Will Aaron Rodgers finish his career in Green Bay

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
No, I think he may play a few more years here maybe, but if the current management, and coaching staff remain, he would not pull a Brett Favre and retire and unretire, or play with a division rival, but Tom Brady will retire and theKrafts, with Bill Belicheick will find some way to lure ARod to New England where he will probably win 2 or 3 SB’s under Belicheick, ok Lets here the disagrees and old comments but it is a possibility.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way Rodgers is ever on another team is if he's old and ineffective.

If for some reason he ever wants to leave, it would be a long process. He'd simply be franchised tagged for as many years as possible.

Also, just because BB is good doesn't mean he can get any player he wants.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady will retire and theKrafts, with Bill Belicheick will find some way to lure ARod to New England where he will probably win 2 or 3 SB’s under Belicheick, ok
Omigosh, that would be infuriating. Actually, I might even root for the Patriots if Rodgers was their quarterback - not against the Packers, of course. But when Rodgers leaves, most likely the Packers won't even sniff the Super Bowl. Then, it would come out that Belichick tampered to get Rodgers, and the Patriots would be called cheaters again.

But I do think Rodgers finishes his career with Green Bay.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like him to but I wouldn't blame him for one second for leaving if he left because he agrees that the team is a mess as we see it without him and if they are not going to change things so that he alone is not carrying the whole team on his back.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think when Rodgers is gone or retired Green Bay is gonna suck balls lol

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
I think when Rodgers is gone or retired Green Bay is gonna suck balls lol

People were saying this in 2004/2005 when Favre was entering the twilight of his career...then Rodgers comes along.

You can never say for sure that this team is gonna suck after a legend like Rodgers leaves. If a legit superstar replacement is drafted by the time Rodgers retires years down the road, then we could easily continue to win (especially if a great young defense is built up here by that time)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I think he may play a few more years here maybe, but if the current management.

He's far more likely to go elsewhere if they ever got rid of MM. QBs and coaches have a special relationship and he and MM are sympatico. That is something that is built over the long haul, not in 1 or 2 years with Coach Flavor-of-the-Week.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People were saying this in 2004/2005 when Favre was entering the twilight of his career...then Rodgers comes along.

You can never say for sure that this team is gonna suck after a legend like Rodgers leaves. If a legit superstar replacement is drafted by the time Rodgers retires years down the road, then we could easily continue to win (especially if a great young defense is built up here by that time)

Odds are they won't find another hall of famer right away, but they will most likely have a guy better than what Hundley has been.

Their investment at QB should be much more than a single 5th round pick and an undrafted player.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should leave, we have put around badness (yes, real word) around him.
I would like him to but I wouldn't blame him for one second for leaving if he left because he agrees that the team is a mess as we see it without him and if they are not going to change things so that he alone is not carrying the whole team on his back.

Where is this thought coming from that he can just pick up and leave?

He would be franchise tagged if he didn't sign another deal and he refuses to play, that's a 0% chance of winning another one.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is this thought coming from that he can just pick up and leave?

He would be franchise tagged if he didn't sign another deal and he refuses to play, that's a 0% chance of winning another one.

Brian Jones from the Packers 247Sports page was the first to report that Rodgers had an 'opt-out' after 2017 simply because he read his Spotrac page and saw that it said 'Potential out: 2018' with a salary and dead cap number listed.

He jumped to the conclusion that that must mean Rodgers has an opt out before 2018 and reported such, and since then it has predictably spread like wildfire. In reality, every multi year player listed on Spotrac has a 'Potential out' listed on their page -- it just shows the salary cap ramifications for the team if the player were hypothetically cut.

I called him out on this on Twitter, and when another writer backed me up on it, he was basically just like 'Oh ok, makes sense.'

Pretty irresponsible journalism if you ask me.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Teddy is still around. I think we may see another Favre fiasco. As time passes, I'm not so sure that Favre was as bad of a guy as he was portrayed. He knew he was getting down to the end of his career and got fed up with Teddy. They were probably in his ear to just retire instead of playing elsewhere. Hence the back and forth retirement.

I think Rodgers will get to that point as well. He will get tired of the same o same o. And Teddy will keep his draft and develop forcing Rodgers to want out too.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Teddy is still around. I think we may see another Favre fiasco. As time passes, I'm not so sure that Favre was as bad of a guy as he was portrayed. He knew he was getting down to the end of his career and got fed up with Teddy. They were probably in his ear to just retire instead of playing elsewhere. Hence the back and forth retirement.

I think Rodgers will get to that point as well. He will get tired of the same o same o. And Teddy will keep his draft and develop forcing Rodgers to want out too.

I don't think anyone ever thought Favre was a bad guy. He just required half the off-season every year to make a decision on his future, which is rather inconvenient when you're trying to run a football team.

Had he came out quickly after the 2007 season and committed to 2008 I have little doubt he would have remained the starter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Favre single handily kept us from another super bowl, he has nobody to blame but himself. I guess he could blame Ted for his draft and develop since he drafted and developed another HOF quarterback to take his place LOL

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are offered 5 first round picks for Rodgers, I think you trade him. The only reason why you wouldn't do it is for business reasons as Rodgers' jersey sales are through the roof. Let's say you receive around the 25th pick in the draft the next 5 years in addition to your own draft picks, this would open numerous possibilities. You have already wasted the last 6 years of Rodgers because you have had an inept defensive coordinator trying to run the defense. It's time to admit you've missed your best window of opportunity with Rodgers and just cut your losses. If you keep Rodgers with the current status quo, keep on expecting the same one playoff win and playoff exit soon after pattern we keep seeing. That's what this team has been with Rodgers since 2011 and that's what they will continue to be as long as he's here.
The reasons this deal will not happen is the NFL doesn't do many big trades like this. Green Bay will also have to eat of Rodgers' remaining guaranteed contract (2 years after this year). The people that think they will be able to afford tagging Rodgers after his contract is up is crazy as this will put them in a salary cap hell. It won't be a popular move because fans are emotionally attached to great players and people want to see Rodgers end his career in Green Bay like Favre should have ended his, but for the best of the team this is a move they may need to make. Most of us hope changes will happen with the coaching staff and scouts and many would move on quickly from it. Moving on from Rodgers will definitely be emotional, but it may be the best thing for both parties and it may need to happen.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are offered 5 first round picks for Rodgers, I think you trade him. The only reason why you wouldn't do it is for business reasons as Rodgers' jersey sales are through the roof. Let's say you receive around the 25th pick in the draft the next 5 years in addition to your own draft picks, this would open numerous possibilities. You have already wasted the last 6 years of Rodgers because you have had an inept defensive coordinator trying to run the defense. It's time to admit you've missed your best window of opportunity with Rodgers and just cut your losses. If you keep Rodgers with the current status quo, keep on expecting the same one playoff win and playoff exit soon after pattern we keep seeing. That's what this team has been with Rodgers since 2011 and that's what they will continue to be as long as he's here.
The reasons this deal will not happen is the NFL doesn't do many big trades like this. Green Bay will also have to eat of Rodgers' remaining guaranteed contract (2 years after this year). The people that think they will be able to afford tagging Rodgers after his contract is up is crazy as this will put them in a salary cap hell. It won't be a popular move because fans are emotionally attached to great players and people want to see Rodgers end his career in Green Bay like Favre should have ended his, but for the best of the team this is a move they may need to make. Most of us hope changes will happen with the coaching staff and scouts and many would move on quickly from it. Moving on from Rodgers will definitely be emotional, but it may be the best thing for both parties and it may need to happen.
lmao.... you are worried about salary cap hell and don't consider the ramifications of paying for 5 first round picks?

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao.... you are worried about salary cap hell and don't consider the ramifications of paying for 5 first round picks?

Odell Beckham is getting paid 2.6 mil per year salary in his rookie contract and he was the #12 pick (5 of those would come to about $13 mil). Kirk Cousins is getting paid 23 mil this year. The franchise tag will be much higher now than it is in 2020. The draft picks are pennies compared to what Rodgers would get paid under the franchise tag.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay will also have to eat of Rodgers' remaining guaranteed contract (2 years after this year).
What guarantees? Do you have a cite for them? I see at Over the cap that he can be cut after this season with ZERO dead money

The people that think they will be able to afford tagging Rodgers after his contract is up is crazy as this will put them in a salary cap hell.
Why? it will be roughly $25m for him in 2020 and $30m the next season. Only Derek Carr has a salary higher than what Rodgers has signed for up to 2020. Several will be redone before then but they aren't likely to blow the bank much beyond those numbers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odell Beckham is getting paid 2.6 mil per year salary in his rookie contract and he was the #12 pick (5 of those would come to about $13 mil). Kirk Cousins is getting paid 23 mil this year. The franchise tag will be much higher now than it is in 2020. The draft picks are pennies compared to what Rodgers would get paid under the franchise tag.
umm... so you want to trade Rodgers for 5 rookie first rounders... and then after 4 years.... what.. cut them?.... I'm guessing you would like to keep them... now you have 5 first round draft picks looking to cash in all at the same time... plus your other draft picks.... no thank you...

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What guarantees? Do you have a cite for them? I see at Over the cap that he can be cut after this season with ZERO dead money

Why? it will be roughly $25m for him in 2020 and $30m the next season. Only Derek Carr has a salary higher than what Rodgers has signed for up to 2020. Several will be redone before then but they aren't likely to blow the bank much beyond those numbers.

According to your page it's 50% guarantee. If he can be cut after the season with no penalty as you mentioned, then I stand corrected. I would have assumed the greatest QB in my lifetime would have had at least some guaranteed money his last 2 years. This would further enhance the case for trading him.

I saw some other people on here saying we could just keep tagging him if he didn't want to stay here which would bite us in the *** after the 2nd-3rd year. If you keep tagging him it will keep going up around 20% each time you tag him so that would mean 3 tags would cost you around $100 million. (http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...tract-packers-cant-afford-play-tag/557688001/)
Who knows, maybe it will be a decent deal for 1 year in the tag as you mentioned in your Carr example.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umm... so you want to trade Rodgers for 5 rookie first rounders... and then after 4 years.... what.. cut them?.... I'm guessing you would like to keep them... now you have 5 first round draft picks looking to cash in all at the same time... plus your other draft picks.... no thank you...

It's a much different time and situation, but it seemed to work fine for the Cowboys in the Herschel Walker Vikings deal. That was 3 1st's, 3 2nd's, and 1 3rd in 4 years. It's obviously important for the GM to make good picks unlike the Browns GM the last 4 years with all the picks they've had, but even in a rare situation, I'd assume a good GM would make it work.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a much different time and situation, but it seemed to work fine for the Cowboys in the Herschel Walker Vikings deal. That was 3 1st's, 3 2nd's, and 1 3rd in 4 years. It's obviously important for the GM to make good picks unlike the Browns GM the last 4 years with all the picks they've had, but even in a rare situation, I'd assume a good GM would make it work.
Salary cap changes between then and now set aside... I'd rather take the sure thing in Rodgers for however many more years we have him.. then gamble on drafting a bunch of unknowns and rolling the dice.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First, nobody is going to force Rodgers out. Second, nobody forced Favre to retire and then try to return after investing a whole offseason in Rodgers.