Whats with all the Crosby hate.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We need some ALEX HENERY, i say this kid gets drafted, and we should be the ones to do it

That'd be great, if we can get him with a 6th round pick or later. Given the unpredictable nature of kickers in general, you should never draft any higher than that.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'll find that nearly every kicker that ever played missed FGs in a few close games. That's just the way it is. Switching kickers will NOT change that.

BTW, I think you'll find that Crosby is responsible for all 9 points which beat the Jets this year.
Yet he still missed a FG that game...

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you'll find that nearly every kicker that ever played missed FGs in a few close games. That's just the way it is. Switching kickers will NOT change that.

BTW, I think you'll find that Crosby is responsible for all 9 points which beat the Jets this year.
One game. He has won us a single game, and he even missed a FG in that game. And I would say our Defense won us that game more than Crosbys leg. I dont get how people are getting hung up on him. Look at the stats, He has never had a FG Pct over 80 in his career, and has over the last 4 years gotten progressively worse. When looking at his Career in GB there are more shadows than light spots.

Green Bay Packers: Mason Crosby

DoubleC4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game. He has won us a single game, and he even missed a FG in that game. And I would say our Defense won us that game more than Crosbys leg. I dont get how people are getting hung up on him. Look at the stats, He has never had a FG Pct over 80 in his career, and has over the last 4 years gotten progressively worse. When looking at his Career in GB there are more shadows than light spots.

Also, that one game doesn't out weight how many games he has lost us. Unless you are a Colorado Alumni, I just don't see how anybody can like this guy on our team when he has definitely hurt us more than help us. Sure he can kick it 80 yards, but it wont go through the uprights.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There is your answer, Crosby scores all our points and you say the D won us the game, Who scored the points that won us the game? Mason did

YoKramer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is your answer, Crosby scores all our points and you say the D won us the game, Who scored the points that won us the game? Mason did
I didnt discount that he scored points Im saying we won because our Defense kept the Jets out of the Endzone and outside FG range. I would say it was a more impressive showing by our D than Crosby. Making 3 and missing 1 field goal with a long of 41 isnt anything to write home about for a GOOD NFL Kicker. Im sorry your blind love for the man is clouding your judgment. I figured Packer fans would be able to not fall in head over heals for a player after the Favre fiasco.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think, even if we win the SB, Slocum has to go, and if Crosby doesn't start playing lights out, he has to go too.

Agreed. Special teams needs to become a strength, not a weakness. Tired of giving up long kick and punt returns and not being able to pin anyone back inside the 10.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If it was the occasional miss, I wouldn't be up in arms over him. It's not though. Every season he misses kicks at crucial times, and rarely does he make them.

And you're right, he made three FG's against the Jets and got us the win. He did his job, and that was one of the rare times he didn't cost us. He still cost us a win against Washington and Chicago though, and he still missed a chip shot yesterday. One good game doesn't erase all the crappy games. Sorry, but it just doesn't.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just got to this thread, haven't read thru it.... but I will say this.

I like Crosby, and when you need a 60 yard FG, he's a guy who has the leg to get it there.

Him, Carpenter, SeBas, Bironas are probably the ones I'd want.

But the problem I have had with Crosby is he has LOST US GAMES BY MISSING HIS GAME-WINNING ATTEMPTS.

That's it.

I want kickers who simply put the damn ball thru the posts when it's at the end of the game.

Scott Norwood? He's haunted Bills fans for decades, and he made Bill Parcells into a legend by his wide right.

Adam Vinitieri? His clutch kicks made Belichick and Brady into geniuses. Had he been Norwood, Brady and Little Bill are just guys and wouldn't have any rings.

Crosby cost us the Redskin game this year. I know he's cost us a couple more with choke misses late, including at Minnesota in 2008. I know it was a 50+ yarder, but he has the leg for those easily. He just needs to kick him straight when games are on the line.

White92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consider it this way: yes he's young and yes he has potential. But potential for what? If he has potential to kick it out of the back of the end zone 75% of the time and make 50 yard field goals if the situation is there, do we forgive the chip shots that he misses and the kickoffs that fly out of the end zone? How long do we wait for consistency? I'd much rather have a consistent kicker who can't hit long shots but makes all of his short ones.

I was just talking with a co worker about this. Robbie Gould deosn't have the "big leg", but he almost never misses the easy ones. I'd much rather have a guy like that. At least you know what you've got..

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly Rizzo...we need a kicker you can depend on. The two games that he cost us this year plus if you remember the early games from last year..plus wouldnt it be nice to have a guy that can kick off into the endzone?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Exactly. For the most part, those are FG's that every kicker should be making. They weren't necessarily clutch, game winning field goals, but they won us the game because our defense didn't let the Jets score. I'd be livid if he was missing those. A kicker's job is to make field goals, and inside 40 yards should be guaranteed. I mean, it's pretty much all the guy has done for his entire life. He should be making those kicks.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus after watching him look up at the replay on the jumbotron yesterday after he missed that kick was almost too much to bear...like that was going to help him get better. I say adios. I liked the kicker San Fran had who was just signed...big ol pot belly..just like the rest of us couch potatoes..

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Just got to this thread, haven't read thru it.... but I will say this.

I like Crosby, and when you need a 60 yard FG, he's a guy who has the leg to get it there.

Him, Carpenter, SeBas, Bironas are probably the ones I'd want.

But the problem I have had with Crosby is he has LOST US GAMES BY MISSING HIS GAME-WINNING ATTEMPTS.

That's it.

I want kickers who simply put the damn ball thru the posts when it's at the end of the game.

Scott Norwood? He's haunted Bills fans for decades, and he made Bill Parcells into a legend by his wide right.

Adam Vinitieri? His clutch kicks made Belichick and Brady into geniuses. Had he been Norwood, Brady and Little Bill are just guys and wouldn't have any rings.

Crosby cost us the Redskin game this year. I know he's cost us a couple more with choke misses late, including at Minnesota in 2008. I know it was a 50+ yarder, but he has the leg for those easily. He just needs to kick him straight when games are on the line.
Add Janikowski to that list.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it was the occasional miss, I wouldn't be up in arms over him. It's not though. Every season he misses kicks at crucial times, and rarely does he make them.

And you're right, he made three FG's against the Jets and got us the win. He did his job, and that was one of the rare times he didn't cost us. He still cost us a win against Washington and Chicago though, and he still missed a chip shot yesterday. One good game doesn't erase all the crappy games. Sorry, but it just doesn't.

So where is this mythical kicker who never misses in close games? Does he have a name?

BTW, anyone who calls a 29 yard FG in the wind a "chip shot" has probably a) never kicked, and/or b) never played golf.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do me a favor and don't parse my words or exaggerate. I never once said I expect him to be flawless, though it would be nice. Flawless is an unrealistic expectation.

Crosby just doesn't make the big kicks. I'm sorry, but he's come up short every single time since week one in 2007, when he made his only game-winning field goal. He's had multiple opportunity to make other game winners, or to get us a tie, but he's failed on every single one of them.

And I don't care if there was wind or not. Plenty of kickers make 29 yard kicks in the wind. It's what he gets paid for. Make the damn kick.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks a kicker exists that is guaranteed to hit every game-winning FG and never misses under 40 yards is a blooming idiot.

YOU'RE ALL LIVING IN LA-LA LAND.

You keep bringing comparisons to guys like Vinatieri, Vanderjagt, Hanson, etc.

You might as well complain that we should cut all of our running backs because none of them are Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Chris Johnson, or Jim Taylor.

The bottom line is I don't care what kicker you bring to Lambeau. HE WILL MISS FGs.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks a kicker exists that is guaranteed to hit every game-winning FG and never misses under 40 yards is a blooming idiot.

You might as well complain that we should cut all of our running backs because none of them are Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Chris Johnson, or Jim Taylor.

The bottom line is I don't care what kicker you bring to Lambeau. HE WILL MISS FGs.

I don't think that is what people are trying to say. If that was the case we should send Starks to the ACME Meet Packing Company because he doesn't run like Emmitt Smith.

I don't expect perfection from Crosby but if he misses a 29 yard FG or costs us several games people are gonna get on his case. It's football, Crosby is hardly alone I think almost all the players have been on our list at one time.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, but he'll miss LESS.

That is the key. Missing less, and missing less when it matters.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do me a favor and don't parse my words or exaggerate. I never once said I expect him to be flawless, though it would be nice. Flawless is an unrealistic expectation.

Crosby just doesn't make the big kicks. I'm sorry, but he's come up short every single time since week one in 2007, when he made his only game-winning field goal. He's had multiple opportunity to make other game winners, or to get us a tie, but he's failed on every single one of them.

Sorry, but that's a flat out lie. We've tied games on FGs plenty of times.

And I don't care if there was wind or not. Plenty of kickers make 29 yard kicks in the wind.

Like Crosby?

Every single kicker misses occasionally.

BTW, this was the first kick under 30 yards that Crosby has ever missed. In the same time period, Vinatieri has also missed one. Bironas has missed two. Hanson has missed one. Bryant has missed one. Vanderjagt missed 3 of them in his career. I guess we should cut Crosby for missing that 29 yarder so we can get a guy who never misses those!

It's what he gets paid for. Make the damn kick.

That's the same as saying to your RBs, "I don't care if there are 8 guys in the box, pick up those 5 damn yards." and then screaming to cut them as soon as they don't. After all, that's what they get paid for, right?

Members online

Latest posts