why should I feel any different about our defense?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calm down? coming from the guy that shakes his head with every post, telling us to calm down? :laugh:

MM, or Dom, or Ted doesnt look here, so you arent changing anyones mind on anything at all..Being negative here really does one thing...Makes you look bitter and you are never happy...

I knew someone that was always negative in his job..We joked if we gave him a 100$ bill he would complain it wasnt new enough..

Who cares what MM says? A lot of Packer fans care..

I think you should care what he says...If he were to say, our def was fine last year, you would head up the lynch mob to hang him.

#1) Do you think he is happy/satisfied with how the def has played last few years? I dont think he is/was

#2) So if that is true, why shouldnt we believe him when he says the def will be better..He is he head coach and his livelihood depends on his team succeeding...

When he said the running game would be better in 2013, didnt you have the feeling he meant it? That is how I feel bout him saying the def will be better in 2014

The Defense will be better...you're right. No games needed to be played, no nothing. MM said so, so who am I to doubt what the HC says? My apologies.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Defense will be better...you're right. No games needed to be played, no nothing. MM said so, so who am I to doubt what the HC says? My apologies.

One thing that is almost guaranteed is that the defense will be better. At least marginally. I don't believe this because of what MM says or because of how "experts" rank our draft. I believe this basically just because Matthews has 2 hands again , Aaron Rodgers will be keeping the defense rested more, and MD Jennings is a bear. Those three things alone literally HAVE to improve our defense from the majority of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I really think that without veteran "big body" run stuffers and the lack of decent ILB help, our run defense will suffer the worst. With hayward healthy and the addition of clinton-dix our pass defense "should" improve. I can assume that if CM3 can muster up and finally stay healthy that him and peppers should provide an even more potent pass rush. I think that we will fall in the middle of defense rankings this year, ranked between 13th - 17th.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been sold on this D in some time. Not even the SB year where we were much better than we are now but everything tends to shine a little brighter when the team wins the SB. It's easy to overlook flaws.

It's going to sound odd but I think Peppers is going to make a huge difference. What this D is lacking is leadership. There has been a hole in our D since Woodson left. I'm not speaking of Woodson's play on the field as in latter years that declined. I am speaking of the leadership role he played, one that yet to be filled. I think Peppers could provide that leadership. I'm also not saying the only thing this D is missing is leadership. We seemed to grow stronger at CB and maybe even secondary but grew weaker at LB. I'm putting a lot of my faith into Peppers to take over the reins and fulfill the role Woodson once fulfilled.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree with Kitten here. To me, the guy that just might make the difference is Peppers. Some are writing him off as being too old, but I have a feeling that's not the case. Coming to GB may give Peppers his second wind, and this being probably his last chance to make it to the SB in his NFL career, Peppers may become the leader on defense we've been looking for.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really think that without veteran "big body" run stuffers and the lack of decent ILB help, our run defense will suffer the worst. With hayward healthy and the addition of clinton-dix our pass defense "should" improve. I can assume that if CM3 can muster up and finally stay healthy that him and peppers should provide an even more potent pass rush. I think that we will fall in the middle of defense rankings this year, ranked between 13th - 17th.

I think we have enough big guys on the roster to be able to stop the run. The lack of talent at ILB could come back and bite us though.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody sell me on this defense. Besides having everyone healthy what's going to make this defense formidable so the offense doesn't have to score a ton of points to win? I loved the addition of Peppers and I hope they don't screw with his production by trying to make him play outside lb. That experiment hasnt worked here.

I preferred Ward over Haha but what can we expect from him? As a rook? Who's going to start in the middle withAj Hawk? How about the starter at LOLB? Telling me it'll be a Perry/Neal combo will just depress me.

I'll answer your question of 'why should I feel any different about this defense?' it's real simple WE GOT WORSE! We now have another safety who can't support the run against a good running game. We have a DT that is undersized and to my way of thinking probably should be a 3-4 DE not a tackle. We've still got holes at 3 of the 4 linebacker positions. Really the only place we're good is at corner.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll answer your question of 'why should I feel any different about this defense?' it's real simple WE GOT WORSE! We now have another safety who can't support the run against a good running game. We have a DT that is undersized and to my way of thinking probably should be a 3-4 DE not a tackle. We've still got holes at 3 of the 4 linebacker positions. Really the only place we're good is at corner.

Clinton-Dix is capable of supporting in run defense although it won´t be his primary assignment, Burnett or Hyde should be fine vs. the run. Not sure who you´re talking about being too small to play NT, but Raji, who´s the starter at the position at the moment, is 337 pounds and easily big enough to line up there.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Collins, Woodson, Jenkins, and Bishop has been devastating.

To be sure, going into the 2011 season we couldn't have known that we'd be losing the DB's and Bishop; but we knew Jenkins and Greene were going to be gone - and TT did nothing to help the defense in that draft. That was certainly a contributing factor to our defense falling hard off the cliff.

Then in 2012, TT began chasing defenders in earnest in the draft - but true to how TT operates, he didn't target players that fit the scheme. Now 3 years in a row of drafts, counting Thorton, TT hasn't drafted anyone that really fits a 3-4. D. Jones can fit at 5T, but I think that's kind of waste of his talents. Boyd and Thorton could play 5T too... but of course we run so little 3-4, that they're going to be standing on the sideline most of the time anyway.

That said, I like the players - I like almost all of them. So if we have good players - besides the 2 ILB's who are the very definition of pedestrian - it is incumbent upon Capers to devise a scheme to fit the players, not try to misfit the players to what he wants to play.

So if MM is guaranteeing the D will be better - that would mean that he has to force Capers to use the players differently, i.e. use them to their strengths, and I simply don't see that happening. I don't expect Capers to change at all.

I think we'll be a little better - with Clinton-Dix in there, and another year of maturity from the young guys, but we'll always be a Capers brain-fart gameplan away from disaster.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that burnett could've made the move to FS and Buchanen would've been a better pick than Dix. He can hit and cover but I'm not the GM. Our run defense was trash because our lb's and safeties missed to many tackles and our line couldn't get off blocks especially Raji. But now he's in the middle? I have a guy I go to church with named Frank who's 6'6 330 lbs who can do the same thing Raji did....and for free.heck he's got long arms so he may even swat down some passes! I'm 6'2 200 lbs and I'll do what Burnett did for about 500k a year but at least i won't miss so many tackles. That should save us enough money to find a thumper in the middle who can run.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that burnett could've made the move to FS and Buchanen would've been a better pick than Dix. He can hit and cover but I'm not the GM. Our run defense was trash because our lb's and safeties missed to many tackles and our line couldn't get off blocks especially Raji. But now he's in the middle? I have a guy I go to church with named Frank who's 6'6 330 lbs who can do the same thing Raji did....and for free.heck he's got long arms so he may even swat down some passes! I'm 6'2 200 lbs and I'll do what Burnett did for about 500k a year but at least i won't miss so many tackles. That should save us enough money to find a thumper in the middle who can run.
You see Burnett playing centerfield last season? That would be a mistake. I could see our starting safeties being Richardson at strong and Dix at free. That is if Richardson has worked on coverage. I could see Burnett being released this season actually. And yes I know about the dead money.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Hopefully the defense will play better. Now that the team has some draft picks. That they so desparately needed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Predictably laughable. Clinton-Dix isn't better than MD Jennings and McMillian? Oh, and you forgot to bash the acquisition of Peppers. I'm sure somehow you'll figure he's worse than CJ Wilson. :rolleyes:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predictably laughable. Clinton-Dix isn't better than MD Jennings and McMillian? Oh, and you forgot to bash the acquisition of Peppers. I'm sure somehow you'll figure he's worse than CJ Wilson. :rolleyes:

I wasn't even sure where to start after I saw that post so I just let it go.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree with Kitten here. To me, the guy that just might make the difference is Peppers. Some are writing him off as being too old, but I have a feeling that's not the case. Coming to GB may give Peppers his second wind, and this being probably his last chance to make it to the SB in his NFL career, Peppers may become the leader on defense we've been looking for.

Julius Peppers was on the field for over 800 snaps last year with the Bears. I'm guessing we will have
him on the field for around 450 - 500 and that should keep him more productive and effective. I also
think he will be a difference maker and moving Raji to NT should help with the run defense. I think
if the secondary can reduce the number of missed assignments we should be a top 12 defense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward healthy will make this defense much better.

Raji I've written off so any improvement will be a bonus.

D Frank

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all Peppers will be used in a variety of ways — he'll rush from an end spot when the Packers are in base defense, slide inside in nickel, and he can play up as a 6-foot-7 linebacker, rerouting tight ends off the line, covering in short areas or rushing the passer. He is going to play what Willie McGinest played at New England known by some as the elephant position. Some people might say Peppers is to old for this transition. I point people to John Abraham who at 36 switched to a similar role for The Cards and ended up going back to the pro bowl last year. Peppers is cut from the correct cloth for this position and I expect huge dividends.

Clay Matthews for the first time will have a similar presence now rushing from the other side which means he will get more one on one match ups. You now have two potential "hall of famer's" rushing from both sides. That alone is going to make the defense better.

The defensive line is getting deep and loaded with 1-3 round talent with players that should be taking the next step in development. It is also getting a little faster. Raji is going back to where he was last productive at NT. Capers will be able to rotate multiple fronts which should make a big difference and help production. Especially late in games and on passing downs.

Ha Ha Clinton Dix I expect to have some struggles from time to time as he develops but overall I see him being a big improvement in the back end and will allow Burnett to go back to SS where he was more productive. Sam Shield is an ascending "cover corner". Traymon is solid at holding his own on the other side as a "boundary corner". Casey Hayward is back in the "slot" and was 3rd in voting as DROY in 2012. Hyde can line up now on TE's and replace a middle linebacker on passing downs.

Hawk, as much I would like to see an upgrade there had maybe his best season last year and I think he can give us one more. If he plays as well as he did last year he'll do. The other linebacker spot is the big X factor. Right now it's hard to predict what will really happen but I have to believe they have some ideas that don't include Brad Jones. At least I hope so. Time will tell. Nick Perry needs to stay healthy and get better otherwise there is now another option with Carl Bradford who before it's all said and done I believe will find his way on the field.

Overall I see added talent and depth which creates more versatility for Capers and the defense. With all the new components I see a much better pass rush and a more stable back end. Remember this, We played a hot San Francisco offense in the playoffs with a banged up Packer defense and held them to 23 points. With all that we were only one play from winning that game.
I agree kompletely... Our defense will be one of the better units we've had here since Capers kame to town.. And that's saying a lot.. We've struggled on defense only because of injuries to starters, and the lack of experience behind them in the players who took their place.. Now we had a positive draft with potential playmakers and the best thing that a great team kan have in the offseason and training kamp...,,,, COMPETITION

D

Deleted member 6794

We drafted Thornton a DT, I figured he'd get reps at NT

I don´t expect him to get a lot of snaps this season at all, but he´s too small to play at NT.

Losing Collins, Woodson, Jenkins, and Bishop has been devastating.

To be sure, going into the 2011 season we couldn't have known that we'd be losing the DB's and Bishop; but we knew Jenkins and Greene were going to be gone - and TT did nothing to help the defense in that draft. That was certainly a contributing factor to our defense falling hard off the cliff.

Then in 2012, TT began chasing defenders in earnest in the draft - but true to how TT operates, he didn't target players that fit the scheme. Now 3 years in a row of drafts, counting Thorton, TT hasn't drafted anyone that really fits a 3-4. D. Jones can fit at 5T, but I think that's kind of waste of his talents. Boyd and Thorton could play 5T too... but of course we run so little 3-4, that they're going to be standing on the sideline most of the time anyway.

That said, I like the players - I like almost all of them. So if we have good players - besides the 2 ILB's who are the very definition of pedestrian - it is incumbent upon Capers to devise a scheme to fit the players, not try to misfit the players to what he wants to play.

So if MM is guaranteeing the D will be better - that would mean that he has to force Capers to use the players differently, i.e. use them to their strengths, and I simply don't see that happening. I don't expect Capers to change at all.

I think we'll be a little better - with Clinton-Dix in there, and another year of maturity from the young guys, but we'll always be a Capers brain-fart gameplan away from disaster.

Capers has run the same defensive scheme for his entire career, he won´t change it entirely at this point in his career. So I think as Thompson and McCarthy have held on to him it is their responsibility to bring in players that fit the scheme. That obviously hasn´t happened enough over the last three seasons.

The solution to that should be either to bring in a new DC who´s capable of working with the guys on the roster or the GM bringing in players capable of playing in Capers scheme. IMO both Thompson and Capers are to blame for the defense´s shortcomings.

There´s no way Burnett should play at FS, so Clinton-Dix was the right choice. Raji played his best football playing at NT, so there´s hope he can once again be the impact player he was in 2010. But I´m concerned as well that he could just continue to be the lazy bastard he was last season.

You see Burnett playing centerfield last season? That would be a mistake. I could see our starting safeties being Richardson at strong and Dix at free. That is if Richardson has worked on coverage. I could see Burnett being released this season actually. And yes I know about the dead money.

Burnett should be fine and our best option at SS with a solid guy at FS.

I think if the secondary can reduce the number of missed assignments we should be a top 12 defense.

I hope that´s where Clinton-Dix will have the most impact. He has made the defensive calls for the Crimson Tide over the past two seasons in a pro-style defense. I´m really tired of all those miscommunications in the secondary.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree kompletely... Our defense will be one of the better units we've had here since Capers kame to town.. And that's saying a lot.. We've struggled on defense only because of injuries to starters, and the lack of experience behind them in the players who took their place.. Now we had a positive draft with potential playmakers and the best thing that a great team kan have in the offseason and training kamp...,,,, COMPETITION

Don't you mean "KOMPETITION?"
Sorry, couldn't resist. (Refer to kompletely and kame) ;)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been sold on this D in some time. Not even the SB year where we were much better than we are now but everything tends to shine a little brighter when the team wins the SB. It's easy to overlook flaws.

It's going to sound odd but I think Peppers is going to make a huge difference. What this D is lacking is leadership. There has been a hole in our D since Woodson left. I'm not speaking of Woodson's play on the field as in latter years that declined. I am speaking of the leadership role he played, one that yet to be filled. I think Peppers could provide that leadership. I'm also not saying the only thing this D is missing is leadership. We seemed to grow stronger at CB and maybe even secondary but grew weaker at LB. I'm putting a lot of my faith into Peppers to take over the reins and fulfill the role Woodson once fulfilled.

Ummmm Kitten in the Super Bowl year we had the 2nd ranked scoring defense in the league. In the final game that Defense made a number of key plays and held on even when that already decimated unit lost 2 of its top 3 cornerbacks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts