Where the Packers are in the NFC

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little irked at the way the Eagles punched us in the mouth, and now it looks like they're in the process of folding. I guess it's good that we don't meet them in the playoffs, since they were apparently a matchup problem for us. Still, I feel like we should have beaten them. Oh well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm a little irked at the way the Eagles punched us in the mouth, and now it looks like they're in the process of folding. I guess it's good that we don't meet them in the playoffs, since they were apparently a matchup problem for us. Still, I feel like we should have beaten them. Oh well.

I don't think they punched us in the mouth so much as capitalized on ST gaffes and turnovers.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a feeling the Bears this year were going to be the 2018 version of the Jaguars. Mitch is possibly the worst starting QB in the league and cannot sustain drives. Their defense yesterday looked like they had enough midway through the 3rd.

The Saints are going to be a scary team. I really wish they lost a few games without Brees. Brees looked old and washed up around week 14 through the playoffs last year. Now he has 5 weeks of rest to get ready for the playoffs. That isn't a team I want to go and play in NO in January.

Even though it is basically week 8, other than the Saints the clear #1, I still don't have a good feel on where the rest of the teams are at. It's been a whacky start to the season so far.

West seems like SF should be the favorites, I'd like to see them tested more though. Seattle looks great for a few weeks, but then lays eggs out of no where. Rams have scary potential.

East is a battle between the Cowboys and the Eagles, both of which have looked great and terrible in the matter of 7 days.

South should be the Saints the win. Panthers will be tested her in the next 3 weeks, we'll see what they're made of. (SF, TEN, GB)

North will come down to Packers and Vikings right now it looks like. The Lions don't seem they have the capability of winning a big game, they can get so close and cannot close out a game of meaning.

Reaction score
Yes. The Saints are playing at a very high level. But I think we are close. Right now I think we’d beat them at Lambeau but they’d beat us in their house. It’s that close. Edge... Saints.

San Fran is runner up to us. They need to beat down a top 3 NFC team to legitimatize their record. They look awfully strong against poor to mediocre teams. Not to mention that this is the time of season teams Offenses are starting to click. Can they beat a good team mid-season? tbd

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a feeling the Bears this year were going to be the 2018 version of the Jaguars. Mitch is possibly the worst starting QB in the league and cannot sustain drives. Their defense yesterday looked like they had enough midway through the 3rd.

The Saints are going to be a scary team. I really wish they lost a few games without Brees. Brees looked old and washed up around week 14 through the playoffs last year. Now he has 5 weeks of rest to get ready for the playoffs. That isn't a team I want to go and play in NO in January.

Even though it is basically week 8, other than the Saints the clear #1, I still don't have a good feel on where the rest of the teams are at. It's been a whacky start to the season so far.

West seems like SF should be the favorites, I'd like to see them tested more though. Seattle looks great for a few weeks, but then lays eggs out of no where. Rams have scary potential.

East is a battle between the Cowboys and the Eagles, both of which have looked great and terrible in the matter of 7 days.

South should be the Saints the win. Panthers will be tested her in the next 3 weeks, we'll see what they're made of. (SF, TEN, GB)

North will come down to Packers and Vikings right now it looks like. The Lions don't seem they have the capability of winning a big game, they can get so close and cannot close out a game of meaning.

You have to giggle at what the Bears gave up to move up 2/3 spots to take Mitch. :roflmao:

I think the Saints are the best team in the NFC right now. I'm not sure what to make of SF. Who have they played yet this year?

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to giggle at what the Bears gave up to move up 2/3 spots to take Mitch. :roflmao:

I think the Saints are the best team in the NFC right now. I'm not sure what to make of SF. Who have they played yet this year?

And passed up on Mahomes too lol.
The Bears gave up their number 1, 3 and 4 I believe, plus the next years 3 to move up 1 spot so they could pass on not only Mahomes but Watson also. Thank you Chicago.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints are clearly the best team in the NFC. They are balanced and deep. I can't think of another team that would win five straight with a backup qb. The rest of the better teams in the NFC all have their weaknesses. Vikings o line is mediocre and Cousins folds under a pass rush. Packers defense can't stop the run. Goff is a middling qb. Seattle might be the second best team but I don't think they have enough weapons on offense and they really miss the Legion of Doom. Prescott with Dallas is similar to Cousins. Give him time and he looks like an MVP. Put a pass rush on him and he's good for 3 turnovers.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Bears gave up their number 1, 3 and 4 I believe, plus the next years 3 to move up 1 spot so they could pass on not only Mahomes but Watson also. Thank you Chicago.

I'd love to hear an interview, years after the fact, what was going through the heads of SF front office when they received the calls from the Bears on their offer to move up a spot.

Not only were Watson and Mahomes out there. But maybe hindsight now, but Fournette, McCaffrey. lol. jeeez.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to hear an interview, years after the fact, what was going through the heads of SF front office when they received the calls from the Bears on their offer to move up a spot.

Not only were Watson and Mahomes out there. But maybe hindsight now, but Fournette, McCaffrey. lol. jeeez.

Not unlike the year the Bears had the #4 overall pick and chose Cedric Benson. Among those they passed on Antrel Rolle, DeMarcus Ware, Thomas Davis, Derrick Johnson.....and Aaron Rodgers. The Bears eventually cut Benson, and he went on to have a nice career in Cincinnati.....and briefly, in Green Bay.

Hindsight is 20/20, of course.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not unlike the year the Bears had the #4 overall pick and chose Cedric Benson. Among those they passed on Antrel Rolle, DeMarcus Ware, Thomas Davis, Derrick Johnson.....and Aaron Rodgers.
And they were laughing at us because we used a first round pick on a quarterback when we didn't need one. I was on another board at the time (might even have been Usenet, I can't remember), and the trolls were thick about that one.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And they were laughing at us because we used a first round pick on a quarterback when we didn't need one. I was on another board at the time (might even have been Usenet, I can't remember), and the trolls were thick about that one.

