What will happen 1st??

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
then to answer the OP, its the MVP first.

Interesting you should say that because the last time the regular season MVP also won the SB was all the way back in 1999. Think it was actually Kurt Warner if I'm not mistaking. The year Rodgers won I was for certain that team was at least going to the SB...womp womp boy did they fool me smh. I'd rather him not win the MVP .

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting you should say that because the last time the regular season MVP also won the SB was all the way back in 1999. Think it was actually Kurt Warner if I'm not mistaking. The year Rodgers won I was for certain that team was at least going to the SB...womp womp boy did they fool me smh. I'd rather him not win the MVP .
I don't think him winning the MVP has any effect on winning a Superbowl. That said, he probably won't have "MVP numbers" because our running game has become one of the very best, if not THE best in the NFL. The potential 1-2-3 punch of Lacy, Starks and Harris could prove nearly impossible to stop.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2007 and 2011 were our two greatest QB seasons since Favre's SB era (1996-97). In both 2007 and 2011 the Packers had terrible running games, although they did get Ryan Grant for the last 1/3rd of 2007. The lack of running game forced our QBs to primarily throw the ball. GPG is right on that our RB depth will likely decrease Rodgers' chance of winning the regular season MVP. However, that will probably increase his chance of winning the SB MVP.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with 3 solid backs this offense is still a pass 1st offense. If it gets late in the game that could change but I could see Rodgers throwing for 35 touchdowns or more easy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with 3 solid backs this offense is still a pass 1st offense.
Really, what makes you believe this? The percentage of running plays versus pass called by the Packers has increased over each of the past three seasons. Despite only a 1% increase in running calls in 2013, production in the running game (due to Lacy) spiked. First downs by running plays went from 28% to 37% while rushing TDs went from 18% to 40%.

I'm not sure that anyone can definitively say that Green Bay will remain a pass-first offense, so I wonder what your reasoning is for stating such. Many people call McCarthy a pass-first coach, but he's never had an above average RB in all of his seasons as coach.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have the best quarterback in the league. A pass happy league. Our WR group goes like 6 deep. Not just 6 guys, but 6 quality guys. I think that it's safe to say we'll remain pass first.

I do like our RB group, but Lacy is still unproven. One good, healthy year is a good start. Not a guarantee that he's an elite back. He still is going to run recklessly violent, he still has those same injury red flags... love him though I do, I am only cautiously optimistic that he can have a healthy career. Harris is still largely unproven. Franklin unproven. Starks oft-injured. We have an intriguing group of backs, but nothing I'd bank on over our passing game.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, what makes you believe this? The percentage of running plays versus pass called by the Packers has increased over each of the past three seasons. Despite only a 1% increase in running calls in 2013, production in the running game (due to Lacy) spiked. First downs by running plays went from 28% to 37% while rushing TDs went from 18% to 40%.

I'm not sure that anyone can definitively say that Green Bay will remain a pass-first offense, so I wonder what your reasoning is for stating such. Many people call McCarthy a pass-first coach, but he's never had an above average RB in all of his seasons as coach.

Are you serious? For one Mm's play calling history, and two the best qb in football lining up for us. as long as 12 is qb Packers will never be a run 1st team.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Regarding the OP, I don't care if Rodgers ever wins another MVP and I care A LOT about winning Super Bowls so any Packer winning the Super Bowl MVP would be a really good sign!

I agree with those who believe the Packers will be a pass first team - and they should be with Rodgers at QB. In fact, IMO McCarthy struggles staying disciplined enough to consistently run the ball, although he seems to be getting better in that regard. I view this team's RB group as deep as it's been in a long time, so that should help too. BTW, I expect the Packers to run the ball more in the opener than they will over the rest of the season in order to keep Rodgers upright.
We have the best quarterback in the league. A pass happy league. Our WR group goes like 6 deep. Not just 6 guys, but 6 quality guys. I think that it's safe to say we'll remain pass first.

I do like our RB group, but Lacy is still unproven. One good, healthy year is a good start. Not a guarantee that he's an elite back. He still is going to run recklessly violent, he still has those same injury red flags... love him though I do, I am only cautiously optimistic that he can have a healthy career. Harris is still largely unproven. Franklin unproven. Starks oft-injured. We have an intriguing group of backs, but nothing I'd bank on over our passing game.
Lacy's running style is recklessly violent but I find it interesting you post he's unproven (the only caveat regarding him is staying healthy IMO) in the same post you write, "Our WR group goes like 6 deep. Not just 6 guys, but 6 quality guys." Just exactly who are those guys? :D Do you think the 7th and/or 8th WR who may or may not make it to the PS are also "quality guys"? Will any of the newcomers also be injury prone?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I understand where you guys are coming from. What's happened in the past will be what happens in the future. I don't think that I'll be taking any stock tips from this group. Trends aren't forever

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy's running style is recklessly violent but I find it interesting you post he's unproven (the only caveat regarding him is staying healthy IMO) in the same post you write, "Our WR group goes like 6 deep. Not just 6 guys, but 6 quality guys." Just exactly who are those guys?

Nelson, Cobb, and Adams is 3 2nd round guys. That alone at one offensive position is insane. Boykin has at least shown he can be very good, but he needs to repeat it with ARod. We committed highway robbery with our selections of Abbrederis and Janis getting both 2-3 rounds lower than projected. You know who our receivers are, I hardly think I need to read the roster for you.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Nelson, Cobb, and Adams is 3 2nd round guys. That alone at one offensive position is insane. Boykin has at least shown he can be very good, but he needs to repeat it with ARod. We committed highway robbery with our selections of Abbrederis and Janis getting both 2-3 rounds lower than projected. You know who our receivers are, I hardly think I need to read the roster for you.
Yes I know who the Packers WRs are. That's why IMO it's optimistic in the extreme to call six of them quality NFL receivers when we don’t know who the six are. Certainly White, Harper, or Dorsey have a chance at beating out Janis for the #6 spot if they keep 6, don’t they? BTW, getting Harper, a 4th round pick in the 2013 draft for nothing is also insane, isn’t it? ;) Anyway is whoever wins that #6 job a quality NFL WR? If so, what do you base that upon? Or isn’t it really the case that the Packers have two very good/excellent receivers in Nelson and Cobb, one receiver who showed some potential last season and a slew of receivers who haven’t caught a pass in an NFL game (except for White who has 9 receptions)?

Last season Lacy scored 11 TDs, ran the ball 305 times for 1260 yards and caught 37 balls for another 264 yards. He deserved the rookie of the year award he received. Yet you say “Lacy is still unproven” while calling three players who haven’t played NFL football quality NFL receivers. You can see how that appears to be at least a bit ... odd, can’t you?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I understand where you guys are coming from. What's happened in the past will be what happens in the future. I don't think that I'll be taking any stock tips from this group. Trends aren't forever

You're right. No ones hoping Flynn plays again tho I'm sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m excited about getting Adams in the 2nd round and Abbrederis and Janis on Day 3 of the draft as well. But none of them has done anything at the NFL level at the moment, so it´s premature to call them quality receivers.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quality athletes that have either produced already on the NFL stage or were highly regarded coming out of college. We're going to be cutting guys that some teams would start. Do we really need to debate my use of the word "quality?" The point is, we have more talent and more proven talent in the passing game than the running game. I love our RBs, but I don't trust a single one of them to stay healthy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling any new player a quality WR is insane. Are you a Lions fan masquerading as a Packers fan? An old adage comes to mind: don't count your chickens before they hatch

D

Deleted member 6794

Quality athletes that have either produced already on the NFL stage or were highly regarded coming out of college. We're going to be cutting guys that some teams would start. Do we really need to debate my use of the word "quality?" The point is, we have more talent and more proven talent in the passing game than the running game. I love our RBs, but I don't trust a single one of them to stay healthy.

There´s no guarantee success at the college level will translate to the NFL. Just take a look at some of the receivers being drafted in the first two rounds over since 2011.

Jonathan Baldwin, Ryan Broyles, Stephen Hill, A.J. Jenkins and Brian Quick all were highly regarded coming out of college but haven´t shown a lot in the NFL so far.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
We're going to be cutting guys that some teams would start.
No, the Packers won't be cutting a WR who will start (be one of the top 2 or 3 WRs) for another team.

I disagree with El Guapo and believe the Packers will remain a pass-first team. And IMO worrying about the continued health of the RBs is reasonable, but there's no need to go overboard on WRs who haven't played in an NFL game to prove the point.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
with Lacy proving he is a tough guy already as a rookie (playing on dinged up ankles and feet in the COLD) and starks having less carries by being used as a breather for Lacy..... D. Harris in the mix with his nasty cuts and speed.... I beleive we will become a more balanced team than we have seen in a long time. Yes, with Arod, we will pass, but that run game will help to set that up in a big way.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts