Who stays, who goes?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading the various forums yesterday, it appears, at least from a fan perspective, that some of the possible moves for next season were firmed up or negated. Again, from what I read:

MVS sticks
King is definitely gone, unless he gets no offers, and even then...
Aaron Jones definitely took a hit, and if it always was him or Linsley, maybe we keep the center?
I've seen a lot about Rodgers maybe not being here, but I can't get beyond the cap hit

What's the thinking on the effect of yesterday's debacle on personnel decisions?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My top 3 to retain would be Linsley, Williams and Tonyan. I'd let King walk, and Jones too. Id love to keep AJ but we cant afford him. Then I'd try to retain Lazard, Ervin, Adams and Greene. Everyone else is pretty much expendable imo.

Also, in no way do I support trading/cutting Arod. Here is to hoping we can motivate him to play for GB for the remainder of his contract

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: As definitively as LeFluer put it, Rodgers will be here in 2021. However, I think that it may finally be his last.
WR: MVS sticks but they need to draft another WR. MVS is a great #3. Lazard needs to make the jump to a solid #2 but we still need more competition.
RB: Jones is gone. He is great but we can survive with Williams and Dillon. In a cap-free world, we would obviously keep Aaron Jones but that is not reality.
OL: Try to keep Linsley, but if not we have guys that can play center. Lane Taylor will be back in 2021 and our interior is solid - Elgton Jenkins, Lucas Patrick, Billy Turner, Lane Taylor (maybe Linsley). We need to draft/find another RT.
TE: Roll with what we got. Tonyun is an emerging talent and Lewis is worth another year. Sternberger and Deguara will duke it out in training camp for the third spot.

I'll think about defense some more, but King should only come back on a veteran minimum contract...otherwise we would be overpaying.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Reading the various forums yesterday, it appears, at least from a fan perspective, that some of the possible moves for next season were firmed up or negated. Again, from what I read:

MVS sticks
$2m+ cap hit. I'd turn that to a bonus and extend him 3-4 years with $15m new money. Not mentioned but similar numbers for Tonyan.
Aaron Jones definitely took a hit, and if it always was him or Linsley, maybe we keep the center?
agree
I've seen a lot about Rodgers maybe not being here, but I can't get beyond the cap hit
$30m dead cap still saves $5m.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stay - Lindsley, William's, Tonyan

Gone - King, Jones
Questionable- AR could threaten to retire to force a trade to a team like the Niners and then renegotiate his contract to lessen the cap hit once he's with his new team. Lafleur opened his mouth yesterday without thinking about all of AR's options. AR isn't an automatic for next season.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stay: Tonyan, Linsley. The others can test the market.
Go: King, Jones (sorry to see him go), maybe try to trade Preston Smith and give Gary that spot to free up cash. If that's possible. Draft CB, WR, Oline.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team is gonna be very different... and by different I mean probably worse next year. I think that's what makes the Championship game so tough compared to 2014. At least we knew we had years left with Rodgers and a solid foundation... this team is about to be gutted and Rodgers/MLF gonna have to work some heavy magic to make another run

Stay - Linsey, Williams, Tonyan, if we can try and keep MVS and Lazard do it

Bust - Kevin King (should have always been TJ Watt...)

Sad to see go - Aaron Jones. MM really wasted this man in first few years here

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gone
-Jones. he's explosive but I think we can weather his loss by upgrading other areas that need upgrading.
-Kirksey
-King
-Mercedes Lewis

Likely gone depending on other moves
-Linsley
-Preston

Keep if cheap
-Montravious

Keep
Tonyan
Lazard
Sullivan
Lancaster

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of MVS, he's not a FA is he? I think it's a done deal he's here. There are at least 3 other WR spots that are going to be upgraded before they'd think about releasing him.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of MVS, he's not a FA is he? I think it's a done deal he's here. There are at least 3 other WR spots that are going to be upgraded before they'd think about releasing him.

I think he's got another year, so MVS stays.

OP
OP
H

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess there's no harm in a thread with the overall topic of personnel changes, but what I was hoping for was more of a "based on yesterday's performance..." evaluation. I put MVS in there, not because he's a FA but because there was much talk about cutting him. Because of the cap situation, there were opinions that it was either Jones or Linsley. King was pretty much a negative most of the way, and I figure yesterday cemented that. Of course, there are a couple of coaching choices that may have been decided, too. Anyhow, any personnel choices are fine, but, again, I meant just based on the NFCCG.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Gone
-Jones. he's explosive but I think we can weather his loss by upgrading other areas that need upgrading.
-Kirksey
-King
-Mercedes Lewis

Likely gone depending on other moves
-Linsley
-Preston

Keep if cheap
-Montravious

Keep
Tonyan
Lazard
Sullivan
Lancaster

I think that's a decent list.
With the 2021 cap being a consideration and their relative value to the team (is their a cheaper option) I think the following could also be gone

Wagner
Adrian Amos
Mason Crosby

I also think Funchess could be gone without ever playing a single down.

This team is gonna be very different... and by different I mean probably worse next year. I think that's what makes the Championship game so tough compared to 2014. At least we knew we had years left with Rodgers and a solid foundation... this team is about to be gutted and Rodgers/MLF gonna have to work some heavy magic to make another run

The 2020 and 2019 teams are basically the same as their was very little contribution from the rookie class and no real splashes in free agency. I don't think the Packers have any room for FA acquisitions in 2021 and will be highly reliant on the draft and UFAs to fill the roster after cutting veterans to make cap room. A less experienced & younger team in 2021.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'd be real ****** for AR to leave based on the outcome of this game. He's been preaching nothing but team chemistry and improved perspective all year long and now he's going to peace out because of one loss and an iffy decision by MLF (one I'm not convinced was the wrong move)? It's not like he holds zero blame for the loss yesterday. I'm fine with him having some demands going into next season (maybe in regards to the draft) but i'll be disappointed in him if he outright leaves. At least Brett was pretty much forced out.