"Usenet"....Now there's a blast from the past.:)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But as others have said - our run D leaves a lot to be desired. I hope the return of Savage will help the backend. There were way too many wide open guys on Sunday.

Oh trust me I don't disagree. I think the Saints are the best NFC team currently. They've played better schedule and come through. I put us right with the 49ers one step down...both have a decent amount of unknowns about them...however I would put us a tick above as I do feel we are more consistent.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we keep consistent; we look very good for a wild card right now. And so minihaha, I think, is our main nemesis. We want to win the division and so they are our #1 problem. Got to win our division games.
That said, I have watched SF and they look very good. Jimmy G can really throw the ball and they have a good running attack.
The Saints look much better than I would have believed.
Seattle is tougher then they might seem.
And even if we win the division; we might have to play minihaha again.
I was nervous in the 2nd half of the cowboy game.
The Rams could start to play much better.
In summation. There is no easy road. We just are gonna have to keep winning! ;)
imho

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Winning always makes people feel pretty good and every game the Packers players and coaches seem to get closer and closer to each other. Love these snippets from the Raider game. They mainly focus on Rodgers and MLF, but those who questioned whether Rodgers would be coachable by a guy like MLF, only have to look at this.

Speaking of MLF, he has to be in the running for Coach of the year right now.

https://www.packers.com/video/mic-d-up-aaron-rodgers-6-tds-vs-raiders-week-7

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Add to the laughter, they gave up 2019 and 2020 1st Round picks for Mack. They won't get another 1st Round selection until 2021...

Btw, anyone see Mack staring into that gigantic nothingness void, sitting on the bench, contemplating yet another sure loss??? It was precious.

I think GB is the class of the NFC, all the way. Just like NO has won without Brees, we've won without Adams and Savage, and Greene. Looks like all of that is going to change, and I think GB is Tops in the NFL. Not buying any of that NE BS either. They have played NO ONE. Yet. I'm just hoping we stay healthy and look forward to Adams and Savage's return.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Add to the laughter, they gave up 2019 and 2020 1st Round picks for Mack. They won't get another 1st Round selection until 2021...

Btw, anyone see Mack staring into that gigantic nothingness void, sitting on the bench, contemplating yet another sure loss??? It was precious.

I think GB is the class of the NFC, all the way. Just like NO has won without Brees, we've won without Adams and Savage, and Greene. Looks like all of that is going to change, and I think GB is Tops in the NFL. Not buying any of that NE BS either. They have played NO ONE. Yet. I'm just hoping we stay healthy and look forward to Adams and Savage's return.

The Bears are, unless Mitch makes a miraculous 180 in his career are somewhat screwed for the remainder of Mack's contract. They don't have draft picks and teams are picking lots of QBs in the drafts these days. They have a great defense, but a defense that is on the field for 40 minutes a game is going to end up getting hurt. There aren't good free agent QBs. They'd have to trade away a defensive piece to pull off a trade to get one that is on a team right now.

And by the time they have a 1st to pick on a possibly QB, Mack is 3 years older and at the end of his deal and in that time, they'd have to start paying some of their defensive pieces or some may have walked already. When you look at a team like the Bears, it makes it that much easier to appreciate what Green Bay has had for the last 30 years.

New England has 20 years of being top notch so I'm definitely buying. Steelers were pre-Ben injury, Jets weren't supposed to be this bad, Giants didn't have Barkley, and playing @Bills is never easy for anyone. So maybe they haven't been totally tested, but history tells us they're ready for another run. But the next month for them will be a true test.

I'll give the Pack top 5 right now because much like most teams that have a real good record right now and who their opponents have been. They've had 5 home games, I would hope a team with this much talent would look good at home. Much like New England, the next month for them will be a big test on who they are. Chiefs, Chargers, Panthers, 49ers with only Panthers at home. That's a rough stretch, gotta keep the momentum flowing.

Phazael

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will win the division, but the Saints might be the most complete team in football at the moment. Bridgewater is not a backup, really, and we should thank Zimmer for being so impatiently ruthless to want to spend all that money on Bradford and Cousins, rather than stick with Teddy. Only way they get derailed is if Brees comes back rusty.

Niners are good and that D is ferocious, but Jimmy G is not a guy who will win from behind. The first time that team hits an offense that can score on them, they will have some major issues. But they are probably the second best team in the NFCat the moment, because their D, unlike ours, has not had any brainfart games. Upside for us is I dont see their offense geting beter, while ours is constantly improving, despite the revolving door at WR. So, that could change things.

Vikings, yeah no. Cousins looks good at home against crap teams, usually. He did all of squat against the Deadskins tonight. We beat them pretty handily when our offense was still struggling. Now? I dont see them as a threat. I consider Detroit more dangerous, frankly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams can't wait 3 years to see if a QB is going to be able to get back physically from one of the worst knee injuries a well accomplished orthopedist has ever seen. I don't blame them for moving on.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New England has 20 years of being top notch so I'm definitely buying. Steelers were pre-Ben injury, Jets weren't supposed to be this bad, Giants didn't have Barkley, and playing @Bills is never easy for anyone. So maybe they haven't been totally tested, but history tells us they're ready for another run. But the next month for them will be a true test.

FWIW, NE’s schedule has been really, really bad. Their opponents are a combined 12-33.

They have been SO bad, NE has only had 6 opportunities to defend in the red zone. Imagine that.

You’re not kidding about this next month. At least, their competition gets a little better.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts