Which safety duo was the best?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since someone brought up that Underwsood/Collins would make a great safety duo for yuears to come, I beg to ask...

I personally liked the Cecil/Butler combo. I also liked the Butler/Robinson duo.

But, there was a duo of safeties in the Lombardi years that was VERY good led by Willie Wood.

Was it Jesse Whittenton? Tom Brown?

What about the Ken Ellis/Steve Luke?

What do you folks think?

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Chuck Cecil was the best at intimidating anyone who came across the middle. I think he had a injury scab on his nose and would would let it bleed every time right when the game started to show blood on his nose.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cali, Doug Plank was teamed with Fencik for a good part of his career. Later is was Maurice Douglass, and then Dave Duerson, I believe.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my lifetime of viewing, I would have to say Tiger Greene and Ken Stills...juuuust kidding man. But Mark Murphy was a beast..loved the way he played...if only he had some good teams.

Really, though, it would be hard to beat LeRoy Butler in his prime coupled with the uniquely savvy Eugene Robinson. ****, man, they knew more about what was going to happen than opposing QBs. Personally, I believe that LeRoy deserves to be mentioned in the discussion of the 5 best safeties to ever play the game, and hope one day the Pro HOF begins to recognize safeties. For the last 8 - 10 years, the safety has become the lynchpin of great defenses with their size, speed and versatility. About time the HOF starts to give that position its long overdue dues.

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points digs.

I wish HOF would give Jerry Kramer his DUES.

As a safety, I thought Butler was the best. Though i think his tandem with Cecil was unbelievably tough, I feel Butler was a bit young at the time. His pairing with Robinson was something special though.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
...But Mark Murphy was a beast..loved the way he played...if only he had some good teams...

I agree about Mark Murphy. A very heady, hard nose player. You wouldn't have seen Murphy hanging onto a ball carrier for 30 yards like we seen Little do the other week against Carolina. If Roman and Little could tackle like Murphy did, our defense would be better.

I'm glad Murphy made the Packer Hall of Fame.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks digsthepack.

In my lifetime none of the Packers tandems stick out in my memory.

I did see Fencik and Plank hit Packer receivers very well. You always have to respect the toughness of the Bears.

Harris and Waters in Dallas were good too.

The worst player in the Hall of Fame in my opinion is Paul Krause. Remember how Brockington would stomp him and to the point where Paul Krause took dives to avoid getting hit.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Since someone brought up that Underwsood/Collins would make a great safety duo for yuears to come, I beg to ask...

I personally liked the Cecil/Butler combo. I also liked the Butler/Robinson duo.

But, there was a duo of safeties in the Lombardi years that was VERY good led by Willie Wood.

Was it Jesse Whittenton? Tom Brown?

What about the Ken Ellis/Steve Luke?

What do you folks think?
Willie Wood and Bob Jeter!! Ah, those were the good old days, the mid-60's. Back to back Super Bowls.
Wood and Jeter were the most feared DB's in football. In 1967 they combined for 12 interceptions and they could hit like a ton of bricks.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pretty young at the time, but Chuck Cecil still stands out in my memory...my favorite hit of all time was against the Bears when he stood over the receiver after knocking his lights out and just started shaking. Looked like a roid rage to me but I'm not accusing him of anything though!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember that hit...among so many others the man dished out. Friggin' Gene Washington killed his career....never put a former WR in charge of establishing punishment criteria...especially against DBs.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Cecil had to take his checkbook out after every game because of this fine or that. The man should have played along with Nitschke, Butkus, etc.

Members online

Latest posts