What Offensive Changes Do You Expect To See?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, yes, a few will make jokes about seeing less points scored. However, the coaching staff is now going to be challenged to come up (I believe) two new offensive game plans - one for Hundley and one for Callahan. I'm not talking entire new offensive playbooks, but offensive game plans that are tailored to each man's skills. Neither of them has Rodgers' skill sets. Hundley is more of a pocket passer in my recollection. My memory of Callahan from his 2016 training camp was that he was very mobile and Brett Favre-esque. He made plays happen with his feet and ability to improvise.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With this offensive line, the number one change is quick passing. The offense needs to go to a true west coast offense. Hundley needs to get that ball out of his hands quick which means the receivers need to be better route runners instead of scramble drill guys.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm not going to say what changes I expect to see, but I'll speak to what I would like to see.

Ideally we will see more pick plays designed to get players open rather than relying on 'man beating' routes so much. I would like to see more 12 personnel to hopefully establish a respectable running game. From there, I would like to see a considerable amount of Hundley's pass attempts used out of those formations in bootleg/misdirection situations designed to give him more time to deliver the ball to an open guy.

We simply cannot rely upon, or expect Hundley to line up with 3 or 4 wide every play and beat the pressure being thrown at his face the way Rodgers typically does and expect him to have a great deal of success. Especially with the way that it seems our offensive line is banged up right now.

The game needs to be simplified to a degree. Because the bottom line is this: if the offense isn't able to somehow sustain some drives with the running game and quick passing, that defense is going to get ripped to shreds on an every game basis.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I can see Hundley and Jones running some read-option together. Both seem well suited to play off one another in the running game.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wouldn't THAT throw the Saints for loop at the start of Sunday's game!

Well, seeing as how, "On the deck my captain lies, Fallen cold and dead," we might as well throw stuff at the wall.

Let's get weird!

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the number one change is quick passing

Yup. Get the ball away quick (or get hit by truck load of defenders) is the new mantra at QB.

I would like to see more 12 personnel to hopefully establish a respectable running game.

We'd probably by doing away with the running game altogether. There is no chance of this O-Line opening any holes to say. After AR12's injury, we ran something like 20 running plays for 35 yards or something (I forget the exact stats). No point getting stuck there.

As to OP,

We'd be better off using both Jones / TyM as pass catcher options from backfield. Both have good hands and can be versatile.
I expect Most Ds would load the line with 8 players and blitz often. So let them blitz and get off screens or pass quick short yardage to TEs and backfield receivers.
I also see lesser play action. Hundley should be in a shotgun formation.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yup. Get the ball away quick (or get hit by truck load of defenders) is the new mantra at QB.

We'd probably by doing away with the running game altogether. There is no chance of this O-Line opening any holes to say. After AR12's injury, we ran something like 20 running plays for 35 yards or something (I forget the exact stats). No point getting stuck there.

As to OP,

We'd be better off using both Jones / TyM as pass catcher options from backfield. Both have good hands and can be versatile.
I expect Most Ds would load the line with 8 players and blitz often. So let them blitz and get off screens or pass quick short yardage to TEs and backfield receivers.
I also see lesser play action. Hundley should be in a shotgun formation.
We cannot do away with the running game completely, ineffective or not. Forcing Hundley to drop back 45 or 50 times a game is a recipe for disaster.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with XPack on the screens. In fact, I thought that the Patriots and James White laid out the perfect blueprint in the Super Bowl for Green Bay to follow. Take a versatile back like Ty Montgomery and have the majority of his yards come from leaking out into the flats to keep defenses honest and spread out. We didn't do that while we had Rodgers. I wondered about it while roasting in US Bank stadium yesterday (heat rises to the 3rd to last row of seats). Why did all of our running plays go up the gut? Why can't we use our TE's to set some blocks on the edges and run outside? Why couldn't we call some screens for the obvious passing situations such as 3rd & 10 when we know we've got to go for it on 4th down as well?

It can still be done. It isn't the magic bullet, but you've got to have those plays in your mix of play calls.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark my words. Hundley will not last all season. We will see Callahan at some point.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I will say about our WRs is they lead the world in broken tackles...rarely do you see any of them go down on first contact. Throw some quick routes and let these guys get some YAC!! Idk why they don't run that wr screen more where they have two lead WRs as blockers and throw it quick to the slot. It's time for some Double Tightend sets as well. A short passing game is just as good as running the ball. God, I wish I was calling the plays sometimes. Can you imagine lining both Cobb and Monty up in the backfield? in a wing T set and letting this guys work against lbs out in space? Smh have to be creative, the weapons on offense minus Rodgers are still here!!

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see more slants/drags/comebacks

Hundley threw a few nice comebacks and backshoulder throws so just a lot of quick throws

MM needs to realize that AR is THE BEST deep ball thrower in the NFL(in terms of arm strength and ACCURACY) and it probably isn't close honestly lol
I wouldn't expect Hundley to be able to throw deep balls as well as AR obviously but he showed he had good enough arm talent to excel in a true West Coast type offense

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, yes, a few will make jokes about seeing less points scored. However, the coaching staff is now going to be challenged to come up (I believe) two new offensive game plans - one for Hundley and one for Callahan. I'm not talking entire new offensive playbooks, but offensive game plans that are tailored to each man's skills.

The Packers have to get Hundley as many snaps with the first team offense during practice as possible. There's no reason to develop a game plan for Callahan as well.

With Rodgers being sidelined the Packers have to put way more emphasis on the running game. The offense definitely won't be successful with the coaching staff abandoning it.

God, I wish I was calling the plays sometimes.

I'm quite sure everyone else around here is glad that you don't. ;)

MM needs to realize that AR is THE BEST deep ball thrower in the NFL(in terms of arm strength and ACCURACY) and it probably isn't close honestly lol
I wouldn't expect Hundley to be able to throw deep balls as well as AR obviously but he showed he had good enough arm talent to excel in a true West Coast type offense

McCarthy is definitely aware that Hundley isn't able to throw any balls like Rodgers. He has to come up with a game plan taking advantage of his skill set though.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers being sidelined the Packers have to put way more emphasis on the running game. The offense definitely won't be successful with the coaching staff abandoning it.

It not a question of what we'd like to do, more like what we can. This O-Line can't hold the pocket for couple of seconds, far less open holes and block for the run.

Irrespective of our wishes, I frankly don't see the run game being effective till we get O-Line back.

D

Deleted member 6794

It not a question of what we'd like to do, more like what we can. This O-Line can't hold the pocket for couple of seconds, far less open holes and block for the run.

Irrespective of our wishes, I frankly don't see the run game being effective till we get O-Line back.

I guarantee that Hundley won't be able to put up a lot of points with the offense not being able to run the ball going forward.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see more slants/drags/comebacks

Hundley threw a few nice comebacks and backshoulder throws so just a lot of quick throws

Very similar to what Mora had him running at UCLA.

Members online

Latest posts