OP
OP
H

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the 2021 cap being a consideration and their relative value to the team (is their a cheaper option) I think the following could also be gone

Wagner
Adrian Amos
Mason Crosby

The 2020 and 2019 teams are basically the same as their was very little contribution from the rookie class and no real splashes in free agency. I don't think the Packers have any room for FA acquisitions in 2021 and will be highly reliant on the draft and UFAs to fill the roster after cutting veterans to make cap room. A less experienced & younger team in 2021.

Weren't there a couple of pretty impressive FA signings in 2019?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wagner
Adrian Amos
Mason Crosby

I don't think Amos is going anywhere.

I thought about putting Wagner or turner on there, but we have no tackles if both go for next year. and while they cost money, as far as halfway serviceable olineman go, unless we hit on draft picks, they're not that expensive.

So I ended up not putting them on there, or One of them anyway. If Bakhtiari was healthy, i think the odds go up one of them is let go, but for now I think both have a place.

For special teams i'd think Scott is in more danger than Crosby unless he falls off a cliff in the offseason.

Bobby Ward

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MVS sticks

What's the thinking on the effect of yesterday's debacle on personnel decisions?
The first change that needs to be made is firing Mark Murphy and Brian Gutekunst. They are either unwilling or incapable of putting quality pieces in place around the solid nucleus of Rogers and others.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it'd be real ****** for AR to leave based on the outcome of this game. He's been preaching nothing but team chemistry and improved perspective all year long and now he's going to peace out because of one loss and an iffy decision by MLF (one I'm not convinced was the wrong move)? It's not like he holds zero blame for the loss yesterday. I'm fine with him having some demands going into next season (maybe in regards to the draft) but i'll be disappointed in him if he outright leaves. At least Brett was pretty much forced out.
I would think that AR probably lost confidence in LaFleur yesterday after he took the ball out of his hands with 2 minutes left. It's kind of like a kicker missing a 27 yard fg to lose a playoff game. Can't imagine that fateful decision will be shrugged off. AR has every reason the force a trade by threatening retirement.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Amos is going anywhere.

I thought about putting Wagner or turner on there, but we have no tackles if both go for next year. and while they cost money, as far as halfway serviceable olineman go, unless we hit on draft picks, they're not that expensive.

So I ended up not putting them on there, or One of them anyway. If Bakhtiari was healthy, i think the odds go up one of them is let go, but for now I think both have a place.

For special teams i'd think Scott is in more danger than Crosby unless he falls off a cliff in the offseason.

I think you keep Turner and bounce Wagner. Turner is atleast a versatile player who is probably a better right than left tackle, while Wagner is just bad at this point of his career.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Weren't there a couple of pretty impressive FA signings in 2019?

Those FAs played in both the 2019 and 2020 season. I probably should have stated that there were no big name FAs signed before the 2020 season. My point remains the same - the 2019 and 2020 teams are pretty much the same with regards to starting lineups/contributors.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 nfccg in a row and fire them?

I think Murphy's hand in things is ridiculous and the organization's commitment to Pettine is something that needs to change 3 months ago.

This team will perpetually compete with Rodgers at the helm regardless of who our GM and coach are. Gutey has failed to surround Rodgers with the talent he needs to help him against these tremendous defenses that he keeps meeting in the NFC championship games. We need a world beating offense to beat these guys steadily - like KC - and he provided Rodgers with nothing over last year's talent.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gutey fired, but I'm doubtful anyone has the guts to do so.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

MVS sticks

The Rodgers leaving notion is nuts, beyond him pulling a 180 and forcing a trade. When we moved on from Favre Brett retired, after years of will he or wont he and we had Aaron Rodgers who looked like a legit quarterback during the 07 preseason and during a half+ of football against Dallas. So far Jordan Love has yet to show anything at the NFL level to suggest that he could or should be the guy.

He was drafted in the hopes that he'd turn into our guy, but that he'd likely either fail or just never turn into a plus starter. Picking Love last year gave our FO a chance to evaluate him, a chance to develop him and a chance to hedge our bets if needed. I would expect to see a second or third round quarterback to be selected before Rodgers leaves this franchise.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has bene talked to adnausem for variety of reasons and in variety of locations so my thoughts are nothing new - here is how I see it:

Notables:
Offensive Cuts: Wagner
Offensive Walks: Jones, Linsley, Taylor
Maybe Cut: EQSB, Funchess
Maybe Walks/Retires: Lewis, Williams

Defensive Cuts: Preston, Lowry, Burks, Kirksey
Defensive Walks: King, Sullivan
Maybe Cut: Amos (Doubt this happens)
Maybe Walks/Retires: Redmond OR Greene,

STs: Believe Crosby stays as long as Rodgers does, we bring in UDFA to compete with JK and Bradley stays at long snapper.

IF the cap hits 185M or 190M like some hope, I could see Linsley perhaps being the one guy they try to not let walk....but perhaps that would save a guy like Wagner or Lowry or Kirksey one more year.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The first change that needs to be made is firing Mark Murphy and Brian Gutekunst. They are either unwilling or incapable of putting quality pieces in place around the solid nucleus of Rogers and others.

Lol

Members online

Latest posts