1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

why should I feel any different about our defense?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, May 12, 2014.

1. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    I don't trust the defense as it stands, and I don't think we picked the right players to make it better. I expect we'll have another Defense heavy draft next year. IF however I'm proven wrong I will be the first to admit it.

2. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,862
    True. But Rodgers and CM3 did not play up to their $$$ either. Both had down years based on injuries. But that doesn't mean they won't have big years next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,589
    I think Capers has more talent at his disposal going into 2014 than since Collins went down. The DL should be fine (although it´s possible we could need another big body up front), CB is a very deep position with Hayward returning and the safety play should be improved with the selection of Clinton-Dix.

I´m still worried about the talent level at the ILB. That´s why I think Raji´s play will be huge to the defense´s success.

I don´t have any doubt Clinton-Dix will be the best free safety on the team

There´s a difference in not living up to a contract because of an injury compared to playing horrible though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    My 2 cents for next season's defense:

If the Packers are decimated by injuries yet again then a very serious investigation of the problem must be taken up, and by "very serious" I don't mean a study undertaken by the existing GB training and medical staff headed by MM, I mean an outside and expert team of trainers, sports physiologists, medical technicians and medical doctors to determine the reasons. MM's "we're doing a thorough evaluation" line will not cut it if that happens again.

If the Packer defense does not significantly improve, then Capers has to go, period, and so too does the evaluation of defensive players in the draft need to be seen for what it is, a failure, and appropriate action has to be taken.

Hopefully, neither of those scenarios will come to pass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,589
    They´ve already hired a company to study the injuries:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/8936/packers-to-use-tech-firm-to-study-injuries

Absolutely agree with that statement.

6. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Perfect.

And it all came down to a dropped INT that should Hyde should have had. My bet, is that another "GAIN" is Hyde has been on the JUGS machine at least 4 hours per day this offseason.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wist43

wist43 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    Capers has 'kind of' learned how to play the 49ers - in the last 2 games, he has played much more 3-4 than 2-4, and the results have been much, much better. Even though he gave up 13 catches for 208 yds to Boldin, and over 400 yds passing to Kap in the first game - really no excuse for letting one receiver (a fairly pedestrian one at that) beat you over and over again like that; but the playoff game was much better all around.

In the playoff debacle in which Kap ran for 185 yds, and the Niners ran for over 300 in the game - Capers played mostly a 2-4... and the Niners just ate it alive. Capers seems to have learned his lesson a little bit against the Niners, hopefully MM will get in his face and get him to move away from that alignment in general.

Clinton-Dix will hopefully clean up the back end a little bit... just a disaster back there. The breakdowns are legion. Losing Woodson and Collins - wow, what a drop off. The corners are good enough - but they are one-trick ponies in that they are best suited to playing man, and are not good tacklers. Don't know how that can be cleaned up with the personnel we have.

8. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    Man I hope you're right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Boldin was doubled almost the entire second half and ended up open anyway. That wasn't on Capers. Can't triple team a guy.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +337
    Mac and MD were brutal in that game.

11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/128968/packers-defensive-changes-coming-to-light

12. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,589
  13. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +395
    Has anyone forgotten that Aaron Rodgers was out half of last season? Good offense helps defense.

Has anyone forgotten that on the opening game against the niners last year both safeties playing are no longer on the roster?

Has anyone forgotten that we were 5-2 and "ready to roll'. That's after fumbling the game away against Cinncy.

Has anyone forgotten that if Micah Hyde catches that ball we might of won another super Bowl?

Has anyone forgotten that Datone Jones was playing outside linebacker against the Niners in Playoffs?

Has anyone forgotten that Sam Shields went down in first drive against the Niners in Playoffs?

Has anyone forgotten that Jarrett Bush was playing and rushing on pivotal play against the Niners?

Has anyone forgotten that "Claymaker" sucked his thumb to much?

This 2014 Packer defense is as deep as any in the NFL. It's all on Capers now. He has the pieces. No more excuses.

14. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Injuries cant be an excuse for the defense

But if Rodgers goes down then our season is over according to those same people

15. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,589
    There´s no guarantee we would have beaten the Niners if Hyde makes the interception and returns it for a TD as there were still four minutes left on the clock. It´s ridiculous to assume we would have been able to go on the road to eliminate the Panthers and the Seahawks as well as beat the Broncos in the Super Bowl with the banged up defense and the offense not firing on all cylinders.

We added a rookie safety and a 34-year old pass rusher to the 24th ranked defense, don´t know why anyone would think we´re as deep as any other unit in the league.

16. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,589
    Packers went 2-5-1 during the time Rodgers was hurt, I think it´s pretty obvious we can´t win constantly without him.

17. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Well we went basically 2-2-1 with Flynn so we can win without Rodgers as long as we get at least decent play out of the back up. Most teams though wont win "constantly" without their starting QB I think.

18. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,019
  19. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +875
    Brandon used the word "might" in his sentence. That is, the Packer MIGHT have won that game...

Yeah. Totally ridiculous. Just like in 2010.

20. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +875
    I think you missed LT's point.

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,589
    Really great teams can win without their star QB, see 2008 Patriots.

22. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,589
    He said we might win the Super Bowl, he wasn't talking about the game vs. the Niners.

You can't be serious comparing last year's squad (especially the one that lined up in the playoff game vs. the Niners) to rhe 2010 team. :rolleyes:

• Old Old x 1
  23. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,862
    Teams with great back up QB can win without their star QB.

We were caught lacking at the backup QB position last season. We gambled that we could develop some talent behind Rodgers and we got caught short. Between Coleman and Young I am sure TT/MM thought one would emerge and be a viable QB. Had we had Flynn as our backup going into the season, I think we would have not suffered as much.

24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,979
    You did miss my point.

With Rodgers out, most people would expect a let down and not a good season..No real fire MM threads..

Those same people expect the defense to still be as good with Clay and Sam out and maybe one other starter out..Fire Caper threads pop up every where..

25. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +395
    The real point is I will take the ball with 2 mins left with Aaron Rodgers any day. Has anyone heard that he might be in the best shape of his life heading into camp? That alone is exciting.

Can't wait for Seattle.