Who stays, who goes?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The crazy scenario is say he plays MVP worthy again, at that point the organization IMO has to force themselves to do one of two VERY uncomfortable things: trade Love for arguably like what a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder or so - low price for someone needing a QB that doesn't need to possibly spend a 1st or a 2nd for a guy many considered that level.....OR.....we literally cut a HoFer and one coming off an MVP or MVP worthy season for the 2nd straight season.

I am very happy that is not the decision for this year.
Nor next.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stay: Linsley, Williams, Adams, MVS, Tonyon, tugboat, Amos, Sullivan

Go: Lancaster, Lowry, A Jones, Kirksey, Wagner, Scott, King, Preston, EQ, Burks, Redmond

I'm incredibly confused...Adams and Amos on your stay list don't have expired contracts and especially Adams isn't up for debate.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt that Rodgers thinks the way you do. I’m basing this on your past posts.
Big decisions have big consequences! Highly doubt AR is going to forget Lafleur taking the ball out of his hands in a situation with a championship on the line. As competitive as AR is, it has to bother him tremendously. Will he force a trade? One stupid call may not do it but 10 years of frustration could finally tip the scales in that direction.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 seasons worth of what has been by all accounts "great chemistry" and he's going to throw in the towel based on a coaching "mistake" (still not convinced it was the wrong move)? It's not like they had a heated argument about it and MLF ripped the ball out of his hands. I think we also need a little perspective and remember that despite his success, MLF is still only in his second season as a head coach. I don't blame AR for being raw and upset with the call, but I think it's absurd for one play call to be the straw that breaks the camels back after a season of kumbaya by all accounts. It'd be different if AR was disgruntled by play calls all season long, but that's not the case.
Big decisions have big consequences. AR knows this was his best chance for another ring and Lafleur took the ball out of his hands. AR isn't the type to throw a fit but it has to bother him tremendously.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big decisions have big consequences. AR knows this was his best chance for another ring and Lafleur took the ball out of his hands. AR isn't the type to throw a fit but it has to bother him tremendously.
Actually next year is his best chance for another SB.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumor out there is AR wants a new contract. I'm guessing this is his way of "forcing" a trade, knowing the GB is $28Mil over the cap, already. Indy & NE have $50Mil + cap space and teams ready to "win now" and both are in the AFC. If AR really is done in GB I could see those 2 teams as trade partners. This would create $31.5Mil dead money on the cap but also offer $5.5Mil cap savings.

That would still leave GB $23Mil over the cap, and logical cap savings could be cutting:
Preston Smith - $8Mil dead cap, $8Mil cap savings
Adrian Amos - $6Mil dead cap, $4.3Mil cap savings
Dean Lowry - $3Mil dead cap, $3.3Mil cap savings
Rick Wagner - $1.75Mil dead cap, $4.25Mil cap savings
Christian Kirksey - $2Mil dead cap, $5.6Mil cap savings
Possibly Mason Crosby - $2Mil dead cap, $2.5Mil cap savings

This would be dynamiting the roster but without AR I would expect some dark years ahead, anyway. Draft and develop with whatever leadership is left in the locker room.

Gone: Linsley, A. Jones, J. Williams, Lewis, King, Austin, Ervin, Harrison, Winn, Funchess.
Keep (if cheap): Lancaster, Redmond, Sullivan, Lazard, Tonyan, Greene & Nijman

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Restructure/Extension: Davante Adams, David Bakhtiari, Aaron Rodgers, Preston Smith, Zadarius Smith

Re-Sign: Allen Lazard, Chandon Sullivan, Robert Tonyan, Jamaal Williams

Released/Walked: Oren Burks, Raven Greene, Josh Jackson, Aaron Jones, Kevin King, Christian Kirksey, Corey Linsley, Dean Lowry, Lane Taylor

Undecided: Marcedes Lewis

Notables:
Maybe Cut: EQSB, Funchess, Williams

Just for the record, Jamaal Williams is a free agent as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rumor out there is AR wants a new contract. I'm guessing this is his way of "forcing" a trade, knowing the GB is $28Mil over the cap, already.

