Where did all the Davante Adams Haters go? Long term contract coming?

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no denying he was terrible last year. I didn't realize how injured he was. Clearly it must have been bad because he is a completely different player this year. Honestly, I didn't think he would turn it around, but he has proven me wrong and is doing very well. I hope he keeps it up!

H

HardRightEdge

We'll see what the brass thinks of him after next season during contract negotiations. Early re-sign is not in the cards as there already is a lot of WR $$$$ tied up in an above average Cobb and a slowly declining yet pro-bowl level Jordy.
Actually Nelson has picked up his game over the last few weeks. He looks more fluid, he's not dropping balls as in the early games, he's making tough catches he wasn't making. He's on schedule post-ACL.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but if Jordy went down again, would we see more of last year or would he produce as the team's number one?

Not if he has a ankle sprain and knee issues like he did last year. But that didn't stop anyone from riding his butt the whole year. He played every week he could because he was the only talent left in the receiving corp other than Cobb.

If you get a chance wattch Adams in person or on a full field view on coaches film. If you watch play in and play out he is the best receiver on this team and it isn't even close right now.

And Robinson has the same quarterback he had last year... That gave him the inflated numbers. If you actually watch the Jaguars games, Robinsons problems have as much to do with him as Bortles. But I will agree Bortles is bad.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think I stayed neutral on Adams, knowing he was a 2nd round pick that AR and the Packers publically had a lot of faith in him, I can understand why people were down on him last year. The same could be said about a lot of professional athletes during the course of their careers.

But I guess if someone is looking for a "I told you so" moment, now would be the time to play their Davante Adams card. Just be sure to stick around long enough to let history play out.

...and now.....back to Jeff Janis :coffee:

I'm not going anywhere big guy...

I have post from last year saying that he is the most talented receiver on the corp and that he never had anymore drops than Jordy. Even showed the numbers.

My faith in him didn't waiver when everyone was calling him a bust. It surely won't now if he has a bad streak which I am sure he will. I mean OBJ has bad stretches. Just more than anything this is to tell people to calm the F down and look at things somewhat objectively. And also wondering if the Packers should lock him up before next season, or do you think you want to see it again for another year before that?

Plus I'd miss you too much to leave :D

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could of gone either way. however, rubbing it in peoples' faces isn't the way to go. with that said, i'll eat crow and admit he proved that he is a viable asset this year. hopefully he will continue to shine. if he doesn't i'm not going to bash the guy but just call him butterball. hah
it's still early to make the call on this guy whether he will be a household name or just your average NFL receiver. didn't it take couple of years for people to accept that jordy was a great receiver?

Yeah and Jordy started his career pretty slow too, I am not saying we should induct him to the Packer Hall of Fame yet. But would it be worth giving him some money and getting a couple more years before he maybe is that household name. Or do you think he has reached his pinnacle?

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you think the Packers should lock him up long term at a lower price and not risk him becoming the centerpiece and demanding the Top 10 receiver money.

It might be a good idea to sign him to a long-term contract next offseason.

We'll see what the brass thinks of him after next season during contract negotiations. Early re-sign is not in the cards as there already is a lot of WR $$$$ tied up in an above average Cobb and a slowly declining yet pro-bowl level Jordy.

It´s probable re-signing Adams next offseason comes cheaper than waiting for him to become a free agent.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I'm not going anywhere big guy...

I have post from last year saying that he is the most talented receiver on the corp and that he never had anymore drops than Jordy. Even showed the numbers.

My faith in him didn't waiver when everyone was calling him a bust. It surely won't now if he has a bad streak which I am sure he will. I mean OBJ has bad stretches. Just more than anything this is to tell people to calm the F down and look at things somewhat objectively. And also wondering if the Packers should lock him up before next season, or do you think you want to see it again for another year before that?

Plus I'd miss you too much to leave :D

Feeling the love around here....lol :tup:

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not if he has a ankle sprain and knee issues like he did last year. But that didn't stop anyone from riding his butt the whole year. He played every week he could because he was the only talent left in the receiving corp other than Cobb.

If you get a chance wattch Adams in person or on a full field view on coaches film. If you watch play in and play out he is the best receiver on this team and it isn't even close right now.

And Robinson has the same quarterback he had last year... That gave him the inflated numbers. If you actually watch the Jaguars games, Robinsons problems have as much to do with him as Bortles. But I will agree Bortles is bad.

First I don't disagree that Adams looks like the best wide receiver on the team right now. At the same time, I don't know many wide receivers that don't play banged up. We still can't belittle the fact that having Jordy back has opened the field up for him. Again, give him a full season without Jordy and without injuries and then we can worship him as a god. We all thought Cobb was the next great thing as well and paid him as such. We actually saw that he also benefitted from Jordy being around.

As far as Robinson, you do realize Bortles was posting something like a 28% completion percentage for passes over 20 yards right? He wasn't that bad last year.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

First I don't disagree that Adams looks like the best wide receiver on the team right now. At the same time, I don't know many wide receivers that don't play banged up. We still can't belittle the fact that having Jordy back has opened the field up for him. Again, give him a full season without Jordy and without injuries and then we can worship him as a god. We all thought Cobb was the next great thing as well and paid him as such. We actually saw that he also benefitted from Jordy being around.

As far as Robinson, you do realize Bortles was posting something like a 28% completion percentage for passes over 20 yards right? He wasn't that bad last year.

I`m with you on this Beard. In my own personal opinion, the best Wide receiver we have, and it showed with his absence more than ever last year, is Jordy Nelson. Adams is excellent I`ll grant you, but Nelson on the field draws attention from back field players and Adams and Janis benefit which id great for us.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m with you on this Beard. In my own personal opinion, the best Wide receiver we have, and it showed with his absence more than ever last year, is Jordy Nelson. Adams is excellent I`ll grant you, but Nelson on the field draws attention from back field players and Adams and Janis benefit which id great for us.

But Janis hardly plays nowadays...you mean Cobb?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What I like about the receiving corp this year and especially ever since the Bear game, is that MM and the powers to be, are finally finding ways to play to each players strengths. Jordy is being put into the slot once in awhile and having success. Monty, enough said. Adams is getting some favorable one on one matchups and taking advantage of them. Cook is being lined up all over the place. Even Jeff Janis has contributed by running an end around on occasion. Maybe losing our RB's early on was a good thing, it forced MM to get creative with his WR group and it seems to be working.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Jordy drawing the #1 corner probably has more to do with it than opening up the field. Jordy has turned into an almost strictly possession receiver. (Mostly stop routes and back shoulders. And a trusted target in the endzone and on third down) They took a couple shots early in his return, but it just hasn't worked out well. Davante is actually second in the league to Julio with 16 plays over 20 yards.

I agree that you just don't anoint someone a hall of famer with one good year. But a lot of money could be lost if he does become the next Jordy and you wait till he is a free agent to sign him. Not to mention he doesn't necessarily need to return to Green Bay. Not saying either way is right, that's why I asked what others thought about signing him early.

And I don't disagree with Bortles being bad... Just saying I don't see Allen Robinson as gods gift to football either. Or even clearly better than Adams is all.

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like about the receiving corp this year and especially ever since the Bear game, is that MM and the powers to be, are finally finding ways to play to each players strengths. Jordy is being put into the slot once in awhile and having success. Monty, enough said. Adams is getting some favorable one on one matchups and taking advantage of them. Cook is being lined up all over the place. Even Jeff Janis has contributed by running an end around on occasion. Maybe losing our RB's early on was a good thing, it forced MM to get creative with his WR group and it seems to be working.

Yeah I seen a stat that the Packers were ranked 7th Rushing offense and 4th Rushing Defense for the first 11 weeks. And 12th pass offense and 29 in pass defense. (4-6)

The past 3 weeks they were ranked 30th in rushing offense and 26th in rushing defense. But 1st in passing offense and 4th in pass defense. (3-0)

The Packers are finally playing behind their best player on offense, and some guys coming back from injury and a little luck has done well for the pass defense.

BTW the article is here...
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ve-their-season/?addata=espn:espn:stats++info

D

Deleted member 6794

Davante is actually second in the league to Julio with 16 plays over 20 yards.

Actually Adams is sixth in the league in receptions of 20+ yards behind Julio Jones, T.Y. Hilton, Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper and Tyrell Williams. It's still impressive though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off I like the way you went and did some digging to find examples, bravo! Second I wasn't one saying to cut Adams but I did want to see him pushed down the depth chart to try and light a spark under him. I liked Abby, I haven't given up on Janis. And Davante is finally looking like the 2nd rd pick we drafted from Fresno St. His first 2 years were frustratingly disappointing. But he is looking top 15 WR this Season. If he plays like this next year it will be hard to bring him back or expensive at least.
His rookie year was the best of any rookie WR drafted under Thompsons control.

I know all you remember me backing him up when the witch hunters were sharpening their pitchforks. It may have seem justified by the level of play. But it seems nobody considered the sophomore slump. The injuries, that ultimately ended his season early when we needed him most. The fact that the entire offense looked like a steamer, not just him. I started the year thinking he looked like a poor mans Julio Jones. Then when Montster looked even better as a rookie?!?! and Adams wasn't healthy or playing up to par with the weight of the world on his shoulders, did I consider the long term depth chart... Cobb, Jordy and adams alike were being bumped for Sterling Sharpe 2.0, In my honest opinion...But everything was blurred when we couldn't even keep 2 healthy WRs for a game most the season...

So a honest question. Whats the depth chart now that everyone is healthy? And that is relative to who we plan to keep 2 years from now with Jordy and Cobbs guaranteed money paid up?

One thing I see is Greenbay is directing Montgomery into a RB/WR hybrid with RB first... Does that justify him being the #4 WR? I think so, though I do not agree. That guy should be embarrassing CBs and Safetys. Throw him a lot of short high percentage passes and let him beat his guy. Give him 5-10 carries as well. I believe the ball in his hands is a good thing. And I think he has only scratched the surface when it comes to his potential. He is physical, and can be aggressive against the smaller Dbacks. But as RB he needs to run away and stay healthy. Finish obviously, but run away.

Adams is the same level IMO. He is better suited to play WR IMO. He destroys most CBs with his strength and quickness. He is physical just like Montgomery is. My reasoning is the extra length, and speed allows for a little more separation. He gets a little more open and can get that extra step down field a little more often. And he is only getting better...

Cobb..... I like him a lot. But you look at the price tag, size, nobody can knock his toughness, but that physical play has taken him out a few times. The biggest being the division playoffs last year when we needed him most. He will need a couple big seasons to not be the odd man out 2 years from now IMO.

Jordy. His chemistry with Rodgers is irreplaceable. He is back to form right away after the ACL. Magically the offense looks great , even without Lacy??? The other WRs magically look great, Rodgers magically looks great...... Its not a mystery. He is obviously magic! I also see him being the type humble enough to know when his time at #1 or even #2 or #3 is over. I expect Jordy to finish his career here similar to Donald Driver... The end of this contract being the start of the slide down the depth chart...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So a honest question. Whats the depth chart now that everyone is healthy? And that is relative to who we plan to keep 2 years from now with Jordy and Cobbs guaranteed money paid up?

Doesn't really matter to me. Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Monty will all see the field as much as possible the rest of the way and all will also be virtual locks to make the 2017 roster. Davis, Allison, Janis and any other WR brought in will have to earn a spot on the roster next year, with Davis probably having the best chance.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter to me. Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Monty will all see the field as much as possible the rest of the way and all will also be virtual locks to make the 2017 roster. Davis, Allison, Janis and any other WR brought in will have to earn a spot on the roster next year, with Davis probably having the best chance.
I drew the parallel of Adams to Julio with much ridicule. I went so far as to push the Sharpe parallel with the Montster, despite not having the stats to back it up. Adams is showing that potential now. And I don't see the intelligent Montgomery not getting better and better every year. These two players I would easily commit to long term, right now! but strategically you need to play the salary cap number game, and draft replacements BEFORE they are absolutely needed... We know Cobb is here to stay at least a couple more years based strictly on dead cap numbers. We committed to him before the young guys came into focus. We know Jordy is worth every cent. We know Montgomery and Adams are up and coming with very high ceilings. The chess board is set. Make the move like Kasperov, 15 moves ahead of everyone else...

OP
OP
Un4GivN

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just my 2 cents, but I think Davis is on the outside looking in. Unless something drastic changes. Here is his snap count the past 7 weeks vs Allison

Davis
36-5-5-2-0-0-0

Allison
19-7-18-11-5-5 13

Allison has outsnapped Davis the last 6 weeks in row. I am not saying it is out of the question for Davis to retake the spot if something clicks for him. But currently Janis and Allison are much more utilized. Which I believe says something about what management is thinking.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I get the need and the excitement to sign guys like Adams and Monty, they and their agents do too. You always hope that the Packers can find the right moment and the right price, when it comes to contracts, but this isn't just them going to a players agent and saying "ok, lets lock your guy up for 4 years at this price". Adams has another year to continue to establish his market value and Monty 2 years, their play could price them right out of what the Packers value them at.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but I think Davis is on the outside looking in. Unless something drastic changes. Here is his snap count the past 7 weeks vs Allison

Currently, you are probably correct. But I see Davis as a 5th round investment, that the Packers will most likely view as an investment they won't easily part with in year 2.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Davis
36-5-5-2-0-0-0

Allison
19-7-18-11-5-5 13

Allison has outsnapped Davis the last 6 weeks in row. I am not saying it is out of the question for Davis to retake the spot if something clicks for him. But currently Janis and Allison are much more utilized. Which I believe says something about what management is thinking.
Regarding Trevor Davis, I think he hasn't gotten up to speed as an NFL receiver, yet. It's taken Janis 3 years and the light hasn't clicked on for him so Davis may be a longer-term project, also.
http://totalpackers.com/2016/05/packers-looking-trevor-davis-return-man/

"It didn’t make sense because the Packers were six deep at receiver before selecting Davis and Davis isn’t considered an NFL-ready receiver."

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I get the need and the excitement to sign guys like Adams and Monty, they and their agents do too. You always hope that the Packers can find the right moment and the right price, when it comes to contracts, but this isn't just them going to a players agent and saying "ok, lets lock your guy up for 4 years at this price". Adams has another year to continue to establish his market value and Monty 2 years, their play could price them right out of what the Packers value them at.
Very true.... but an early extension can look like an insurance policy against future injury poor play etc... to agents as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Adams is showing that potential now. And I don't see the intelligent Montgomery not getting better and better every year. These two players I would easily commit to long term, right now!

The Packers aren't allowed to sign Adams to a contract extension before next offseason as well as Montgomery until March 2018.