Who stays, who goes?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that AR probably lost confidence in LaFleur yesterday after he took the ball out of his hands with 2 minutes left. It's kind of like a kicker missing a 27 yard fg to lose a playoff game. Can't imagine that fateful decision will be shrugged off. AR has every reason the force a trade by threatening retirement.

2 seasons worth of what has been by all accounts "great chemistry" and he's going to throw in the towel based on a coaching "mistake" (still not convinced it was the wrong move)? It's not like they had a heated argument about it and MLF ripped the ball out of his hands. I think we also need a little perspective and remember that despite his success, MLF is still only in his second season as a head coach. I don't blame AR for being raw and upset with the call, but I think it's absurd for one play call to be the straw that breaks the camels back after a season of kumbaya by all accounts. It'd be different if AR was disgruntled by play calls all season long, but that's not the case.

OP
OP
H

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those FAs played in both the 2019 and 2020 season. I probably should have stated that there were no big name FAs signed before the 2020 season. My point remains the same - the 2019 and 2020 teams are pretty much the same with regards to starting lineups/contributors.
Well, when you put it that way... :)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad to see go - Aaron Jones. MM really wasted this man in first few years here

Ain't that the truth....How many times did MM take Jones out of a game after a long run to put in Ty Montgomery so he could lose a yard and kill all momentum?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Coaches:
  • Shawn Mennenga needs to go.
  • Pettine should be replaced, but I don't know if he will be.
Notable Players (Cut):
  • Preston Smith
  • Christian Kirksey
  • Dean Lowry
  • Ricky Wagner
Notable Players (Walk):
  • Aaron Jones
  • Kevin King
Notable Players (Try to Avoid Cutting):
  • Billy Turner
  • Adrian Amos
Notable Players (Try to Resign):
  • Corey Linsley
  • Jamaal Williams
ERFA/RFA (Tender):
  • Robert Tonyan
  • Allen Lazard
  • Tyler Lancaster
  • Raven Greene

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches:
Notable Players (Cut):
  • Preston Smith
  • Christian Kirksey
  • Dean Lowry
  • Ricky Wagner
Notable Players (Walk):
  • Aaron Jones
  • Kevin King
  • Billy Turner
  • Adrian Amos
  • Corey Linsley
  • Jamaal Williams
ERFA/RFA (Tender):
  • Robert Tonyan
  • Allen Lazard
  • Tyler Lancaster
  • Raven Greene

Stop cheating off my test paper Dantes LOL

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Turner can play R tackle. But not guard or L tackle. Might as well let Wagner go. You aren't going to win a super bowl with him out there. Between Redmond and Greene there is no choice. Hell, you let Redmond walk any which way. I have stood up for King but he has to go. But all this (and more) means we need replacements. And probably through the draft. Dl, and dbs/corners. And OL. Take a shot on IL. I just don't see justification for spending a high pick on a receiver. It is a boom or bust pick. More so than others imho.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches:
Notable Players (Cut):
  • Preston Smith
  • Christian Kirksey
  • Dean Lowry
  • Ricky Wagner
Notable Players (Walk):
  • Aaron Jones
  • Kevin King
  • Billy Turner
  • Adrian Amos
  • Corey Linsley
  • Jamaal Williams
ERFA/RFA (Tender):
  • Robert Tonyan
  • Allen Lazard
  • Tyler Lancaster
  • Raven Greene

pretty much my exact list here :D
on the note of Rodgers, i'll guess that next season will be his last in GB, which was my guess when we drafted Love as well

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
pretty much my exact list here :D
on the note of Rodgers, i'll guess that next season will be his last in GB, which was my guess when we drafted Love as well

2 seasons was always the most likely scenario. If he maintains this level of performance in 2021, however, I think that changes things.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 seasons was always the most likely scenario. If he maintains this level of performance in 2021, however, I think that changes things.

if he plays like he did this year again and we come up short again as well, he'd be nuts to stick around :cry:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The crazy scenario is say he plays MVP worthy again, at that point the organization IMO has to force themselves to do one of two VERY uncomfortable things: trade Love for arguably like what a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder or so - low price for someone needing a QB that doesn't need to possibly spend a 1st or a 2nd for a guy many considered that level.....OR.....we literally cut a HoFer and one coming off an MVP or MVP worthy season for the 2nd straight season.

I am very happy that is not the decision for this year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are most likely going to lose Linsley, King, and Jones. They'll probably bring back Jamaal. Next year's team is going to require an incredible draft to get back to the level they were at this year. Considering the Packers are currently projected to be $27m over the cap right now, it's going to be exciting to see what Gute does to replace the guys he's going to lose with very little ability to do anything with free agents.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let go:
  • Preston Smith
  • Christian Kirksey
  • Dean Lowry
  • Ricky Wagner
Touch call but I'll let Linsley walk too if that helps keep Aaron Jones.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$30m dead cap still saves $5m.
Only if you plan on starting Jordan Love. If you plan on getting anyone with experience, it certainly doesn’t save a dime. If you plan on starting Love... well then let’s just burn the house down and start from scratch... I am not in that camp.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that AR probably lost confidence in LaFleur yesterday after he took the ball out of his hands with 2 minutes left. It's kind of like a kicker missing a 27 yard fg to lose a playoff game. Can't imagine that fateful decision will be shrugged off. AR has every reason the force a trade by threatening retirement.
I highly doubt that Rodgers thinks the way you do. I’m basing this on your past posts.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The crazy scenario is say he plays MVP worthy again, at that point the organization IMO has to force themselves to do one of two VERY uncomfortable things: trade Love for arguably like what a 3rd, 4th or 5th rounder or so - low price for someone needing a QB that doesn't need to possibly spend a 1st or a 2nd for a guy many considered that level.....OR.....we literally cut a HoFer and one coming off an MVP or MVP worthy season for the 2nd straight season.

I am very happy that is not the decision for this year.

In that situation, the choice is simple imo. You eat the crow, Love is a nobody at this point. You do what you can to make your HOF MVP happy and try to win with him. Rodgers will likely put up another mvp quality type season next year, he showed zero signs of slowing down en route to showing once again that he’s the best player in football.

I’m sure at this point, the front office and coaching knows whether or not Love has the special qualities it takes to be a good starter in this league even by now. They’ve had him in the building for a year now every single thing he’s done has to have been under a microscope, rookie QBs are more prepared for the nfl than ever in the history of the sport. Thinking about guys like Rodgers, mahomes, stories I’ve heard, their staffs knew immediately that these guys had something special from their first couple practices. Yes, you hope you can mold talent, but these young guys come in and once you have them in the building and going through an entire season of practices, team room interactions and study sessions, you see things and have to know.

If I’m Gute, and I’m not absolutely convinced love is the future, I’m trading him this offseason for anything that can help the team win immediately. It would be a pride hit thing to trade him, but would also show he’s not afraid to admit mistakes and will do what it takes to win. But who knows, I’m sure more politics and optics go into it with Murphy and whatnot.

OP
OP
H

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you trading Love to make AR happy or to get someone who can help? If the latter, what do you think the 26th pick last year, inactive all year, would be worth to another team?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting!

Corey Linsley said:
That’s not to say something couldn’t happen, but up this point, it’s been complimentary but nothing of substance. It’s a lot of emotions going on. It is what it is. I feel like I put out some good film and did the best that I could this year. Hopefully if the Packers don’t re-sign me, hopefully another team will.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you trading Love to make AR happy or to get someone who can help? If the latter, what do you think the 26th pick last year, inactive all year, would be worth to another team?

both but who knows, there was talks that a few teams wanted to take him, including the pats, which was why we traded up. Maybe a second rounder.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting!

I think it should be expected. Hard to see how the Packers afford a top NFL contract for a center. Honestly, Packers already gave up on trying to improve the team with Rodgers so let Linsley go and start getting the books set up for the Love years.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers isnt going anywhere this year
Jones is gone
Put the team together with what’s left, make the playoffs and play better in the playoffs ... including Rodgers
BTW there is not going to be as much cap money chasing free agents this year as is typically available

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stay: Linsley, Williams, Adams, MVS, Tonyon, tugboat, Amos, Sullivan

Go: Lancaster, Lowry, A Jones, Kirksey, Wagner, Scott, King, Preston, EQ, Burks, Redmond

Members online

Latest posts