Who you picking? Savage or Nixon...

One year deal is announced for $5M...between these two guys..who you picking?

• Savage

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Nixon

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to provide zero reasonings or stats to back up either at this point.....have had so many conversations about this or similar figured I'd post this poll as I'm curious how this group of fans think.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Too much for both, but I'd be ok with Nixon getting a 2year/10M deal with 2.5M guaranteed as bonus. I think Nixon has a lot more functional versatility than Savage (who really does nothing well).

mexpo75

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take Nixon because of hat he brings to return game. Before him, it was a long time since we had any return game ay all.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we have enough young guys at WR that could be effective returners if Nixon was gone.

Although I am not a Savage fan, he is extremely athletic. Normally I would say that his body of work (or lack thereof) dictates that we should let him go. However, I am interested to see if the new DC can resurrect his career. Savage still has tread on the tires and could be lethal with the right coaching. Green Bay just may not be the right team for him, but Hafley could change that equation.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we have enough young guys at WR that could be effective returners if Nixon was gone.

Although I am not a Savage fan, he is extremely athletic. Normally I would say that his body of work (or lack thereof) dictates that we should let him go. However, I am interested to see if the new DC can resurrect his career. Savage still has tread on the tires and could be lethal with the right coaching. Green Bay just may not be the right team for him, but Hafley could change that equation.
Yes, that's my problem too. Savage at times plays well. Don't know if he can put it all together. I like Nixon but I'm not sure if he can get better on D. I would not keep him just to return. A lot will depend on who we pick in the draft and who we get in free agency. It's a tough question for me.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked Nixon because I thought Savage really looked bad at times and I wouldn't expect that from a first round pick in his 5th year. Now, will he do better under Hafley? Probably. You really need to have been there with Savage and Barry to know. I am all for be bringing him back and seeing how he does in the new system. $5m is worth it to see IMHO.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety spot cannot be manned by all rookies. There are other available options at this pt. If he is cheap and affordable bring him in on a year contract and cut him if he is outshined in camp. Nixon could play safety 2 so who knows. Either or both. If I had to pick I would say Nixon and try him at safety.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy with Hafley's background as a DB coach, should be able to watch film of the two and figure out the keeper. Are Savage's problems related to being utilized in the wrong scheme, repeated mental lapses unacceptable for a 5th yr starter, or technique issues that could be corrected.

The same goes for Nixon. Is there something holding him back or has he already reached his ceiling? It shouldn't be hard for Hafley to watch tape and talk with the remaining coaches/GM to assess whom to keep.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy with Hafley's background as a DB coach, should be able to watch film of the two and figure out the keeper. Are Savage's problems related to being utilized in the wrong scheme, repeated mental lapses unacceptable for a 5th yr starter, or technique issues that could be corrected.

The same goes for Nixon. Is there something holding him back or has he already reached his ceiling? It shouldn't be hard for Hafley to watch tape and talk with the remaining coaches/GM to assess whom to keep.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine they will bring in 1 or 2 mid level free agents..probably keep Owens, hope Johnson develops and draft a guy high. Wouldn't it cost alot to re-sign Savage after his contract voided? Wouldn't they essentially be paying him twice? Remaining money on voided contract plus new contract?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine they will bring in 1 or 2 mid level free agents..probably keep Owens, hope Johnson develops and draft a guy high. Wouldn't it cost alot to re-sign Savage after his contract voided? Wouldn't they essentially be paying him twice? Remaining money on voided contract plus new contract?

Cost to resign him doesn't change...voided year's in essence hit like dead money. You sign Savage to a on year $5M deal now or two weeks back, that deal is still $5M of a hit and you have the player.

His dead voided hit remains.

The reason why the deadline for void, is you could have entered an extension which reworked or added a year or so and restructured that existing void year hit to a degree...but it is still hitting at some point.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much is his dead voided hit? Does that go away if they resign him?

Void years hit just like dead money, it is going to hit regardless of whether you sign the person or not - if they'd extended there is some shifting which can occur BUT that hit is locked in regardless.

His void hit on the 2024 cap is just shy of $5.5M

FTR Yosh's voided hit to the 24' cap is right around $2.5M too

If we look into 2025....Clark has a void hit of $13.7M / Jones a 2.46M / Love has a 5.2

Love is a perfect example....they'll extend him and that 5.2 will just be part of the hits calculated in his new contract - doesn't go away.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Void years hit just like dead money, it is going to hit regardless of whether you sign the person or not
It's a great example of a 'sunk cost.' The cost has already been incurred and does not change no matter what your decision is moving forward, so you essentially remove it from your decision-making process moving forward.

Reaction score
I’d take Savage at $5mil if I had to pick one. Just from the standpoint it’s hard to find a starting caliber Safety at $5Mil per. That would be overpaying Nixon just imo.
Although I’d give a different answer if the money is at market level for both. Then I’d keep Nixon

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage is just ok IMO. I'd rather keep Nixon and draft or sign a FA safety with more upside. It sounds like we'll need single high safety a lot. I'm not sure that Savage is that guy.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer keeping Nixon over Savage due to last year's Pro Bowl year as returner from Nixon.

I am also interested in seeing how Hafley would deploy Nixon in his defensive scheme...

Savage's reluctance to tackle and inefficiency in doing so has to assure his exit...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Savage's reluctance to tackle and inefficiency in doing so has to assure his exit...
One thing to consider when evaluating Savage is that he's actually a slot corner who has been forced to play safety against his will. Since it's clear that everyone is trying to choose the lesser of two evils here, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hafley put Savage back to where he belongs as CB.

Who could argue against a Herb Adderley type of position switch if it works, but once the failure becomes evident, I blame the coaches for continuing to pound the square peg into the round hole.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picking Savage or Nixon depends on whether Gute goes after an established safety in free agency. I just don't see Savage coming back if Gute signs a FA safety like Xavier McKinney. If he strikes out in FA, then Savage may be coming back. Otherwise, resigning Nixon at a cheap deal and a FA safety is a likely option.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing to consider when evaluating Savage is that he's actually a slot corner who has been forced to play safety against his will. Since it's clear that everyone is trying to choose the lesser of two evils here, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hafley put Savage back to where he belongs as CB.

Who could argue against a Herb Adderley type of position switch if it works, but once the failure becomes evident, I blame the coaches for continuing to pound the square peg into the round hole.

This is assuming there is a compromise as far as contracts are concerned.

If Savage returns and doesn't negatively affect the potential to improve the secondary, then I'm all for it.

However, Savage could get more money and more years from another team while still young.

Coming back to the team with a lesser role and playing a different position could doom his career if the transition isn't successful.

I think Green Bay moves on and Savage lands somewhere else for a fresh start.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair I like Nixon, but I’d pick Savage. Who would you pick and feels is better roster call in the scenario.
I'd pick Nixon because he could do double duty as backup slot corner and backup safety (at least what I'd have him working on) as well as return man and I think he could even be a gunner. I can't think of one thing or one position that Savage can do consistently.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd pick Nixon because he could do double duty as backup slot corner and backup safety (at least what I'd have him working on) as well as return man and I think he could even be a gunner. I can't think of one thing or one position that Savage can do consistently.
As I said at the top of the page, Nixon is not a $5m/yr player. He'd be overpaid about 50% in the scenario though I'd rather have him back. I expect DS to get a lot more than $5m per so to get him for that, just for his experience (journeyman vet backup 1 yr prove it), would be acceptable.

Members online

Latest posts