The Packers could actually benefit by restructuring Rodgers' contract, creating more than $17 million of cap space. He definitely wants Gutekunst to improve the roster for next season to agree to it though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Restructure/Extension: Davante Adams, David Bakhtiari, Aaron Rodgers, Preston Smith, Zadarius Smith

Re-Sign: Allen Lazard, Chandon Sullivan, Robert Tonyan, Jamaal Williams

Released/Walked: Oren Burks, Raven Greene, Josh Jackson, Aaron Jones, Kevin King, Christian Kirksey, Corey Linsley, Dean Lowry, Lane Taylor

Undecided: Marcedes Lewis

Just for the record, Jamaal Williams is a free agent as well.

I knew that, I'm trying to go back and figure out whom I meant there or if it was a typo, Williams of course is not a cut candidate.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could actually benefit by restructuring Rodgers' contract, creating more than $17 million of cap space. He definitely wants Gutekunst to improve the roster for next season to agree to it though.
AR is supposedly 5th highest paid QB right now behind Mahomes, Watson, Wilson & Roethlisberger. I'm guessing they'd need to extend AR another 2 years (thru 2025) at $75Mil (minimum) to move him ahead of Wilson & Ben, possibly even $85Mil to jump Watson. Have no idea how to structure that to free-up $$ for 2021 but would handcuff GB thru 2025, also.

AR wants to win... is that even possible in GB or has the window slammed shut?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two straight campaigns going 13-3...yup they suck, worst team in the league and door is shut and sealed....smh
My point was expensive to re-sign: A. Jones & C. Linsley, with AR possibly wanting a raise or trade in addition to $28Mil + cap-hell... how likely is it that this team will be better, or even as good as the 2020 team?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If true and Rodgers wants a new contract, I see this as a good thing. More money for him, more cap space in the short term for us, a renewed faith in him from our FO keeps him happy and puts pressure on the FO to improve the team around him.

OP
OP
H

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be it, but I didn't equate next to best (or the implied better than this year, which was the year the poster was replying to).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That might be it, but I didn't equate next to best (or the implied better than this year, which was the year the poster was replying to).
he has no chance to play in this years super bowl :) I think he was having fun with it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was expensive to re-sign: A. Jones & C. Linsley, with AR possibly wanting a raise or trade in addition to $28Mil + cap-hell... how likely is it that this team will be better, or even as good as the 2020 team?

All this would do is move the timeline of Gute's biggest decision in his role from the 2021 offseason to this offseason; forced by Rodgers.

Rodgers play had been descending until MLF came in her, Gute and Co. saw a guy in Love they had rated clearly as a TOP 10 or TOP 15 talent and possibly as their QB2...when he fell they decided there may never be a QB drop like that they have rated as high given we are a contender nearly every year. That was with the assumption given contract structures of Rodgers they had two years to really know the trajectory and direction we may be heading....setting up a MASSIVE 2021 offseason decision as I've described.

Rodgers wanting a contract extension, I see as two things:

- He is 100% forcing essentially the team to decide like Favre and his shenanigans did way back when; Me or the kid, what is the future. Rodgers however while smug approach is doing it in a much cleaner way than Favre and his wishy washy handlings.

- He is also IMO telling Gute and Co. I still desire to do my swan song here and be that rarity anymore of a QB that sees his entire career go through one team - Manning didn't do it, Brady didn't do it numerous others..even Brees but in reverse :D

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The crazy scenario is say he plays MVP worthy again, at that point the organization IMO has to force themselves to do one of two VERY uncomfortable things: trade Love for arguably like what a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder or so - low price for someone needing a QB that doesn't need to possibly spend a 1st or a 2nd for a guy many considered that level.....OR.....we literally cut a HoFer and one coming off an MVP or MVP worthy season for the 2nd straight season.

I am very happy that is not the decision for this year.
Could trade Rodgers during the draft?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers put some answers out there on Pat Mcafee. He said he doesn’t think there’s any reason why he wouldn’t be back.

Members online

Latest posts