too as he signed a one year deal..

Un restricted.

LS Rob Davis
TE Ryan Krause
QB Craig Nall
CB Frank Walker
C Tyson Walter
LB Tracy White
DT Corey Williams

Restricted

DT Colin Cole
RB Vernand Morency

Members online