What would be this season's catchphrase?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm all over with this one. Is it talent selection? Is it just bad circumstances they haven't been able to overcome? is it underutilized or mismanaged talent, ie capers?

Last years draft is too soon to really guage, but I think Kenny Clark is going to be good. I think Fackerell can be a situational guy with good leverage, I like martinez and Lowery for the positions they were picked. I don't think there's a lack of "talent" from that draft.

the previous draft, the big question is on randall and rollins. are going to build on the 1st year success or sink with last years performance? I see talent in both those guys. They also looked a lot different last year than the previous. These 2 picks are going to go a long ways in defining our defense one way or the other. But Jake Ryan has been becoming a nice ILB, especially coming from the 4th round? I don't see a lack of talent. I saw injury and maybe a guy out of position.

3 years we had Clinton Dix, who is a very solid player and Thorton was a slug. bad pick, though he seemed to have the physical tools on paper, he obviously didn't have it on the field. only other guy from that draft are Ringo and Goodson and Goodson can be gone already as soon as someone takes his special teams spot this year and I can see Ringo being just a decent rotation guy, but at a 6th rounder what else do you expect?

and before that we had Datone, who imo has the skills and has flashed, but has been so inconsistent it's hard to argue he was a worthy pick. I do take issue with the argument he didn't have talent, because if you watched him last year you could see he did. But horribly inconsistent. can't say he was a great pick, but I can see why he was chosen. But then we didn't have another defender chosen until the 5th round in Hyde and he was a very solid player. He wasn't worth keeping at 6-7 million per year, but a solid guy to have in the lineup and I'd take that production in the 5th round every single year relative to any position on the field. Then some late round defenders, 2 of the 3 that did have some production with us, and one blew out a knee and the other an ankle and I don't think have played anywhere since.

Then we get to 2012 where it was a heavy defensive draft. Perry, can't argue lack of talent. can argue lack of health, but not lack of talent. Worthy, have to admit i was really excited by him and then very disappointed as well. He seemed to be in the backfield on far too many plays against the Badgers, I thought he'd do the same in the NFL. I was wrong. So were the Packers. Dud. But then we had Heyward and Daniels, 2 pretty good picks. Obviously had the talent. Then we get some late round guys that didn't do much of anything.

i think 5 years is far enough back. There are some very good defensive picks, some solid NFL contributors and a couple of duds. and yeah the cap was higher for defense, but you had an aging Peppers, Shields who contributed nothing and Matthews who was disappointing and injured too eating up a lot of that. I imagine our offense would suck without Rodgers or Jordy on the field or even Jordy and one of our Tackles eating up cap space and not peforming or seeing the field. Because your franchise OLB and Shutdown CB are pretty important players who's absence will definitely be felt. Bad talent? Bad coaching? Bad luck? right combination of each to make certain deficits insurmountable?

Actually it's impossible to fairly evaluate the main reason for the defense struggling as long as Thompson and Capers call the shots on that side of the ball. I have absolutely no idea if it's a lack of talent or an issue with the scheme but there's no reason to believe the unit will significantly increase by doing the same over and over again.

In my opinion either Thompson or Capers should have been gone long ago because of the defensive shortcomings.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Actually it's impossible to fairly evaluate the main reason for the defense struggling as long as Thompson and Capers call the shots on that side of the ball. I have absolutely no idea if it's a lack of talent or an issue with the scheme but there's no reason to believe the unit will significantly increase by doing the same over and over again.

In my opinion either Thompson or Capers should have been gone long ago because of the defensive shortcomings.
Capers and/or Thompson should have been gone long ago, but I came out right after the NFC championship game that night (the Atlanta game) and said that heads needed to roll. Someone needed to get shown the door after that game, and unfortunately we're going to move forward with the same circus.

Insanity: Doing the same things over and over again, expecting different results.

H

HardRightEdge

Capers and/or Thompson should have been gone long ago, but I came out right after the NFC championship game that night (the Atlanta game) and said that heads needed to roll. Someone needed to get shown the door after that game, and unfortunately we're going to move forward with the same circus.

Insanity: Doing the same things over and over again, expecting different results.
I wanted Capers gone after the Seattle debacle. I've seen nothing since to change my mind.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Capers.

However one thing that isn't often considered is that the Packers are always wrapping up their season anywhere from week 18 to week 21. Many of the coveted coordinators have been claimed by that time by the teams who didn't make the playoffs and are turning over the coaching staff.

I do wonder if Capers would have been gone the first time they missed the playoffs.

That said, I would have give Winston Moss a crack at it by now if nothing else.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

You're aware that this "circus" has won a championship and made the playoffs 8 straight years, correct?

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're aware that this "circus" has won a championship and made the playoffs 8 straight years, correct?

Quite an underachievement considering the talent we have at our disposal. If a manager/GM can't win more than 1 SB with once in a lifetime QB, then it is a disappointment.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Quite an underachievement considering the talent we have at our disposal. If a manager/GM can't win more than 1 SB with once in a lifetime QB, then it is a disappointment.

We will see where it stands when Rodgers hangs it up. I think some people underestimate how hard it is to win a championsgip even with Rodgers.

Brees only has one. Peyton got two, but really was along the ride for one of them. Same goes for Roethlisberger.

But I generally object when people refer to this team, one of the 5 premier franchises in the league, like it's a disaster... or "circus."

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will see where it stands when Rodgers hangs it up. I think some people underestimate how hard it is to win a championsgip even with Rodgers.

I do understand. We were just short of a couple of defensive players last season and it pains to me see that is not addressed adequately. It comes across as incompetence or negligence at worst or just an apathy to be satisfied as is and not needing to improve at best.

I understand it's an opinionated view to take as I believe Randall will flop this season and TT may think he'll be a star. But the fact that we are going all in without a Plan B makes this outside my risk appetite.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I do understand. We were just short of a couple of defensive players last season and it pains to me see that is not addressed adequately. It comes across as incompetence or negligence at worst or just an apathy to be satisfied as is and not needing to improve at best.

I understand it's an opinionated view to take as I believe Randall will flop this season and TT may think he'll be a star. But the fact that we are going all in without a Plan B makes this outside my risk appetite.

I get that. For better or worse, that's Thompson's philosophy. He made two high investments at corner and he's going to give them time to pay off. He clearly believes that last year was an injury problem. We will see if he's right or not.

It should be considered that he didn't do "nothing." He signed House and may well draft someone high. That's not the same as signing a premier FA, but it isn't nothing either.

I understand why people get impatient with TT's approach. He believes in the draft, continuity, and sustainability. He doesn't go all in on the market. It's tough to be patient with him when it seems they're so close, but it's also that philosophy that brought Green Bay a 2nd consecutive HOF QB and such consistent success.

I believe that Thompson's strategy is to get to the postseason every year, counting on winning at least one more ring as they talk shot after shot. I hope he's right. We will find out over the next 5 years or so.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand why people get impatient with TT's approach. He believes in the draft, continuity, and sustainability.

Sure, he certainly is a good GM, just not the right one for us. We have been at the peak of what he could achieve for some time now, but unable to take the final step. No matter how good ************ may feel, it still ain't as good as real sex. We need the climax. Stop wanking to what could have been and go out and get the bird ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sure, he certainly is a good GM, just not the right one for us. We have been at the peak of what he could achieve for some time now, but unable to take the final step. No matter how good ************ may feel, it still ain't as good as real sex. We need the climax. Stop wanking to what could have been and go out and get the bird ;)

Yikes dude.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I was referring strictly to the defense, and yes I am well aware of that. Thank you, Aaron Rodgers.

2010. Won the Super Bowl. #2 scoring defense that year. Since? Not one year in the top 10. There's been a couple of respectable defenses in that time frame, but they ultimately got exposed in playoff loses, given that they are giving up an average of an over 36 points per game.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wanted Capers gone after the Seattle debacle. I've seen nothing since to change my mind.

Capers should have been fired after Kaepernick ran all over his defense in the 2012 playoffs.

However one thing that isn't often considered is that the Packers are always wrapping up their season anywhere from week 18 to week 21. Many of the coveted coordinators have been claimed by that time by the teams who didn't make the playoffs and are turning over the coaching staff.

While I agree you have a point there the Packers haven't played in week 21 in a long time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Capers should have been fired after Kaepernick ran all over his defense in the 2012 playoffs.

While I agree you have a point there the Packers haven't played in week 21 in a long time.

Which is why I said anywhere from week 18-21.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the two tiny highlights are what bother the majority of us who complain.

That and the Packers 10-8 record in the Playoffs under Thompson. Toss in the way that a few of those games were lost and you created the frustration of "being so close", yet not being able to finish.

For me, its not necessarily complaining and saying "TT sucks" and never should have been the Packer GM. It's more of a "we have AR and the "potential" to have done more to this point, had TT done a few more things along the way." But I do also see the other side of the argument, "Without TT, would we have even been this good?". When you have the potential to finish first, it can be frustrating not to, especially when it appears that there were only one or two things that might have made the difference. But again, on the flip side of that coin, TT might not be getting enough credit for those few things he does, that keeps us being a playoff caliber team each season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts