What's your opinion of Ryan Grant?

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Seriously, Ryan Grants numbers are surprisingly good. And only 1 lost fumble last year he has pretty sure hands. Dallas radio host ranked Ryan Grant as the 8th best running back in the league. Not that it really matters what a local radio host in Dallas thinks, but I found it interesting that he made the guy's radar.

Call me a homer, but if I had a choice of Ryan Grant or Adrian Peterson I think I'd stick with Grant. 3 lost fumbles in the Championship game took the shine off Peterson in my book.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is very good, as long as he doesn't fumble, and his line can create some holes.

But Peterson is in another level, even with the fumbles. Him fumbling just takes him off of that #1RB spot. But he's still a top 3.

I think the RB I'd like would be MJD. Best all around back, solid pass pro, great hands.

asshalo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, Ryan Grants numbers are surprisingly good. And only 1 lost fumble last year he has pretty sure hands. Dallas radio host ranked Ryan Grant as the 8th best running back in the league. Not that it really matters what a local radio host in Dallas thinks, but I found it interesting that he made the guy's radar.

Call me a homer, but if I had a choice of Ryan Grant or Adrian Peterson I think I'd stick with Grant. 3 lost fumbles in the Championship game took the shine off Peterson in my book.

I think there's a lot of people who agree with you. He's probably the most underrated RB in the league. He's incredibly consistent and fundamentally sound (high ave per carry, total yards, like you said no fumbles). And he does it all with a lot less talent than the average elite RB. That's the mark of a true football player.

I think he'd get more recognition if he were of an option in the passing game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Grant is a consistent runner who will put up a thousand yards per season. However, I don't think he is seen as a big threat to other teams. (Thus they can tee off on the pass.) He's more of a "grind it out" kind of runner, rather than a dazzling "break a big play" guy in my opinion.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
I can't stand ryan grant. I'm sorry but I just can't, he doesn't run hard 90% of the time, he has NO HANDS whatsoever, the only time he runs hard is if he has a WIDE OPEN LANE and its just him vrs a defensive back. I'm sorry but 1200 yards is not impressive to me, its just average if yo look around the league. Yeah it's better than no yards, but with that many touches if you dont get 1200 yards you are OUT OF THE LEAGUE. I just wonder, tie game, superbowl, 1 second left, sitting on the 1 yard line of the opposing team. What will MM do? he will throw the ball because no one trusts Grant to run hard and get that last yard. Anyone can bust a couple runs to the outside after you have been passing ALL DAY like the packers do. It's unfortunate that we dont have a guy that will just run up the middle and POUND the other teams linebackers.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Call me a homer, but if I had a choice of Ryan Grant or Adrian Peterson I think I'd stick with Grant.
Homer.

Let's not get carried away. A) Fumblitis can be fixed (see: Tiki Barber) and B) AD is a much more gifted running back than Grant. In every way except ball security, which I already said can be fixed.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant really doesn't do anything for me. Is he consistent? YES. Does he almost never fumble? YES. My issue is that he is NOT a game breaker. He doesn't have exceptional speed. He gets caught from behind sometimes. He's above average and consistent, but nothing special.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is a consistent runner who will put up a thousand yards per season. However, I don't think he is seen as a big threat to other teams. (Thus they can tee off on the pass.) He's more of a "grind it out" kind of runner, rather than a dazzling "break a big play" guy in my opinion.

I agree with you. He's not a guy you need to game-plan for each week.

PApackersfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry ill take a running back like ryan grant over AP, mainly cuz of consistency and turnovers. AP can get long runs, but you know what, that next play where MINN in 1st n goal and they give it to AP he is gonna fumble the ball. and dont say know cuz hje does it a lot. I still remember the viks vs steelers game last year where AP ran over the LB Gay and the commentators were all like "AP is an awesome RB no one can beat him", then the very next play he fumbles a steelers recover. It happens a lot, where as Grant, ill take his 1200yds reason with 1fumble and 4.4 yds per carry. as long as Aaron Rogers has the ball and Grant isnt turning it over. plus i liked him in ND lol and im a Wolverine fan.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im sorry ill take a running back like ryan grant over AP, mainly cuz of consistency and turnovers. AP can get long runs, but you know what, that next play where MINN in 1st n goal and they give it to AP he is gonna fumble the ball. and dont say know cuz hje does it a lot. I still remember the viks vs steelers game last year where AP ran over the LB Gay and the commentators were all like "AP is an awesome RB no one can beat him", then the very next play he fumbles a steelers recover. It happens a lot, where as Grant, ill take his 1200yds reason with 1fumble and 4.4 yds per carry. as long as Aaron Rogers has the ball and Grant isnt turning it over. plus i liked him in ND lol and im a Wolverine fan.

I'm a Wolverine and Packer fan too, but AP > Grant. I know Grant fumbles less, but AP has the break away speed and game changing ability Grant doesn't.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson is a better Power back than Grant and a better speed back than Grant.
But his fumbleitis and Grant's impressive ball security close the gap between the 2.

Grant doesn't force teams to stack up the box, but he makes them pay if they cheat for the pass. I think that's the best description I can make of him.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
AP also ran for 18 scores last year.

I think the question here isn't AP or Grant, I think the question is which do you value more, scoring or ball security?

I still think you can teach AP to hold onto the ball. I can't teach Grant to be as physically gifted as AP.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is a solid RB who is an crucial part of the Pack's offense. However, his main flaws are that he just isn't a receiving threat. Also, unlike AP, Grant seldom impacts the game with his open field agility.

Anyone remember his two fumbles in the playoffs to Seattle at Lambeau in 2008? He almost single handedly put the Seahawks up 14-0. But he must have told himself "never again" because he went on to take some 280 consecutive runs without a fumble...great comeback!

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant is a sevicable back while AD is a superstar. Yes he fumbles but he has far more playmaking ability.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He sure was game changing against New Orleans....eh?
I happen to like the Packers turnover ratio, but thats just me,

Sure, if you want to focus on one game in a career then Grant > AP. You can't disregard the yards from scrimmage and TD's because of a really bad game. AP is a much better back then Grant.

How bout Grant's fumbles vs. Seattle in 2007? He spotted the Seahawks 14 points in that game.

A

Armand from JERSEY

I don't think Ryan Grant has anything on Adrian Peterson...You know AP has the ability to score on any play and that's a fact! Grant, please, if he breaks a long run, I'm thinking ok great won't see that for another 10 games...He just is no where near the ability of AP...3-1, 4-1....ZERO CONFIDENCE in Grant to take the rock into first down territory, his favorite run plays are stretches to the outside or pitches to the outside...Do I think he is pretty tough, yes, do I think he is durable, yes, do I think you can count on him to make the short yardage happen when you need it, NO!

Now maybe with the addition of Bulaga and him possibly getting a starting Guard spot will improve the running between the tackles for Grant...maybe. Honestly, every year come draft day I'm hoping and praying for TT to add a quality back to our Team. He doesn't seem to value them that high, except for some reason B.Jackson tweaked his interest in a weaker draft at Running Back taking him in the 2nd Round. You watch the college tape on him and it's not impressive and gets picked by us in the 2nd.

We Take James Starks who has been a running back only while in college (less then 4 years), is injured in last season in college, breaks all the records in buffalo, but seriously, who set those records??

Hey I appreciate the find of Ryan Grant in 2007, it was huge, and he was hungry to make a team and it showed. He was the most explosive back that year in the final 8 or 9 games. Only Tomilson had more yards then him during that period. I'm still waiting to see if that same Ryan Grant will ever show up...but you keep filling the roster with these other backs, there ain't any one of them that is good enough to push him for a spot...the comfort level is way to high for Grant.

Sorry for the long post, but this has been one of my peeves of the packers, not a huge fan of Grant...I like him, but I don't love him....AP would be WAY better on our team

Attachments

• adrian-peterson.jpg
    adrian-peterson.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 85
  • nfl_g_grant_300.jpg
    nfl_g_grant_300.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 72

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is better than anyone else we have at the moment. I wonder if TT had any discussions with the Yikes about trading The Interceptor for Peterson, a truly gifted back who would have looked good in Green and Gold.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If AP is so much better than Grant, then why did Grant avg more per carry last season than AP?

Grant is not a great running back to watch by any means and he doesn't have the vision to separate himself into the elite RBs of the league, but for our offense he is great. I wish he could catch but I might be just nit picking. Were a passing first team so any running back by committee wouldn't be something that would be feasible in our offense.

Grant is as good of a pickup for the pack as TT has made. I would take Grant over any of the other Giant RBs today. Woodson and Matthews rank right up there as well. But getting Grant was just a steal.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If AP is so much better than Grant, then why did Grant avg more per carry last season than AP?

first of all it's the same YARDS/Carry AVERAGE...4.4

1. AP gets the ball on the goal line, that's automatic, not Grant
  2. AP gets fed the ball more times, teams are expecting him to pound the rock
  3. AP has been awesome w/o a QB, Grant's been barely above Average w/ GREAT QB's
  4. 7 more TD's then Grant's 11
  5. yes AP lost the ball 6 times, grant lost 1 in the regular season
  6. AP can and will learn ball security, Grant won't ever have the strength and ability of AP
  7. how about the 430+ receiving yards from AP, and the 197 receiving from Grant
  8. can you imagine AP in our offense with Rodgers drawing up the screen, OMG, Defenses would cringe
  9. I like Ryan Grant, but If I had to pick one to be on my team AP would be it in a heartbeat...
  10. you can't be a homer on this kind of comparison, you have to be realistic

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first of all it's the same YARDS/Carry AVERAGE...4.4

1. AP gets the ball on the goal line, that's automatic, not Grant
  2. AP gets fed the ball more times, teams are expecting him to pound the rock
  3. AP has been awesome w/o a QB, Grant's been barely above Average w/ GREAT QB's
  4. 7 more TD's then Grant's 11
  5. yes AP lost the ball 6 times, grant lost 1 in the regular season
  6. AP can and will learn ball security, Grant won't ever have the strength and ability of AP
  7. how about the 430+ receiving yards from AP, and the 197 receiving from Grant
  8. can you imagine AP in our offense with Rodgers drawing up the screen, OMG, Defenses would cringe
  9. I like Ryan Grant, but If I had to pick one to be on my team AP would be it in a heartbeat...
  10. you can't be a homer on this kind of comparison, you have to be realistic
I've already said that AP is better than Grant, without a doubt.

But the #1 point isn't accurate, as Grant gets every carry, no matter where. The reason he didn't have as much tds is because Rodgers runs with the ball too.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers does more QB sneaks then I'm comfortable with, leave the dirty work to a RB, not the one and only player that will make or break your whole franchise...and I don't mean to bash GRANT, but you can't compare him to arguably the best back in the league

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts