Where the Packers are in the NFC

Reaction score
The Niners defense is no joke. Holy crap they handled the Rams today. Now +93 in scoring differential.
It’s amazing how good the 49rs are looking right now. They are the team to beat in the NFC. I wouldn’t want to be playing them tonight without Davante and Savage. I think we’d be in trouble.

That said, there are teams that show up early and there are teams who “wear well”. I believe GB is more the latter and has as good an opportunity as anyone in the NFC to ascend. I still feel like we have a missing link at WR that could make us exponentially better.

What we are seeing now (and in many seasons) is teams peaking early. Over the course of the next 6-8 weeks or so we will begin to see the men separate themselves from the boys as the teams either gel or come unglued.

Right now, another win buys us time. We really could use more time.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you may be underestimating Detroit. Tonight's game is not going to be easy.

With a 1 point win, you may have a point....especially given we were at home but it's all a matter of perspective if you ask me.

Without Adams(and to a lesser extent Tonyan), I'd say we were -8 offensively, and without Savage(Sullivan is dead even with Brown if you ask me so no loss there), we were +5. So an adjusted score of 31-17.

Our WR Corps is struggling, but Lazard had a nice game. If GMo can't go, we're going to need him and MVS to step up and have a good game against the Raiders. We gotta ride this this wave for a possible NFC clinching game with the 49ers Nov 24th.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grinding out a tough game, from behind for a win is a special thing. I'm fully confident in us going well into post season.

We really need a proper #2 though. Once Davante comes back, we'll only get better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone declaring about us needing a #2....we've now won 2 games against not bad teams with a bunch of bums according to most (some would argue barely a #3 out there)....I'm not saying an experienced #2 (Sanu trade please!!!!) wouldn't be awesome but I'm also about ready to give this group props for the guts they've shown. I do wish EQ wasn't hurt, his smarts and route running would be greatly appreciated by AR.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
By DVOA through week 5 (just as one more data set):
  1. 49ers
  2. Eagles
  3. Saints
  4. Cowboys
  5. Seahawks
  6. Packers
  7. Vikings
  8. Rams
  9. Lions
  10. Bears
Remember this does not include this most recent slate of games. Packers are 9th overall in the NFL (9th in off. DVOA, 9th in def. DVOA, and 14th in ST DVOA).

Every single NFCN team ranks in the top 10 in the NFC and the top 15 in the NFL overall. Tough division this year!

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone declaring about us needing a #2....we've now won 2 games against not bad teams with a bunch of bums according to most (some would argue barely a #3 out there)....I'm not saying an experienced #2 (Sanu trade please!!!!) wouldn't be awesome but I'm also about ready to give this group props for the guts they've shown. I do wish EQ wasn't hurt, his smarts and route running would be greatly appreciated by AR.

AR said he lobbied for Lazard once GMo went down so maybe he'll get increased chances against the Raiders. I wasn't able to watch the game but I would have thought he would have gotten more snaps over Shepherd to begin with. For whatever reason Kumerow was missing as well.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if the staff really is targeting the Chiefs game as Adams' return date, this may be Gute's chance to see what he really has in the rest of the WR Corps. At this rate, unless we lose for the rest of the season we won't be targeting a top WR Round 1.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR said he lobbied for Lazard once GMo went down so maybe he'll get increased chances against the Raiders. I wasn't able to watch the game but I would have thought he would have gotten more snaps over Shepherd to begin with. For whatever reason Kumerow was missing as well.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if the staff really is targeting the Chiefs game as Adams' return date, this may be Gute's chance to see what he really has in the rest of the WR Corps. At this rate, unless we lose for the rest of the season we won't be targeting a top WR Round 1.

Kumerow was out there but didn't shine but also IMO didn't do poorly. He did lobby for Lazard in the 4th to play and was said to have responded well to Lazard hitting the huddle discussing routes he should run. I don't expect Lazard to move mountains for us, but he has that edge and will go grab the ball for sure...excited to see what he turns into...Janis had a huge game against the Cardinals once upon a time and never became anything more...praying Lazard is different.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kumerow was out there but didn't shine but also IMO didn't do poorly. He did lobby for Lazard in the 4th to play and was said to have responded well to Lazard hitting the huddle discussing routes he should run. I don't expect Lazard to move mountains for us, but he has that edge and will go grab the ball for sure...excited to see what he turns into...Janis had a huge game against the Cardinals once upon a time and never became anything more...praying Lazard is different.
at this point, just catching the ball will help, how many TD's and crucial first downs that killed drives were just dropped? 4? 5? there were at least 8-12 more plays we didn't run on offense because of drops. That's significant. That's a scoring drive to most teams, at least a field position changer.

and you can't take points of the board because you can't catch, which we did a couple times, though I think one drive we did end of scoring anyway. They just need to start catching the damn ball.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point, just catching the ball will help, how many TD's and crucial first downs that killed drives were just dropped? 4? 5? there were at least 8-12 more plays we didn't run on offense because of drops. That's significant. That's a scoring drive to most teams, at least a field position changer.

and you can't take points of the board because you can't catch, which we did a couple times, though I think one drive we did end of scoring anyway. They just need to start catching the damn ball.

4 if memory serves...you got GMo's early drop, Aaron Jones for sure TD, Jimmy Graham TD drop and you have Shepherd's slip helmet bounced pick. Honestly Shepherd's is the best as any receiver slips last second bad things could play out.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point, just catching the ball will help
Yeah, I really like the philosophy Gute has of wanting big, tall receivers, at least in theory. It just seems like so many of our guys can't catch the ball. Which seems really odd to me, considering they've spent their entire athletic careers catching balls, and have stood out at doing so enough to be signed by NFL teams.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like the philosophy Gute has of wanting big, tall receivers, at least in theory. It just seems like so many of our guys can't catch the ball. Which seems really odd to me, considering they've spent their entire athletic careers catching balls, and have stood out at doing so enough to be signed by NFL teams.
They stood out because they were bigger and faster than the D backs they were playing against in College and before. Then they get to the NFL and have to play against guys that are faster with less separation, and quite frankly, in my opinion, they have to learn to catch while being interfered with on EVERY play. The question of pass interference has gotten to the point in the NFL where the defender getting there before the ball is almost a given.. once in a while it will get called.. but to my eyes, it is completely random as to when. Good NFL receivers manage to make the catch anyway.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers have been able to win games with the current receiving corps there's no doubt the passing game would hugely benefit from acquiring a better #2 option behind Adams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While the Packers have been able to win games with the current receiving corps there's no doubt the passing game would hugely benefit from acquiring a better #2 option behind Adams.

This is my thought as well. We don't need to be losing consistently to recognize a need and take reasonable measures to address it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are at a point in the season where the offense seems to be working together and it's a bit easier to see why things are working or aren't. and it's obvious our pass catchers are not where they should be. Inconsistent and just failing to step up and take advantage of an opportunity so far.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They stood out because they were bigger and faster than the D backs they were playing against in College and before. Then they get to the NFL and have to play against guys that are faster with less separation, and quite frankly, in my opinion, they have to learn to catch while being interfered with on EVERY play.
That's an interesting point, and as good an explanation as any.
Of course, that one pass where Rodgers hit Shepherd in the face with the ball, he was wide open. Doesn't invalidate your point, but I'm just saying.

This is my thought as well. We don't need to be losing consistently to recognize a need and take reasonable measures to address it.
This is the point where TT would have said well, we don't need to worry about the wideouts, one of my brilliant draft picks will step up and fill the need.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are probably #2. Watching the Saints dismantle the Bears in Chicago I'd say they are the cream. It is hard to say how good the 49ers are. The Seachickens are losing to the Ravens. Tonight's game in Dallas will show who is going to lead the NFCE.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago is overrated a bit. With a dumpster fire of a Offense, they put too much pressure on their D which is not sustainable.

Lions got found out again.

Vikings and Cousins are rocking which is worrisome.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago is overrated a bit. With a dumpster fire of a Offense, they put too much pressure on their D which is not sustainable.

Lions got found out again.

Vikings and Cousins are rocking which is worrisome.

What just sucks is their schedule seems sprinkled with cupcakes.

Well, I mean we can only hope Mahomes is back in time to play them, but ugh they get to play KC right after we do.

Outside of that, only games I'd put them up against it with are the ones in Seattle and ... Well maybe Dallas, but I don't trust Jason Garrett to prepare his guys properly for them.

But either way, yeah, I'd say our schedule is definitely tougher with the 49ers and Panthers on it.

Detroit and Philly's fails may mean Rodgers will need the game of his life in their stadium to win the division.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Vikings have to play @KC, @DAL, and @SEA in a four week span. If Mahomes makes it back, that's a pretty brutal slate.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings have to play @KC, @DAL, and @SEA in a four week span. If Mahomes makes it back, that's a pretty brutal slate.

Not to mention an appointment with us again! I don't see them better than 2-2 in those.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole problem is you don't know which Dallas team might show up.

If Minny plays the one that thrashed the Eagles last night, then yes they're in trouble. If they get the one that showed up against us or the Jets, bad news.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts