What's Happened to the Green Bay Packers?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks AZpackerbacker,

Regarding the D, jsonline has a good story about it getting pressure rushing just 4. Yes the D struggled to get off the field the last couple of series against Detroit (without Clay and the offense did the D no favors) but we've seen 6 consecutive quarters of pretty good play by the D.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...with-four-man-rush-b99359594z1-277342501.html
The streak ended at 6. The defensive line looks like garbage again today.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope to God the Packers win today.....but if they don't......what are the apologists going to say? When do you address the problems? All you had to do is listen to the call in program after the game last week, and the consensus of all the calls were people expressing their disapproval, especially with the offense. We have become accustomed to bad or mediocre defensive play, so when the defense plays ok......the offense surely sputters. We don't have WRs, except for Jordy that can get separation. Running game is horrible. And absolutely no TE to speak of. I don't sound like a Bears fan, I am a 40 plus year Packers fan that went through the crap of the 70s and 80s, and don't really feel like repeating that over again.....lol.

I have stated a few times it was the def front lines we were facing that caused the issues....We played to of them in their house...and the Jets we adjusted and did well..

relax

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope to God the Packers win today.....but if they don't......what are the apologists going to say? When do you address the problems? All you had to do is listen to the call in program after the game last week, and the consensus of all the calls were people expressing their disapproval, especially with the offense. We have become accustomed to bad or mediocre defensive play, so when the defense plays ok......the offense surely sputters. We don't have WRs, except for Jordy that can get separation. Running game is horrible. And absolutely no TE to speak of. I don't sound like a Bears fan, I am a 40 plus year Packers fan that went through the crap of the 70s and 80s, and don't really feel like repeating that over again.....lol.

1-2 to repeating two decades of awful? Might be a little overreaction...

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya...I'll repeat it...r-e-l-a-x.

we have THE BEST qb in the nfl. let's enjoy it for god's sake!!!!!!!!

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya...I'll repeat it...r-e-l-a-x.

we have THE BEST qb in the nfl. let's enjoy it for god's sake!!!!!!!!
Gotta give credit to Ridfers and the offense. Even Lacy made a few good runs.

On the other side, without the poor clock management prior to the half by the Bears and, once again, a Culter meltdown in the 3rd, the game would not have been a blowout.

The run defense again got gashed.

You gotta take the positives away from a big win. However, the defense looks marginal.

Have to stay focused on the Vikings. Playing surprising well today.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta give credit to Ridfers and the offense. Even Lacy made a few good runs.

On the other side, without the poor clock management prior to the half by the Bears and, once again, a Culter meltdown in the 3rd, the game would not have been a blowout.

The run defense again got gashed.

You gotta take the positives away from a big win. However, the defense looks marginal.

Have to stay focused on the Vikings. Playing surprising well today.

How many points in 1st half for the bears...How many turnovers for the Pack def in the 1st half?

Now--how many turnovers in 2nd half and how many points given up?

Was the melt down only cuz jay is an idiot, or the def caused him to be an idiot

The def looked horrible 1st half, but the 2nd half they did something

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many points in 1st half for the bears...How many turnovers for the Pack def in the 1st half?

It's a big win as said. Agree the D can up big with turnovers. Likely, without the leg issue, Matthews scores and the Shields return was awesome.

Still have to admit, without the issue the Bears had to end the 1st half and without another Cutler trainwreck, the game would have been a lot closer.

If you think the D played a reasonable game, no problem. I'm just saying I still have concerns.

Very happy the O bounced back like Rodgers predicted.

Need to stay focused for the Vikes. Playing ATL very tough.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a big win as said. Agree the D can up big with turnovers. Likely, without the leg issue, Matthews scores and the Shields return was awesome.

Still have to admit, without the issue the Bears had to end the 1st half and without another Cutler trainwreck, the game would have been a lot closer.

If you think the D played a reasonable game, no problem. I'm just saying I still have concerns.

Very happy the O bounced back like Rodgers predicted.

Need to stay focused for the Vikes. Playing ATL very tough.

I know there are worries, I dont like the way they allow runs of 5-10 yards per pop..or that Pepper and Clay arent really doing anything special yet..

I think we get those two on fire, then this defense should rise up.

Im not "delusional" in thinking all is well..

We had a stop at the goal line by a hair..And another red zone stop..Then all 2nd half adjustments that led to no points..No one wants to give the def props for that, only say Jay screwed it.

I think people should at least be able to acknowledge that for the last 10 quarters this defense has given up about 15 points per game...( 32 total from 2nd half of Jets game--- total of 10 quarters--3.2 per quarter, 12.8 per 4 quarters)

Again, was it adjustments that led to the def not allowing any score? Jay flopping??

I say a bit of both, but some have a hard time giving props

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there are worries, I dont like the way they allow runs of 5-10 yards per pop..or that Pepper and Clay arent really doing anything special yet..

I think we get those two on fire, then this defense should rise up.

Im not "delusional" in thinking all is well..

We had a stop at the goal line by a hair..And another red zone stop..Then all 2nd half adjustments that led to no points..No one wants to give the def props for that, only say Jay screwed it.

I think people should at least be able to acknowledge that for the last 10 quarters this defense has given up about 15 points per game...( 32 total from 2nd half of Jets game--- total of 10 quarters--3.2 per quarter, 12.8 per 4 quarters)

Again, was it adjustments that led to the def not allowing any score? Jay flopping??

I say a bit of both, but some have a hard time giving props
I'm with ya. You take the huge win and review the film. Nice to see Jones get a sack and you have to give credit for the turnovers--They were both big.

Very happy to Rodgers see smiling and reasonably spreading the ball around. He, as usual, had a great performance against the Bears D. And I don't care if they were banged up.

Only thing missing today was maybe better run blocking and pass rush.

3-2 within reach--Feels a lot better than 1-2!

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
let's go lay a beat down on the queens and get on a roll. I think the only team that stops our offense from here on out is OUR offense!

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was the melt down only cuz jay is an idiot, or the def caused him to be an idiot

Any defense that gives up 500 yards of offense, allows 33 first downs (14 passing 16 rushing plus 2 on penalty) is far from adequate. We won the game with an offense that scored on an even more porous defense, instead of turning the ball over.

Coming into the game the Bears had the worst rushing game in the NFL. They probably would have kept the game close if they had simply kept running the ball. But then, they were moving the ball through the air against us just as well.

Rogers was magnificent against a horrible defense. Cutler was Cutler against a defense almost as bad. Williams made a nice play on the ball that Mathews intercepted. The other interception went to the corner instead of to Marshall who was behind him and would have had a TD if it had gotten to him.

Cutler is the best thing the Bears could have given to the Packers.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Bud, of course you have concerns about the defense, we all do, but just enjoy the win. Even I as a European who never played the game per se, knows there are problems with either the scheme, the coach, or indeed the personnel, but yesterday I barely slept with nerves about this game, but we came through and won. Just enjoy it because Thursday is going to be a whole lot harder.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a bit of a strange game, but I expected a high scoring game(took the over). The days of 13-10 take turns punching each other in the face games between these two are over, I guess.
Happy with the win, but it was basically Rodgers to Cobb and Nelson, and good pass pro. The defense and running game are still bad.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, I think it's a mix of injuries, mediocre drafts, and slumping players. Clinton-Dix I think has the makings of a good starting safety for us, but previous first rounders after Matthews and Raji did not live up to their draft position due to play, injury, or whatever else and even Raji's been mediocre since our Super Bowl win.

Bulaga has been a good replacement at RT since taking over for Tauscher, but has missed significant stretches due to injury.
Sherrod missed two years after breaking his leg as a rookie, and has looked like it in the snaps he's played this year.
Perry has been OK when healthy, but the Peppers signing was a clear sign another pass rusher was needed.
Jones is pretty much a starter now that he's healthy and had a nice sack yesterday, but I'd say the jury is still out, but all signs point to him being a good long term contributor on the DL.

Our defensive line has pretty much been completely overhauled this season, for better or worse, after Raji going on IR and TT not bringing Pickett and Jolly back. A lot of younger guys being asked to step up, and I think it's shown some in our first four games. Some have made a few good plays, but they got pushed around pretty badly yesterday by Chicago giving up huge chunks of yards on the ground. Given the personnel changes, I'm not surprised at the defensive inconsistency. If we make the playoffs and don't make it past the divisional round again, I think McCarthy can't sit still with his current coaching staff. Changes will need to be made like after 2008.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, I think it's a mix of injuries, mediocre drafts, and slumping players. Clinton-Dix I think has the makings of a good starting safety for us, but previous first rounders after Matthews and Raji did not live up to their draft position due to play, injury, or whatever else and even Raji's been mediocre since our Super Bowl win.

Bulaga has been a good replacement at RT since taking over for Tauscher, but has missed significant stretches due to injury.
Sherrod missed two years after breaking his leg as a rookie, and has looked like it in the snaps he's played this year.
Perry has been OK when healthy, but the Peppers signing was a clear sign another pass rusher was needed.
Jones is pretty much a starter now that he's healthy and had a nice sack yesterday, but I'd say the jury is still out, but all signs point to him being a good long term contributor on the DL.

Our defensive line has pretty much been completely overhauled this season, for better or worse, after Raji going on IR and TT not bringing Pickett and Jolly back. A lot of younger guys being asked to step up, and I think it's shown some in our first four games. Some have made a few good plays, but they got pushed around pretty badly yesterday by Chicago giving up huge chunks of yards on the ground. Given the personnel changes, I'm not surprised at the defensive inconsistency. If we make the playoffs and don't make it past the divisional round again, I think McCarthy can't sit still with his current coaching staff. Changes will need to be made like after 2008.

I'd add that TT is going to have to step out of his philosophy/comfort zone and be more aggresive in getting players.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since 2011 they have gone 11-5 in 2012 which is a pretty typical season in this era. Went 8-7-1 with their 3rd string and street FA QB starting half the year. They've still been in the playoffs every year since 2008.

They laid an egg against the eventual champs in 2011 and have had trouble getting over the hump against the 49ers. You'd like to see that turn around, but they've been the model of consistency for being in the hunt and giving themselves a shot every single year.

Nothing to see here.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since 2011 they have gone 11-5 in 2012 which is a pretty typical season in this era. Went 8-7-1 with their 3rd string and street FA QB starting half the year. They've still been in the playoffs every year since 2008.

They laid an egg against the eventual champs in 2011 and have had trouble getting over the hump against the 49ers. You'd like to see that turn around, but they've been the model of consistency for being in the hunt and giving themselves a shot every single year.

Nothing to see here.
The clock is ticking on the major factor that they have been a model of consistency for nearly 25 years. An HOF QB. Give Rodgers some support.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its just an opinion... I just think that MM is of the opion that while Philbin was an excellent coach he was a coach in MM's system and is therefore replaceable....next man up. I just think he overvalues and overrates his "system".
I understand and I agree with most of what you said. The part above troubles me. I have no problem in him believing in his system. I want that. I just don't subscribe to the theory that McCarthy somehow felt Philbin was replaceable. With good conscience, you can't really keep good coaches down if they want to ascend. With that in mind, you have to go with the next man up mentality and work to have a good system for replacement - both for coaches and the players. It doesn't always work the way you want it to, but in general I think that it's better than always finding a replacement coach/player outside of your system. Bringing in high level replacements is a risky business.

Members online

Latest posts