What's your opinion of Ryan Grant?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers does more QB sneaks then I'm comfortable with, leave the dirty work to a RB, not the one and only player that will make or break your whole franchise...and I don't mean to bash GRANT, but you can't compare him to arguably the best back in the league
Talent wise no. Production wise, AP gets the nod, but the poor ball handling is a BIG, BIG problem.

I agree that it's very much correctable, but it hasn't been corrected so far.

Fumbling that much, with Grant fumbling so little, closes the gap between the two.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. AP can and will learn ball security, Grant won't ever have the strength and ability of AP.
  2. You can't be a homer on this kind of comparison, you have to be realistic
I agree with those two statements

But the #1 point isn't accurate, as Grant gets every carry, no matter where. The reason he didn't have as much tds is because Rodgers runs with the ball too.
Didn't A-Rod put up some impressive numbers of running the ball?
Like wasn't he one of the top rushers?
If he can rush farther than Grant, then why not let him do it and get the first down?
They gotta do whatever it takes to win games.
:happy0005:

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone keeps praising him as underrated,etc but really i dont see it. especially with the way the offense is set up and how good the receiving corps is now, i dont think many could stop the passing attack even going all in. All i see time and again is grant running up the middle, hitting the line and falling over for 3 yards. not impressive at all

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
first of all it's the same YARDS/Carry AVERAGE...4.4

1. AP gets the ball on the goal line, that's automatic, not Grant
  2. AP gets fed the ball more times, teams are expecting him to pound the rock
  3. AP has been awesome w/o a QB, Grant's been barely above Average w/ GREAT QB's
  4. 7 more TD's then Grant's 11
  5. yes AP lost the ball 6 times, grant lost 1 in the regular season
  6. AP can and will learn ball security, Grant won't ever have the strength and ability of AP
  7. how about the 430+ receiving yards from AP, and the 197 receiving from Grant
  8. can you imagine AP in our offense with Rodgers drawing up the screen, OMG, Defenses would cringe
  9. I like Ryan Grant, but If I had to pick one to be on my team AP would be it in a heartbeat...
  10. you can't be a homer on this kind of comparison, you have to be realistic

First of all, its not the same. Grab a calculator and you will see Grant has a better per carry avg. Believe it or not they do round numbers lol.

Minn gears the offense in 2 of the 3 seasons towards Peterson while GB has always been a passing style offense. When Minn doesnt have a starting Quality QB of course the RB is going to look better. We target the FB, TE, and WRs on short yardage situations, Minn normally doesnt thus Peterson getting more love in the red zone.

Not being a homer at all, I am just bringing up a fact that Grant avg more yards last season. Is Peterson better? Sure. By much, no not really. I had enough of Ahman Green dropping the ball all the time, Im glad to see a RB

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, its not the same. Grab a calculator and you will see Grant has a better per carry avg. Believe it or not they do round numbers lol.
2009 is the only season where Peterson and Grant shared the Yards/Carry Average...4.4

Career Grant is 4.4 Peterson is 4.9

What #'s are you rounding? Where are you getting your info? What magic calculator are you using?

Minn gears the offense in 2 of the 3 seasons towards Peterson while GB has always been a passing style offense. When Minn doesnt have a starting Quality QB of course the RB is going to look better. We target the FB, TE, and WRs on short yardage situations, Minn normally doesnt thus Peterson getting more love in the red zone.
RB

Does it not make sense, when a defense expects Peterson to be the player that's going to get the ball, that it makes it harder for Peterson to do what he does? Are you implying it makes it easier?

Trust me if for some reason the Defense was expecting Grant to get the ball as many times as Peterson, Grant would be shut down

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2009 is the only season where Peterson and Grant shared the Yards/Carry Average...4.4

Career Grant is 4.4 Peterson is 4.9

What #'s are you rounding? Where are you getting your info? What magic calculator are you using?

Does it not make sense, when a defense expects Peterson to be the player that's going to get the ball, that it makes it harder for Peterson to do what he does? Are you implying it makes it easier?

Trust me if for some reason the Defense was expecting Grant to get the ball as many times as Peterson, Grant would be shut down

Magic calculator? Its 5th grade math actually. Ill just do it for you. Ryan Grant had 1253 yards last season with 282 carries. If you divide 1253 by 282 you get 4.44326241. Now Peterson had 1383 yards last season on 314 carries. If you divide 1383 by 314 you get 4.4044586. Ryan Grant had a better yards per carry last season than Adrian Peterson. FACT.

Im saying if an offense is geared towards a running game the running back in that offense will rack up more yardage more often than not.

My whole point was Peterson isnt that much better, he just is more flashy and started out his career with many more highlights but at this point its much closer than anyone gives grant credit for.

Lets not forget the vikings O line has been much better than the packers O line over the same period.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Magic calculator? Its 5th grade math actually. Ill just do it for you. Ryan Grant had 1253 yards last season with 282 carries. If you divide 1253 by 282 you get 4.44326241. Now Peterson had 1383 yards last season on 314 carries. If you divide 1383 by 314 you get 4.4044586. Ryan Grant had a better yards per carry last season than Adrian Peterson. FACT.

Im saying if an offense is geared towards a running game the running back in that offense will rack up more yardage more often than not.

My whole point was Peterson isnt that much better, he just is more flashy and started out his career with many more highlights but at this point its much closer than anyone gives grant credit for.

Lets not forget the vikings O line has been much better than the packers O line over the same period.

Peterson averages 4.8 ypc to Grant's 4.3 ypc over the last 3 years. The difference is due to Peterson's number of long gainers. This is from Advanced NFL Stats:

It's the open field breakaway ability that separates the guys with big YPC stats from the other RBs. Of Tomlinson's runs, 1.5% were for 30 yards or more. Bettis' 30+ yd gains comprised only 0.46% of his carries. The other RBs and the league average are as follows:

NFL 0.91%
Lewis 0.88%
Westbrook 0.93%
Peterson 2.20%

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last year Grant had 3 runs over 30 yards, and Peterson had 5. All running backs in the NFL have a very similar graph of yardage gained per carry, but a few have the ability to break long gainers--like Peterson and like Barry Sanders was. Peterson's liability is his fumbling as everyone agrees. But I would take that risk in return for his big play ability.

On the surface, I would disagree with your opinion that the Yikes' offensive line has been better (both lines are pretty average I would say), but I'd be interested in any stats that you have to back your opinion up.

Advanced NFL Stats (Advanced NFL Stats) is a great website that I think you would enjoy if you haven't already checked it out.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson averages 4.8 ypc to Grant's 4.3 ypc over the last 3 years. The difference is due to Peterson's number of long gainers. This is from Advanced NFL Stats:

It's the open field breakaway ability that separates the guys with big YPC stats from the other RBs. Of Tomlinson's runs, 1.5% were for 30 yards or more. Bettis' 30+ yd gains comprised only 0.46% of his carries. The other RBs and the league average are as follows:

NFL 0.91%
Lewis 0.88%
Westbrook 0.93%
Peterson 2.20%

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last year Grant had 3 runs over 30 yards, and Peterson had 5. All running backs in the NFL have a very similar graph of yardage gained per carry, but a few have the ability to break long gainers--like Peterson and like Barry Sanders was. Peterson's liability is his fumbling as everyone agrees. But I would take that risk in return for his big play ability.

On the surface, I would disagree with your opinion that the Yikes' offensive line has been better (both lines are pretty average I would say), but I'd be interested in any stats that you have to back your opinion up.

Advanced NFL Stats (Advanced NFL Stats) is a great website that I think you would enjoy if you haven't already checked it out.

Yes I know but again I was talking about LAST season. Peterson has had a better career obviously I dont think its even debatable. But again LAST season Grant had a higher per carry avg so I dont think Peterson is that much better than Grant as everyone who only watches SC seems to think. Petersons yards per carry has been dropping quite a bit every year, I have to wonder if thats going to continue.

And yes I know about the site, its been in my book marks for two years. Sadly one of my other fav sites just started charging for all their info.

Stats are pretty hard to come by as far as O line goes, but Hutchinson has a very strong case for HOF. Birk before he signed with Baltimore was a pretty consistent pro bowler. And McKinnie isnt all that bad as he made a pro bowl last season. He might be a little overrated though. Our starting tackles only have one pro bowl appearance between them I believe.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Grant's Carry Average - AP's Carry Average = 0.03880381

4.44326241 - 4.40445860 = 0.03880381

THIS IS THE NUMBER WE ARE ARGUING ABOUT IVO?!?! are you kidding me?? So the point you are trying to make is nothing it's a wash, you comparing them to the HUNDREDTH? less then 1.5 inch per carry difference, your 5th grade math has no bearing, comparing one back who is always getting the ball on the goal line vs one who won't...You can't measure talent by metrics, that's a fact IVO, but regardless the point you were trying to make is POINTLESS

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys were arguing over .04 yard avg difference between Grant and Peterson.

When you do your FF draft this year and both Grant and Peterson are available who are you taking?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe you guys were arguing over .04 yard avg difference between Grant and Peterson.

When you do your FF draft this year and both Grant and Peterson are available who are you taking?

I said if peterson is so much better why does grant have a higher carry avg last yr, which he disputed instead of getting a calculator. I just think Grant doesnt get the respect he deserves and Peterson gets a little too much.

FF and real ftball are very different. Michael Vick was one of the best FF players to have but I wouldnt have wanted him as a starting QB back in the day. But to answer your question I stay away from both for various reasons. Peterson because he keeps declining in yrds per carry and Grant because I dont like to stack my team with packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant's Carry Average - AP's Carry Average = 0.03880381

4.44326241 - 4.40445860 = 0.03880381

THIS IS THE NUMBER WE ARE ARGUING ABOUT IVO?!?! are you kidding me?? So the point you are trying to make is nothing it's a wash, you comparing them to the HUNDREDTH? less then 1.5 inch per carry difference, your 5th grade math has no bearing, comparing one back who is always getting the ball on the goal line vs one who won't...You can't measure talent by metrics, that's a fact IVO, but regardless the point you were trying to make is POINTLESS

Its a game of inches my friend, a game of inches

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Chris Johnson - Already got him.:yahoo:

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the calculator disputing .04 is useless to me, b/c the 2 backs are different...do you really want to go by simply yards per carry??? do you have any idea how many players are above that 4.4 average?? based on the point your making, Aaron Rodgers is a BETTER RUSHER THEN BOTH OF THEM let's make him our tailback then...you can't compare apples to oranges & like I said before TALENT is not measured by METRICS

it's a game of inches, I agree, guess what Peterson gets those inches when his number is called upon, I can't say I can rely on Grant to get those same inches Peterson can get

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Finally a discussion worth following ...

Errrr ...

Wait a minute ...

LOL !!!!

NOT !!!

Seriously ... come on ... - After all this time away ... this is the best you guys can do ? ...

:club:

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chris Johnson - Already got him.:yahoo:

I knew I should have put that in there that CJ was gone already because it is a consensus that he is going to be people's #1 pick.

YPC is an ok barometer but you cant solely rely on that number you do have to add in the amount of rushing TD's they had as well.

Members online

Latest posts