Packers O Formation(s) Question

OP
OP
J

jakemillar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers love the quick slant to the wr and do it as well as anybody. Putting the slot man on the LOS gets him out of the throwing lane quicker. I bet the Packers audible the slant play and need that open throwing lane to be open on nearly every play. That is why I think they love to line their slot receiver at the LOS and relatively close to the tackle to make sure the slant is open. If the defense is right, the Packers will also slant to the slot man but that seems less frequent.
Plausible, but to me what rebutes this POV is the fact that the Packers, when their slot WR is ON the LOS, will run him quick to the flat (the "Cobb" route") whilst having the outside receiver run a slant. Often times they even run the slot flat route over top of the outside slant, creating that natural "rub" action for the slant. But sometimes they run the flat route under the slant, so that doesn't entirely seem to be it either.

We've had about 4 good suggestions in the thread so far that to me IMO are plausible, but we might never know. Someone mentioned Mike McCarthy's coaching show runs during the season. What steps do I need to take to get a question asked to him on something like that?

D

Deleted member 6794

Someone mentioned Mike McCarthy's coaching show runs during the season. What steps do I need to take to get a question asked to him on something like that?

Unfortunately I don't believe they're taking fan questions on the Mike McCarthy show. You might wanna try to contact co-host Lance Allan (@lanceallan) on Twitter though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plausible, but to me what rebutes this POV is the fact that the Packers, when their slot WR is ON the LOS, will run him quick to the flat (the "Cobb" route") whilst having the outside receiver run a slant. Often times they even run the slot flat route over top of the outside slant, creating that natural "rub" action for the slant. But sometimes they run the flat route under the slant, so that doesn't entirely seem to be it either.

We've had about 4 good suggestions in the thread so far that to me IMO are plausible, but we might never know. Someone mentioned Mike McCarthy's coaching show runs during the season. What steps do I need to take to get a question asked to him on something like that?

Even if you could ask him, I highly doubt he will give anything away about the scheme.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so this 0 formation talk has me wondering if we might see a retirn of the big 5 formation we used a bunch first with favre when koren robinson was the 5 and then with rodgers. it was driver, jennings, jones, nelson, and cobb. Now we could run it with nelson, adams, cobb, clark, and davis. or i guess more realistically with nelson, cobb, adams, montgomery, and bennett which would allow the packers to run no huddle and seamlessly switch between the 0 ans 11 personel formations. thats gonna be a nightmare for defenses. they can line 88 up at rb and bennett at te one play and run real rushing plays and on the next split bennett out wide and put montgomery in the slot and on the next line up bennett in line at te with nelson and adams outside and 88 and 18 in the slots. or trips to one side with 88 in the backfield and bennett wide to the other side. they could even line both bennett and montgomery up in the backfield. idk seems like the 2017 packers offense should be poised to set some records. i think rodgers throws 50 tds

OP
OP
J

jakemillar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so this 0 formation talk has me wondering if we might see a retirn of the big 5 formation we used a bunch first with favre when koren robinson was the 5 and then with rodgers. it was driver, jennings, jones, nelson, and cobb. Now we could run it with nelson, adams, cobb, clark, and davis. or i guess more realistically with nelson, cobb, adams, montgomery, and bennett which would allow the packers to run no huddle and seamlessly switch between the 0 ans 11 personel formations. thats gonna be a nightmare for defenses. they can line 88 up at rb and bennett at te one play and run real rushing plays and on the next split bennett out wide and put montgomery in the slot and on the next line up bennett in line at te with nelson and adams outside and 88 and 18 in the slots. or trips to one side with 88 in the backfield and bennett wide to the other side. they could even line both bennett and montgomery up in the backfield. idk seems like the 2017 packers offense should be poised to set some records. i think rodgers throws 50 tds
Truthfully, most of what you described here, the Packers did last season. They were one of only 2 teams to use a true 5WR formation LAST YEAR (00 personnel). The other was Denver.

The only thing that changes this year IMO is, even amongst all the formations you listed above, swap out Jared Cook for Martellus Bennett, and exchange Cobb/Adams in some 3WR sets for Lance Kendricks. I'd expect GB to play a lot more 12 personnel, then if the D showed a heavier set to stop the run, balanced or unbalanced, Rodgers might flex Montgomery out of the backfield, back into the gun and go empty, forcing LBs into coverage on the TEs/RB.

I'm excited to see what Rodgers can do when he's given more diversity in personnel and talent around him. Even harder for defenses to prepare for that.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will be using a good bit of 12 personnel this year. We should be able to throw out more different packages than almost any team..........if the other 10 guys can keep up.

Members online

Latest posts