What Packers could get traded by final cuts....?

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the log jam at TE and WR. It seems reasonable that other teams that run the West Coast Offense or a variation of it will be highly interested in our players. I imagine Cleveland (Mike Holmgren) and Seattle (John Schneider)will have major interests.....

I think were gonna make a couple trades to upgrade the DL or ILB...

maybe.......
TE Andrew Quarless-would be a starter for weaker teams
TE Spencer Havner -
FB Quinn Johnson (Kuhn and TE's Crabtree & Taylor can fill his position)
WR Jordy Nelson (keep Chastin West!!! perfect time 2 get something for Jordy)...
WR Brett Swain (could be effective #3 or #4 WR for a rebuilding team

:viksux::chisux::detsux:

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Matt Flynn getting traded - much like Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunnel, Ty Dettmer, etc.

Another one I see is James Jones.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The annual ritual of hoping the Packers can get something for players it will waive anyway is underway! For players like Havner, Johnson, and Swain other teams may as well just wait until they’re released so I don’t think they have any trade value whatever. Keep in mind a ton of other players will be receiving their walking papers too and that will diminish the value of any player with marginal trade value. The Packers aren’t at the roster limit of 90 (I think they're at 86) and I don’t know where most teams are regarding roster size, but even assuming each team averages just 80 players now, as they get down to 53 that means 860+ will be released over the next few weeks.

As to players like Nelson who do have trade value, that’s at least a possibility but I will be surprised if Thompson and McCarthy purposely go into the season with 2 “rookie” WRs of the 5 they’re likely to keep. And honestly if there is a young inexperienced WR other than Cobb they just “have” to keep, it would make more sense and be more in line with Thompson’s way to trade/release "old" Donald Driver than another young experienced WR. That’s cold-blooded and I’m certainly not advocating or expecting that, I’m just saying that’s more in line with Thompson’s MO.

Matt Flynn definitely has trade value but I for one would shudder to go into the season with Graham Harrell as the number 2 QB and a position player as #3. I would think Thompson would have added another QB or two if a trade of Flynn were in the cards. (I’m surprised they didn’t in any event.) And it would have made more sense for the other team if a trade were made right after the CBA was in place so Flynn could get acclimated to his new team. Unfortunately I think the Packers are going to get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Flynn when he leaves via UFA after this season.

It’s fun to contemplate but I don’t think it’s Thompson’s way. So we Packers fan don’t get the “thrill” of huge UFA signings or mega trades. We just have to make do with a championship and a team in position to vie for many more!

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so, they'll just wait till we cut players then sign them without losing picks. Vultures they are

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Given that if you aren't a starter you can be traded. Any of these would not surprise me: Low round pick for Jarrett Bush, Quarless/Crabtree, Brad Jones, Pat Lee, Graham Harrell. Mid round for DD, Jordy Nelson, Charlie Peprah. High pick for Matt Flynn, Zombo/Walden, Grant/Starks. Much more for Shields, Jones, Lang. Except for the ones on the low round list, I really don't expect anyone to be traded. I really would like another decent DL, Neal's injury history is following that of Harrell. And yes I know that DD is still the starter.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Given that if you aren't a starter you can be traded. Any of these would not surprise me: Low round pick for Jarrett Bush, Quarless/Crabtree, Brad Jones, Pat Lee, Graham Harrell. Mid round for DD, Jordy Nelson, Charlie Peprah. High pick for Matt Flynn, Zombo/Walden, Grant/Starks. Much more for Shields, Jones, Lang. Except for the ones on the low round list, I really don't expect anyone to be traded. I really would like another decent DL, Neal's injury history is following that of Harrell. And yes I know that DD is still the starter.
Of all of those players you listed, the only players that I see with any trade value at all are Jordy (too good to let go), Peprah (major importance at backup), Flynn (haha, not gonna happen, Harrell will need another year to become the #2 guy), Shields (why would you trade him?????) Jones (I could see this, but don't think we'd get alot) and Lang (seriously stupid to trade him)
As someone else posted, there are gonna be alot of talented guys on the street this year, why trade for a Jones when you might be able to snatch a Chastin West from our practice squad?
Oh yea, EVERY team will be watching our castoffs as they do year after year.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would it be a smart move on TT's part to BS some injuries for guys like West who are good enough to make another roster but for whom there is no room in Green Bay. Then he could put them on that 6 week pup list and have them available in the case that someone else on the roster gets hurt early in the season and is done for the year? This way if say JJ blows out his ACL in week 5 then after week 6 they could activate West.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Would it be a smart move on TT's part to BS some injuries for guys like West who are good enough to make another roster but for whom there is no room in Green Bay. Then he could put them on that 6 week pup list and have them available in the case that someone else on the roster gets hurt early in the season and is done for the year? This way if say JJ blows out his ACL in week 5 then after week 6 they could activate West.

West isn't eligible for the PUP list. IR or 53-man roster are the only options to protect him. Physically Unable to Perform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As someone else posted, there are gonna be alot of talented guys on the street this year, why trade for a Jones when you might be able to snatch a Chastin West from our practice squad?
Oh yea, EVERY team will be watching our castoffs as they do year after year.

You give up a 6 or 7 for a player being cut to guarantee you get him. It depends where you are on the waiver list. If there is a decent DE that TT likes getting cut, he'd have to trade for him instead of for example maybe Seattle getting him on waivers. Once a player clears waivers, he's a FA and you have to outbid anyone else that might have the same idea. There used to be a lot of "past considerations" trades on cutdown day. IIRC the NFL nixed that gambit about 8 years back. To many preferential trades between buddies.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, trades for "past considerations" aren't allowed anymore and they can’t hide anyone on the PUP list this year. A player like West would have to agree to go on IR if he didn’t really have that serious an injury and any team playing that game could get sanctioned by the league. One other thing, players have to clear waivers for something like 24 or 48 hours before they can be signed to the practice squad. After being waived, players aren’t required to accept another team’s offer so the Packers could suggest to a player like West that he stick around on the PS another season (I think he’s eligible) and let him know he’ll have a real shot to make the team next season (with Nelson or Driver gone, for example). But from West’s point of view, he would probably want to join a team that will allow him to get his NFL career under way since he may end up in the same position next year if he's still a Packer.

Here are a couple of Packers/Bears anecdotes regarding the PS: Remember the name Hunter Hillenmeyer? He was a LB Sherman drafted in 2003 in the 5th round. Sherman tried to hide him on the PS and of course had to waive him and hope he made it through waivers. Unfortunately the Bears jumped on that opportunity and Hillenmeyer started for them for a few years. He wasn’t close to being a pro bowler but the Packers could have certainly used him and it was one of many mistakes Sherman would make as GM.

The other story involves Matt Hasselbeck and is one of my favorite off-the-field Packers/Bears stories. Ron Wolf drafted him in the 6th round of the 1998 draft. Hasselbeck wasn’t invited to the combine so his agent, Andrew Brandt, invited every NFL GM to a private workout. Unbelievably only one team sent someone: Andy Reid looked Matt over for the Packers. Anyway, Hasselbeck made the team but when the Bears cut Rick Mirer, Holmgren wanted him as a backup, so they waived Matt and put him on the practice squad. Later in the season the Bears starter Erik Kramer got hurt and they wanted to sign Hasselbeck. Any team can offer a practice squad player from another team a contract but that player has to join the offering team’s active roster. What some fans don’t realize is the player doesn’t have to accept the offer and the team can do what Ron Wolf did at that time: Offer him more money to stay on the PS. Of course that’s what happened and the Bears were denied a competent QB. Here’s Hasselbeck’s reasoning at the time: "I was in a system with Ron Wolf, who had picked all these quarterbacks," Hasselbeck was quoted as saying in the Seattle Times. "Mike Holmgren was the head coach, Andy Reid coached the quarterbacks, Brett Favre was the quarterback. That's better than going to Harvard Business School."

Well we all know it worked out well for Matt and the Packers, until they exercised the draft pick they received from Seattle in the Hasselbeck trade. Even more important: The Bears were denied a QB that would have been a pain in the Packers backside for years.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers also recently have traded Tony Moll to the Ravens, and the long-snapper to Carolina for draft picks.
I expect Teddy to pull off another one of these trades, but it won't be just for a 7th round draft pick. A player-for-player is possible if TJ Lang looks crappy in Indy..... this will be a challenge for our OL in their fast dome with Freeney and Mathis off the edges, plus my man Jerry Hughes.

I expect our OL to have more questions after that game. Always tough against those speed rushers. The way to beat it is to run a lot at them...

Guys with the most trade value who we could possibly move (because we have excess at the position), and I can't imagine any of them being traded but you never know:

-Ryan Grant (there have been a lot of 2nd round drafted RBs get bad injuries. If there's a bad one this week, he might be in demand).

-Jordy or James. Of course we love them and they are young. That's why they have trade value. But if Ted & Mike have true faith in Chastin West, or any of the other young talented WRs, they could trade for an upgrade at LG or ROLB if they believe an upgrade to Zombo-Walden is worth getting Chastin in for one of the J's. We almost let Jones go, and got nothing for him. He signed cheap for 3 years which only makes him more valuable. Would you trade Jones for a guaranteed upgrade at LG or ROLB, or for a high 2nd round pick next year? #1WR Jennings, #2- Driver, #3- Jordy, #4- Cobb, #5- West...

-Matt Flynn. Only if Graham Harrell has sold Mike & Ted that he's good enough to be what Flynn was last year.... remember, Flynn sucked the first game (in Detroit) that we needed him. We scored no TD in that whole game. But then with a week of starting-prep, he was B+ in New England. He just choked at the end, but played great otherwise pretty much, minus the int. Former Packer personnel guy Schneider is there, and their QB situation looks horrible. They know Flynn is good and they brought in Sidney Rice and the super TE Zach Miller. Why waste them?

-Jermichael Finley. No way. But what would you do if you were the GM and a team offered you a 1st round pick for him?
We won the Super Bowl without him for the last 14 games. And he'll get very expen$ive in a year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers also recently have traded Tony Moll to the Ravens, and the long-snapper to Carolina for draft picks.
I expect Teddy to pull off another one of these trades, but it won't be just for a 7th round draft pick. A player-for-player is possible if TJ Lang looks crappy in Indy..... this will be a challenge for our OL in their fast dome with Freeney and Mathis off the edges, plus my man Jerry Hughes.

-Ryan Grant .

-Jordy or James.

-Matt Flynn.

-Jermichael Finley.

I'm assuming for Flynn you were talking about Seattle. I think he'd fit there. I don't see Finley going anywhere. The chips are stacked and pushed in for a repeat. The only major trade I really foresee is for a DL if Neals injuries keep popping up. I think they feel they are OK with the OLB and OL situations in the short term. Didn't the Jones/Walden/Zombo hydra get double digit sacks last year?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they feel they are OK with the OLB and OL situations in the short term. Didn't the Jones/Walden/Zombo hydra get double digit sacks last year?
I don't think so.... Jones had 0 IIRC.... he got hurt so early.
Zombo and Walden.... maybe 7 or 8 combined if I had to guess, which ain't bad.
I think both guys are going to be better this year too, especially the WaldenBeast.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe one of the WR's will be traded but I suspect that the player will be West and my guess is the Rams, he would be a #3 or 4 and should fetch a 5th round or better draft pick. The Raiders just lost Kevin Boss and they might be willing to send a 4th or 5th for one of the TE's and one of the excess DB's. Outside of these two teams most of the others that come to mind are very high on the waiver wire and have no incentive to deal with GB; just wait for them to be cut

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant see a situation where a team trades for James Jones. They had a chance to sign him. They didnt. So you trade a 3 or 4 for him? when you could have gotten him for nothing? Yeah that makes no sense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree ivo610. Regarding Jones, it doesn't make from other teams' perspectives as you describe and it doesn't from the Packers' point of view either as they gave him a signing bonus that they couldn't recover if they trade him and would result in dead cap money. And they locked up a young WR for 3 years who is very familiar with their offense and who they know very well for relatively cheap. Regarding Grant, the Packers paid him a roster bonus of $1.75M and I don't think they would have if they were going to trade him.

The combo of Zombo/Walden missed double digit sacks by one. Zombo had 4 in the regular season, Walden had 3 and they both got a sack in post season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont see any of our WRs being traded as we need 5 for what MM likes to run in our offense. Which is great. But you win games by having depth greater than the other teams secondary depth.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts