What's Happened to the Green Bay Packers?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
The article offers a bunch of fancy stats that pretty much state what many fans are starting to believe. I had not realized that since the upset loss in the playoffs after the 15-1 season, the Packers have gone 21-17-1.

It's amazing how mediocrity creeps up on you...

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand the Packers are 17-8 over the last 25 games Rodgers has started and been able to finish for a .680 winning percentage which is pretty good.
Yes, but with 1 and 2 record in the playoffs--the one win coming against a Vikings team without a QB. We have a long way to go to be a dominating team, it appears to me. And I'm not blaming Rogers, who I'd take over any other QB in the league.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have a long way to go to be a dominating team, it appears to me. And I'm not blaming Rogers, who I'd take over any other QB in the league.

Absolutely agree that we don´t look like a Super Bowl contender at the moment.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No, we don't look anything like a Super Bowl contender. We look like a 9-7, 10-6 team that will probably sneak into the playoffs and end up back in Seattle and get our face kicked in. Which kind of sucks cause it would be nice to get a lower draft pick for once.

D

Deleted member 6794

No, we don't look anything like a Super Bowl contender. We look like a 9-7, 10-6 team that will probably sneak into the playoffs and end up back in Seattle and get our face kicked in. Which kind of sucks cause it would be nice to get a lower draft pick for once.

I'd rather make the playoffs as anything can happen if the team gets hot at the right moment.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'd rather make the playoffs as anything can happen if the team gets hot at the right moment.

The only chance of something like that happening I could see at this point is for the defense to continue to get better and get to the level of the 2010 D and yes, offense gets hot at end of year heading into playoffs.

That seems to be the hope.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think this offense really misses Philbin. I don't think that MM thinks the offense misses Philin.

I never thought I would be saying this but I tend to agree to that. People talk about the game passing Capers by but I think you can potentially add MM to that group. And Yeah, MM cant let his hands off the control button.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2010 there were many posters calling for TTs and MMs head. Up through the middle of the season. It is way too soon to call tthis a trend.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Rodgers says "Relax" ... at least for the Bears game. Once Lacy ups his game, sure we'll be back on track.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this offense really misses Philbin. I don't think that MM thinks the offense misses Philin.
Is this backed up by evidence or ignorance? I think that most people agree that Philbin was a big part of this team, but he wasn't cast aside by Green Bay and I've never read anything indicating that McCarthy believes that we are better without Philbin. Just as within the organization, the Packers organization encourages coaches and staff to grow and seek better job opportunities. It's happened a lot in the personnel department as has been discussed at length, but coaches leave too when things like head coaching jobs pop up.

I think that McCarthy is doing his best without Philbin. What's probably more apparent is that McCarthy needs another Philbin to really make the offense run on all cylinders.

That said, I absolutely agree with Amish that this team has the potential to strike it hot for a Super Bowl run. The talent and coaches are there. A recent NFL spin poll shows Green Bay as a top team projected over the next five years:
http://nflspinzone.com/2014/09/25/32-nfl-teams-graded-five-year-potential-2015-2019/

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its just an opinion.

I think Philbin was an important part of the offensive scheming and game plan and player preparation. I just think that MM is of the opion that while Philbin was an excellent coach he was a coach in MM's system and is therefore replaceable....next man up. I just think he overvalues and overrates his "system". Having a form of checks and balances with an offensive mind like Philbin is what MM has to have around him IMO. .........and I am also not trying to say that this team sucks and everything is awful. I just think they have a far higher ceiling than they are playing to right now. They will be above average as is but I think they could be great.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The decline, in my opinion, is related to the obvious draft issues over the time frame. Some will say GB drafts lower on the board. Some will claim injuries have been the issue. Some will convey that it takes a few years for rookies to have an impact. I say gutterball to all the excuses.

The GB draft has been marginal at best during this time period. In addition, TT will mostly stand by his draft choices through their initial contracts regardless of performance. He also is enamored by being one of the youngest teams in the NFL.

Draft and develop works if the draft choices have the intended impact. If they don't, you are a .500 team even if you have one if the best QB's in the league.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What happened was Rodgers missed half a season, which caused their overall record to drop.
Many complaining now that the issue is Rodgers which is unfortunate. This team just doesn't have the breadth of talent because the draft has been an issue and we make a limited play in FA with the exception of UFA's.

Watershed game against the Bears. If you lose, you are 1-3 and 0-3 against the conference.

D

Deleted member 6794

The GB draft has been marginal at best during this time period. In addition, TT will mostly stand by his draft choices through their initial contracts regardless of performance. He also is enamored by being one of the youngest teams in the NFL.

I agree with some of the latest draft classes being marginal but it's just not true that Thompson holds on to his picks regardless of performance (only 6 guys out of 18 picks from 2011 and '12 still on the team).

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with some of the latest draft classes being marginal but it's just not true that Thompson holds on to his picks regardless of performance (only 6 guys out of 18 picks from 2011 and '12 still on the team).
I stand by my comments. Weakness in the current roster is a function poor drafting and the thinking that draft and develop and UFA's is the foundation of a SB contending team.

TT has an elite QB and this is why GB has a chance every year. We saw those results last year. Rodgers goes down, so does the winning percentage.

TT gets credit for bringing in Peppers. However, when you see gaps in talent that aren't filled by the draft, you have to go to FA. See Ron Wolf, Seattle, SF. This is particularly necessary when you have an elite QB.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
In 2010 there were many posters calling for TTs and MMs head. Up through the middle of the season. It is way too soon to call tthis a trend.

I was thinking the same, especially since I predicted a 1-2 start to this season anyhow. But, the 21-17-1 record over the past 39 games is what surprised me. I hadn't realized how different this was versus 15-1 during the season before and 19-1 during the peak run (Playoffs+SB+following season).

Yes, Rodgers was hurt for 7 games. That didn't help. But, 21-17-1. That's a big enough sample size for me to call it a trend of mediocrity. Just my opinion.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking the same, especially since I predicted a 1-2 start to this season anyhow. But, the 21-17-1 record over the past 39 games is what surprised me. I hadn't realized how different this was versus 15-1 during the season before and 19-1 during the peak run (Playoffs+SB+following season).

Yes, Rodgers was hurt for 7 games. That didn't help. But, 21-17-1. That's a big enough sample size for me to call it a trend of mediocrity. Just my opinion.
What do you think the record would be if Rodgers played all 7 games that he missed? Or better yet, if never got hurt? To me, he is playing differently than pre-injury. Less likely to run and he seems to be just a tad off on his throws. To me, if he didn't get hurt, maybe this team has a 5 game swing and are 26-12-1. Thats a pretty good record in my book. Certainly good enough to be considered elite and a strong SB candidate.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you think the record would be if Rodgers played all 7 games that he missed? Or better yet, if never got hurt? To me, he is playing differently than pre-injury. Less likely to run and he seems to be just a tad off on his throws. To me, if he didn't get hurt, maybe this team has a 5 game swing and are 26-12-1. Thats a pretty good record in my book. Certainly good enough to be considered elite and a strong SB candidate.
What if Rodgers had not fallen in the draft and he wouldn't be on the GB roster? Really doesn't matter, does it?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rodger hurt or not hurt this team hasn't been able to consistently put it together for awhile now. There just always seems to be something missing. Either its the defense or MM's play calling or we can't run the ball and now it's Rodgers is off.

Whether it's fair or not this ultimately falls on the head coach. I suppose you could of looked at the schedule and 1-2 wouldn't be that big of surprise. I think the surprise is how bad that 1-2 really has been.

The Bears aren't that good and there beat up. Now Jarred Allen is sick. If we don't win this game it won't be good.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodger hurt or not hurt this team hasn't been able to consistently put it together for awhile now. There just always seems to be something missing. Either its the defense or MM's play calling or we can't run the ball and now it's Rodgers is off.

Whether it's fair or not this ultimately falls on the head coach. I suppose you could of looked at the schedule and 1-2 wouldn't be that big of surprise. I think the surprise is how bad that 1-2 really has been.
Overall talent?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Overall talent?

IMO it is not a talent issue. I believe this team is loaded with talent.

Offense: Best QB in the game that is in his "prime years". ROY at running back with a great complimentary back "Starks". Elite receiver "Jordy". A big play waiting to happen receiver "Cobb" (who is being miss-used by the way). Other talented receivers in Adams, Boykin, Janis. Not a dominant offensive line but a talented one across the board.

This offense is loaded. How much more talent do you need? Does MM need pro bowlers at every position for his offense to work? I"ll bet you a guy like Chip Kelly would have this offense "humming".

The defensive secondary is loaded. One of the deepest in the NFL. Were loaded at outside linebacker. Got two HOF's out there with talented back up guys. D-line is solid with Daniels and Jones, Boyd.

The only spots on the roster I see an upgrade needed is ILB and TE. TE might be an issue of we have the guy he just needs to develop. We even have a long ball accurate kicker.

Last edited: