Why we didn't get Randy Moss.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randy's rant; was almost a Packer (twice) | National Football Post

Excelent article. Puts on a light in the whole Favre drama also.

The strange ranting of Randy Moss this week takes me back to the weekend of the 2007 Draft; much of it spent trying to sign Moss. It was a brief but intense negotiation that fueled some fire with Brett Favre when, for the first of two times, the Packers couldn’t agree with Moss on a contract.
Moss for sale
The Raiders bold experiment with Moss – they had traded Napoleon Harris and the 7th pick in the 2005 Draft for him – ended after two seasons when Moss could be had for a mid-round pick. Ted Thompson surprisingly had some interest, having been impressed with the way Moss handled himself at a charity event that he happened to be at in Texas. And Brett, of course, was extremely jazzed about the idea.
Now there were two parts to the deal to make it happen. First, there had to be agreement with the Raiders on draft pick compensation. We were offering a fifth-round pick and the Patriots later came up with a fourth. That, however, was the not the key to the deal.
One-year deal breaker
Moss was scheduled to make $9.75 million for 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008. Those amounts may well have been $100 million and $200 million; he was not making what was on the contract. We needed to bring in Moss, coming off a year with a pedestrian 43 receptions, at a more reasonable number with upside. The Patriots were also showing interest.
I negotiated with Moss’s agent while the recruiting from the alpha dogs – Brett and Tom Brady -- intensified. Moss was getting texts and calls throughout the weekend from both Favre and Brady both imploring him to come and form a powerhouse duo.
The offers from both teams were very similar for 2007, both around $3 million with additional incentives. Our proposal allowed Moss to make more than the Patriots proposal, although we had significant money tied to 45-man active roster bonuses, protecting us from injury if he could not play.
Our offer, however, required a second year in 2008. Moss and his agents were adamant that he wanted only a one-year deal. Having lost market value from his Raider experience, Moss would agree to a massive pay reduction for 2007 but wanted to hit the open market in 2008 coming off what he expected to be a big season.
The feeling in our discussions was that we did not want to rent Randy for a year only to have him shop to highest bidder in a few months trying to recoup some of his lost earnings in 2007. We discussed different ideas, but in the end we were insistent on a two-year deal. While we haggled about an appropriate roster bonus to activate the second year of the deal, the Patriots relented on the length and agreed to a one-year deal. That was it; he was going with Brady.
Mississippi burning
Brett was livid. The rest of the weekend I was fielding calls from Bus Cook about what went wrong in trying to sign Randy. Ted did not want to deal with Bus, so I listened patiently to their rancor and tried to explain our position.
I truly empathized with Brett. He had befriended and admired Randy for years and the two of them had dreamed of playing together. Here was an opportunity for us to make it a reality. But ultimately, we stood on our principles requiring more than a one-year commitment.
I told Brett to trust what we had at the position; that Greg Jennings would be a star in a couple years. He said he didn’t have a couple of years. Brett offered to give up some of his salary for the following season – although that was his last season with the Packers (see below) -- to bring in Randy. I told that was much appreciated but we would never take his money away from him to sign another player.
Brett was forever wanting a more aggressive attitude by the front office toward player acquisition than the present regime. My constant message that our method of drafting and developing talent rather than acquiring proven commodities only served to infuriate him and his resentment of a general manager that showed him none of the compassion and welcomed input of previous regimes.
Patriot games
Fast forward to 2008. After a wonderful year for the Patriots, catching 98 balls for 1493 yards and 23 touchdowns, Moss was a free agent as he designed, now with interest from several teams to cash in on his one-year deal. And cash in he did, re-signing with the Patriots for a three-year, $27 million deal with over $14 million guaranteed.
And guess what team showed some decent interest again in 2008? Yes, the Packers (along with the Eagles and Cowboys). But again, despite getting Brett's hopes up again, the Packers bowed out of the bidding (I had left the Packers at that point but heard the anger and frustration from Brett’s camp). Moss re-signed with the Patriots on March 3rd. Favre retired from the Packers on March 4th. Coincidence?
Whither Randy?
Now Moss is coming to the end of that deal with deafening silence from the Patriots about re-signing for the third time. A lot can change between now and March, but it appears he has had his run wit the team, and it’s been a successful and lucrative one. And one that found the Packers in second place for his services twice.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But from Bretts camp Ted didnt want him, instead Ted WANTED him for 2 years and it turns out Randy was the selfish one??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
my reply there

Shame on you Andrew.....You are trying to show that Ted was willing to get Randy and even *gasp* wanted him for two years...

But the Brett haters say Ted never wanted him...They will say Ted should have done it just to make Brett happy..

And the VERY next day Brett retired? WOW....We all know it isn't a coincidence, and as pointed out, it back fired..

How come Brett never said that part on the Greta show? Because he is smart and only wanted to tell his side...Little by little things will come out and people will start to see how smart he is and what he was trying to do...

I have a feeling that there were a few things Brett said and did that his camp wasn't aware of...That way they couldnt be harassed for this or that, cuz they truly didnt know..

One last thing

Hi OBF!!!

^^^ that was for the readers on officialbrettfavre.com/forum

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Proving more lies from the Brett camp. Ugh..

Brett, so glad your gone buddy!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish it would have happened. Might be my biggest complaint against Ted I think.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FACT: We get Randy Moss, we don't re-sign Greg Jennings and Donald Driver. Not to mention the impending Finley re-signing.

Would people be okay with that?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
And seriously, there were BIG doubts if Moss would contribute and play nice at the time. Turns out Greg Jennings was exactly what they said he would be too. Brett didn't agree, and retired. His prerogative.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we would have won a SB with Randy. I know others disagree, no point in rehashing it.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I believe we would have won a SB with Randy. I know others disagree, no point in rehashing it.

Hindsight is always 20/20. You might be right but, it's impossible to say with so many variables. Moss didn't win a SB with the Patriots who arguably were a better team than the Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20. You might be right but, it's impossible to say with so many variables. Moss didn't win a SB with the Patriots who arguably were a better team than the Packers.

I dont know if its hindsight if you wanted it to happen before though. I also wanted TT to draft Crabtree, D Jackson, and Hakeem Nicks. Different years for different reasons but I usually picked one player I thought would be a break out, hope the packers draft them and when they dont I follow their careers. Nicks because I watched the bowl game against WV and he was amazing. Jackson because I followed his career in Cal and thought he was going to be a stud with a sick return game, I was screaming when he fell to round 2. Had to Custom order my throwback D Jackson jersey the year he got drafted and everyone had to ask me who he was. Crabtree because I thought he was going to be the next randy moss. I did think Lendale white was going to be a Jerome Bettis but that never went beyond one year.

Just cause one player didnt win a championship on one team doesnt mean he wouldnt on another. Impossible to say, but it was a close NFC championship and any extra deep threat would have helped IMO. Things would be much different, **** Favre might still be in GB if randy came.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine Randy would have been a force in Green Bay.

The problem with Brett is he throws the ball to the other team in the big games to end the season. So, after all it ended up ok the way it all went down, lol.

Grimalkin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randy Moss would have been a poor fit, and the Pack are MUCH better off never having him on the team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
what Farve fans are saying about that article

Moss should have been a Packer and teaming with Favre, but Teddy was too cheap. He only offered a fifth, and New England eventually swooped in draft weekend and got him for a fourth.

If Teddy had offered a 3rd or 4th in the weeks leading up to the draft, he probably could have easily gotten Moss whether the deal was one or two years. I said at the time that a third or fourth was well worth it for Moss even if it was just one year. God forbid, Teddy make one roster move that was more short term instead of long term. The Packers won the Super Bowl with some short term guys like Keith Jackson and Andre Rison. Imagine Moss, Driver, and Jennings together during that magical 2007 year? Probably another Super Bowl ring right there

From the get go the person that posted that ^^^^ doesnt even pay attention to Andrews words

We were offering a fifth-round pick and the Patriots later came up with a fourth. That, however, was the not the key to the deal.

This is the key to Brett wanting out of GB if you ask me

My constant message that our method of drafting and developing talent rather than acquiring proven commodities only served to infuriate him and his resentment of a general manager that showed him none of the compassion and welcomed input of previous regimes.

He resented Ted because Ted didnt back down to Bretts demands

but to hear the fans twisting it now, it only was Ted was to cheap and he wouldnt bow down to Brett

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brent's in the right place now where he's become head coach and GM.

And you know what? They still suck.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
now the Farve fans are calling Andrew Brantd a LIAR

Oh Boy! IMO Brandt has become a total liar! When he says they would never take money away from Brett to pay another player history proves him wrong!

Wish those people would actually read and not skim

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should have either got Moss or started the Aaron Rodgers era that season. Moss-Driver-Jennings would have been nearly unstoppable with Favre and that defense. Also, us signing Moss would have knocked the Patriots down a peg and prevented that historic offense from being so historic. We would have had a Randy Moss-less Patriots team or a Chargers team we had beaten earlier in the season.

Of course, Favre may have found a way to blow it anyway.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 and we had no idea at the time what kind of attitude Moss would have when he got here. Plus, it's tough to say we would have gone to or win the Super Bowl that year. I mean, ****, we were already pretty damn good, having made it to the NFC Championship game without Moss and all.

Anyway, this proves the Favre camp is a bunch of liars. Ted obviously wanted Moss but wasn't going to be held hostage to get him. Good for Ted.

I still don't get why people still wish we had Favre.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts