Who is the best defensive player on the team this year?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it's a good question. To me the most important position in a 3-4 is the NT, and Raji has just been an absolute beast. Does he ever even get any plays off? I know it's impossible to compare an OLB to a NT, and NT's don't rack up the tackles or sacks like linebackers, but I just thought it may spark interesting opinions...

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Matthews, hands down. While he was out for 1 and a half games we lost to the Redskins and Dolphins because our defense wasn't the same without him.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Defensively I don't think it's so egocentric as the offense, I think the defense is as good as it is because of the cohesiveness of the whole unit, wihout CWood stripping the ball in the backfield perhaps the Giants stay in it, but if they don't pay attention to Clay or BJ they will get a loss on the play.
I really think it's the entire unit that makes for such success, if Clay isn't doubled does BJ get the single attention? If CWood isn't rushing does Tramon get man to man?
This is an outstanding question as the whole are better than the pieces imo.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Matthews was out, the defense lost games because there was no one to pressure the QB or be the first one past the line.

That's my answer.

missinghoagies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Woodson makes the defense go, his versatility allows Capers to do things he could not do with other guys. Woodson made 2 plays defending the run game yesterday coming off the short corner basically playing as an LB that I believe no other player in the league makes. So nice as a coach when you can play a guy out on the slot in early downs and you not only lose nothing vs. the run but gain something. Factor in he is still the best man to man cover corner in the game. Matthews is a close 2nd also.

I will say this though Raji is playing huge as did Jenkins(any word on him) before injury, getting solid safety play, and LB play. Playmakers on every level.

arrimike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has to be Matthews. He is second in sacks in the NFL, and he puts so much pressure on the QB's that it allows for guys like Williams to shine. I mean, at one point in the season, granted it was really early, Matthews was on track for 48 sacks. Meaningless, but is just shows you what this guy does.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews. The game changer yesterday was forcing the fumble by Jacobs. The Bears score on that drive and it's 31-24 with the 4th quarter to play. Unbelievable play by Matthews. He's done it all season.

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews. The game changer yesterday was forcing the fumble by Jacobs. The Bears score on that drive and it's 31-24 with the 4th quarter to play. Unbelievable play by Matthews. He's done it all season.
Dont get ahead of yourself there ;)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best player is Clay Matthews without a doubt.
Last year it was Woodson, but Woodson has been lacking in his coverage skills. He's still one of the most complete DBs in the league, certainly the most complete CB in the league.

But Matthews is the most complete OLB in the league, and he dominates in every aspect of it.

He's amazing as a pass rusher.
He's amazing as a run stopper.
He's very good covering.
His ball skills are tremenduos.
His overall play ability is off the charts.

Both Woodson and Matthews are old school players. They could play in the 40's. Woodson can be a Wr, Matthews probably could be a TE. They're just football players.

But Woodson is clearly declining, whereas Matthews is only getting better (yes, it is scary).

Raji deserves TONS of props. He has been a beast lately. There isn't a DT that's playing better than him right now. There are some who are playing as well as him, Wilfork, Suh to name a few, but nobody is playing better than Busari right now.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think Matthews but had to give raji some love. RS is right, he is playing lights out. I dont think anyone on the line has been on the field as much as he has this season. I wasnt super excited about the pick, wasnt down on him just wasnt excited, but TT yet again proves he knows what he is doing.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
tier1: Matthews, Collins
tier2: Raji
tier3: bishop, hawk, williams, woodson

Matthews or Collins for sure, collins doesnt get enough love for what he does back there, Most important player on our defense hands down imo. I can't even imagine how bad we would be if we lost him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts