Where did all the Davante Adams Haters go? Long term contract coming?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone is willing to make last year water under the bridge. He's outplayed my most optimistic expectations.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I get the need and the excitement to sign guys like Adams and Monty, they and their agents do too. You always hope that the Packers can find the right moment and the right price, when it comes to contracts, but this isn't just them going to a players agent and saying "ok, lets lock your guy up for 4 years at this price". Adams has another year to continue to establish his market value and Monty 2 years, their play could price them right out of what the Packers value them at.
That's a great way to look at it.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was curious where all the Adams haters have gone? The ones that think we should have dumped him in favor of Abbrederis. The ones that thought Janis should start in front of him. There are literally hundreds of post that wanted to get rid of what may be our most talented wide receiver during an injury riddled (knee and ankle) second season.

This almost seems absurd a year later. Abbrederis isn't in the same stratosphere as Adams and never was.

Or maybe he know's more about what he is doing from inside Lambeau than you do sitting on your couch :D

Me too, typically you don't cut top 20 receivers in the league. It's usually not a good business model.

How's that looking one year later? Allen Robinson ranked 48th in yards and 6 TD's. Adams is 17th with 9 TD's.

Ohh and to add insult to that stat, Robinson has been targeted 20 more times. And averaging 3 less yards per catch.

Threads like this... "Abbrederis & Jannis are better than Jones & Adams."

Yeah... No

I only add the examples below to show the community that sometimes the guys who see these players practice everyday know a little more than us. Sometimes it's just better to let things play out then to get all frantic.

Ok back to the main question:

Do you think the Packers should lock him up long term at a lower price and not risk him becoming the centerpiece and demanding the Top 10 receiver money.

Also did you know Adams has been more efficient and explosive than Jordy this year? More 20 yard plus plays plus and averaging a full 2 yards more a catch. Adams is also catching 63% of his targets are receptions, compared to 60% from Jordy. All in all he has just been plain better than Jordy this year in almost every measurable category besides total yards which he trails by 16 yards.

Glad you're so modest. Not afraid to say I was wrong, I'm happy to have been proven so.

pninn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum. Packer fan living in Chicago ... good times.

I believe the the emergence of Adams the last month or so has been a huge reason the Packers offense has started to hum.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up another good receiver. The Cardinals just released Mike Floyd. He has a drinking problem but he is also a good receiver. Pick him up, try to get him to dry out and work him into the offense.

Patrick

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum. Packer fan living in Chicago ... good times.

I believe the the emergence of Adams the last month or so has been a huge reason the Packers offense has started to hum.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up another good receiver. The Cardinals just released Mike Floyd. He has a drinking problem but he is also a good receiver. Pick him up, try to get him to dry out and work him into the offense.

Patrick

I was waiting for the "pick-up Floyd" comments to start. First, I think he gets picked up before the Packers even have a shot at him. Second, I could see that move last year or even earlier in this season, but with the way our current WR group is rolling, Floyd wouldn't see a lot of playing time unless someone else went down. The DUI is a bad thing and depending on the circumstances may not derail his NFL career, but for AZ to just outright release him, I think there is more to the story.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was waiting for the "pick-up Floyd" comments to start. First, I think he gets picked up before the Packers even have a shot at him. Second, I could see that move last year or even earlier in this season, but with the way our current WR group is rolling, Floyd wouldn't see a lot of playing time unless someone else went down. The DUI is a bad thing and depending on the circumstances may not derail his NFL career, but for AZ to just outright release him, I think there is more to the story.
Funny, the first thing that came to mind yesterday when I saw that Floyd had been released was I wonder who the first person to suggest the Packers pick him up would be. And I couldn't agree more with the rest of your post.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Floyd is an unrestricted free agent at the end of this year and I wouldn't mind the Packers trying to add him to see if he can be of value and see if he's worth signing to a longer term deal after the season. Keep in mind that the entire Cardinals offense was a train wreck this year so Floyd wasn't the only guy playing poorly, perhaps pairing him with Rodgers would allow him to be the elite WR everyone thought he was becoming. Let's not forget, coming out of college this guy was a top-15 pick who is bigger and faster than Jordy and Jordy had the same drop issues early in his career that Floyd has had. The upside on Floyd is that he becomes a top-5 WR in the NFL; that's worth a little risk considering the cap is projected to go up another $10m next year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a good thing that Adams has to wait, if he has another very good year at receiver his price is only going to go up, and up a lot.

I'm not so sure I would want to lock a guy up too early, even Davante Adams. Sure, you might get a player cheaper now, if all things remain the same, but you could also get a player who is injured or one whose level of play drops in that 1-2 other years he would have been under contract. Too early of a signing is a gamble for both player and team and I have a feeling, it would more times then not, benefit the team less.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Not surprisingly the Patriots picked up Floyd.

I was waiting for the "pick-up Floyd" comments to start. First, I think he gets picked up before the Packers even have a shot at him.

The Patriots claiming Floyd off waivers means the Packers weren't interested in him.

I'm not sure it's a good thing that Adams has to wait, if he has another very good year at receiver his price is only going to go up, and up a lot.

The Packers are allowed to extend Adams contract in March.

I'm not so sure I would want to lock a guy up too early, even Davante Adams. Sure, you might get a player cheaper now, if all things remain the same, but you could also get a player who is injured or one whose level of play drops in that 1-2 other years he would have been under contract. Too early of a signing is a gamble for both player and team and I have a feeling, it would more times then not, benefit the team less.

I'm in favor of extending ascending players still on their rookie contracts after the third season. While I agree there's some risk involved with it the benefits outweigh it in my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not surprisingly the Patriots picked up Floyd.

The Patriots claiming Floyd off waivers means the Packers weren't interested in him.

This doesn't surprise me either, Belichick saw a decent player that fills a need, Brady has to be smiling today, guessing Floyd is feeling pretty good about his new home too. I read a few articles yesterday and everyone was pointing at either the Pats or the Cowboys snagging Floyd. Both have 11-2 records, I wonder if the Patriots had first crack at him? Floyd going to Dallas would have been worse for the Packers IMO.

Another interesting aspect of picking up Floyd, if he does not resign with the Pats after this season, it makes them eligible for a compensatory pick for losing him.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me either, Belichick saw a decent player that fills a need, Brady has to be smiling today, guessing Floyd is feeling pretty good about his new home too. I read a few articles yesterday and everyone was pointing at either the Pats or the Cowboys snagging Floyd. Both have 11-2 records, I wonder if the Patriots had first crack at him? Floyd going to Dallas would have been worse for the Packers IMO.

Another interesting aspect of picking up Floyd, if he does not resign with the Pats after this season, it makes them eligible for a compensatory pick for losing him.
That last part is interesting... I would have thought that a player would need to have been on the roster for more than 3 games before a team could claim a compensatory pick .....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reminds me of what the Packers did about 20 years ago when they picked up a troubled Andre Rison towards the end of the season to shore up a thin WR group. Low risk, high reward move that if nothing else, the Pats will be eligible for another compensatory pick with. Belichick must have been standing at the top of the mountain over looking Whoville grinning ear to ear when Floyd dropped in his lap.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Patriots currently are ranked ahead of the Cowboys in the waiver order and therefore had the first crack at him out of these teams. I'm not convinced New England woukd receive a compensatory pick for him as it seems to be tied to playing time as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seems you were right about it. :tup:

In that situation, just writing what I read LOL...which can get me in trouble for believing what I read on the internet. I am just scratching my head though on how he cleared 30 teams, with that compensatory pick bonus. Without it, I can see most teams not wanting to "rent him" for 3 or more weeks, but for a playoff team, anything he can add now, in the future or just for the compensatory pick is worth the $1.3 M to me. LOL.....talking like $1.3 M is chump change.

The other side of the coin, the Cardinals lost a compensatory pick by straight up releasing him, they could have just benched him for the final 3 games and not resigned him.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking Atlanta would bring him due to Wr problems. But really not surprised that BB and the Pats grabbed him. Very talented when healthy and not acting like bonehead!

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and Jordy started his career pretty slow too, I am not saying we should induct him to the Packer Hall of Fame yet. But would it be worth giving him some money and getting a couple more years before he maybe is that household name. Or do you think he has reached his pinnacle?

to overcome such a stale performance as his he has now confidence to grow on to become a serious threat. a threat he will! he will have another outstanding performances this sunday. that frozen pig skin will succumb to his soft hands.I will call them tempur-pedic hands

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That potential comp pick in 2 seasons is costing them almost $1/2 million per week this season. That is about a minimum salary rookie cap hit per week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That potential comp pick in 2 seasons is costing them almost $1/2 million per week this season. That is about a minimum salary rookie cap hit per week.
True that, but what is the value of a 4th or 5th round player, salary aside?

I also don't think this was just a move to pick up a compensatory pick. Floyd is a young former #13 pick who could help the Patriots this year and due to his past, may sign a new contract for a reasonable amount. The CP is just bonus insurance if he doesn't work out. Who knows what he will do for the Patriots in the next 4+ games, but this is the kind of move that separates Belichick from the rest IMO.

Last edited: