Pre-season final cuts.......

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back on who we cut and kept.
I'm only questioning why we kept 3 FULLBACKS AND 4 TIGHT-ENDS ???????

I questioned it when it happened. But i figured Ted and Mike have more insight than i do.

Looking over NFL rosters today. Most teams carry only 1 Fullback ??? WHAT?
Looking over NFL rosters today. Most teams carry only 2-3 Tight-Ends......WHAT ?

Why would we carry 2 extra-fullbacks and 1 extra TE, when we could have carried 3 extra position players. Maybe an extra RB (Lumpkin?) extra Safety, LB, CB ? It's easy for me to ask this now. But i was asking this in the beginning of September. Keeping 3-4 extra players on our team that are TE's and FB's. Thats messed up. Teams that run the 3-4 defense have extra LB's and S and CB's.

Look at Indy or New Orleans, Dallas, etc....teams that have strong offense. Do you see the Saints keeping 3 FB's - NO !!!!!! Do you see the Colts keeping 4 TE's? NO !!!!!

I BLAME TED THOMPSON FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO CUT HIS OWN DRAFT PICKS...

1. QUINN JOHNSON SHOULD HAVE BEEN CUT !!!!!
2. (TE) they should have traded Donald Lee for a LB,S,CB, or cut Crabtree. But Ted is so freak'n affraid .

THIS IS NOT BASH TED THOMPSON THREAD

THIS IS ONLY THE FACTS OF OUR TEAM COMPARED TO THE REST.....

GOOD LUCK PACKERS, YOU CAN FIGHT YOUR WAY THROUGH THIS

:viksux::viksux::chisux::chisux::detsux::detsux:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I answer with this- I have no idea other than there's a reason why he's the GM of a professional football franchise and you're just a guy on a forum. If you could do so much better, why don't you start working in the NFL?

acuratl1984

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was actually surprised to see that number of FB and TE as well on the final roster.

IMO 2 FB is a bit too many already, should have just stashed one guy on the practice squad.
3 TE is ideal, 4 is too much... 2 TE (Pass Catching mainly) and a blocking TE.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we kept 3fb for special teams, we dont use a 2 back set anyway, why keep more HBs when we're going to throw? we knew starks was back after week 6 too....and 4 tes, i mean, any one of our guys could probably play #2 or start as TE for almost any other team in the league.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Because everyone knows you can project when and where injuries will happen........
No, but you know where the most injury prone positions are, and which positions are more valuable. IMO, a weak secondary is much more of a problem than a loss of a FB.

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because everyone knows you can project when and where injuries will happen........

NO
i already said i thought it was BS to keep 7 FB's/TE's before injuries, back in early Sept..

quit being so ******** defensive. and open your eyes people.....its ok

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I answer with this- I have no idea other than there's a reason why he's the GM of a professional football franchise and you're just a guy on a forum. If you could do so much better, why don't you start working in the NFL?

spartachris? you feel 7 FB's and TE's are enough?
really?
you didnt question it?
you must not know much about NFL rosters

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
maybe just maybe the extra lb or cb or safety were not worthy of a roster spot?

As as someone pointed out they play s/t

But carrying only one FB in this type of offense prob isnt a good idea either..

I wanted to see Havner stay..TE and LB but they didnt like him this year for some reason even tho he did great job last year

OP
OP
dogpackerz

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe just maybe the extra lb or cb or safety were not worthy of a roster spot?

As as someone pointed out they play s/t

But carrying only one FB in this type of offense prob isnt a good idea either..

I wanted to see Havner stay..TE and LB but they didnt like him this year for some reason even tho he did great job last year

OK
I'M GOING TO USE IT.

i'm embarrased, but i have to bring out my wild card...
I'm an assistant coach for my sons football team.....
My son goes to school at Carrollwood Day School in Tampa (Coach John Gruden son is the QB for our team)
Coach Gruden is a part-time assistant coach with us.
I always shoot the **** with John. about all NFL stuff, especially packer football.
I love picking his brain...
We discussed TODAY AT PRACTICE ABOUT THE PACKERS SITUATION ????....
HE LAUGHED THAT WE HAVE THAT MANY FULLBACKS AND TE's. HE DIDNT BELIEVE ME UNTIL HE PULLED OUT HIS IPHONE AND CHECKED OUR ROSTER.
he wondered why we cut havnor?
also, lumpkin?
he shrugged his shoulders why we didnt get Lynch...he thinks Lynch will be a STUD in the right system.
he did say that Ted Thompson is great at what he does. BUT WHAT HE DOES, WONT GET US OVER THE HILL.
WE WILL NEED HELP...

TED IS VERY CONSERVATIVE... WHEN TED LEFT SEATTLE FOR GREEN BAY, THE SEAHAWKS PICKED UP 6 FREE AGENTS THAT YEAR AND WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL....???? thats what John said, he also brought up Ron Wolf. We all know how Ron was.

John also said, he (John Gruden) was the worst coach as in picking up veteran players and wasting money, but hoping someone would pan out...lol. thought that was funny as hell

I respect coach more than any person on this site..

i cant wait talk with him next Wednesday.

hopefully we win

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell Gruden he still owes me 40 bucks from the night we went to the tittie bar in Wisconsin Rapids.

Okay, that's ********, but it's funny. I kinda envy you- Gruden's got to have a ton of valuable insights.

Reaction score
Because the Fullbacks also play special teams. The Tight ends are all good. Plus Kuhn is a better Rb than our running backs So why carry a Rb when you have a FB that is better than them And can play Fb and Special teams.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
dogpackerz said:
he thinks Lynch will be a STUD in the right system.
Gruden probably thinks Jarrett Bush can be a #1 corner in the NFL.

I like the guy, but he never says anything bad about anybody ever.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he wondered why we cut havnor?
also, lumpkin?
he shrugged his shoulders why we didnt get Lynch...he thinks Lynch will be a STUD in the right system.
he did say that Ted Thompson is great at what he does. BUT WHAT HE DOES, WONT GET US OVER THE HILL.
WE WILL NEED HELP...

TED IS VERY CONSERVATIVE... WHEN TED LEFT SEATTLE FOR GREEN BAY, THE SEAHAWKS PICKED UP 6 FREE AGENTS THAT YEAR AND WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL....???? thats what John said, he also brought up Ron Wolf. We all know how Ron was.

The team that went to the Super Bowl in Seattle was already in place when Thompson left, except for the draftees. Lofa Tatupu (2nd round draft choice) was a significant addition to the team and was key to their run. There were no significant free agent acquisitions except maybe Joe Jerevicius (3rd WR). And there were no blockbuster trades. Ted Thompson was 95% responsible for the team that played in the SB.

Here is a link to the transactions made in 2005:

https://seahawks.com/Team/Transactions.aspx?year=2005

I have lived in Seattle for 10 years and experienced that season. To think someone came in and made a bunch of brilliant free agent signings to get the Seahawks to the Super Bowl is hogwash.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spartachris? you feel 7 FB's and TE's are enough?
really?
you didnt question it?
you must not know much about NFL rosters

Again, if you know so much, why aren't YOU working for an NFL team? Yeah, that's what I thought.

No, I didn't question it. You know why? Because I assume Ted knows more about the dynamics of this team than I do. If I had to wager a guess though, I'd say it's because at some point when you're filling out the back end of your roster, you keep the best players available regardless of position. They probably have intangibles that we, the casual fan, aren't aware of.

PackerManLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Position is just a title nowadays in the NFL. Look at jfin they line him up outside as a wr and inside as a te. I think they picked the best talent and ran with it.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While i will complain about not getting Lynch, i will not for one second doubt the choices Teddy makes. we are going to contend for a long, long time and will continue to contend because of how we build our team and acquire more talent. He has proven to be an above average evaluator of talent, i think something like all of his picks are still in the NFL and that 7/28 became starters, which is 25% better than the average. and its not like we're the lions here where starting doesnt mean much. we're a super bowl contender.

teddy makes the moves he has to when he finds a guy he likes. he made woodson happen despite woodson not feeling great about it. he traded up to get clay. he gets guys that he thinks can improve. he must have seen something in lynch that he didnt want here, most likely attitude, or some small talent thing i dont know, that or the bills never gave him a chance to counter offer to seattles bid. knowing he at least felt it out is good enough for me.

do i want us to get a RB, yes id do anything to get Dwill on this team. but i dont want to put the future into too much jeopardy. yes, when you have a contender you want to win now, but look at how young our team is and how good it is. we're going to compete at least as long as aaron is the QB, that gives us at least 10-12 more years of making runs. how many other teams can say that? minnesota traded their draft picks, are all over the age of 30 and are still bad, desperately trying to not get sent packing to LA. there is your impulsive GM for you. that is what you get. Ron Wolf got the guys he wanted, and brought in vets only if the young guys werent panning out.

the only things holding us back right now from rolling the competition is ourselves (playcalling) and the mounting injuries, which despite them being severe and widespread, i dont see anywhere where we lost a massive amount of talent, yes the expected drop off to backups, but who knows how good bishop can do, or bulaga on the right side, or a matured peprah. and in three weeks we will have the best secondary in the league. who can argue with a starting lineup of williams, woodson collins, bigby with al harris as a #3 corner and shields(possibly the next big thing) at 4?

Members online

Latest posts