What ya think about TT???

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They´ll always be a contender as long as Rodgers is the QB and is able to stay healthy. But they could be a way better team if they would have more overall talent on their roster. And I think there would be GM candidates out there capable of improving the talent level on this team and therefore improve the Packers chances to win another Super Bowl with 12.

Exactly. It doesn't hurt to add more talent to this roster to help Rodgers. TT went prodominantly defense but seeing how that didn't work? maybe we need to take the New England approach and go back to just trying to outscore people. 40-30

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that if you put a younger smart minded gm and dc in place, you would see this team improve. I am not looking through kool aid glasses at this team right now. Injuries are one thing, but not being able to coach up back ups is quite another. that is not on Thompson, that is on capers. Burnett, Perry, Raji, Neal, Jones, etc is on tt. The question is, whom is in TT's ear during draft time regarding the D. Someone has to be telling him to pick defensively. This is the problemed individual, and don't be surprised if he is one of MM's "boys". The blind bullheaded loyalty rears its ugly head, so to speak.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson for whatever reason has had more success on the offensive side. He seems to do well particularly with skilled players. The guys he has drafted on defense other than Matthews haven't shown much. Most of the guys are in their first or second year so they could still develop. When you start getting into the third and fourth year and they haven't alarm bells start going off. I don't know if the guys are bad draft choices or if it is poor coaching.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that if you put a younger smart minded gm and dc in place, you would see this team improve. I am not looking through kool aid glasses at this team right now. Injuries are one thing, but not being able to coach up back ups is quite another. that is not on Thompson, that is on capers. Burnett, Perry, Raji, Neal, Jones, etc is on tt. The question is, whom is in TT's ear during draft time regarding the D. Someone has to be telling him to pick defensively. This is the problemed individual, and don't be surprised if he is one of MM's "boys". The blind bullheaded loyalty rears its ugly head, so to speak.

So you're saying that TT is only in charge of the offensive side of the draft? I don't think that's what you meant but you specifically state that someone is telling TT who to pick defensively. There's a reason that Capers is the defensive coordinator and Thompson is the GM. Capers can tell Thompson what TYPES of players he likes and he may watch a little film (nothing though compared to scouts) but the scouting staff and Thompson are fully responsible for the player selections. How much free time do you really think Capers has during the year to evaluate draft prospects? This whole concept that the DC has a bunch of input into draft selections is ridiculous. No GM should allow a defensive coordinator, who spends ALL his waking hours evaluating film of his current players and their opponents, to have any more than minimal input into the draft process.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson for whatever reason has had more success on the offensive side. He seems to do well particularly with skilled players. The guys he has drafted on defense other than Matthews haven't shown much. Most of the guys are in their first or second year so they could still develop. When you start getting into the third and fourth year and they haven't alarm bells start going off. I don't know if the guys are bad draft choices or if it is poor coaching.

Doubt it's poor coaching since guys like Matthews, Daniels, Shields and Burnett (despite a poor year he was trending very well) have done well. I can also look back on the picks that have left the Packers and latched on to other teams and see that they're not exactly excelling in other locations.

I would say that Thompson's biggest weakness so far has been his drafting of players on either line. For whatever reason, he hasn't had much success with oline or dline. Bulaga looked to be a great player at RT but he's only had one great season there so it's not assured. To be honest, Daniels looks like the best line pick that Thompson has made in his career in Green Bay.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So you're saying that TT is only in charge of the offensive side of the draft? I don't think that's what you meant but you specifically state that someone is telling TT who to pick defensively. There's a reason that Capers is the defensive coordinator and Thompson is the GM. Capers can tell Thompson what TYPES of players he likes and he may watch a little film (nothing though compared to scouts) but the scouting staff and Thompson are fully responsible for the player selections. How much free time do you really think Capers has during the year to evaluate draft prospects? This whole concept that the DC has a bunch of input into draft selections is ridiculous. No GM should allow a defensive coordinator, who spends ALL his waking hours evaluating film of his current players and their opponents, to have any more than minimal input into the draft process.

Of course TT and his scouts are responsible for the draft. And if you ignore all other ways to acquire player you have to do a better job than Thompson has in ´11 and ´12.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt it's poor coaching since guys like Matthews, Daniels, Shields and Burnett (despite a poor year he was trending very well) have done well. I can also look back on the picks that have left the Packers and latched on to other teams and see that they're not exactly excelling in other locations.

I would say that Thompson's biggest weakness so far has been his drafting of players on either line. For whatever reason, he hasn't had much success with oline or dline. Bulaga looked to be a great player at RT but he's only had one great season there so it's not assured. To be honest, Daniels looks like the best line pick that Thompson has made in his career in Green Bay.
I agree that drafting on the lines hasn't worked well. A healthy Bulaga and Sherrod might change that all around but that's the offensive side.

Totally disagree with you on Burnett. Shields by the way wasn't a draft choice.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-up-to-his-billing-b99148358z1-233187351.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that drafting on the lines hasn't worked well. A healthy Bulaga and Sherrod might change that all around but that's the offensive side.

Totally disagree with you on Burnett. Shields by the way wasn't a draft choice.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...-up-to-his-billing-b99148358z1-233187351.html

Totally agree with you on Burnett. He has been a major disappointment this season and TT´s decision not to add another safety this season was a huge mistake.

BTW, Shields turned out to be a really good addition as an undrafted rookie, but he´s not an elite CB either.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whomever the OL/DL scouts are that are evaluating on the lines need to be called to task. You can't miss that many times, not in the Not for long league.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They´ll always be a contender as long as Rodgers is the QB and is able to stay healthy. But they could be a way better team if they would have more overall talent on their roster. And I think there would be GM candidates out there capable of improving the talent level on this team and therefore improve the Packers chances to win another Super Bowl with 12.

There are a lot more GMs that are never successful as well. Yes, the team could have more talent, but to expect more than building a perennial contender is unrealistic. Considering most GMs are unable to do that, moving on from Ted would be a huge risk that is not worth taking.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

There are a lot more GMs that are never successful as well. Yes, the team could have more talent, but to expect more than building a perennial contender is unrealistic. Considering most GMs are unable to do that, moving on from Ted would be a huge risk that is not worth taking.

Sorry, but TT is not the reason the Packers are a perennial contender. Aaron Rodgers is!!! And he´s doing that although the talent level on this team (aside from the QB position of course) is not as good as the talent on most other NFL teams.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Who should have been the back up then? All the all pros waiting around to be signed? Harrell and Coleman didn't work out. That happens in the league. Players don't pan out sometimes.

Great observation. Do note that when you wait until the opening day coin toss, generally most of the QBs are spoken for. Its not TTs fault that other teams choose to sign backup QB before the season starts.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Id agree based on results. The offense has outperformed the defense, but other than AR this isn't true. Our Oline has sucked since he dismantled the one he was handed. We hav NEVER had a running game (Grant? Please). Other than Finley, who has been at best inconsistent, we only have wide outs. I believe that a good QB can make average WR look good. (Ex.A Favre).

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, you are going to judge TT's running game over 7 years, by what Lacy has done in 9 games. You need to start a thread titled. "under TT the packers have had the best rushing team in the NFL"
You said we have NEVER had a running game. I think we have one now.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but TT is not the reason the Packers are a perennial contender. Aaron Rodgers is!!! And he´s doing that although the talent level on this team (aside from the QB position of course) is not as good as the talent on most other NFL teams.

Ted drafted Rodgers afters 20+ teams passed. At least give him credit for his successes.

Also, didn't the Packers go to the NFC championship without Rodgers? Yes, they had Favre, but they also had Favre for nearly 10 previous seasons and never got there.

The Packers went 4-12 to NFC Championship quickly then 6-10 to Super Bowl champs. To move on because of five bad games without Rodgers is irrational. What makes you think Ted won't turn it around this time?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With out AR, TT takes your order, MM makes your burger

Seriously, you are going to judge TT's running game over 7 years, by what Lacy has done in 9 games. You need to start a thread titled. "under TT the packers have had the best rushing team in the NFL"

So Bus, we can judge TT negatively due to 5 games, but can't judge him positively due to 9 games?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted drafted Rodgers afters 20+ teams passed. At least give him credit for his successes.

Also, didn't the Packers go to the NFC championship without Rodgers? Yes, they had Favre, but they also had Favre for nearly 10 previous seasons and never got there.

The Packers went 4-12 to NFC Championship quickly then 6-10 to Super Bowl champs. To move on because of five bad games without Rodgers is irrational. What makes you think Ted won't turn it around this time?

Good points Carl...but the biggest issue is the defense. He drafted alot of defense and we still suck on that side of the ball. Is he going to go 90% defense next yr to? Same thing can be said about the o-line.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, just for the record, TT took over a team that went to the playoffs in 2004 and went 4-12 in his first season after one of his first moves was releasing Darren Sharper, who in retrospect, had still some good seasons in him. Maybe he´s just not good in evaluating safeties after all.

I think this team will turn it around as soon as Aaron Rodgers is healthy again. But, in my opinion this team doesn´t have enough talent to win the Super Bowl even with the best player in the entire league. And taking a look back at the drafts of 2011 and 2012 it doesn´t seem like TT has improved this team as much as all of us would have liked. And if you don´t acquire players any other way it´s important to hit on some of these draft picks.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points Carl...but the biggest issue is the defense. He drafted alot of defense and we still suck on that side of the ball. Is he going to go 90% defense next yr to? Same thing can be said about the o-line.

He might and maybe they'll still end up bad on defense, but to me he's earned the benefit of the doubt that he'll turn the team around just like he already has twice.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that if Capers 'Retires' this offseason and we bring in a new DC - you will be amazed at how good some of TT's defensive draft picks suddenly look.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, just for the record, TT took over a team that went to the playoffs in 2004 and went 4-12 in his first season after one of his first moves was releasing Darren Sharper, who in retrospect, had still some good seasons in him. Maybe he´s just not good in evaluating safeties after all.

I think this team will turn it around as soon as Aaron Rodgers is healthy again. But, in my opinion this team doesn´t have enough talent to win the Super Bowl even with the best player in the entire league. And taking a look back at the drafts of 2011 and 2012 it doesn´t seem like TT has improved this team as much as all of us would have liked. And if you don´t acquire players any other way it´s important to hit on some of these draft picks.

Teams don't go from playoffs to 4-12 by losing a safety. Ted just took over after Sherman was awful at drafting for years and it finally caught up to the team. Even if that season was Ted's fault, which I don't think it is, my point is he turned the team around quickly.

It's say one or two years after a draft class is too early to deem many high picks a bust. Some picks are looking good like Lacy, Bahktiari, maybe Lattimore, and Hayward (assuming his hamstring ends up healing eventually). Yes, I'm a saying some guys are good early, but for now they are good.

We'll have to disagree that the team doesn't have enough talent to win it all even with Rodgers. I think they can.

Members online

Latest posts