Will Free Agency affect our Draft?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett has requested his release from the Steelers. Speculation is he could return to Green Bay and lock down the strong safety spot for Mike Pettine allowing Josh Jones to concentrate on his dime lb role.
Not sure how I feel about it other than as long as it's a cheaper short term deal it might not be a bad idea. As the chances of drafting 2 day one starting safeties seems highly unlikely.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Morgan Burnett has requested his release from the Steelers. Speculation is he could return to Green Bay and lock down the strong safety spot for Mike Pettine allowing Josh Jones to concentrate on his dime lb role.
Not sure how I feel about it other than as long as it's a cheaper short term deal it might not be a bad idea. As the chances of drafting 2 day one starting safeties seems highly unlikely.
I’m all on board for that they are gonna need some depth at worst case scenario and he probly would be cheap absolutely makes sense

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Burnett was mostly done when he left here. Did he get better?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Burnett is okay when healthy. My issue is his ongoing soft tissue injuries continued while he was at Pittsburgh suffering from both a hamstring injury and groin injury during the 2018 campaign. Expecting more then 8-10 games from Burnett is a pipe dream so any offer made should take that into consideration.

D

Deleted member 6794

There’s a pretty big variance of opinion on him being moved inside. I will only restate that the GB Defensive ranking against the run improved dramatically and immediately the minute he moved inside. Now he wasn’t the only factor, as I’ve stated numerous times it allowed us to get our best available talent on the field simultaneously. Peppers and Perry manning the Edge and AJ and CM3 manning the middle was nothing short of a formidable middle crew. CM3 was absolutely and positively a factor in the success against scoring and the running game.

Without Matthews at ILB the first 8 games;

154yds allowed rushing per game
226 passing per game
24pts per game
24 1st downs per game

With Matthews at ILB the last 8 games:

86yds allowed rushing per game
227 passing per game
20pts per game
19 1st down allowed per game

Now that said. My guess is that Clay isn’t going inside for 5M so it’s a mute point either way

I've posted that before but the main reason the run defense improved over the second half of the 2014 season wasn't Matthews moving inside but the team facing five offenses which finished the season 24th or worse in rushing yards.

In two playoff games, facing the best rushing offenses in the league, the Packers gave up 169.5 rushing yards per game that season.

With Matthews playing inside for the entire season in 2015 the team finished 21st in rushing defense, allowing an average of 119.1 yards.

It's time for the Packers to move on from players that weren't good enough to be retained in the first place. Burnett is an average safety and wouldn't improve the defense in any significant way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts