Williams would consider staying even if it means less money?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DT Williams might consider taking less to stay put

Jan. 23, 2008

A few days removed from their upset loss to the Giants in the NFC title game, we’re told the Packers’ top priority at this writing was to nail down a well-deserved contract extension for head coach Mike McCarthy, which we hear could happen any time now. Once that piece of important business is taken care of — look for McCarthy to double his yearly salary to roughly $4 million — the team is expected to begin taking a closer look at its unsigned free agents, with DT Corey Williams considered to be at the top of the list. As good as Williams performed this season, our sources believe the Packers will not be willing to break the bank on his behalf at a position at which they have already invested heavily. The fact the DT position is also considered probably the deepest position on the team could also send Williams packing. What could keep Williams around, though, is his reported willingness to offer the team a hometown discount for his services. “I love being here in Green Bay,” Williams told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel last week. “The only thing I can say about that is I just want to be treated fair. If that means I would have to take a little cut or whatever, like I said, I just want to be treated fair.”

From Pro Football Weekly

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's pretty impressive, considering the way some guys look for their payday.

I hope TT gives him a good market-value offer. Regardless of our depth @ DT, we saw how quickly the postion can thin and the vitality of health at that spot. Plus, we have oodles of cap space that probably won't go to any premier FA's anyway.

Reaction score
Pro Football Weekly also had a piece on Williams not too long ago that discussed Williams' value on the Free-Agent market.

They concluded someone would look at his stats, and over pay him. Williams is a good player, but he isn't all that consistent.

With reports that DT Shaun Rogers is set to be released by the Lions, I expect Williams to wait until Rogers gets some big money deal, and use that contract as a baseline on what Williams deserves.

That means I think it is inevitable that someone will offer Williams more money than he is worth, and more than than what TT thinks a player like Williams should get. I'm not too optimistic he'll be back, but I'd love for him to return as a Packer!

Reaction score
Re: Williams would consider staying even if it means less mo

bozz_2006 said:
Williams should make more money than Shaun "Fat-n-Lazy" Rogers.

I dunno, I think Rogers will make more.

to be honest, I wouldn't mind if Rodgers signed with the Packers. We've got the rotation to keep him fresh, and more importantly we'd have a DT combo great than the Vikings.

It'll be pretty effin tough to run through those two big bodies.

But yeah, I'll stop dreaming now (about Rogers, not Jennings).

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Williams should stay and Pickett, Williams, Harrell is all we need at DT but keep Jolly also. The rest I dont care about.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:
That's pretty impressive, considering the way some guys look for their payday.

I hope TT gives him a good market-value offer. Regardless of our depth @ DT, we saw how quickly the postion can thin and the vitality of health at that spot. Plus, we have oodles of cap space that probably won't go to any premier FA's anyway.

Agreed.
I want to keep him. Why? Because 2 years in a row, he got seven sacks coming up the middle.

That's hard to do. Plus, QBs absolutely hate it when the pocket collapses up the middle. There's nowhere to go when it's up the middle.

Reaction score
Here's a question:

If Williams leaves, do you take a shot at landing Rogers?

I'm talking about if Rogers is willing to play for a fair deal, somewhere in the 3-4 million dollar range. Packers could say they are a legit Superbowl contender, and Rogers would stay within the same division, having a shot to get revenge at the Lions twice a year.

At 28 years of age, Rogers is in his prime.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Pro Football Weekly also had a piece on Williams not too long ago that discussed Williams' value on the Free-Agent market.

They concluded someone would look at his stats, and over pay him. Williams is a good player, but he isn't all that consistent.

With reports that DT Shaun Rogers is set to be released by the Lions, I expect Williams to wait until Rogers gets some big money deal, and use that contract as a baseline on what Williams deserves.

That means I think it is inevitable that someone will offer Williams more money than he is worth, and more than than what TT thinks a player like Williams should get. I'm not too optimistic he'll be back, but I'd love for him to return as a Packer!

Agreed on all counts.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No. If we try to sign Rogers, we may as well go after Cletius Hunt and Grady Jackson. Rogers has all the God-given assets to be one of the great ones, but his laziness overcomes all that.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:

No. If we try to sign Rogers, we may as well go after Cletius Hunt and Grady Jackson. Rogers has all the God-given assets to be one of the great ones, but his laziness overcomes all that.

He didn't look too lazy on that pick-six earlier in the year... j/k, but seriously.

Rogers is still under contract, and I doubt that The Lions would just jettison him. They at least gotta be in take-what-we-can-get mode, right? And if they hold, no way will they trade him within the division.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:
bozz_2006 said:

He didn't look too lazy on that pick-six earlier in the year... j/k, but seriously.

Rogers is still under contract, and I doubt that The Lions would just jettison him. They at least gotta be in take-what-we-can-get mode, right? And if they hold, no way will they trade him within the division.

If they can't move him, they'll release him. If Ted picks him up, I trust Ted, but Rogers has proven himself to be lazy as hell and Ted has shown himself to be intolerant of lazy players.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

how much do you think williams would land if he hits free agency?

I'm gonna say he could fetch around $5 million/yr, with a pretty huge signing bonus, what with the salary cap hike. he's definitely hitting free agency at the right time

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If that doesn't speak "Packer Person", I don't know what does. Hopefully they will find some middle ground and remain in Green Bay. I truly believe that Williams could play any spot on the Dline.. and do it well.

He has my vote.. not that means didly squat.. but just the same he has it.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams showed up big in the biggest game. If TT wants to keep him around I'm all for it.

I've just assumed that he is gone after the season. If he goes Harrell will replace him pretty well.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a question:

I'm talking about if Rogers is willing to play for a fair deal, somewhere in the 3-4 million dollar range. Packers could say they are a legit Superbowl contender, and Rogers would stay within the same division, having a shot to get revenge at the Lions twice a year.

At 28 years of age, Rogers is in his prime.

I was arguing with a Lions fan on Fantasy Football Jungle about Rodgers. He is lazy and inconsistent. He's not a fit for this team. He'll take plays off. The Lions are letting him go because of this reason. I wouldn't sign Rogers at all. His track record worries me a lot and it's his on the field track record that does.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats pretty good news, he is a good DT and it sounds like he wants to stay in Green Bay and thats the type of players I like.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd LOVE for him to be here, but realisticly, i think someone will offer him the moon, and he will take it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts