Which Packer will make the biggest improvement next season?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the jury is still out, he was working with some great lines in the early part of the decade, maybe he just doesnt have the talent to work with...

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I'm hoping it's one of our young corners who steps up while Al Harris is still recovering. And hopefully in this order: Pat Lee, Will Blackmon, Brandon Underwood.

Three young guys who hell, have the world in front of them with the injury to Harris, someone has to step up and make some plays.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it will be Clay Matthews. He was a total bad *** as a rookie but I have a feeling he will become an elite pass rusher this next year.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Blackmon has a chip on his shoulder coming this season. He's a great returner but nothing more. He was drafted as a receiver turned CB and he hasn't showed any progress in that department. If we draft a returner alongside a solid No. 3 or 4 CB in this draft, I think Blackmon's days in GB are done.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the jury is still out, he was working with some great lines in the early part of the decade, maybe he just doesnt have the talent to work with...

You may be right, ivo, but the line play was worse last year than 2 years prior, with essentially the same mix of guys. I don't think Campen understands the details of the zone blocking scheme. Since Jago left, there really isn't anyone on the staff with that knowledge. Maybe they're learning as time goes on, but to this point the failure of the running game is mostly on the line play. The guards and the backups don't seem to know who the h to block, and to me that's on the coaching. You would either have to change the personnel or the coaches to get an idea of who's to blame.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may be right, ivo, but the line play was worse last year than 2 years prior, with essentially the same mix of guys. I don't think Campen understands the details of the zone blocking scheme. Since Jago left, there really isn't anyone on the staff with that knowledge. Maybe they're learning as time goes on, but to this point the failure of the running game is mostly on the line play. The guards and the backups don't seem to know who the h to block, and to me that's on the coaching. You would either have to change the personnel or the coaches to get an idea of who's to blame.
I think we saw a tremenduous improvement when Wells took the field.

Spitz was just lost on the blocking calls and blitz pickup. That's why you saw too many times a player shoot out block free and sack Rodgers.

When Wells got the starting job, it ceased...

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Moving everyone around like they did was just stupid

I am in agreement with most of what you said, but I think the running game hasnt been that bad. Ryan Grant looks better than he actually is most of the time.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Moving everyone around like they did was just stupid

I am in agreement with most of what you said, but I think the running game hasnt been that bad. Ryan Grant looks better than he actually is most of the time.

Yes, Grant has been o.k., but his yards/carry of 4.5 is only a bit above the NFL average of ~4. The other backs average 3yds or less. The zone blocking scheme was supposed to produce a great power running game that would allow us to control the ball in the 4th quarters. It isn't there yet.

JK_JEEP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BJ Raji. he showed flashes this last season but I think he will play a bigger part this year.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Harrell will be the most improved player and the biggest surprise. People will start talking "what if he was healthy last year", with his pass rush would we have won the Cardinal game?

Or he may not even make it through preseason.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Harrell will be the most improved player and the biggest surprise. People will start talking "what if he was healthy last year", with his pass rush would we have won the Cardinal game?

Or he may not even make it through preseason.

I hope the first part is correct, but I'd be surprised if he's on the roster opening day.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the first part is correct, but I'd be surprised if he's on the roster opening day.

If he is able to get his act together, what an addition to that front 7 he would be. We could really have a nice rotation wearing down our opponents Offensive line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts