Who Is Worried- The looming, lingering Purple.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Surging Vikings..... Are sitting in the playoffs right now.

If it ended today, they would play Seattle to determine who will face the Packers in Green Bay. They have momentum, and of course the rivalry will have them fired up.

The Vikings are not going away. They loom there like a bad nightmare that would be the worse possible emotional playoff loss to packer Fans.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket

Imagine the Vikings in the NFC Championship game.

There would be suicides here on the Packer Forum. I am concerned.

R.P.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last week the Vikings were the overwhelming pick when somebody asked the forum which team from the wild card round they would least like to meet. I was in the majority opinion.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about them, though. I still think the Packers are the better team and will beat them if they play each other. Also, if the Vikings get a wild card and win in the first round, they are more likely to go to Dallas than Green Bay. So it's unlikely there will be a head-to-head matchup.

What seems to be the difference for the Vikings lately is the play of their young QB, Tarvaris Jackson. With that great running game, they don't put a whole lot of pressure on him, so it's a good way for him to learn the game.

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Last week the Vikings were the overwhelming pick when somebody asked the forum which team from the wild card round they would least like to meet. I was in the majority opinion.

I wouldn't say I'm worried about them, though. I still think the Packers are the better team will beat them if they play each other. Also, if the Vikings get a wild card and win in the first round, they are most likely to go to Dallas than Green Bay. So it's unlikely there will be a head-to-head matchup.

What seems to be the difference for the Vikings lately is the play of their young QB, Tavaris Jackson. With that great running game, they don't put a whole lot of pressure on him, so it's a good way for him to learn the game.

I agree... The young QB.

However... Did you read what the 49ers did to A.P. today? Adrian Peterson carried the ball 14 times and had a total of 3 Yes "THREE" yards. His longest run was 4 "FOUR" yards. That means he ran the ball 13 times for 1 "One" total yard. UN-Freaking Believable.

R.P.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
I agree... The young QB.

However... Did you read what the 49ers did to A.P. today? Adrian Peterson carried the ball 14 times and had a total of 3 Yes "THREE" yards. His longest run was 4 "FOUR" yards. That means he ran the ball 13 times for 1 "One" total yard. UN-Freaking Believable.

R.P.

No, I hadn't heard that. Amazing. But when I turned on the game Chester Taylor scored from about 60 yards out, and the route was on. For the Vikings to win big when Peterson was completely shut down is very impressive, and it sends a message to the rest of the league.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikings have improved but they are not going anywhere. look who they have beaten. they beat the falcons,bears,raiders, lions and 49ers. 5 of their 7 wins against losing teams. during this 4 game winning streak they beat 3 of those teams above. all losing records besides giants. and chargers earlier in the season.

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikings have improved but they are not going anywhere. look who they have beaten. they beat the falcons,bears,raiders, lions and 49ers. 5 of their 7 wins against losing teams. during this 4 game winning streak they beat 3 of those teams above. all losing records besides giants. and chargers earlier in the season.

Good Point.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I wouldn't say I'm worried about them, though. I still think the Packers are the better team and will beat them if they play each other. Also, if the Vikings get a wild card and win in the first round, they are more likely to go to Dallas than Green Bay. So it's unlikely there will be a head-to-head matchup.

What seems to be the difference for the Vikings lately is the play of their young QB, Tarvaris Jackson. With that great running game, they don't put a whole lot of pressure on him, so it's a good way for him to learn the game.

OK, I'm a bit confused. Would the Packers play the winner of the Seahawks-Vikings game regardless if the seeds stay exactly the same OR would Dallas get to play the lower seed of the two wild card games? If the Vikes won their first round playoff game as a #6 seed, wouldn't they go to Dallas?

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

OK, I'm a bit confused. Would the Packers play the winner of the Seahawks-Vikings game regardless if the seeds stay exactly the same OR would Dallas get to play the lower seed of the two wild card games? If the Vikes won their first round playoff game as a #6 seed, wouldn't they go to Dallas?

the number one seed, dallas probably, would play whatever the highest seed was that came out of the wild card round of the playoffs. so yeah they would most likely play the vikings cause 1 seed vs. 6 seed. only way we would play the vikings is if the vikes somehow get the 5 seed or we get the 1 seed

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop the run and you stop the Vikings. It's as simple as that. We can score on them.

kmeyer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they changed the playoff format seeding a few years ago. I'm under the impression the seeds just set the originial bracket and from there if upsets happen, they knowlonger re-shuffle it. I could be wrong. If not, we will play the winner of Seattle and Minnetsota.

PS: Tampa is 8-5, only one game back of Seattle so anything can happen there yet.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Queens had to come here, we'd do to them what we did last time.

Cheesey, are you referring to what the Pack did to the Vikings the last time the Vikings went to Lambeau for a playoff game? I can only hope for another 31-17 win for the Vikings.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Greg C. said:

the number one seed, dallas probably, would play whatever the highest seed was that came out of the wild card round of the playoffs. so yeah they would most likely play the vikings cause 1 seed vs. 6 seed. only way we would play the vikings is if the vikes somehow get the 5 seed or we get the 1 seed

Thanks. That's what I thought as well. I'm not scared of the Vikes coming to GB but one has to admit that they are playing some pretty good football right now so it wouldn't be another walk in the park like the last time the two teams met.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
If the Queens had to come here, we'd do to them what we did last time.

Cheesey, are you referring to what the Pack did to the Vikings the last time the Vikings went to Lambeau for a playoff game? I can only hope for another 31-17 win for the Vikings.

Well said my purple amigo.......

Since cheesey turned 50, he has been suffering from CRS. :p

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Unlike most tournaments, with a predetermined bracket, each round of the playoffs is 're-seeded'; the highest surviving seed always hosts the lowest surviving seed, the second-highest hosts the second-lowest, etc. This guarantees each division winner at least one home playoff game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Greg C. said:

Unlike most tournaments, with a predetermined bracket, each round of the playoffs is 're-seeded'; the highest surviving seed always hosts the lowest surviving seed, the second-highest hosts the second-lowest, etc. This guarantees each division winner at least one home playoff game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_playoffs

It would be nice if our Minny rivals burst the luck bubble that Dallas has going on. I honestly see Dallas either going all the way with their luck, or having a complete meltdown in the playoffs. I think a Minny/Seattle match-up suits our purple foes quite well. It also means we get Tampa or New York which should work quite well in our favour with both teams being brutally inconsistent at the moment.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be happy with a play-off game, after being 3-6. I really thought the season was over.

Regardless, we'll be underdogs in any scenario and Childress isn't shy about trying trick plays, so it will be fun to watch........

IF WE MAKE IT.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
The Surging Vikings..... Are sitting in the playoffs right now.

If it ended today, they would play Seattle to determine who will face the Packers in Green Bay. They have momentum, and of course the rivalry will have them fired up.

The Vikings are not going away. They loom there like a bad nightmare that would be the worse possible emotional playoff loss to packer Fans.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/bracket

Imagine the Vikings in the NFC Championship game.

There would be suicides here on the Packer Forum. I am concerned.

R.P.

Aren't you the guy RP who predicted that Aaron Rodgers would be starting for Favre by now?

I'm not too concerned about it.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers once held the mighty Barry Sanders to -1 yards in 18 carries...

RP, no offense but you seem to be taking the Raider loss kind of hard...

Having manhandled the Vikings twice this year, I'd think it is the Vikings who would be dreading us in the playoffs...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RP loves playing devil's advocate. give him a break. he's not saying "this will happen", he's saying, "what if this happens."

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is brilliant. He will gameplan some quick scores to take the Viking running attack out early, forcing them to throw and play catch up. I'm not worried about the Vikings. That's exactly what MM did in the regular season games and it worked both times.

Now, the ironic side in me if the Packers don't represent the NFC in the SB would love to see the Vikings in there. Let's just say the Vikings upset the Pats in the SB without Randy Moss. That would be funny.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings and the Pats in the SB? I would enjoy doing yard work.

Everything has been covered, other than the fact that Vikings suck outdoors. So through that in too. And our team was injured to the nines during that playoff loss. The head coach even apologized to our's after the game.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming Dallas is seeded 1 and the Packers are seeded 2, Minnesota can't do any better than a 5 seed at this point. If NY gets the 5 seed and Minnesota the 6, the Vikings would have to first beat Seattle on the road (3), and then go to Dallas and beat the Cowboys (1) before they would potentially face us (2) assuming we'd beat the winner of the Giants/Bucs games in the divisional round. (assuming the seeds work out that way)

The Vikings have definitely turned their season around, but they haven't clinched a playoff spot yet. There are 4 teams currently trailing them by one game (Arizona, Washington, Detroit, and New Orleans) who could still make a run at the playoffs yet. There's no guarantee to the Vikings will win their final 3 games either, so it will be an interesting final three weeks to the regular season.

Even then, I think we'd be able to handle them. If you contain their running game and force Jackson to try and beat you through the air, it's a very winnable game.

Members online

Latest posts